Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 525

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2010 :  11:43:58 AM  Show Profile
Linda Douglas (lindadouglas, #2117) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Embroidery badge.

"I love to embroider (when I have the time) and I have recently started the Crazy Chicken Ladies Chapter in Murfreesboro. So the first order of business was to make a traveling journal, I bought a very inexpensive journal and then dressed it up with old photos (mostly of children with chickens) and then drew the chicken out on a piece of muslin and started to embroider her to go on the front. I experimented with several stitches and even put a little bead as her eyeball. This squawking beauty turned out better than I expected. (I think I am gonna do another one to go on the traveling apron that will accompany the journal.)"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2010 :  12:06:21 PM  Show Profile
April Choate (sonshine4u, #658) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge.

"I made a quilt for my daughter for her new bedroom in our new home. I started it a month before we moved in 2005 and didn't complete it till around her birthday this year 2010! It only took me 5 years to get it done! LOL! She helped me pick out the fabric and this was my first major quilt that I have ever done. Because I started before the move, it didn't get worked on a lot after the move. But I did try and work on it a little at a time.

It turned out beautifully. It isn't perfect by any means. It definitely has more mistakes than I can count, but I learned so much from doing it and it has already helped on my other quilt projects! The biggest thing that threw me off, was the seam allowance got messed up initially on the squares and so when I went to put them together, they weren't fitting as they ought to. I had to throw my hands in the air and wing it! I think it turned out really cute and my daughter loves it!
*The photo shows only the middle section of it."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2010 :  12:12:13 PM  Show Profile
Melissa Carr (dragonflyhoneybee, #2157) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Going Green badge.

"I eliminated all cleaners from my home that are not "green." I have written a mission statement for my household, "We pledge to only use environmentally friendly, people friendly cleaners in our home to protect the health of our planet and the health of ourselves." I have since shared with my mom the benefits of cleaning with "green" cleaners and the reasons why to avoid the chemical laden counterparts!

My house doesn't have a "chemical" smell after my afternoon cleaning, plus I don't have a headache either!! My mom was very attentive to my found information and is trying out my suggestions of products to use in her home to replace her chemical favorites!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2010 :  12:18:36 PM  Show Profile
Melissa Carr (dragonflyhoneybee, #2157) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I have collected 10+ reusable shopping bags that we use on our shopping trips to the store. Each time we use them we recieve a $0.05 credit on our shopping bill. After we unload the groceries, they go back into the car for our next trip so they won't be forgotten!

It is great to not have all of those plastic bags lying around that I have to tote off to be recycled. Plus it is a great plus that I am doing the planet and my wallet (however small) a great service!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2010 :  12:29:17 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth Parodi (elizparodi, #1979) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an expert level Backyard Farmer badge.

"My family stopped buying mainstream meat about a year ago. We have a friend that brings us meat twice a year from his ranch. When we first tasted the meat there was such a taste difference, we wondered what the heck we had been eating all this time! Now we are spoiled!

Though I have made my own butter in the past, I have not had the opportunity to do so in recent years. Both my husband and I make our own soft cheeses, after reading "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" and seeing how easy it is. This is our recipe for mozzerella:

The first step is to pour a gallon of whole milk into a heavy bottomed stock pot. You can use regular old homogenized, pasteurized milk from the store, just be sure it is not ultra-pasteurized. Slowly heat the milk to 55 degrees F. Meanwhile, dissolve the citric acid in distilled water and set aside. Then mix the rennet and water together and set aside. Be sure you know which mixture is which! When the milk reaches 55 degrees, stir in the citric acid solution. Keep heating until you reach 90 degrees F.

At 90 degrees F, you need to stir in the rennet solution. It will immediately start to curdle the milk making it initially look like yogurt. Continue heating to 105 degrees F. In a very short period of time, there should be very distinct curds and pale whey. When the temperature reaches 105, remove from the heat. If the whey is fairly clear (it will have a slight yellowish cast), you are good to go on to the next step, if it is still a bit milky, wait a few minutes and it should clear up.

I line a colander with a double layer of cheesecloth and drain the curds and whey. You can catch the whey if you like and make ricotta cheese or keep the whey to use in baked goods. Or, you can simply let it go down the drain. Let the curds drain for a few minutes. They do not have to be completely dry to continue on to the next step.

