Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2010 :  1:41:35 PM  Show Profile
Audrey Brackett (acairnsmom, #1504) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"Fellow farmgirl prairie-princess and I got together to work on this badge. After many attempts we settled on the kit in a jar method. I had a nice looking salad dressing jar that fit the canning jar lid perfectly so was thrilled to repurpose it. I already had most of the items for the kit but did have to purchase safety pins and buttons. I decided to put my safety pins and needles on felted wool to protect them and keep them accessible. My little Gingher scissors were the perfect size for my kit.

I didn't care for my original fabric chosen for the pin-keep and finally settled on this dark pink and ecru small print. I didn't think I'd use this after I got it put together for the badge but I have surprised myself in the number of times I have actually reached for it. It's convenient and looks good in my sewing area."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2010 :  1:52:37 PM  Show Profile
Audrey Brackett (acairnsmom, #1504) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I cut out some 6 x 4.5 inch rectangles from a book of RV upholstery samples for my fabric. I then chose contrasting thread for photo purposes. I hand sewed the running stitch and left the edge plain on one sample and then hand sewed the backstitch and did an overhand edge finish on the next sample. For the machine stitched samples I left one edge plain, one edge was pinked, one was zigged zagged and one I used the over cast stitch found on my machine. I then did the french seam which was new to me. The flat felled I thought would be the easiest since I had used it before but it took me 3 tries before I was happy with the sample. The last seam was the faux french which I had also used before but with limited success.

I had been wanting to do some clothes sewing and know these edge finishes will come in handy. I was very pleased with the look of the french seam and know I will be using this one frequently. I had been curious about the over cast stitch I have on my Elna and feel it will be one I use a lot also but feel the plain zig zag edge would be a good option too."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2010 :  2:16:49 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a intermediate level The Secret Life of Bess badge.

"I completed the following:
* Research the health difference between raw honey and processed honey.
* Find a local honey vendor.
* Read “Bees: Nature’s Little Wonders,“ by Candace Savage.

I found the book interesting, although I have a different opinion regarding the evolutionary theory used in the book. I researched the health benefits of raw honey and purchased a quart to try new recipes with. We located a local honey harvester and will be able to buy a gallon. This led me to seek more honey recipe books from our local library, and we have already made Honey Walnut Bread."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2010 :  2:38:50 PM  Show Profile
Christy Harrill (MerryHeartSister, #1951) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Entrepreneurial Spirit badge.

"My ultimate dream business would be agritourism. I would love to have a farm that people enjoy visiting and have one-stop shopping for meat, veggies, jams, jellies, gifts, fresh cut flowers, etc. The checklist is long on what needs to be accomplished. I need to figure out how to grow a garden without the deer and rabbits destroying it. We need to pay off at least our car note to have the cash flow needed to get animals. Outbuildings need to be repaired or replaced. I have so much to learn about making soap and other personal care products. I would like to learn to make cheese when I get goats. One day, we'll get there but it may be years or even decades before that dream comes to full fruition.
I thought about how I spend my time now. With a new baby girl, I've been obsessed with making dresses. I've repurposed old clothes into dresses, sweaters and yo yo barrettes. I've knitted bodices and now I'm crocheting a tube top dress that can be used as a dress and then paired with jeans when she's bigger. This would a business that could be put in place immediately.
I went to http://www.myownbusiness.org and found a fill-in-the-blanks business plan along with a course describing what a good business plan needs. I named it Merry Heart Creations. My great-grandmother's favorite Bible verse was Proverbs 17:22, A merry heart doeth good like a medicine. We've referred to our family farm as Merry Heart Farm for years. So I think anything that comes from this farm should share that name. Even better, it takes away my sole claim to the business. If my mother would like to join in with creations of her own, she can. If my niece and daughter want to sell their creations when they are older, they can.

I was surprised at the number of things that the business plan made me think of. I was able to put down projections that in turn will be the goals that I can strive to achieve. It gave me more of a vision of where this could go."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2010 :  2:52:04 PM  Show Profile
Jeanne Mutziger (supernaynay, #1883) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge.

"I made five baby sized quilts for friends and family that all had babies (even a set of twins!) - I used fun fabric, organic cotton batting, Minky backing, and used the backing to fold over/tuck corners as my binding.

