Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2010 :  4:38:25 PM  Show Profile
Valerie Oliver (Valgirl7, #2356) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I have been collecting buttons for some time now. My favorite is one that I just found yesterday, it is the cameo button. I started collecting buttons because I so admired and loved my grandmothers button tin. It was loaded with beautiful and fun buttons, one of which was about 2 inches in diameter that we made a "whizzer" out of. We tied a string through both holes and wound it up and stretched the strings back and forth letting it unwind and wind over and over again. What fun it was. I LOVE MY BUTTONS!!!

I have separated my buttons into categories that suit me and I love how they all look on my coffee table in old jars."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2010 :  11:53:50 AM  Show Profile
Sunny McDonald (Mtnsunshine, #914) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Little Squirts badge.

"My daddy is a pack rat, and I love it! He saved the old oil can that I used when I played the tin man in the school play. I love that thing and recently he gave it to me, I filled 'er up with oil and went crazy! Each door, cupboard, and drawer now opens smoothly and QUIETLY! ;o) We ride our bikes often and through puddles that can wreck havoc on a bike chains. I taught my 7 year old how to oil the chains to keep them running smooth and rust free. He thinks it's the greatest thing in the world to be able to perform maintenance on his bike. Tis the season of fall here and time to put away all the garden tools except for the leaf rake and the shovel. I used steel wool to clean off the muck and oiled them up to keep the rust at bay while they sit in the shed patiently waiting for the first glimmer of spring so they can reappear from hibernation.

It is very gratifying to clean and put away tools that I spent many hours with. I feel like I'm showing my appreciation to them for their hard work. ;o) The doors, drawers and cupboards have yet to let out a peep but when they do you can be assured I'll jump and grab my handy oil can and oil away."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2010 :  12:01:22 PM  Show Profile
Sunny McDonald (Mtnsunshine, #914) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"My journey began on June 21st 2009 when I purchased 13 (yes 13) adorable chicks various breeds. We soon began building a coop and in a weekend it was complete. It didn't take long for each and every hen to become a HUGE part of our family. The local feed store where I purchased the chick from doesn't normally carry organic feed or scratch but they gladly bring it in once a month for me. We also mix in crushed oyster shell, this sadly is not organic. All of our chicken friendly kitchen scraps go to the hens and they go crazy over the scraps. Our hens produce one egg each every day and we often get double yokers.

There is nothing better than a farm fresh egg, I can honestly say they have all become much loved family members. We got our first egg on October 20th. It was a much celebrated day here in the McDonald family. We have recently added a Bantam hen and rooster."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2010 :  12:09:18 PM  Show Profile
Sunny McDonald (Mtnsunshine, #914) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I got my first reusable canvas shopping bag from my mother in law as a gift. I fell in love and on my next visit to Whole Foods I purchased the other 3 designs they had available at the time. A very good friend of mine works for REI and for my birthday she wrapped my gift in a REI canvas bag instead of wrapping paper! What a great idea!!!! My latest bag came from a Farm Girl sister that she hand made and embroidered my initials on! It's my favorite but shhhh don't tell the other bags. ;o)

After each shopping trip I unpack and place all the empty bags into one and put them right back in my truck so they are ready for my next shopping trip. It makes me feel wonderful knowing I'm doing my tiny part in making a difference in reducing the amount of plastic or paper bags used every year."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2010 :  12:14:27 PM  Show Profile
Sunny McDonald (Mtnsunshine, #914) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Plant It Forward badge.

"My sweet husband tilled the garden for me and I decided to switch up the layout of the furrows, I put them in from north to south and it worked out really well. I plan on using this same layout next year too. We have 2 large raised garden boxes that I like to plant with root crops. We planted 20 rows of radishes, watered them and sang to them and they thrived!

