Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2010 :  2:04:12 PM  Show Profile
Ruby Slider (narjay, #1663) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an expert level Backyard Farmer badge.

"We get our meats from a neighbor and/or from our own animals. The quality and the taste are excellent. When your close to the source, you know for a fact that they are organic. Who knows with grocery store packages.

I make cheese, yogurt and butter on a regular basis. Making cheese is my favorite, because it’s fun to do. I make everything from mozzarella to ricotta to fromage blanc to??? If I can find a recipe I’ll make it. (The left side of photo is cheese curds floating in whey, right side is the finished mozarella)

I’ve got some great pictures of the animals that I plan on using for Christmas cards this year.

How can you beat homemade or farm raised? I don’t think you can. I love my homestead, wouldn't trade it for anything. Life is good on the farm."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2010 :  2:46:18 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Shutterbugs badge.

"I researched cameras and zoom lenses. I have taken over 20 photos.

Over the years I've taken many photos of nature. I now have them in a photo album and share them on my blog(s) for other Farmgirls to view. I also learned how to create a collage on-line with my photos. I'm sharing some photos of a butterfly that visited my flowers recently. I plan to purchase a new digital camera with zoom lens capabilities. This was a lot of fun! I will continue to learn about photography."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2010 :  2:52:15 PM  Show Profile
Maria Carmody (#1523) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Going Green badge.

"I got rid of my store bought cleansers, laundry detergent, automatic dishwasher detergent, etc. and replaced them with those I've made. It's amazing what basics like baking soda and vinegar can do. Your magazine and the book, Green Clean, by L&K Designs have been most helpful. I've also made my own hand sanitizer to keep in my purse from a recipe found in your magazine.

It has turned out great! Not only do I have more room in my cabinets (the basics take up less space than all the various store cleaners did) but the homemade cleansers do a better job. I had been so frustrated with film on my glassware, for example, and vinegar took care of that! My husband was shocked at first, then pleasantly surprised."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2010 :  2:57:00 PM  Show Profile
Maria Carmody (#1523) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Gratitude badge.

"I bought a beautiful, handmade journal with a leather cover on a recent trip. After my surgery on June 29, I decided that would be a perfect time to start a Gratitude Journal. (All went well with surgery!)

The journal has been such a blessing! It is something that I look forward to. I've tried starting journals before but never stuck with them. I like the simple format of this journal as well as the focus. I don't have to stare at the page and wonder what on earth I will write! (I keep it to a list of five things I am grateful for each day.)"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2010 :  3:07:33 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Heirlooms Forever! badge.

"Gardening is something we've done all our lives. My hubby and I have actually been doing heirloom planting for quite some time and are continuing to save seeds and expand our plantings

"Gardening with Heirloom Seeds" by Lynn Coulter is a beautiful book that I found to be very helpful. It is written in practical, "real" life language for the average gardener without getting too scientific. I learned new things by reading this book.

Our gardens, for years, have been planted with at least 5% heirloom plantings.

The photo is of crenshaw melon plant by heirloom."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2010 :  3:14:03 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a intermediate level Heirlooms Forever! badge.

"I (we . . my hubby and I) have been saving seeds from our vegetable and flower garden for years.

We have saved many seeds from heirloom plantings, learning more and more about saving seeds from new plants.

Our last years garden was enlarged and was planted with a least 25% heirloom plantings, if not more.

We are able to share the harvest with many folks as well.
Photo of some veggies harvested from heirloom plantings."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2010 :  3:20:06 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an expert level Heirlooms Forever! badge.

"As in 2009, we again enlarged our garden so that we could have extra to share. We planted with some heirloom seeds from last year and some that were given to me by another farmgirl.

Plantings are at least 50% of garden area in heirloom varieties and we were able to plant vegetables that we've never tried before and are enjoying the harvest of those vegetables.

I did have some heirloom seeds last year that were shared with family members and it was discussed why and how to best use them.

For this year we are already planning what vegetables we are going to save seeds from. We will be packaging them for storage and for sharing . . with descriptions of the vegetable and how we preferred to use them.

Have also shared flower seeds with family and friends.
Photo is of a columbine that we have saved and shared seeds from."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2010 :  3:32:18 PM  Show Profile
Liz Taylor (leilaht, #1932) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"I crocheted a potholder for my new kitchen. I used a pattern from crochet today called "your nana's potholder." It is black and red with ruffles. It took 5 hours to complete.

I taught my daughter to crochet. She made a dishcloth.

It is beautiful! The colors match my kitchen perfectly. It is thick enough to keep the heat off. It's not as square as I would like, but I think that is because I crochet tightly."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2010 :  3:38:52 PM  Show Profile
Starletta Schipp (star-schipp, #1927) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"I have a flock of 40 chickens - cochins, black star and red star and have now switched them to organic feed. They spend all day in the pasture but we supplement with layer feed and corn. Because of this badge, I started looking for organic feed for them and was happy to find an organic mill about 50 miles from my home and they make up their own chicken feed. I have made the switch!