They all turned out pretty darn good, considering that I am new to quilting. All were well received, and are being used! I have uploaded a photo of my niece holding up the one I made for my new nephew, who was born May 20th. :)"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2010 :  2:26:08 PM  Show Profile
Melissa Bailey (MissLiss, #724) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a intermediate level Bustin' Out badge.

"To earn this badge, I continued to introduce new organic foods into our home every week for two more months.

It was really pretty easy to keep it going. I have started going to the Farmer's Market about 30 minutes from my house and try to purchase all of my produce there. There is a Market closer to my home, but it only has one organic stall...the Market further away has only one "conventional" stall. It is an amazing organic market. So far in the past few months we have switched to organic milk and yogurt, organic LOCAL plums, asian pears, crab apples (my four year old's choice because they look like babies), odd little green fruits that I can't remember the name of for the life of me but were delicious, green beans, celery, potatoes, onions, tomatoes, green bell peppers, peanut butter and strawberry jelly. Most of it my family can't taste any difference and is fine with the change. My daughter and I love going to the market early every Saturday morning-I hope she grows up enjoying that tradition!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2010 :  2:32:12 PM  Show Profile
Denise Kleppe (dkleppe, #1600) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"Collecting the six bags was easy. Committing to use them isn't the problem, remembering to take them with me is the problem. I now am keeping some in my front seat, instead of the trunk so I remember to use them. One day I was with my husband in his car and we forgot the bags. I ended up buying 3 more bags, instead of using plastic bags. I figured this way we can have more bags available for both cars."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2010 :  2:41:30 PM  Show Profile
Chrissy Mayhew (Skootandstiches, #1904) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Quilting badge.

"I never took an interest in sewing, when I got older and moved from Arizona to Virginia, from the city to the country, I started living differently. I took more of an interest in living off the land growing and raising my own food, crafts, sewing, canning and other things. We started going to a new church here and I soon learned that a few ladies held a quilt class. I talked to Becky who was in charge of the class, she gave me a list of supplies I needed including a portable sewing machine. I borrowed a machine from my Mom (her old machine). I went to the class the first day and they were learning how to quilt by block a log cabin square. I didn't even know how to sew and hardly could thread my machine but with trial and error I succeeded at making a 17x17 square log cabin design. The next class I started a strip quilt. I cut all the strips from three different materials. I learned how to sew the strips together and over the next several weeks I continued to go back to the class learning a new step and then working on the quilt at home in between classes.

The quilt turned out beautifully, and I learned how to sew!! I also gained a new passion for quilting and my parents were so tickled. I think my dad was very impressed! Best of all I made some wonderful life long friends with women in my church who love to sew and start each class praying for each other. I'm truly blessed to call them friends."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2010 :  2:53:05 PM  Show Profile
Melissa Bailey (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Community Action badge.

"I attended a school board meeting.

I brought a subject with me and spoke regarding how the school is handling bullying. I asked how they were making changes to handle this, to protect the bullied student. I also talked about teachers bullying students. Unfortunately, I did not receive a complete answer to either."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2010 :  11:48:40 AM  Show Profile
Judy King (patchworkpeace, #932) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a intermediate level The Secret Life of Bees badge.

"1) Using the internet, I researched the difference between raw and processed honey. Processed honey has been pasteurized destroying yeasts and enzymes. The pollen grains are filtered out. It is heated to 160 degrees to break down the natural sugar and keep the honey from crystallizing quickly. Heating above 115 degrees destroys enzymes, antioxidants, vitamins and the honey aroma. Honey naturally contains the following antioxidants: chrysin, vitamin C, catalase and pinocembrin which are destroyed when heated.
2) I found two local honey vendors: J & D Honeybees of Concord, who sell their honey at a local produce dealer and Beautiful Earth Farms out of Chelsea who sells raw, organic honey.
3) I read Candace Savage's book, Bees: Nature's Little Wonders and enjoyed it and the illustrations very much.

This was an educational experience. I feel like I'm better able to choose a healthy honey. I have much more respect for bees and the work they do."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2010 :  12:07:20 PM  Show Profile
Judy King (patchworkpeace, #932) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Grow Where You're Planted badge.

"1) I collected 7 different wildflowers, pressed, decoupaged and labeled each with their description, etc.
2) I wrote a report about the threatened and endangered wildflowers for Jackson, County where I live. I put my report in play form to make it more entertaining.

For the report section of this merit badge, I opted to present my findings in a play format. Here goes:

Did Anyone Miss the Wildflowers?

