Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2010 :  12:10:38 PM  Show Profile
Paula Purtteman (dandylee, #2195) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"I purchased a half apron pattern from a lady on Etsy. It took approximately 2-3 hrs to complete my apron. I have also committed to wearing it every time I am in the kitchen. So far I have stuck to my commitment!

My half apron is white cotton, with a red check ruffle along the top and red checked ties. It is embellished with red rickrack. I think it turned out wonderfully, and I am excited to make more now. :)"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2010 :  12:32:04 PM  Show Profile
Chelsey Lewallen (#2097) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Families Forever badge.

"My husband I and play backgammon almost every night. We are seasoned gin and scrabble players and have started having a game night every other weekend or so with our neighbors; 'Touch,' Parcheesi, puzzles, Taboo, Apples to Apples, etc....

It's an awesome way to spend quality time together and a good excuse for us to spend time with our neighbors, though the extra entertainment is not necessary. :)"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2010 :  12:36:57 PM  Show Profile
Chelsey Lewallen (#2097) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"I am on a quest to eliminate most plastic from our home and kitchen. I recently gave away and recycled all our plastic food containers and am now using glass.

To store food we use a method I learned in Spain of putting your leftovers in bowl or plate then sticking a plate over the top rather than using saran wrap."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2010 :  12:41:44 PM  Show Profile
Chelsey Lewallen (#2097) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"One of the nurses at my job raises organic chickens and we have become patrons of buying her eggs.

Her daughter writes notes on the box thanking me for my order and pricing the eggs; "$2.00 please." They are delicious and it's awesome that I know exactly where they are coming from."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2010 :  1:02:27 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Spirit badge.

"Well, we had FARMGIRL FUN!!!!!
I invited several friends, some of whom were neighbors, and some who are also vendors at our Farmers Market.
We had a fire in the firepit, shared veggie (from my garden) snacks and such from my garden.

I hung the FARMGIRL Garland that we used on our breast cancer walk. It has a card with all kinds of Farmgirl comments, ideas, suggestions, etc. hanging on it.

I put together take home gifts which included the FARMGIRL SISTERHOOD brochure, "What's A Farmgirl" cards from MJF, teabags and chocolate.

We talked about being farmgirls, shared funny stories, enjoyed photos, and talked about MaryJanesFarm, the sisterhood and the Farmgirl Connection.

There were actually two parts to this "party". The fun, information and gifts were also shared with another group who were unable to come to my house.

The photo is of some of the farmgirls we could get photographed.

The link to photo album in Photobucket is also of those we could get photographed.

http://s842.photobucket.com/albums/zz347/cjapianist/Farmgirl%20Frolic/"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2010 :  1:49:54 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a intermediate level Farmgirl Spirit badge.

"We have not had new neighbors for a LONG time . . . not within miles!!!!
However, just this fall we did get new neighbors!!!

I took them a basket of freshly . . and I mean freshly baked banana bread, some mugs, a selection of tea, coffee, apple cider, napkins, magnetic memo pad, fall kitchen towel, lovely basket with a handle and a LOT of phone numbers.

We were not able to actually help them move into the house. However, we have been able to help with irrigation system issues (we are members of the same water users association), a lost puppy and getting acquainted with the other neighbors.

The "THANK YOU" acknowledgement was "what a wonderful surprise," and "timing couldn't have been better."

I look forward to getting to know these neighbors better."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2010 :  2:41:44 PM  Show Profile
Rebecca Tando (HennyBecca, #1952) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"I have learned to crochet (about six years ago) and made blankets for each of my children. For this badge I created a little soap pocket made of twine for washing dirty hands after gardening. It holds a lovely goat milk soap with essential oils.

It turned out so well! Easy to crochet and fun, too."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2010 :  3:02:54 PM  Show Profile
Rebecca Tando (HennyBecca, #1952) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Crochet badge.

"I designed and crocheted this little amigurumi stuffed ewe! It took about three days, start to finish, working evenings after my "day" job.

Since I do not have family or friends nearby, I stayed in touch with my friends throughout the project by utilizing the internet.

It's adorable! I didn't know it would be so cute. :D And it was fun discussing with my sisters and a couple of different friends the ins and outs of how different stitches would affect the overall look, what threads to use and what animal I wanted to try and crochet."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2010 :  3:12:16 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an expert level Farmgirl Spirit badge.

"Well, we HAVE spread the word about Farmgirl Connection, Farmgirl Sisterhood and Mary Janes Farm . . all over Colorado, Arizona and parts of California.