I'm good (really really good) at growing radishes. I say this because in the beginning I had planned on growing extra okra, cowpeas, and radishes but in the end the deer and ants won and all we had to share was radishes. It was such an awesome feeling to be able to share our bounty. Next year we plan on sharing peaches and grapes also. Looking forward to next season."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2010 :  12:44:24 PM  Show Profile
Stacy Keely (Stacy K., #896) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Quilting badge.

"I learned how to do an applique, a bias tape binding which I hand sewed on the back of the quilt, and hand quilting. I made myself a lap quilt for colder months. I used our favorite scraps to make applique leaves and a tree. I had so much fun making this quilt even though it almost took a year to gather supplies and put it together.

I love my new quilt. I took my time and asked for advice from an experienced quilter friend. I am very happy with the results."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2010 :  1:01:57 PM  Show Profile
Stacy Keely (Stacy K., #896) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Homespun Christmas badge.

"Made 50% of my Christmas presents this year. I made knitting bags, hook wraps, scarves, quilts, coffee cozies, bracelet, bookmarks, and jam. We also had made folded paper stars and fabric ornaments for our little tree.

I am so excited to give my gifts this year. They were very thought out and specific for each person. Gifts from the heart!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2010 :  1:19:20 PM  Show Profile
Stacy Keely (Stacy K., #896) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level Safe Toys badge.

"I made a Waldorf doll for the first time. The doll is beautiful. She was made from wool roving, tricot cotton knit, and merino wool for the hair. I ordered a pattern and got to work. The doll took 6 months to make. She has an inner stocking to shape her head, embroidered eyes/mouth, and a crocheted wool hair cap with woven hair. I also made her an apron from voile fabric, a peasant dress and crocheted her a shawl.

It was hard to part with my first Waldorf doll but I am selling her so I can buy more fabric to make more dolls. The next one will be donated to be raffled off for my favorite local charity."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2010 :  1:29:21 PM  Show Profile
Stacy Keely (Stacy K., #896) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Buttoned Up badge.

"I made a button necklace and bracelet with my daughter."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2010 :  1:36:47 PM  Show Profile
Stacy Keely (Stacy K., #896) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"I learned how to knit this summer, I made a dish cloth to start. My next project will be a wrap and I also taught my son how to knit and he made a dish cloth as well."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2010 :  1:43:05 PM  Show Profile
Stacy Keely (Stacy K., #896) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"I learned how to crochet this summer. I was so excited because my grandmother always crocheted. I made an acorn pouch to hold sock yarn, a doll shawl, and am now working on a shawl for myself.

I love the acorn... I may make a few more."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2010 :  1:55:26 PM  Show Profile
Stacy Keely (Stacy K., #896) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level Outstepping badge.

"We hiked some land we were looking to purchase that backed up to state game land (2 hours of rough hiking), hiked the trail at the bottom of the gorge and then hiked another weekend at a state park we camped at. I did not see our state bird but we did see our state tree and flower. Our campfire was nice even in the rain.

Love hiking!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2010 :  3:28:27 PM  Show Profile
Stacy Keely (Stacy K., #896) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level In the Garden badge.

"I picked up some plastic chicken fencing and my husband gave me some PVC pipe. It made a great trellis for my peas. It would have been good for the beans to but the rabbits ate them all. Maybe next spring we can rabbit proof the garden.

It is very sturdy and the peas grew up it really well. You can see it in the back round of my picture."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2010 :  4:48:36 PM  Show Profile
Stacy Keely (Stacy K., #896) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a intermediate level Know Your Food badge.

"We now eat about 75% organic. We joined a summer CSA in June and a winter CSA in Nov. We also now buy our chickens, pork, and beef at a local organic farm. We eat as much local fresh foods as we can. No more HFC in our diet. We also listened to Omnivore's Dilemma on audiobook. I also love to share about where we get our food so some of our friends have joined us on this journey. Getting organic fruit is a little harder. We found lots of organic berries but not much else in our area.

We love it all the food! So fresh and we love supporting the local farms."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2010 :  4:55:32 PM  Show Profile
Stacy Keely (Stacy K., #896) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a intermediate level Bustin' Out badge.

