Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2010 :  12:36:59 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an expert level Get 'Er Done badge.

"There are several projects going on that, I believe, fall into this category.
1. Our Farmgirls Southwest Henhouse chapter, which is a "virtual" henhouse with members from Pennsylvania to California is, currently answering the "CHRISTMAS CARE" Challenge. This is in progress now and posts can be seen on this forum thread in our Henhouse.

2. Locally, my family has been and will continue to be involved in meeting the needs of the organization that provides services for the developmentally disabled in our community. (photo is of garden supplies given this summer, only one of many things we have assisted in)

3. My family and friends are also involved in helping provide needed clothing, personal care items and shelter needs to our local homeless shelter and safe-house for battered women.

4. My family and neighbors also provide needed clothing, food items (excess from gardens) to churches and, right now, there are special projects for the holidays.

These are ongoing projects, especially locally. Projects that get consistent, continual assistance and that will be the case as long as we are able.

Time involved in local projects has, and will continue to, far exceed the requirement.

For my family, for years, we have sponsored a child through World Vision. Our first child was a girl in Nicaragua who we sponsored until she "outgrew" the program. We then began to sponsor a boy, also in Nicaragua, who is still in the program and our sponsorship."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2010 :  12:54:32 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #665) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a intermediate level Connecting Growers and Eaters badge.

"It all goes back to the "help each other out" mentality of our neighborhood. We are able to work with our closest neighbors to harvest extra garden produce and orchard produce to donate to local needs.

There are at least 2 local churches who cook and serve free meals every week, in addition to the "Good Samaritan" Center (food bank).

Donations were gathered and delivered to the churches and to the food bank and to the organization who provides services to developmentally disabled individuals in our community.

The developmentally disabled individuals live in residential placement situations and caregivers are required to prepare meals, or help clients prepare meals. Budgets are very tight so the need for donations is there.

Delivery connections were usually a couple times weekly for the season. This is a practice we engage in every year and will continue to do every year as possible."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2010 :  1:14:47 PM  Show Profile
Belinda Purvis (BPurvis, #837) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Spirit badge.

"I hosted a gathering at my home with five other ladies. One of the ladies is already a farmgirl member, and she brought some information regarding the sisterhood and merit badge requirements.

I shared my Mary Jane's Farm magazines and the three book bundle with them. We brainstormed about the endless topics we would like to learn together and teach other.

I also shared kombucha with everyone to drink as well as let a couple taste raw milk. One of the ladies stayed afterward to learn how to make yogurt with me.

We are deciding on a chapter name, and plan to meet just about weekly. Next Tuesday, December 7 at 10:00 a.m. We will discuss our plans for future gatherings as to what we will learn together and make laundry detergent together too!

So excited!

So far, we are beginning with 6 members to start our chapter. Everyone left inspired, and maybe a little overwhelmed! We will continue to encourage each other.

We began a facebook group for us to communicate through too."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2010 :  1:49:09 PM  Show Profile
Belinda Purvis (BPurvis, #837) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a intermediate level Farmgirl Spirit badge.

"I passed along information regarding local raw milk producers, grass fed beef producers to a friend who is planning to join the sisterhood in our new chapter we are starting.

I am helping her move also. I shared kombucha with her today as we met about our plans in the sisterhood.

Got to spend time with a friend helping her move! Enjoying helping her organize her kitchen and hang wall decor. We are not finished yet though!

She is planning to join the sisterhood and meet with us regularly as we work on merit badges!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2010 :  2:11:40 PM  Show Profile
Belinda Purvis (BPurvis, #837) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Going Green badge.

"I eliminated cleaners that aren't green. I now use vinegar and baking soda! I have made laundry detergent from MaryJanesFarm magazine, and love it. I use vinegar for fabric softener. I clean floors with vinegar and water.

At our farmgirl sisterhood chapter kick off party, I shared a small sample of the laundry detergent with each lady. We shared ideas about other cleaners and going green.

We are committed to staying green in our home.

All the ladies in our group were inspired to go home and make some changes! It is exciting to pass along the fire to make some excellent changes!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2010 :  2:19:29 PM  Show Profile
Belinda Purvis (BPurvis, #837) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a intermediate level Going Green badge.

"I made the laundry detergent recipe in the Mary Jane's Farm magazine. It is lovely, and I have shared samples with the other ladies who are joining the sisterhood in our chapter in Crosby.

I took a class making soap, then the week before Thanksgiving I made shampoo bars, bath bars, bath bars in luffas, and hand cleaner.