We went as "FARMGIRLS for the FIGHT" to an Avon breast cancer event in Santa Barbara just a month ago. We were decked out as Farmgirls, wore our Sisterhood necklaces and were able to share with walkers, crew, Avon staff, family members and others we encountered. Those truly interested got the full "scoop."

While off the event we wore our "Certified Farmgirl" t-shirts, necklaces and, again were able to talk about the what's, why's, how's and where's.

On a more local, smaller scale I have talked about all of this with neighbors, friends and family, shared my MJF magazines with friends.
I have distributed the Sisterhood brochure and "What's a Farmgirl" cards at Farmers Market and at local CSA/Market meetings.

I had requested "What's a Farmgirl" cards and they were sent by Denali, just prior to our trip to California and I was able to print out Sisterhood brochures.

We shared some of this on the Connection in the ACROSS THE FENCE section in :
- "IN IT TO END IT" . . Farmgirls for the Fight".
- "Certified Farmgirl t-shirts . . and a blue VW bug". (same photo included here)

So, we've done a LOT of "talking" and sharing about it out there in large and small event venues."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2010 :  3:20:13 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level Knotty Farmgirls badge.

"It was nice to actually learn about knots. I have been tying most of these knots without knowing their "official" names.

But with all our camping, backpacking, set-ups for Farmers Markets, craft fairs, hauling hay, firewood . . . and, well, the list goes on and on . . we've used all kinds of knots.

Three uses for SQUARE KNOT include:
- macrame textiles
- tying belts and sashes
- jewelry beading
Three uses for BOWLINE KNOT include:
- attach jib sheet at clew (sailboat)
- loop at end of docking line
- creatively used as slip knot
Three uses for TWO HALF HITCHES include:
- basis for knitting
- rims of fishing nets
- furled and sashed sails.

Made my swing just as in MJs "OUTPOST" book. My neighbor gave me a 2x8 piece of redwood left over from his deck. Sawed to length, drilled holes, sanded and finished with Super Deck natural finish. It's hanging in a cedar tree at the top of our garden. (Because of losing all our trees in a fire in 1994, finding one standing with a sturdy branch was a challenge).
My hubby and I took turns sitting and swinging in it . . . rather pleasant!!!
A fun project!!!!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2010 :  3:30:20 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer Morris (#2052) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"On June 6 we received 27 baby chicks in the mail. We have worked hard all summer building their coop and we are excitedly awaiting their eggs! They are such a joy to watch.

We love being chicken farmers! We have also added 2 goats to our farm and are anxious to expand next spring!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2010 :  3:39:39 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer Morris (#2052) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"I crocheted a Christmas blanket.

All my boys want to cuddle under it! It took a lot longer than I thought to make it big enough for several of us to cuddle under."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2010 :  3:46:36 PM  Show Profile
Laurie Lemieux (Montrose Girl, #1582) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Self-sufficiency badge.

"I've been drying herbs the last couple of years. What fun. This year I did a little more and have thyme, basil, lovage, chive, and sage.

I don't mix them but keep separate containers that I can play with for each meal. All the spices came in handy when I made spaghetti sauce."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2010 :  3:53:28 PM  Show Profile
Laurie Lemieux (Montrose Girl, #1582) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a intermediate level Self-sufficiency badge.

"I've been canning for years. And each year there are new items. Last year I did a peach BBQ sauce. This year I made ketchup. So far this year I've canned spaghetti sauce, sauerkraut, peaches (various flavors), chicken, chicken broth, salsa and tomatillo salsa. I still have all the apple items to can up, but have made applesauce and pie filling in the past along with pickles.

I love going to the pantry in the middle of winter and grabbing a jar of something I put up. I know what went into it and what didn't. That's more important to me."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2010 :  12:38:30 PM  Show Profile
Susan Klein (docfarmgirl #2201) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"I learned to knit from a friend a couple weeks ago. I had invited some friends over to learn with me. I quickly learned the knit stitch and then helped others, like my 12 year old niece, to knit. We made dishcloths. Two weeks later we met again and learned the purl stitch and made another dishcloth combining the knit and purl stitches.

The two dishclothes turned out great and I plan on making some as stocking stuffers."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2010 :  12:47:36 PM  Show Profile
Anna Vaagen (vaagen, #2074) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Gaining Ground badge.

"I started a compost heap, and I'm feeding it daily! This helps me in many ways. I don't feel quite as bad about "old" vegetables and fruit in my house... the garden can still eat them!

