Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2010 :  12:41:57 PM  Show Profile
Beverly Sherman (Beverly44, #799) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a intermediate level Heirlooms Forever! badge.

"I have used heirloom tomato and soldier beans forever it seems, saving seeds every year. I will be expanding to someflowers next year, and I read "Gardening with Heirloom Seeds."

You can't beat heirloom tomatoes, I used a beefsteak tomato it has always been our favorite."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2010 :  12:51:11 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an expert level Public Service badge.

"Well, as far as running for an office goes . . been there, done that. But most recently I have assisted in campaigns for teachers, former co-workers, in running for and WINNING the election for City Council. I have also assisted in successful campaigns for worthy school board members.

And, for a neighbor who was elected as Colorado state representative in last election and is now running for Congress.

We DO vote in every election and we vote from an educated and informed stand.

The book "FREE LUNCH" . . . hmmmmmm, interesting, concerning and informative. But not news to us, it is recommended reading!!

Since the loss of our house to arson fire in July 1994 we made it a goal to get out of debt, which we did! And to stay out of debt, which we have!!

The piggy bank in the picture just signifies our goals and "stick-to-it" attitude of financial wisdom and preparation."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2010 :  12:58:12 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a intermediate level Farmgirl Gratitude badge.

"I started my Farmgirl Gratitude journal a year ago . . . I have not missed a day for the last year . . YAY!!!

Letters of gratitude to all local service agencies and personnel have gone out for the 2nd time. They were sent in late spring.

After the loss of our house to fire in July 1994 I learned tremendous lessons in gratitude through that experience.

I have been PASSIONATE about expressing gratitude to people who I believe genuinely need it. I will continue to do that. I know how much I appreciate it!!! Have attempted to teach my step-grandchildren to have an "attitude of gratitude" and express it!

I am also kinda "pesky" about sending letters to our newspaper to promote the concept of gratitude and being thankful. I do it often and just did it again."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2010 :  1:07:15 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an expert level Farmgirl Gratitude badge.

"As stated in application for Intermediate I am PASSIONATE about having an "attitude of gratitude" and expressing it where it genuinely is needed.

I am continually sending cards and letters expressing my thanks and appreciation. I will ALWAYS do that!!!

Just in the past four months I have sent letters to individuals all across the USA thanking them for support of a breast cancer fundraising event that my daughter and I have participated in.

I have sent letters of gratitude to individuals who have provided needed support and services to my sister (disabled from brain-injury) and her hubby. Gave a subscription of MJF magazine to one lady!!!

I have sent letters and cards of gratitude for the kindnesses, support and encouragement I have received in the different stressful situations in my life.

Letters sent to say "Thank You" for public services rendered by individuals deserving of my appreciation.

I sent an open letter to the Denver Post newspaper which has a multi-state distribution area. This letter is one of gratitude, with a message that we all needed to be more mindful of having a sincere "attitude of gratitude" and expressing it appropriately."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2010 :  2:32:03 PM  Show Profile
Ruby Slider (narjay, #1663) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Self-sufficiency badge.

"I dry my own herbs (and beans). I prefer not to pre-blend them, I like to pick and choose as I cook. I do write down the favorite combinations, so I’ll remember them. Some of the ones I dried are thyme, basil, mint, stevia, chives, dill, rosemary and fennel.

I love cooking with herbs."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2010 :  2:59:01 PM  Show Profile
Ruby Slider (narjay, #1663) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a intermediate level Self-sufficiency badge.

"This is a small sampling of the canning I do each year. A chunky spaghetti sauce, pickled green tomatoes and pie filling.

I love canning. I know exactly what’s in every jar… all organic and perfectly flavored, if I do say so myself. ;-)"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2010 :  3:25:03 PM  Show Profile
AnnaLena Seeman (svenskmamma, #361) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Bee Good to Your Mother Earth badge.

"I have grown my own vegetables and herbs in raised bed my husband made me. I did not use any pesticides or chemicals, but researched about bugs etc. I found that one was attracted to the mint so next year I will move the mint to another spot to lure the bugs from the good garden. I companion planted, and put manure-soil on the garden to make it resilient to pests. The slugs were collected in beer!

Wonderful. Tasty and plenty of yield, even though some plants were eaten a bit, they bounced back and gave tons of yummie veggies and herbs."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2010 :  3:33:40 PM  Show Profile
AnnaLena Seeman (svenskmamma, #361) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Heirlooms Forever! badge.