Stage: All the bogs, wetlands, meadows, roadsides and forests of Jackson County, Michigan
Time: 1860 to the present

Main Characters:

Orange and Yellow-fringed orchids, known also as Habenaria cristata and Habenaria calvarias, respectively, showy members of the elite family Orchidaceae. Both sport bright clusters of flowers with fringed lip petals that droop.

White Lady Slippers, also of the Orchidadeae family are infrequently referred to as cypripedium candidum by folks who enjoy speaking Latin, the rest of us notice their small white flowers with pouch-like lip petals.

Missing from the Carysphyllaceae family is the Starry Campion or the Silene stellata for those who insist on the Latin name. Its fringed, 5-petal flower clusters bloom from June to September for those lucky enough to find them.

Helianthus mollis or the Downy Sunflower is a cheerful member of the family Asteraceae. It chooses sunny, sandy prairie land or sometimes is found beaming its smile along lonely, railroad tracks.

The last member of our cast is the Kitten-Tail whose photo is captioned Besseya bulli in scholarly books on botanist’s bookshelves. Its greenish-yellow tails wag in the breeze above its strawberry-like leaves. It is small, somewhat fragrant and rather inconspicuous compared to the rest of the cast.

Act 1

Scene 1: Farms continue to spring from the ground throughout Jackson County thirty years hence and the land mourns for its covering of oaks, maples, pine and birch that have succumbed to the settler’s axes and saws. “Timbers!” and snorts of horses pulling plows across the rich soil can be heard. Meanwhile, the starry campion nods in farewell to its plant neighbors along the sandy soil of river flood plains.

Scene 2: We spiral forward to the winter of 1893. Most of the townships within Jackson County are settled. The City of Jackson has been organized for some time now. There are agriculture societies, newspapers, railroads, banks, schools and a horse breeding society. However, there are no more orange and yellow-fringed orchids found in the wetlands.

Scene 3: Now, onward to 1980. The railroads still run through the county, there is only one newspaper now, the schools are bigger, farms are larger and grow mostly corn and soybeans, banks come and go, and people are smiling because harness racing is a big event at the fairgrounds. Sadly, the Downy Sunflower no longer smiles on Jackson County from its habitat along railroad tracks and sunny, sandy meadows.

Scene 4: Twenty-plus years have ticked away. Kitten-Tail worries that the remnants of oak savannahs will be razed. The White Lady Slipper fears she will slip away as the din of hammer-to-nail echoes near her lakeview home. “Have mercy,” they cry.

Scene 5: Present Day. Public Meeting of the Conservation of Jackson County Wildflowers Society. Gavel sounds. Silence in room. Presentation by committee member entitled, “How to Save Our Wildflowers”. She lauds the use of controlled burns often done by the DNR (Dept of Natural Resources). “These have been successful in eliminating woody plants and brush that chokes out more delicate native plants”, she says. “We also need to fight the drainage of wetlands and harmful agriculture practices. We can save the wildflowers!” “We can save the wildflowers!” the audience echoes as they rise and push their chairs back under the tables.

Scene 6: Tomorrow. Did we save the white lady slippers, kitten-tails and the numerous other flowers throughout Michigan and other states on the threatened and endangered lists? I don’t know. But I do know if my Jackson County neighbors, family and I help, we have a pretty good chance. (White Lady Slipper waves and Kitten-Tail wags its greenish-yellow tail.)

The End.

I loved this project. My husband is also more interested in this topic since he went with me on our walks and became interested in what I learned about each flower. Originally, I had checked out several books from the library, DNR website and wildflower websites to assist in the identification process, but recently purchased my own wildflower book since I plan to continue identifying wildflowers."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2010 :  12:23:17 PM  Show Profile
Judy King (patchworkpeace, #932) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge.

"I quilted a small wall hanging, the time spent quilting was over the mandatory 3 hour limit. I used the double applique method, material, buttons, ribbons, etc that were part of my stash. It is a combination of hand and machine sewing. The appliques are attached with a hand-sewn button stitch.

Quite well since this is the first time I have used the double applique method. I found appliquéing enjoyable since the double applique is virtually mistake-proof, quick and easy compared to other applique methods. It was fun creating my own pattern, four season cats."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2010 :  4:23:33 PM  Show Profile
Cassie Jean McClelland (cjeanjellybean, #1356) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I've collected 100's of buttons so far, & learned to sew on several different kinds in many ways!