Place the mass of curds into a microwavable bowl. Heat the curds in the microwave, on high, for one minute. Remove the bowl and stir with your hands or two spoons to mix the curds and evenly distribute the heat.

Heat two more times for 35 seconds, mixing in between. After the last time, sprinkle on the salt and then knead the cheese. At this point, it should start looking different... smooth and shiny... almost like taffy. Extra whey will come out of the cheese; it can simply be drained off. I wear vinyl disposable gloves at this point because working the cheese with your hands is much more efficient, but that cheese is hot and the gloves protect you just a bit. Knead until the cheese is smooth and can be easily shaped. If it is uncooperative, try heating for a few seconds more. Just be careful, if you overdo the heating, your cheese can become grainy, which is no good.

Working quickly, before the cheese cools, form it into whatever shape you wish. I made two logs out of it, but you could make small balls or one large ball. You could even shape the cheese in molds, if you like! Place the shaped cheese in cold, distilled water to cool.

Store tightly wrapped in plastic wrap for up to one week. Slice and enjoy! What a treat!

Attached is a picture for our holiday cards this year!

We absolutely love our friend's fresh from the farm meat, and making our own cheese is tasty and rewarding. The chicken greeting card is a riot, and my dear friend laughed so hard when she saw it, I thought she was going to fall over! ;)"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2010 :  12:36:27 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth Parodi (elizparodi, #1979) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Heirlooms Forever! badge.

"It was very important for me to replace all of my vegetable seeds with heirloom seeds this year after reading "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle". But not only that, I had to plant non-GMO seeds. The ones with stars denotes heirloom:

*Tomatoes (6 varieties)
Zucchini
*Chinese Red Noodle Bean
*Asian Winged Bean
*Chervena Chushka
Bell Peppers
Okra
*Dill
Basil
*Thai Basil
Black Beans
Butternut Squash
Cayenne
Corn
*Crystal Apple Cucumber
*Fennel
Garlic
Patty Pan
Peas

We got 232 pounds of fresh wonderful vegetables this summer, and 8 out of the nineteen non-GMO plants were heirlooms.

I ordered the book "Gardening with Heirloom Seeds" by Lynn Coulter and was kind of disappointed with it.

First, I went straight to the back where she had a list of companies offering heirloom seeds. As you know, not all heirlooms are non-GMO, and some of the companies she listed are owned by Monsanto!!!

She had clear instructions on how to save seeds that she had listed in her book, but her list of vegetables is very sparse. She really only went over very common vegetables. There were no leeks, broccoli, dill, arugula, nor rhysomes like ginger or asparagus, to name a few that I saw were missing.

I would say its a good start for a beginner. I'll stick with my John Seymore book.

I loved all of the flavors of my vegetables, but was disappointed with the purchase of the book."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2010 :  12:46:54 PM  Show Profile
Susan Woodward (Greenwoodgirl, #2098) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"This is a hostess apron. I purchased and downloaded the pattern off www.youcanmakethis.com. The title of the item is "The Duet Apron Set," because there are instructions for a child's apron included (which I plan to do with my daughters soon!). I purchased my coordinating fabrics at Hancock Fabric Store. It took me approximately 4 hours to make the apron, from cutting the pattern to construction.

For being a sewing novice I love this apron! I love the colors and patterns of the fabric. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. And now I know I can make several of these, and even better. I will enjoy wearing this apron a lot!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2010 :  2:51:23 PM  Show Profile
Maria Somdecerff (#2166) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"After my third attempt to learn knitting, it stuck. I knitted a couple of scarves and a dishcloth. I have even shown my best friend the knit stitch so she can make a scarf for herself.

It turned out great! It is so fun and nice to work on something while your son is at the orthodontist. The thought of doing my own socks is peaking my interest."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2010 :  3:10:36 PM  Show Profile
Maria Somdecerff (#2166) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Knitting badge.

"Well, after making a few scarves, it was time to move on. I found a pattern for a really cute purse that once it is done has to be felted. I learned how to use double pointed needles and circular needles, they are fun. It took a while to get the hang of them, but they are not as bad as I feared. I need to know how to use them in order to make socks.

I also had to make flowers that went on it. Knitting flowers is interesting.

It is adorable! So many of my friends want me to make one for them. Christmas gifts maybe? ;)"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2010 :  3:27:28 PM  Show Profile
Maria Somdecerff (#2166) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge.