I've been very happy with the change. Egg production was down for a few days but has picked right back up. My customers are also very happy with the change and I now have a waiting list for the eggs!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2010 :  3:45:22 PM  Show Profile
Starletta Schipp (star-schipp, #1927) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Tatting badge.

"I used Mary Jane's Stitching book to learn to tat and successfully learned to do the double stitch, picot, ring and chain. I found the needle tatting very easy. I thought you had to use a shuttle and was glad to see that I didn't have to. I was able to complete a piece that was 3 1/2 feet long! I used a varigated cotton thread which helped me see exactly where I was in each stitch and I think that helped a lot.

I had always wanted to learn this skill but was never able to find a teacher. The instructions in Mary Jane's book made it very easy. I'm using the piece I made to edge the banner I am making to show off all my merit badges. Thank you--I love this type of needlework and can't wait to do more pieces."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2010 :  4:05:07 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Embroidery badge.

"Completed a set of "Days of the Week" dishtowels, vegetable variety, using both embroidery and appliqué.

The hardest part was getting the patterns transferred to the towels as the towels are woven a little tighter than cheesecloth. Using computer transfer paper (hopefully I can get it off again) I ironed on the pattern with the transfer stiffener and then did the work. They turned out well."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2010 :  4:15:06 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn Askew (Sherri, #1350) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Knitting badge.

"Completed my block-a-month challenge, pieced them together, and added an edging to stabilize my afghan. Many evenings were spent sitting with my mother (who is now a good friend) talking about technique and discussing the best way to connect the blocks and to bind them.

It turned out wonderful. I had been collecting these patterns for about six months when I finally got down to doing them. Since I was going to be moving across country, it provided me with a series of small projects that traveled well. I used cascade wool in greens, blues, and purples for variety. I learned a lot of new stitches."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2010 :  4:25:23 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Homespun Christmas badge.

"I LOVE CHRISTMAS!!!
I make spend a lot of time crafting sewn items, papercraft items, jewelry, etc., etc.
I am a Christmas decorating fiend!!!!

So, I'm always making something for someone, including decorations and larger items such as handmade trees or wreaths, angels, santas . . .
And we haven't even talking about the edible items!!!!

It gives me GREAT BIG PLEASURE to share Christmas items I make!!!!

So, every year I am making something for someone who needs some special treatment during Christmas. These "someones" include disabled friends of our son (who has Down Syndrome), my dad (after my mom passed away), my sister's house (now that she is disabled). Families we know who have very little income and nothing to spend on the "extras."

Photo is of a photo of a tree that we helped provide and it is decorated with my handmade decorations (more than 25%). Decorations would have included some of the little "Scotties."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2010 :  4:31:08 PM  Show Profile
Megan Salter (HondaRebelGirl, #1383) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Know Your Food badge.

"Barbara Kingsolver’s Animal, Vegetable, Miracle was so informative! The model used throughout the book – the vegetannual – gave me a permanent way to remember what’s in season at any point during the year. I love the way she conveys conventional farm wisdom in a way that I can understand it and put it to use. I think completely differently about the food I eat and plants I buy now. I’m so glad that I was made to read this book!

I’ve learned to look at my food differently. One of the things that’s most affected me is thinking about the time it takes for food to be transported. Why buy food that was picked early and shipped from California (I live in Georgia) when I can go to my local farmer’s market and get the same thing there? Better yet, why not grow what I can myself? While I can’t be self-sustaining, I can make small changes that assure me that the food I eat is of the best quality possible.

One of the things that I’ve had a problem with while going to school is getting enough fruits and vegetables and not eating so much fast food. Besides the fact that I just feel better when not consuming hydrogenated oils and artificial sweeteners, I really do like fresh vegetables! I have a more difficult time with the fruits. However, at a local store you can buy corn, green beans, and other veggies in individual containers – much like applesauce – that don’t need to be refrigerated. These are great to take to school, as are individual containers of fruit (pineapples & mandarin oranges) that take the place of chocolate chip cookies. Of the ways I brainstormed to introduce more fruits and veggies, this has been the one to stick. Eating more fruits and veggies means I naturally consume no hydrogenated oils or artificial sweeteners. When I am forced to use a drive through, I try to select the most natural foods – salads or the fruit that can be substituted at many restaurants.

As I tracked the food I ate for almost two months, I found myself actually feeling ill when I did eat something like French fries – I was actually really happy about this! It only reinforced that eating well was the way to go.

Finally, over half of what I planted in my garden this year came from sprouts. I was happy to see that those things I sprouted myself held up better in the hot Georgia sun than those plants bought from the store for the most part.

These changes have all been positive, though some of the transitions have been a little tough. It’s far easier to eat in an unhealthy way, especially since commercials and other advertisements make the processed food appear so appetizing at times. However, when I’m conscious of what I eat, I feel so much better!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2010 :  4:39:06 PM  Show Profile
Rusty McHale (Rusty, #1572) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level embroidery badge.