I mix my own glass cleaner, use vinegar for floors, and use vinegar and soda for multi purpose cleaners.

I shared these with the ladies in our group. I learned today about using the washing soda (like in laundry detergent) in a toilet. I haven't tried it yet, but plan to use it tomorrow!

We planned as a group to work on making laundry detergent and soap. All the other ladies are inspired to make some changes too!

The picture shows the luffa soaps in the middle and either side is the shampoo bars I made!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2010 :  2:27:22 PM  Show Profile
Belinda Purvis (BPurvis, #837) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I got reusable shopping bags from my mother, and am committed to use them on my shopping trips.

I am looking forward to not having all those plastic bags to store EVERYWHERE! LOL"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2010 :  2:56:25 PM  Show Profile
Belinda Purvis (BPurvis, #837) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I have read MaryJanesFarm "home safe home," sections for a year and a half. I have looked up non-toxic cleanser online too. I have made cleansers, laundry detergent, soaps, shampoo bars, and use non-toxic cleaners at home.

I love the soaps and laundry detergent that I have made. I have mixed cleansers too.

I'm still learning and looking forward to constantly learning new things and ways to improve our home and health.

Inspiring others to make healthy changes for themselves and the environment!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2010 :  3:02:11 PM  Show Profile
Belinda Purvis (BPurvis, #837) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I have all my sewing items organized and gathered together in a kit, in my sewing cabinet drawers, and in containers and drawers in my sewing room.

A few weeks ago, I completely cleaned out the sewing room, purged it, and organized it with every container labeled for easy access.

Sewing is so much more inviting in a room where everything is organized and easily accessible! I have made the nursery ensemble for my first granddaughter who is due to arrive in January! So excited!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2010 :  3:08:19 PM  Show Profile
Belinda Purvis (BPurvis, #837) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"I crocheted dishcloths with cotton yarn and gave as gifts to friends. I also made placemats and coasters with the cotton yarn.

I have taught several people to crochet including my daughter, son, neighbors, and friends.

One friend in particular became an avid crocheter."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2010 :  3:12:22 PM  Show Profile
Belinda Purvis (BPurvis, #837) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Crochet badge.

"I crocheted an afghan with my mother. We both made squares and put them together.

Also, I made afghan by myself while teaching a friend to crochet. We crocheted together on football nights while our husbands watched Monday night football games! LOL!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2010 :  3:17:18 PM  Show Profile
Belinda Purvis (BPurvis, #837) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge.

"I made a rag quilt with flannel fabrics. I used all cotton fabric and batting. I spent more than eight hours making it.

The quilt is lovely and wrapped up for a gift! Can't wait to see how they like it.

I have made numerous rag quilts in the past as well. I have made at least six others."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2010 :  3:21:30 PM  Show Profile
Belinda Purvis (BPurvis, #837) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Homespun Christmas badge.

"All the Christmas decorations in our home this year include a number of homemade wall sprays, wreath, ceramics, stockings, tree skirt that were made by me or my mom. She has moved in with me and my husband, so we share a home. We have ornaments that are hand sewn with felt and sequins and trim, as well as handmade ceramics.

I actually bought very little for gifts this year. I have another rag quilt to finish for one gift, a pair of sleep pants for another, plus most of the gifts to friends are homemade candies and goodies. I made soap and jelly that I am giving as a gift, and I will make fresh bread to go along with it.

We definitely have more than 25% handmade decorations and ornaments, and well over 25% gifts handmade too.

Our home is warm and inviting, and evokes a sense of belonging because of the love that went in to the decorations and ornaments.

I know the recipients of the gifts will love them, and I have planned them for a while now."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2010 :  3:26:52 PM  Show Profile
Belinda Purvis (BPurvis, #837) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I recently organized the sewing room, and gathered all the buttons together. I sorted them by colors. I have small drawers with "new" buttons still on the package too. The other buttons are separate buttons that have either been recycled from clothing or extra buttons from past projects. My Granny's buttons, my mom's buttons, and my buttons are all now one big collection. I estimate more than 200 buttons awaiting future projects are sorted and ready to go.

Buttons are easily accessible, but haven't needed any yet. I know that day will come, and soon, and I will enjoy finding exactly what I need.

I am planning to make some crafty items with some of the buttons too."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2010 :  3:37:53 PM  Show Profile
Belinda Purvis (BPurvis, #837) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level What's Your Beef? badge.

"I have been reading "Salad Bar Beef," by Joel Salatin. I read information on www.eatwild.com.