"I have always had a passion for colors and fabrics. So, I finally took a class at the local quilt shop. I am hooked! We learned how to put the whole thing together from beginning to end. It was a four week class and I loved every minute of it. (Except what it did to my pocketbook!)

It is beautiful!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2010 :  3:38:12 PM  Show Profile
Maria Somdecerff (#2166) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Quilting badge.

"Well, I took another class and this one was more advanced. It is a cinch for me. I LOVE QUILTING! I then took on making several quilts at once. The different projects keep my going. I have attached a picture of the quilt I made for my friend.

Beautiful!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2010 :  4:44:55 PM  Show Profile
Christine Johnson (Babynurse #831) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level BakeOver MakeOver badge.

"To earn this beginner level, I ordered the MJF Special Recipe Issue magazine and browsed all of the BakeOver recipes. The kids and I chose her Potato and Bacon BakeOver and got to work together in the kitchen. I did all of the chopping and sauteeing (the kids are still a bit small to do that part), the kids then helped me mix and roll out the budget mix crust. They have worked in the kitchen with me before, but never with dough, so it was a first, and LOTS of fun!

The finished product, although it didn't look as pretty as I'd hoped, was definitely delicious! I'm still working on getting the kids' diets more in line with fresh and organic whole foods, rather than the processed and packaged foods they've had most of thier short lives. So they were a bit timid at first. Once I offered to add ketchup they were completely on board! :)"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2010 :  4:55:45 PM  Show Profile
Maria Somdecerff (#2166) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level Quilting badge.

"Well I have become an expert quilter. I have taken on techniques (such as prairie points, hexagons, and applique) that others shy away from. I have shared this with friends of my son, ladies at my Stitch Group, and my neighbor. Additionally, I have learned to quilt by hand by some nice ladies at the church quilting circle.

I have also become Quilt Exhibit Coordinator for the Oklahoma Steam Threshers & Gas Engine Association. They have a big Steam Engine Show every year with events for the women. I entered one of my quilts and won 4th place.

I also made the quilt for the raffle giveaway last year. It was a big success with over $1,000 in tickets sold.

I have also gone to the International Quilt Festival in Houston and volunteered with Marianne Fons as a Quilt Angel.

I am also starting to create my own patterns. I am also becoming interested in purchasing a long arm machine to do more of my own quilting."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2010 :  5:04:24 PM  Show Profile
Melissa Carr (dragonflyhoneybee, #2157) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Gaining Ground badge.

"I have started a compost pile in two old tires I found in a free pile in the front of a neighbors yard. I stacked them on top of one another and have been successfully composting for over a year now.

It is great to know I am turning my veggie waste into rich black soil for next planting season. I am also reducing my trash output which is another plus!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2010 :  10:56:25 AM  Show Profile
Maria Somdecerff (#2166) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I have collected a lot of buttons this summer. I started buying sewing boxes at estate sales that have all kinds of goodies in them. I especially love the buttons. I plan to put them in the center of flowers I am appliquéing on a quilt.

It's fun. I have them all in an old blue mason jar. They look great in my sewing room."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2010 :  11:07:55 AM  Show Profile
Maria Somdecerff (#2166) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"I pulled all of those unruly storage containers out and matched them all up. It took a while but when it was done, it felt great. There were several that had missing lids or lids with missing containers. All of those were donated.

It feels so good to have it all organized. Taking care of leftovers is not a chore now."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2010 :  11:25:27 AM  Show Profile
Sherri Reece (slreece, #2090) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Buttoned Up badge.

"I remembered I had a bag of buttons in my scrapbooking stash that were color coordinated. I sat upstairs in my crafty area and threaded this right up. I asked my daughter to hold out her wrist for me to tie it off.

It must have gone well because -Daughter - "Can I have it?"
Me - "Do you like it?"
Daughter - "Well, can I?"
Me - "If you want it."
Daughter - "Really cute"
I found it on her nightstand and threw it on MY wrist long enough to take the picture. She is planning on making some for Christmas for her friends."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2010 :  12:42:24 PM  Show Profile
Sherri Reece (slreece, #2090) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Embroidery badge.

"I thought my first Embroidery badge should honor Henrietta. So I stitched her my favorite chicken color (Buff) and gave her my favorite apron color (blue). I attached her to some fun colorful material, then attached a ruffle, a backing and sewed on a safety pin to take on an off whatever jacket/shirt I might be wearing.