It's going very well! I see the little compost worms getting to work in there! I can only imagine how great my Spring garden will look when I spread the soil with this rich compost!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2010 :  12:59:46 PM  Show Profile
Anna Vaagen (vaagen, #2074) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I have many reusable shopping bags, becuase I have a large family, and we buy a LOT of groceries! I finally took the step toward making sure I actually use them each trip, by placing them in my trunk. That way, I won't get to the store and realize I forgot them once again!

It is working very well! I've used them multiple times now!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2010 :  1:20:48 PM  Show Profile
Anna Vaagen (vaagen, #2074) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"We bought 4 chickens, and are feeding them organic feed. They are layers, and we should be able to harvest our own eggs by December!

We love having chickens. Our daughters look in each day to see if there are eggs!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2010 :  1:36:51 PM  Show Profile
Lori MacDonald (lorileemacd, #2174) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"I have decided to turn my old shed into a chicken coop housing 6 to 8 chickens for eggs for my family. I have purchased lumber and poultry netting, I have read several books on backyard chickens, and I'm ready to go. I arranged to get 6 laying pullets from a local chicken farm. I've been to tractor supply for water and feeding ideas. To keep things cheap I decided to make everything possible with stuff already around the house. I have lots of designs for henhouse chat, lol. Right now I'm using starter feed but plan to make my own scratch from grains and garden waste. It has been fun, and believe me chickens are smarter than people think!

We get 6 to 8 eggs daily, and I have my teenage son out there every day cleaning and helping out. Next step to try and hatch our own chicks."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2010 :  1:43:08 PM  Show Profile
Lori MacDonald (lorileemacd, #2174) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"Went grocery shopping this week and purchased 8 bags for 99 cents each, no more plastic for me!

Everything went well, although I probably need a few more. I've decided to keep them stored in my trunk as I never know when I have the time to shop, lol. I'm going to get a few bags from my local produce store next week, I heard they donate 25 cents from each bag to cancer research! And they are pink!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2010 :  2:31:42 PM  Show Profile
Karrieann Warr (Karrieann #766) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Tatting badge.

"I taught myself how to tat and did fine for the basic stitches using double stitch, picot, ring and chain. I created edgings for my "Sisterhood" denim jacket.

I used the shuttle for tatting and size 20 threads.

I made the three feet long edging and applied them to the sleeves, collar and pockets on the jacket!

It turned out beautifully, more so than I expected! I had intentional sought for a "girly" denim jacket with full intention of making it more girly and MINE! I will attach all my badges on this jacket!

Edging with the tattings has really added personalized flavor to the jacket."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2010 :  2:40:22 PM  Show Profile
Karrieann Warr (Karrieann #766) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Tatting badge.

"I expanded my tatting knowledge while attending a "Tat Days," event sponsored by the Palmetto Tatters Guild. I learned, visually, new tatting techniques.

I learned that using the same stitchings, you can create many things with them. For instant, bracelets, bookmarks, leaves and many other possibilities.

I am so excited that my brain finally "got it." I am amazed at what I am able to make, all just wonderful and FUN!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2010 :  2:51:19 PM  Show Profile
Karrieann Warr (Karrieann #766) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level Tatting badge.

"After attending the Tat Days, I tried again (after bazillion years ago), to follow a pattern for a tatted doily. I kept at it and even took out my errors and kept on. I am finally confident in my abilities with tatting, completed three doilies, all different in pattern and thread sizes.

The part that I taught was the importance in "blocking" your completed work for that polished look. I shared this on my blog (link below). I also shared that while pinning my work, it became therapeutic for me. Tatting in itself is NOT totally therapeutic for myself, knots and mistakes frustrates me but blocking the piece was releasing all my tension!

It turned out B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L-L-Y!!!!

I am in love with the whole tatting process.

http://karrieann-followingmyheartandjesus.blogspot.com/2010/10/necessity-of-blocking-your-work.html"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2010 :  3:09:36 PM  Show Profile
Karrieann Warr (Karrieann #766) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"I created this triangle half apron, attaching pockets, ruffles and ties. I folded the fabric corner-wise to get the triangle, gathered the ruffle trim. Carefully centering the pockets and stitched them on. Ruffle trim was added then the waistline ties.

I think this turned out darn cute! Since I have been a sewer for a very very long time this project was pretty simple. I also feel any level of a sewer could also achieve this apron."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2010 :  3:21:22 PM  Show Profile
Karrieann Warr (Karrieann #766) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Aprons badge.

"I created the Afternoon Tea apron from a pattern. It was my first attempt in a full apron. It was a little challenge in combining the yoke, waist belt and the skirt with inseam pockets. I did wear this over to my neighbor's to show it off!

I am pleased with the combination of fabrics that I used. It is very pleasing."

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page