"We helped 4 families to start eating organic beef and chicken. Also 2 families to sign-up for our local CSA. I also put a "buylocalpa" bumper sticker on my car so more people ask me about it and I have an opportunity to share.

I love sharing about wholesome foods and supporting local farmers. Photo is of the farm where we get our beef. They are all grass fed. The bull is the large guy in the photo."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2010 :  5:01:07 PM  Show Profile
Stacy Keely (Stacy K., #896) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Community Service badge.

"My daughter and I volunteered to do our Angel Tree this year. We filled out tags, put ribbons on them, set-up the tree, and hung all the tags. We then collected gifts and wrapped them. We also volunteered a few times at our local food bank and collected boxes for Operation Christmas Child.

A very rewarding program to reach children of prisoners in our area. We will do this for many years to come."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2010 :  5:08:30 PM  Show Profile
Stacy Keely (Stacy K., #896) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Lend a Hand to Farm Families badge.

"We met a wonderful couple in the spring when they opened their farm up to us for shearing day. We became fast friends and went back in May for a weekend and helped with planting blueberry bushes, and feeding a new lamb that had been rejected. We would visit the farm almost every month to help with other farm chores. The last time we took fresh made ice cream and a roast chicken for dinner. What a treasure they are.

Friends forever."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2010 :  5:13:13 PM  Show Profile
Stacy Keely (Stacy K., #896) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Going Green badge.

"We got rid of all our toxic cleaners and found recipes for all natural cleaners. I got a tote and spray bottles to make all our new recipes up. I made a notebook up so we can write down what works with cleaning our home which has hard water.

So far so good!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2010 :  5:17:33 PM  Show Profile
Stacy Keely (Stacy K., #896) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a intermediate level Going Green badge.

"I made up natural cleaners to replace all our other cleaners we got rid of. We also switched out laundry detergent to soap nuts. A wonderful non-toxic way to clean your laundry. I shared all the recipes that have worked so far with 40 friends.

They work much better than I thought they would."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2010 :  5:20:57 PM  Show Profile
Stacy Keely (Stacy K., #896) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"So we switched to all homemade cleaners, natural laundry soap nuts, and an all natural hand soap."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2010 :  11:05:57 AM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Get 'Er Done badge.

"We live in the same rural community that I grew up in. However, there are many, many more residents now which include some elderly folks who have been farming here for decades. It also includes more than one disabled person.
We have very community-minded neighbors and we all work together to help others in our rural community.

Because we have lived here for decades as have many of the other residents, we have a "help each other out" mentality that is implemented an a very regular basis.
"Getting 'er Done" projects have included:
- working on irrigation systems
- house cleaning and repair
- feeding animals for neighbors
- doing farm field work
- clearing snow for neighbors
- building projects together
- tending gardens/yards
- helping with harvest
- regular checking in on elderly
- assistance to those who are disabled in whatever they need
We have been blessed with a terrific bunch of neighbors and can honestly say we have been, we do and will continue to help each other. Our community neighbors are as far as 5 miles away, so it's a pretty impressive network.
My involvement far exceeds the time requirement."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2010 :  11:30:52 AM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Community Action badge.

"Our community is rural with agriculture as the main livelihood for folks. It's a beautiful place to live and a good place to raise your family or retire.

However, one of the main issues is that of industry to provide employment for people who move here. The pay scale is low for most and resources are limited. For example, there are hundreds of women here who are seamstresses, but our only available source for fabric and other supplies is the limited and downsized fabric department at Walmart.
There are many other factors that impact this community and the ability of people to make a good living. It is difficult to be able to pinpoint the exact branch of government that is responsible, but it seems like it could be a combination.

Most of the farms and ranches that are the "backbone" of this area have been in families for generations and are very solidly established.

There are some other businesses that have their "roots" that have grown into larger companies serving the entire country, probably foreign countries, because of the brilliant entrepreneurial finesse of owners. One of those companies makes backpacks and related equipment that is sold worldwide. Another is one that manufactures toys and distributes all over the USA.

