Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  3:38:55 PM  Show Profile
Donna Walcott (LiliesPromise, #1382) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Quilting badge.

"For my intermediate project, I completed an intricate whole cloth wall-hanging. For this project, I worked to hone my skills, focusing on quality and technique as well as learning more about color. The contrast between the thread and the fabric really made me focus on the consistency of my stitches.

This project was completed with the table-runner I made for my beginner badge. I plan to attach quilt-hanging tabs to this piece to display it proudly in my living room for all to see! This project also meets the requirements of quilting in the company of a friend for five hours as I quilted it with my sister."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  3:53:31 PM  Show Profile
Donna Walcott (LiliesPromise, #1382) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level In The Garden badge.

"When planting our garden this year, we decided to try a new technique. Rather than tilling a patch of land and planting vegetables in rows, we decided to plant in raised beds as organically as possible. To this end, we created the garden trellis and bean ladder with items we already had at home rather than buying these materials. We first cut brush along our hedge row and found that chinaberry branches could be repurposed as the framework of the trellis and ladder. We cut notches in the branches to support the twine we already had in the garden shed.

The plants did their job and created a wall of foliage; however, one lesson we learned was that the soil we used was too nitrogen-rich. While we had a beautiful structure, we had very few beans. The other framework was used to support the heirloom tomatoes we planted. We had better luck with the tomatoes, but a drought inhibited their fruit production. We’ll use the same plan next year, but increase the soil depth and have the soil tested before planting."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  4:09:04 PM  Show Profile
Donna Walcott (LiliesPromise, #1382) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"I tried knitting as a teenager, but I never learned how to correct mistakes. I became frustrated with having to rip out all of my stitches when making an error and quit. The advent of a new grandchild encouraged me to retry knitting. My first projects were hats, booties, and a hooded sweater.

For the beginner badge in knitting, I created a bag for a friend with breast cancer. This knitted drawstring bag is a tote for a pillowcase I sewed for her which says “One Tough Chick.” She can take this pillowcase with her to post-operative treatments as she continues to recover from a double mastectomy.

I used variegated yarn and the pattern turned out to be more striped-looking than I would have envisioned, but it’s cute and is hot pink and peach. This is one snazzy tote!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  4:20:50 PM  Show Profile
Lisa Schlossberg (#1103) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"Since I already know beginning knit stiches, I made a stack of knit washcloths from the Mason-Dixon Knitting book. We have thrown away all our sponges and no longer buy paper towels.

They turned out great. How pleasant it is to wash dishes with brightly colored dishcloths rather than soggy sponges."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  4:27:30 PM  Show Profile
Judy King (patchworkpeace, #932) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Families Forever badge.

"My family had family nights each week for the past two months. We played a variety of games including Flux, dominoes, Scrabble and Sequence. We also worked on a puzzle together. We took two family outings together and read from Betty MacDonald's hilarious autobiography out loud as we traveled.

We've always been a family that has played games and eaten together, however, finding days when both my husband and daughter aren't working has been our biggest difficulty. This was a fun badge to earn!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2010 :  4:37:37 PM  Show Profile
Rusty McHale (Rusty, #1572) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level Nellie Will-do badge.

"I just finished my "rooster" in punch needle. It took me a long time because you are working on the reverse of the actual picture. I figured it probably took me about 124 hours to actually finish this project.

I actually love my rooster and I also framed him and he is hanging in my dining room."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  2:32:56 PM  Show Profile
Christy Harrill (MerryHeartSister, #1951) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Community Action badge.

"I have discovered that there is absolutely no recycling program for our town. We are a small town but zero recycling is unacceptable. I spoke with the mayor and asked if there would be a possibility of having a recycling drive. He said that the possibility had been mentioned but never got off the ground. He had not carved out enough time for me today but I will be meeting with him again to get together a plan for a recycling drive. We will then present it to the Board of Alderman for approval.