"I selected 80% of all the veggie plants to be heirloom plants this year. Even some seed were saved heirloom seeds from friends. I read the "Gardening with heirloom seeds" and was further inspired to continue with heirlooms in the future.

There is something special about the taste of veggies from heirloom seeds and plants. They look great, but sometimes peculiar too. I love the idea of eating food that has such a history. I even won first prize for my red onions at the local fair!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2010 :  3:41:18 PM  Show Profile
AnnaLena Seeman (svenskmamma, #361) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Plant It Forward badge.

"I planted lots of extra plants this year with the purpose of sharing the harvest.

I ended up sharing tons of tomatoes, herbs, zucchini, lettuce, onions and peppers with friends, family and local families in need as the local food bank already has arrangements with the community gardens. It was rewarding to be able the share the bounty."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2010 :  3:55:53 PM  Show Profile
AnnaLena Seeman (svenskmamma, #361) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I have about 30 re-usable shopping bags in total and use them daily. Here in Canada almost everyone uses them now and most stores charge 5 cents for plastic bags to encourage people to bring their own!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2010 :  10:36:35 AM  Show Profile
Chelsey Lewallen (#2097) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I own seven reusable shopping bags and have been committed to using them when I shop for about a year.

It's great! We currently own 3 plastic bags, 2 from produce and one from a package we received in the mail."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2010 :  10:43:36 AM  Show Profile
Chelsey Lewallen (#2097) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level BakeOver MakeOver badge.

"I used the basic bakeover crust recipe from MaryJanes Idea Book and almost 100% local ingredients from the farmers market and our neighbors garden; tomatoes, zucchini, potatoes, onions, and garlic. I topped it off with cheese and fresh basil and parsley and shared it with my husband.

It was delicious! I did however grab the 400 degree handle of my skilled after I had flipped over the bake over."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2010 :  10:49:13 AM  Show Profile
Chelsey Lewallen (#2097) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I am a stitcher for theatrical costumes and already own oodles of buttons from college, my grandmother, and my mother.

I use buttons for all sorts of thing, like my homemade purses and aprons. Today I plan on sewing a bunch of suspender buttons onto my husbands slacks."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2010 :  10:58:06 AM  Show Profile
Chelsey Lewallen (#2097) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level What's Your Beef? badge.

"I began researching the beef I eat last year while living in Tucson. After watching Food Inc., watching Temple Grandin and reading her Book Animals Make Us Human, researching Michael Pollan's work, and reading Eating Animals by Johnathan Safran Foer I went from eating the cheapest beef to only local beef. I became a regular customer of a local vendor at the farmers market and was invited to work for a day on their farm but was unable to as we moved from Arizona to Idaho! They had the most incredible beef jerky and cuts/ ground beef and I felt great about how well the lean meat cooked and knowing that the animals were not crammed in pens and being pumped with hormones, corn, and antibiotics. I continued to investigate my beef ranchers and met a fellow customer who knew the butcher personally and who would bless and thank each cow before she slaughtered them. This settled well with me after hearing about horror stories and animals still being alive as they on assembly line hooks and the awful abuse from workers they may receive. I still feel that cattle have it better off than many other factory farmed/ "free range" animals thanks to the work of Temple Grandin and her cattle chutes and serious work in my home state of Colorado.

After traveling for a month to Costa Rica and Colorado and not eating meat at all I decided to become a vegetarian. After much thought I concluded that even if I raised my own animals there was no way I could eat them and that either horrific and humane slaughtering methods no longer bode with my personal ethics. I continue to cook local, usually organic, humanly raised and slaughtered beef for my husband and only miss bacon occasionally. :)"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2010 :  11:05:24 AM  Show Profile
Chelsey Lewallen (#2097) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Bustin' Out badge.

"I have been eating organic most of my life, but especially in the past year. I have shared my knowledge with one of my best friends, her husband, and their three year old daughter. I encouraged them to check out a couple of documentaries including the Botany of Desire and to help them understand why organic food is worth the couple extra cents and how important it is to support organic farming.