Recently, I've used my buttons on several different projects."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2010 :  4:32:37 PM  Show Profile
Chrissy Mayhew (Skootandstiches, #1904) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"When I started sewing and learned to quilt I began going to the fabric store a lot and every time I went I always checked the notions, thread and buttons and bought anything that was on sale. Pretty soon I had a good collection of buttons in several different containers and still on the cards.

I decided the best way to keep the buttons would be in a blue ball canning jar. So my collection now totals 187 to date."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2010 :  4:37:46 PM  Show Profile
Christine Johnson (Babynurse, #831) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"I completely emptied all of my kitchen cabinets, including plastic storage, dishes, cups/mugs, cookware, etc. I weeded out a very large bag of mismatched or unwanted pieces and took them to church to stock our church kitchen with. I then restocked my cabinets and put everything back in a more user-friendly order. Mission Accomplished! :)

The result: Lots of saved time in the kitchen!!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2010 :  4:46:08 PM  Show Profile
Melissa Bailey (MissLiss, #724) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a intermediate level 'Out There' Women badge.

"I made my own trail mix and cooked a meal over a campfire.

I made the trail mix out of things my family loves and tried to include one item for everyone. The mix included cashews (for the hubby), pecans (for the daughter), yogurt covered raisins (to give it a little sweetness) and dried cranberries (for me!). The overall mix is a little tart (cranberries) and a little sweet (yogurt raisins) and perfectly delicious! Everyone loves it. For the meal, it was my very first time cooking alone over a campfire, so I made it really simple. Appetizer was kettle corn sprinkled with cinnamon sugar. Dinner was hot dogs and roasted corn. Dessert was the can't live without S'more. Even though it was VERY simple stuff, the family gobbled it up and I learned a bit about cooking over an open flame. Next time I'll be a bit more adventurous and try those hobo dinners!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2010 :  4:50:50 PM  Show Profile
Melissa Bailey (MissLiss, #724) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a intermediate level The Secret Life of Bees badge.

"I learned the difference between raw and processed honey and read the book Bees: Nature's Little Wonders. I also searched around for local honey producers in my area.

I thought the book was very interesting. I had no idea that most bee species are solitary, or that honeybees were so exact in their communication! Amazing little creatures! I also learned about all the health benefits involved with switching to raw honey from the processed kind. I can't believe that for the past few years I've been thinking that I'm doing better by using honey as a sweetener, when really I'm not doing much better than table sugar by using the processed honey. I will surely be switching to raw. I did find a local bee keeper who produces honey, but right now he pasturizes it. I asked if he would be willing to keep some raw and he responded that he would ask his customers at the farmer's markets he sells at if they would like a raw option. He said no one had ever requested it before. So hopefully there is enough demand that he will start providing the raw honey for us! Keep your fingers crossed!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2010 :  5:01:01 PM  Show Profile
Melissa Bailey (MissLiss, #724) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Green Energy badge.

"I contacted my local power company to find out how our power was generated.

It turns out that our local power company uses has three power plants - one hydropower, one coal and one nuclear. It also has contracts out for renewable sources of power which make up 17% of the power it supplies to customers. These renewable sources and their percentage of the total 17% are as follows:
Wind 26%
Geothermal 57%
Solar 6%
Biomass 7%
Small Hydro 4%
Equaling 100% of the 17% renewable energy supplied by the power company. I looked into each of these ways of generating power and very much appreciated Wind, Solar and Geothermal as possibly the "cleanest" sources of renewable energy provided as they don't require the burning of anything to create energy. When asked about upping the amount of renewable energy they purchase, the woman I was speaking to said that they are always looking for new contracts and are committed to renewable energy. Hopefully they will someday switch to 100% renewable power!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  2:22:01 PM  Show Profile
Christine Johnson (Babynurse, #831) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a intermediate level Get It Together badge.

"My list of kitchen needs included:
*sifter
*soup ladle
*potato masher
*thermometer
*juicer
*hand-held butter churn (the old-fashioned glass jar kind)

I collected all of my needed items from Bed Bath and Beyond over the course of a couple of months. I went to a local antique store and shopped for a suitable butter churn - and I love it!!