I believe if we advertise the recycling drive and include things like batteries and paint cans that are not easily disposed of, we can generate a lot of interest. If the community is behind us, I don't think a recycling center is so far-fetched of an idea. Our waste management program is run by trustees from the county jail. I wonder if we can prove that a recycling center could be profitable for our town."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  2:43:01 PM  Show Profile
Ruby Slider (narjay, #1663) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Families Forever badge.

"My favorite game is Scrabble (husband is not a fan), his favorite game is Monopoly (I’m not a fan), so we played Dominoes and Canasta. Then we discovered (actually rediscovered) Battleship!! This silly little game is so FUN!

We don’t have children so it’s just us and we have had a blast with game night, I think it's safe to say game nights are here to stay."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  2:50:51 PM  Show Profile
Ruby Slider (narjay, #1663) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"I crocheted an afghan with multi-colored yarn. It took 6 skeins of yarn and a month to complete. I crocheted every chance I got… even crocheted during lunch, at work with a coworker.

It turned out beautiful. I’m very proud of it, but next time I will choose a lighter pattern. This one is very thick and is more like a blanket."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  3:01:02 PM  Show Profile
Nicole Christensen (texdane, #1155) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Spirit badge.

"I started a Farmgirl Chapter, "CT Simpler Life Sisters". Our first meet was 4/30 and I had eight girls 'join'. Since our first party, we have had several potlucks, attended a canning class, and hosted a local goat farmer who sells goat milk soap. And some of us were lucky enough to meet MaryJane herself this Spring!

Great! We have several upcoming "events" planned, and have discussed/shared knitting, cooking, baking, sewing, canning,organic eating, and gardening. Several girls are now official sisters of the sisterhood, new people are inquiring often, and we are forming wonderful friendships. Next week we are going to a flea market together, and will do a bag swap in September."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  3:11:32 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Heirlooms Forever! badge.

"We ordered heirloom seed catalogs, planted heirloom peas and red bell pepper. I also read the "Gardening with Heirloom Seeds" by Lynn Coulter.

My husband and I are little kids in a candy store, while reading over the heirloom seed catalogs. We plan to buy our own copy of Lynn Coulter's book also. The margins on the sides are perfect to journal in each year."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  3:20:58 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an expert level In The Garden badge.

"Have made LOTS of gates: for the fence, for the garden, and for decoration.

Repurposed an old iron gate that my dad made for decoration at the end of our driveway,

Helped build a new gate to replace one in a fence for new owners of some of our farm property.

Have several picket fence style gates that are in use around our place. They are white but "weathered" . . wanted them to look like the old ones we used to have at our farm when I was growin up.

Cold frame is in the process using some sliding shower doors, following a plan we obtained online. (I did NOT want to use the shower doors in my shower!!)

We are looking at plans for building a PVC pipe hoop house . . .

Always repurposing and recycling . . we are experts at it!!!!

Looking forward to possibility of having some fresh garden munchies in the "off season."

Photo is of one of the smaller picket gates that I made. This one decorates the entrance to our house. Two more are used to decorate our booth at the local Farmers Market. Larger ones are in use in the yard and rock gardens."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  3:29:16 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Farmgirl Legends for earning the Schoolmarm Make It Easy badge.
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  4:04:42 PM  Show Profile
Liz Taylor (Leilaht, #1932) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"I made a half apron from a Butterick pattern using material leftover from a babyshower present I made last May. It's a green plaid and a tiny khaki print.
I'll never know why I picked this pattern when I hate gathering. At least it gave me a chance to use my nifty, new rolled hem foot. So much easier with the foot!

I had to piece the ruffle, but you can't even tell. I even got to use some of the elastic from my grab bag stash. It looks lovely. I modeled it for my husband."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  4:18:51 PM  Show Profile
Liz Taylor (Leilaht, #1932) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level In the Garden badge.