What seems to make a difference is for folks to "beat the bushes" and create jobs in areas that meet a need of the area and get really creative in finding the money to fund such an endeavor, one of those would be grants.

Tourism is another job provider, however it is seasonal. It becomes the responsibility of business owners, and the county to promote this area and what it offers. Perhaps some of that would be the responsibility of the state government. And possibility the National Park Service as we have Mesa Verde National Park right here. If tourists are attracted to the park then that benefits the local businesses.
It's a tough issue to address because of the uniqueness of our area and the fact that we are at least 300 miles from a metropolitan area and the amenities available there. It is also complicated by the fact that, because we are in the Four Corners area, we are bordered by the other three states by reservation land, most of which is arid desert.

One can really admire the spirit of those who "dig in" and use their resources to their fullest, exhibit huge measures of being inventive and creative, stubbornness and determination.

My husband and I take pride in the fact that we are of that determined, creative fabric and are making things happen for us. We are also part of a network of folks who do the same and we are all part of working to make this area a better place for folks to earn their income as well as enjoy living here."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2010 :  11:37:38 AM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a intermediate level Gaining Ground badge.

"Our composting continues with absolutely everything possible to throw in. We've been able to use some in our garden earlier before the end of the season.

Spent quite a bit of time researching different types of permanent compost bins. The tough part is building one that is virtually impossible for any animal to get into.

We have had a terrible time with coons, skunks and deer. We also had to attempt to build something that was bear-proof and elk-proof. The only one of these animals that has not been in our garden, in our compost, in our yard and walked across the lawn are the elk. However, there are elk in the woods back of our house so the possibility exists for them to visit as well.

We are using two very heavy duty, very large garbage containers with covers and enclosed in a wood pallet enclosure with chicken wire pushed into an area with large sagebrush around (should discourage critters access) The idea is a take-off from a barrel composter sold by Lehmans.

Our community does not have a composting program, but I have written a letter to our paper. And, I plan to pursue the topic with some of the other Farmers Market vendors that we interact with.

We have been involved in helping our daughter and son-in-law and know they have put compost into their garden. Also have provided assistance to neighbors in composting. Keeping track of our own project in a gardening journal is interesting and we will continue taking notes."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2010 :  11:46:42 AM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a intermediate level Get 'Er Done badge.

"A disabled neighbor is unable to care for herself, not to mention able to do anything in her house, yard or garden. Her husband is able to however is totally overwhelmed by it all and needs daily help.

Providing assistance is an ongoing commitment in this situation because the need is ongoing.
Other than the routine, daily or weekly needs projects have included:

- moving unneeded furniture and other equipment from the home into storage on the 2nd floor of the shop bldg.
- moving needed furniture in the home to accommodate this individual's physical needs
- cleaning carpets in the entire house
- assisting in building wheelchair ramps and other accessibility projects such as installing handrails, widening doors, revamping the kitchen (so the individual does not have access to dangerous equipment)

This has already been a commitment of days . . far exceeding the requirement.

This is an ongoing need because the needs of this individual change and are hugely significant."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2010 :  12:20:03 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a intermediate level I Should Have Been in the Movies badge.

""Making a Flour-Sack Apron" is the project. With flour sack, coordinating fabric, trim, scissors, measuring tool in hand I went through the entire process of how to launder the flour sack to get all the starch out of it, then cut it to work as a waist apron, cut the fabric pieces and trim to complete the project, how to sew it together and finish it.

I've been teaching some subject in some manner most of my life so teaching is not new to me.

My audience was my daughter, my husband (he actually has become interested in my sewing skills . . and has scored several sewing machines and refurbished them for me), my son and a couple of friends.

The entire project went well and my audience was very complimentary on how it went and felt, for the most part, instructions were clear and easy to follow. My daughter tells me that she has to "see and do" to learn and that she has been able to do."

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page