I love - and have gotten great use from - all of my new kitchen tools! :)"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  2:28:58 PM  Show Profile
Christy Harrill (MerryHeartSister, #1951) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I've used homemade laundry detergent and dishwasher detergent for over three years now. I use vinegar in the rinse aid compartment of the dishwasher. I use a mixture of water, hydrogen pyroxide and vinegar instead of bleach. I have been reluctant to give up my other cleaners especially my Lysol all-purpose cleaner. I just didn't feel like I would be comfortable that the surface was sufficiently clean from bacteria and such. And I feared products like Seventh Generation would be harmful to our budget. My mom bought some essential oils and castille soap and mixed it with borax and lemon juice. She gave me a half a bottle of cleanser to try out. It works fabulous. I love that I can spray down several surfaces and tell the kids to go to town and not have to worry about what sort of chemicals that might upset their allergies or asthma.

So I got to thinking of what I could do with mostly what I have on hand. I did go and buy a large bottle of castille soap. I researched on the internet and combined some different recipes to come up with what will work for my house. I know that thyme has disinfectant properties. I'll cut some fresh thyme from the garden and boil it in some water til the oils are released. I'll use that water and add borax, washing soda, lemon juice, tea tree oil and castille soap. I'm going to use my old t-shirt rags and put them in old diaper wipe boxes. I'll pour this mixture over the rags and turn them upside down to soak completely. I'll also keep some in a spray bottle for big messes. I can have a box of wipes in each bathroom, the utility room and the kitchen. Now that's convenience! Another weakness I have is air fresheners especially since I have been couponing. You can get air fresheners for pennies or even free when you use coupons. So I have a cabinet full. I know my husband will want some sort of air freshener for the bathroom so I'm going to try a mixture of water, vinegar, tea tree oil and peppermint oil. We'll see how that works."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  2:35:45 PM  Show Profile
Hollie Thomas (cowlady40, #1710) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"I have known how to crochet for years but was never very good at it. I made what I like to call a skinny scarf. I showed my daughter how to make one and she made one for her dog!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  2:42:13 PM  Show Profile
Kerry Suit (kerbear, #975) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I earned the beginner's level Shopping Green merit badge by using 6 reusable shopping bags while grocery shopping. In the June/July issue was a pattern for reusable produce bags. I made not only myself 6 reusable produce bags made from mosquito netting but I also made my Farmgirl friend from Texas produce bags.

I have actually been using reusable grocery bags for a few years now, but I have been looking for reusable produce bags for a long time.

I recently began sewing, and making the produce bags was my first project. Thank you for the pattern, I have gotten so many nice comments on the produce bags.

I use my reusable produce bags and grocery bags for every visit to the grocery store. It makes me feel good knowing that I am doing my part!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  2:59:27 PM  Show Profile
Donna Walcott (LiliesPromise, #1382) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I went through all my dresser drawers and found spare buttons from garments collected over years of fashion faux pas. I also went through my childhood sewing box and found buttons there as well. I picked out my favorite 50 buttons and collected them in my sewing box.

My favorite buttons are the mother-of-pearl and faux tortoise shell buttons. I used some of my vintage buttons on my full-length apron."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  3:15:31 PM  Show Profile
Donna Walcott (LiliesPromise, #1382) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I collected six reusable shopping bags from various sources. My favorite is one from a quilt shop in Dry Branch, KY, rated one of the top ten quilt shops in the United States. It was an amazing trip and now I have a great bag by which to remember the visit. Besides, every time I return I get a 10% discount when I take my recyclable bag! I also have a great, colorful bag from TJ Maxx – it’s perfect because it’s colorful and extra large.

The majority of my bags ride around in my trunk for the next trip into work, bringing breakfast to the office, or shopping trip. It makes me feel more prepared for shopping when I can access these bags easily!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  3:27:12 PM  Show Profile
Donna Walcott (LiliesPromise, #1382) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge.

"My sister taught me to quilt seven or eight years ago when I visited her in Oklahoma. She bought me a great book, “Quilts, Quilts, Quilts,” and gave me a sampler quilt to work on. My first complete quilt was one made for an expectant friend which was hand quilted. Since then, I’ve made doll quilts for school fundraising auctions. I’ve sporadically toyed with quilting for years, and while I’m no expert, I do enjoy learning new techniques.

For this badge, I assembled and hand-quilted a table runner. I completed this project with my quilting mentor, my sister, while we were on a sisters retreat in June. This is also the week when I completed my intermediate level project.

I’m going to use this table runner in the dining room for family gatherings. It goes perfect with my antiques and color scheme at home."

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page