I have learned that grass fed beef is healthier for the animals, better for people to digest. I have had numerous health problems, and have been taking steps to healthier eating. I have been studying grass fed beef, pastured poultry, oganic gardening, and organic orchards and vineyards.

We have castrated two bull calves, and are waiting for them to grow to slaughter size. It will be our first time to butcher one of our own calves.

We have eliminated chemicals and pesticides in our pastures and garden."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2010 :  3:41:57 PM  Show Profile
JoAnn Mitchell (#2379) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I collected six reusable bags for shopping. I put them in the back of my car so I would not forget them when shopping. I also got one that hooks to my purse so I always have one when I enter the store.I started using them on my last shopping trip. I commit to using them on each shopping trip from now on.

I used the cloth reusable bags on my trips to the grocery and the farmer's market. I did forget to take them in the store. I had to go back out to the car, in the rain, to get them. I think this may make me remember next time because I don't want to have to go out in the rain next time. hehe."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2010 :  3:51:21 PM  Show Profile
Rusty McHale (Rusty, #1572) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level Nellie Make-do badge.

"I finally finished my rug for our patio. I crocheted it out of plastic bags so I just need to hose it off when it gets dirty. Our digital camera broke (Dear Santa.....), so I can't take any pictures of my accomplishments.

I'm very happy with how it turned out."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2010 :  4:00:21 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a intermediate level Self-sufficiency badge.

"I learned to dry apples, can apple pie filling, and make refrigerator pickles this year.

We fell in love with our homemade pickles with herbs from my herb garden and fresh cucumbers. I just finished canning my first, ever, apple pie filling. I used the leftover syrup to make two apple pies for dinner. Thank you MaryJane for encouraging us to learn more self-sufficient skills."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2010 :  4:05:31 PM  Show Profile
Shauna Actis (#1049) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner and intermediate level Shopping Green badge.

"I have over ten reusable bags that I always use at the grocery store. I have a small reusable bag that I keep in my purse for unexpected trips into stores (and I also got one for my mom and she uses hers now). I have researched green cleaning products and now use them in my home. I make my own green laundry detergent, and am encouraging my friends to do the same.

It's turned out great. At first I always forgot my bags in the car. Now it's second nature to bring them with me. I love my laundry detergent. It's gentle on the skin, very inexpensive, and good for the environment. Three great reasons to do it!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2010 :  4:11:19 PM  Show Profile
Shauna Actis (#1049) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner and intermediate level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I put together a sewing kit and then some. I made a half apron with my Farmgirl's chapter. And I almost always wear an apron in the kitchen. (Not ALWAYS but often) I've made many full aprons, and actually sell them at local craft fairs.

My half apron is a bit narrow. But I blame that on the pattern (smiles). My full aprons are fabulous butcher's aprons with hand stamped sayings on them."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2010 :  4:38:30 PM  Show Profile
Valerie Oliver (Valgirl7, #2356) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I had fun putting this sewing kit together. I didn't have a pinkeeper, so I made one. I also included some tacky glue, you never know. I put it in a plastic container for travel. It has a bit extra room for a small project to take-a-long.

I love how this turned out, especially my pinkeep. She is "sew" cute. Now everything is in one spot."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2010 :  4:44:45 PM  Show Profile
Marie Hilliard (horselover, #2214) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Gratitude badge.

"I started writing in a journal nightly for 30 days.

I can not tell you how much you appreciate the little things in life at the days end when you write them down. Life changing habit now."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2010 :  11:51:16 AM  Show Profile
Marie Hilliard (horselover, #2214) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I'm committing to using reuseable bags that I purchased (some were given to me) on every shopping trip, not just the grocery store.

Awesome, no more torn plastic bags, can carry more in my bags, which means less plastic in the landfill. And I now keep them in my car so they are always handy for every shopping trip. No plans of ever turning back to plastic."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2010 :  12:05:52 PM  Show Profile
Kathy Cross (#2422) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"I took all the plastic ware out of the cabinet, matched lids to bowls, tossed out the unmatched pieces, wiped out the cabinet restocked the dishes. I took it a step futher and took all the spices out of my other cabinet, tossed the ones expired, created a list of spices on hand and restocked the shelves.

Both the plastic ware cabinet and the spice cabinet are organized and cleaned."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2010 :  12:15:38 PM  Show Profile
Kathy Cross (#2422) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I purchased 8 reusable bags for shopping and I use them.

I use them to shop. It feels good to know less plastic bags will go into the land fills."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page