My friends family and my family eat out less, shop at local and farmers markets, and feel a great sense of responsibility for what we are putting into our bodies. We also have a great awareness of the corruption of agriculture, cross pollination, and the long term affects of fighting mother nature with pesticides. We have also learned the corruption of large organic industries and that investigating your food and striving to eat from small companies who can sustainably maintain healthy conditions for their products can be more important than a USDA label."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2010 :  11:25:20 AM  Show Profile
Beverly Sherman (Beverly44, #799) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level What's Your Beef? badge.

"I have always known the difference between grass fed beef and corporately raised beef. We have always raised our own beef and pork, fed with our own grass, hay and grain.

By raising our own, we know what we are eating. Works perfectly."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2010 :  11:30:09 AM  Show Profile
Beverly Sherman (Beverly44, #799) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level The Secret Life of Bees badge.

"I watched "Vanishing Bees."
I have always had a bee/butterfly garden, with flowers and bushes for both. We have a hive of bees in one of our black walnut trees, and our neighbors raise bees and sell honey.
I read "The Secret Life of Bees."

The bees give us a more bountiful garden, and the honey is wonderful."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2010 :  11:34:51 AM  Show Profile
Beverly Sherman (Beverly44, #799) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Horse Dreams badge.

"As the Amish have moved into our area there are more horses, and many others seem to be raising horses than there used to be.
My granddaughter and I are attracted to the Appaloosa. She is very interested in horses, so the whole family is. She attended horse camp the last 2 years.

Having my granddaughter interested has drawn my interest too, so it is working out very well."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2010 :  11:42:11 AM  Show Profile
Laura Hughes (Morning, #1915) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a intermediate level Horse Dreams badge.

"I read the book Soul of a Horse and visited the author's website.

I also chose the Clydesdale to research. They started out in Scotland but have dwindled in numbers. There are about 5000 worldwide.

I learned a lot from the book and if I ever own a horse, I would definitely research his methods."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2010 :  11:57:57 AM  Show Profile
Linda Douglas (lindadouglas, #2117) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a intermediate level The Secret Life of Bees badge.

"On the first monday of every month, the rutherford county beekeepers association meets, on October 4th, I attended. I met several nice people but specifically a man named Ken Kizer, I have been to his house once and bought a jar of honey. Yum! I am on my way to becoming a beekeeper next spring."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2010 :  12:03:27 PM  Show Profile
Linda Douglas (lindadouglas, #2117) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level In the Garden badge.

"I planted half runner green beans and these are the teepees I made for them to climb on.

Worked out great, next year just not so close to my corn."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2010 :  12:09:24 PM  Show Profile
Christy Harrill (MerryHeartSister, #1951) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I have a sewing kit because I do a lot of mending on my husband's clothes. I keep needles, thread, pins, buttons, etc in a small box. However, I was using a plain tomato pincushion. So I made a pincushion out of recycled sweaters and an olive can. I love it! I think I'll make some more and dress them up with felt, beads and maybe even a crocheted cherry to top the cupcake."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2010 :  12:30:55 PM  Show Profile
Melissa Carr (dragonflyhoneybee, #2157) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level BakeOver MakeOver badge.

"I had been wanting to try out this easy and seemingly delicious way to make a quick healthy dinner using the veggies from the garden. My husband is a stickler for "not eating his veggies," so I thought this was a great way to hide some mixed in with the rest of his favorites:) So, I made my first BakeOver with organic ground beef, carrots, onion, green bell pepper, corn cut from the cob, (all veggies from the garden), with some colby jack cheese to top it off!

It was the BEST EVER!! I will be trying this again to go for my next level. :) I can't wait to try the dessert version with some of my fresh Washington apples from the orchard!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2010 :  12:38:44 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning an expert level Light the Way badge.

"I split a cord of wood myself.

This is definitely hard work. We borrowed a log splitter last year, but this year I am using a maul ax, and/or wedge and sledge hammer. The stump pieces were/are the hardest wood to split. I think I have impressed my husband by splitting a log with one hit. Thanks MaryJane for this challenge!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2010 :  11:38:16 AM  Show Profile
Linda Douglas (lindadouglas, #2117) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Gaining Ground badge.

"I have tried several times to produce a compost heap on the ground with little to no success, as something would come along and eat my rotting veggies or it just would decay incorrectly. So early this year, my best friend and I invested in a large trash can and with the help of a drill for air holes, we made a composter. It's the fall and my compost looks beautiful or at least as beautiful as a compost heap can look."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page