"I finally finished embroidering the "Vegetable Ball" onto my tablecloth. One word of advice - don't use a tablecloth that is textured. It was very difficult to trace the drawings onto it. Otherwise it was fun to work on and I also finished a pair of pillow cases. They are going to my mom's tomorrow for her spare pillows.

I can't wait now to have a dinner party and show off my tablecloth with all the embroidered characters on it. I think it turned out great."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2010 :  4:46:51 PM  Show Profile
Lisa Smith (Boots, #1647) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level BakeOver MakeOver badge.

"My mom came over so we could pick a few mulberries and get some jam going (it didn't jell, so we ended up with syrup--oh well!) That night, we needed something to eat after all our work, and being in the farmgirl spirit, we decided to try a bakeover. This is a roasted red pepper, fresh sweet corn (local), black bean, garden cilantro, and cheddar cheese bakeover.

YUMMY! And so easy!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2010 :  4:54:05 PM  Show Profile
Diane Rathje (CountryPotter, #1641) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Community Service badge.

"One of my journal entrees for volunteering included working the county fair. This last week I worked the county fair assisting people with their entries, helping the judges place the ribbons, and making sure items were picked up after the fair was over. I was also able to demonstrate pottery throwing on a wheel in the 4H building. I worked a total of 11 1/2 hours.

Wanting to volunteer and help the community has always been something I've wanted to do more of. The journal works for me as a means of writing and setting goals and just brain storming ways to help. I have library experience so I will be helping at the church library as well as the local library during summer reading events."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2010 :  5:01:21 PM  Show Profile
Diane Rathje (CountryPotter, #1641) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"I sewed a half apron. I used a pattern and it took 4 hours to lay out, cut, sew, surge and hand stitch waist band hem.

Turned out great. It hangs in my kitchen when not in use. Maybe now I'll save on all the paper towels I've been using to dry my hands. Handy little item!!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2010 :  10:07:39 AM  Show Profile
Laurie Lemieux (Montrose Girl, #1587) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an expert level What's Your Beef? badge.

"Since I can't raise animals where I live, I ordered a lamb from a local rancher last fall. He was featured on Tom Brokaw's tour of US HWY 50 for his sustainable practices. I planned to buy another this fall but lamb is no longer on my food list. Fortunately, he also raises pigs, cows and chickens. My boyfriend ordered a 1/4 beef from one of his neighbors and we are getting a whole grass-raised beef from his cousin this fall. I've watched his steers wander in the pasture.

Compared to the stockyard I much prefer watching a cow graze in open fields. The meat tastes better and the animal's overall health is excellent. I refuse to buy stockyard meat anymore."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2010 :  10:12:41 AM  Show Profile
Laurie Lemieux (Montrose Girl, #1587) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level In the Garden badge.

"Last year I made a bean tee-pee pole in the garden. This year I did a little trellis in a planter for peas.

It's much easier to pick with the beans and peas growing up! And I didn't spend any money on supplies. I used sticks from the yard."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2010 :  10:16:54 AM  Show Profile
Laurie Lemieux (Montrose Girl, #1587) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level 'Out There' Women badge.

"I went through my pack and updated supplies and filled in missing supplies. I also included a spare pair of reading glasses for the BF.

This was great. I had needed to do this and feel much better about having everything I need."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2010 :  10:27:22 AM  Show Profile
Veronica Laviolette (Lavagirl, #1921) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"I actually learned how to knit about 6 years ago. I absolutely love it.
I have knit scarves, hats, blankets and even a purse. I taught my husband how to knit about 4 years ago.
I have a little hat I knit up for my infant son.

A lot of my projects have turned out nicely. Of course there are a few that I had to scrap. I love going to the local yarn store here, Jennings Yarns, because they have so many nice yarns."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2010 :  10:33:53 AM  Show Profile
Laurie Lemieux (Montrose Girl, #1587) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Gratitude badge.

"I kept a gratitude journal and didn't repeat an entry.

This helped me to remember the little important things in life."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2010 :  10:42:06 AM  Show Profile
Veronica Laviolette (Lavagirl, #1921) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"Last year, I bought about 6 total reusable shopping bags. And I use them whenever I go grocery shopping.

It turns out great because those reusable shopping bags can hold way more than the plastic ones can. Also, I don't have a mountain of plastic bags that I don't know what to do with."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2010 :  10:52:05 AM  Show Profile
Wende Wagner (wende, #660) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Community Service badge.

"During he Laura Ingalls Wilder tour I kept a journal of the community service done along the way.
A total of 28 hours was donated as part of "project giving" at the six LIW sites. In Iowa a dontaion was made to the Winneschiek County Food Bank, too.
The sites normally do not have volunteers who ASK to do something for the site. One site has trustees that help out for festivals and big clean ups.
I feel we made an impact as MJF farmgirls across the miles. We were also featured in 6 different newspapers across the Midwest. It was fun and I look forward to doing something like this again.
The local chapter is encouraged to donate time to the Catholic thrift store in Liberty. They need help cleaning the store."

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page