Turned out pretty well. I wish I had used a stabilizer on the back, the stitching puckered some. I also wish I had thought to put my name/initials on the other side of my number. I thought the freehand numbers turned out well for a beginner!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2010 :  12:50:01 PM  Show Profile
Sherri Reece (slreece, #2090) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Heirlooms Forever! badge.

"I Read the Gardening with Heirloom Seeds by Lynn Coulter. I must confess to being an avid heirloom seed fanatic! I love antiques. I have a dough board that belonged to my G-G-Grandmother, my G-G-Grandfathers wood checker set, a vanity that belonged to another G-G-Grandparent, I could go on forever. So growing plants with their own history fascinates me. I grow much more than 5% heirloom and have already begun planning next years garden.

I loved the book. I am going to turn some attention to the flowers listed in the book. I order most of my seeds from Southern Exposure Seed Exchange in Virginia. The varieties I grew from them this year were, Lemon Cucumbers, Old Fashioned Tennessee Vining Pumpkin, Yellow fleshed Moon and Stars Watermelon and Yellow Crookneck Squash. My husband kicked up a fuss over yellow fleshed watermelon taking up room in the watermelon patch - until he tried it. It was the best surprise of the season. The "Peanut" pack is bean seeds from a lady who moved into our area from East Tennessee. She has since moved back to be nearer her children, but she left this pole bean variety for us to remember her by."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2010 :  1:17:37 PM  Show Profile
Sherri Reece (slreece, #2090) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a intermediate level Get It Together badge.

"After completing the clean up portion of my "Get It Together" badge, I went through items that were duplicates and gave them to my 18 year old who still lives at home but one day will start her own home away from home. I made a list of all the things I could still use and shouldn't have much trouble finding them. I still need more measuring cups and spoons for they always seem to disappear. I would like to have a large free standing grater and an old timey potato masher.

I have been very excited about adding to my kitchen tools. I guess men are this way about their tools too. :) I wanted to share a photo picturing two of my more unique items that I haven't used yet. One is a hand turned grinder and the other is an operational wood cook stove. We bought the cook stove at an auction from a man who was living "off the grid". The stove is not antique but it does work. I just need to get it vented to the outside."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2010 :  1:34:15 PM  Show Profile
Jessie Yonkovit (JessieMae, #134) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Tatting badge.

"Using the instructions from MaryJane’s Stitching Room, I learned to tat and created a yard-long (3 feet) length of tatted lace. I learned to make a double-stitch, a picot, a ring, and a chain. I used thick thread and the biggest tatting needle I could find to make figuring out the motions with the pictures in the book easier, so my length of lace is very, very large...each ring is about 3/4 inch high!

I am very happy to have learned this new skill. I remember my grandfather once mentioning (with a bit of emotion in his voice, if I remember correctly) that his mother had been an expert at tatting, and it makes me feel very close and connected to her to have acquired this dying art that she enjoyed...even though she had died before I was even born."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2010 :  1:48:08 PM  Show Profile
Jessie Yonkovit (JessieMae, #134) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Safe Toys badge.

"I made five bean bags out of unbleached muslin and stuffed with baby lima beans. I embroidered the bean bags with the words to the old nursery rhyme, “Pease porridge hot....”

I am very pleased with the bean bags. I double-stitched the seams and backstitched them as well, so they are quite sturdy and safe for a child to play with. I think I am going to hang on to them for my child to play with some day."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2010 :  1:55:05 PM  Show Profile
Linda Calhoun (Goose Creek Gals, #2116) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Gratitude badge.

"I've started a journal, something I have never done before.

It's going well I try to write something in it every couple of days."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2010 :  2:06:15 PM  Show Profile
Linda Calhoun (Goose Creek Gals, #2116) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Community Service badge.

"I have started volunteering at a local spay/neuter clinic.

I go twice a week on my days off to volunteer, I usually stay for about 6 hours, which is how long they are open.
I have learned to do everything from admitting the animals in to cleaning cages, preparing surgical prep tool packs to helping with post surgery animal recovery. It has been a great experience. It has been gratifying to me knowing that giving a little of my time can help out in some way for the good of these little guys."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2010 :  11:49:50 AM  Show Profile
Maria Somdecerff (#2166) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I purchased a dozen reusable shopping bags. Some of these are for my use and some are for my husband to use.

So far so good. The clerks at the stores don't always like them, but too bad."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 525 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page