"I made a bean trellis from some posts that were thrown away at work and some string. My husband dug the holes for me and I strung the string. I wrapped it around the cross bar and back down to the ground where I used some garden staples I had to hold the string down.

My beans love it! It looks so nice when you look out the kitchen window and see the wall of green in the garden. We have shared beans with friends three times this year."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2010 :  4:24:09 PM  Show Profile
Liz Taylor (Leilaht, #1932) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I have made and collected 8 reusable shopping bags. I use them when I go shopping. I keep them in the trunk so I can't forget them. Better Health stores give me a discount for using reusable bags. It also makes the cashiers think about how they pack my groceries. I hate getting a bag with one thing in it.

My daughter thinks I'm embarrassing with my collection of bags, but I don't mind. I hate the thought of all those plastic bags. Besides, mine won't tear while you are trying to carry them."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2010 :  11:21:04 AM  Show Profile
Laurie Lemieux (Montrose Girl, #1587) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Horse Dreams badge.

"I drive by several horses whenever I go into town. This past year I've watched a foal grow into a spunky 1 year old. I struggle with breeds but think the mother is an Appaloosa.

I spent one summer on horseback in the Bob Marshall wilderness and took a friend riding for her birthday one year. I can't go riding anymore for a bum knee, but had a nice visit with a horse when we went blackberry picking the other day.

Horses have always amazed me, and at times I've been a bit intimidated by them. They are magnificent creatures."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2010 :  11:28:48 AM  Show Profile
Laurie Lemieux (Montrose Girl, #1587) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a intermediate level Horse Dreams badge.

"I read "The soul of a horse". I also dug into horse origins in a book I had. I looked at several horses breeds, but the coloring of the Morgan really stood out for me and the fact that all of them are connected back to one horse from 1795.

I was shocked at the information in the book and boy did it help when we went picking berries. The horse spooked in the field. I was able to step back and wonder what made it fearful. I found some downed barbed wire the horse tripped on, and he had a cut just above his hoof that he probably hit. If not for this book, I never would have wondered and thought the horse stupid or something just as ridiculous."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2010 :  11:52:40 AM  Show Profile
Christy Harrill (Merry Heart Sister, #1951) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Green Energy badge.

"Our power is generated from lignite. I took a geology class and the professor was explaining to us that a lot of the coal has been used. Since it takes so long for the lignite to turn into coal, they've started mining lignite even though it doesn't have near the capacity to produce power like coal can. The mining is done by strip mining that has totally changed the local landscape. And our energy costs just continue to rise.

Majority of our energy in the world is produced by petroleum, coal (which I imagine includes lignite) and natural gas. Because these are fossil fuels, they take so long to form and therefore are no where close to sustainable. We continue to dig further and further to access more.

Nuclear is an interesting form of energy production. It doesn't pollute the environment with CO2. It's as inexpensive as coal. Even though my dad was a constuction worker that helped build a nuclear plant, I have to say that it still gives me the hibby-jibbies. Accidents happen despite everyone's effort to prevent them. Would saving money and/or the environment be worth the threat to our children. Also, extracting uranium from granite takes an enormous amount of energy and many countries are already depleting their uranium resources.

Biomass seems a better alternative. However it seems to require intensive farming which doesn't even out. It still pollutes. It would require massive amounts of land to replace petroleum and natural gas.

Geothermal energy uses the heat from the earth's core. Seems like a great sustainable resource. However, it appears that it can cause instability in the earth's crust and cause more earthquakes.

Hydroelectric power provides no waste and no pollution. However, it can have devastating effects on the local wildlife and aquaculture.

Solar appears to be the best options for sustainability. That major drawback being that it is extremely expensive. The cost to outfit our home with solar power would cost nearly as much as the house itself. Also, according to articles from Backwoods Home, there is a hand-in-hand correlation with energy efficiency. You can't live like the average American and expect solar power to be able to compensate.

Our home was not built for energy efficiency. We do have double paned windows so we keep both shut during the winter. We use our fireplace as much as possible and camp out in the living areas to avoid having to use the furnace to heat all the house. We keep the windows open in the spring and avoid using the AC as long as possible. My desire would be to continue practicing and learning about energy efficiency. And when we are able, I would love to be able to build an earth ship with recycled tires, bottles, etc. Maximize the energy efficiency and add solar panels."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2010 :  12:01:25 PM  Show Profile
Melissa Bailey (MissLiss, #724) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Horse Dreams badge.

"We went to a friend's birthday party and got to go on a wagon ride with two giant Clydesdales.

Well, we have seen many horses in our area, but my favorites have always been Clydesdales. They are just so big and beautiful! When we went to my daughter's friend's party and found out that her neighbors were taking everyone on a wagon ride pulled by two Clydesdales, I was so excited! I was a little afraid at how my 4 year old would handle horses that big, since she is not fond of really large animals, but she did great and they were so gentle and didn't spook when she went right up to them and put their noses. It was a wonderful experience and my daughter and I can't wait until she gets a little older so we can find riding lessons to sign her up!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2010 :  12:08:14 PM  Show Profile
Starletta Schipp (star-schipp, #1927) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"Many years ago, my aunt tried to teach me to knit but she was right handed and I was left. I didn't quite get it because I always wanted to carry the yarn in my left hand. Recently, I tried to pick up knitting again and found through the internet that I could carry the yarn in my left hand and that is was the "continental or german" style of knitting. I was thrilled to find out that I was not "doing wrong" but rather more efficiently. I have completed a scarf for my son who really wanted a black scarf with a guitar motif so I knit the scarf in garter stitch and sewed on an applique. He loves it! What I am most proud of, however, is that I was able to teach a right-handed little girl that I baby-sit for the "regular" way of knitting.
Thank you for the opportunity!

It turned out great because I found out that the journey is only part of the success and that continued practice makes for expertise."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2010 :  12:23:01 PM  Show Profile
Rusty McHale (Rusty, #1572) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Safe Toys badge.

"Finally completed my primitive dolly. I used a lot of scraps of old lace that I had laying around. She will be given to Jardin de Los Ninos - which is a shelter for women and children who need a lot of help getting their lives put back together.

I think she turned out tooooo cute for words."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2010 :  12:35:30 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Gaining Ground badge.

"We have been composting for over 3 months now, and I have read "Worms Eat My Garbage" by Mary Appelhof.

A family friend gave us a free compost bin, and we have been using it for over 3 months. I was surprised to read that the author stated she saw worms feasting on fresh onion. According to what we have read on the Internet, it said to keep onions out of the compost, because it would deter worms. Now, I am ordering the other suggested book, from our library. We are very interested in further research."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2010 :  12:48:28 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Forage for Food badge.

"Contacting our local extension office did not produce a lot of information that we did not already have just by our own experiences "in the field."

However, I did do some research on websites related to edibles in our part of Colorado and found more helpful information.

I will be trying some of the recipes in MJ's book!! Also have other recipes for "wild edibles" that I have used and will continue to use.

Foraging for edibles in our area is something that we have done for years, also leaarning when different things are "pickable" at what time of the year."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2010 :  12:58:17 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a intermediate level Forage for Food badge.

"As stated in the beginner application we have been "foragers in the field" for years.

We spend a lot of time hiking and camping in our mountains. We have done a lot of backpacking in years past as well.

We have learned by experience and study what "edibles" are out there, when they will be ripe and ready.

Our home is in an area that is considered "high desert" but at almost 7000 ft. elevation. There are pinon trees with their nuts and prickly pear cactus.

In the mountains we have found wild raspberries, strawberries, gooseberries and mushrooms.

We just have a lot of fun in our excursions!! And, while the berries are kinda small they are YUMMY.

On one trip we had to scare off a bear in order to get some berries!!!

Photo is of my hubby and myself on our one of excursions into the San Juan Mountains."

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page