Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2010 :  11:24:56 AM  Show Profile
Daizy Bailes (Daizy, #1093) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level The Secret Life of Bees badge.

"Oh, I love to read a good book and Sue Monk Kidd's is a GOOD book (saw the movie and it is not the same). I have always planted flowers for the birds and bees and leave them on the stems till they fall over. Bees get the pollen and birds get the seeds. I have been helping my younger sister with her new hive of bees this summer and watched the vanishingbees.com trailer several times. I am convinced that man and chemicals have turned the world into an unsavory environment for our small industrious friends, and we have to all pitch in to make changes in our lives to help and not hurt anymore. Even small changes, if done by all of us, will make large effects on our planet.

I am aware, much more than I used to be. And I am not quiet about it, SPEAK OUT AND BE THE CHANGE YOU WANT TO SEE!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2010 :  11:32:48 AM  Show Profile
Daizy Bailes (Daizy, #1093) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a intermediate level The Secret Life of Bees badge.

"My grandfather raised bees and I got to help when it came to harvesting (robbing) the honey. It was amazing to watch him reach into the hive box and pull out the frames (bees buzzing all around him), and then he would walk over to me and hand them to me one by one and I would take them into the farm kitchen where he would come in and put it into jars with the comb. Raw honey is so very delicious and so good for you. I love to have a spoonful each day with or without toast or biscuits. It's good for you.

My sisters hives are too new to rob so we have only been observing the activities. I did find a local vendor up the road from my ranch. I found his honey at the local produce market this summer. The market was a new idea of the local town and what a hit it has been for the farmers and ranchers around here.

I enjoyed reading the book "Bees: Nature's Little Wonders," it was so good that I could not put it down. Imagine putting numbers on bees and then following them. Oh I learned so much and I am passing this book along to my sister to enjoy."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2010 :  11:35:12 AM  Show Profile
Rusty McHale (Rusty, #1572) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Tatting badge.

"I finished edging a hankie a few months ago but I was waiting to take a picture (camera broke). It was quite a challenge using different colors of thread.

I think it turned out quite nice. It will be given to my mom for Christmas."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2010 :  11:39:28 AM  Show Profile
Rusty McHale (Rusty, #1572) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Homespun Christmas badge.

"Last year I decorated my mom's house and tree with homemade ornaments. She is totally handicapped so it was a treat to do her decorating for her and use all my homemade goodies on her little tree.

It turned out quite unique and cute."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2010 :  11:44:13 AM  Show Profile
Rusty McHale (Rusty, #1572) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level Homespun Christmas badge.

"I just finished putting up our Christmas tree and putting all my handmade ornaments on it. I finally finished knitting a sweater for my husband, crocheting Barbie doll clothes for our granddaughters, crocheted a scarf for our son and daughter. I made peanut brittle, fudge and cookies for mom plus I crocheted her a lap robe for her wheel chair.
I canned grape jelly, candy apple jelly and applesauce for friends.
I cross-stitched some pictures for my girlfriends and knitted a couple of scarves for them.

Well - everything looks and smells great. I just hope everyone likes what I made for them."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2010 :  11:53:15 AM  Show Profile
Rusty McHale (Rusty, #1572) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level Tatting badge.

"I just finished my last tatting project. I made some bootie ornaments for my Christmas tree. They are so cute. It was a lot of work but I think it was worth it.

They turned out adorable."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2010 :  11:57:39 AM  Show Profile
Rusty McHale (Rusty, #1572) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a intermediate level In the Garden badge.

"I have been canning for years and hated to throw away the lids after opening the jars. You can re-use the bands and jars but not the lids. It finally occurred to me to use the canning lids for my birdhouse roof. I also punched holes for naming my garden vegetables.

My birdhouse is really cute."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2010 :  12:03:56 PM  Show Profile
Rusty McHale (Rusty, #1572) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level 3 R's Rule (Reuse, Recycle, Revive!) badge.

"I used my canning lids for row markers and found stakes for them using tree branches. I punched holes in them and just finished planting my winter garden.
I always sharpen my own tools with oil and a Brillo pad. I also oil down the handles especially in this hot and dry climate that we live in.

My garden looks very neat and organized."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2010 :  12:13:05 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Bosworth (dandelionhouse, #1199) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"We are in the final phase of a modest kitchen remodel. To prepare for construction, we emptied all drawers and cupboards. I sorted, tossed, and donated all items we no longer use, or items without lids or bottoms, and I vowed to change out all plastic storage containers for glass.

Well, the kitchen is turning out better than we imagined and the best part is that we only store what we need and use. It had been nine years since I had really gone through everything that closely so it felt good to do it and start fresh again.
I have a photo that shows the construction phase in progress."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2010 :  12:17:49 PM  Show Profile
Belinda Purvis (#837) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"I have become a patron of farm fresh eggs from a fellow Farmgirl sister.

I plan to start my own flock in the spring.

We have already changed our practices on our farm with our cows to all-natural practices.

I have delicious, fresh eggs to eat!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2010 :  12:35:39 PM  Show Profile
Valerie Oliver (Valgirl7, #2356) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Community Service badge.

"Unfortunately, we went through a church split. So, we had to decide what to do. We volunteered our garage for a temporary place to meet. Our meeting there was to begin on November 14th. We set in on cleaning out our "stuffed" garage. It took us two days and 3 trips to our nearest Teen Challenge Thrift Store. We called around to see about borrowing chairs and were able to find a friend that had 29 chairs. We had 4 and a couple of concrete blocks to set a large beam across for a bench. We found an extra coffee pot and hot water thermos, bought a little microwave for $1.00 at the Teen Challenge Thrift Store and set up our donuts and drink bench. We built a pulpit top to put on top of the easel (multi-purposing), that can be taken off and used for its original purpose. I made curtains for the work bench and pulpit to cover up all the garage "stuff." I have helped with the music as far as singing is concerned. I made a couple of signs to set down at the end of our "out in the middle of nowhere," private road so folks could find it. I take them down there on the four wheeler, even in the cold. My husband stokes the fire in the wood burning stove at 5 am to get it warm enough in there. We move out the two cars and begin lining them up in our "parking lot," of sorts. Then we set up chairs, started the coffee and hot water, brought out the juice and donuts, put on some music and away we go. :)

It has been such a great success. We have had as many as 28 folks coming regularly since Nov. 14th. We only have a Sunday service, but love it. God has been showing up in only His fashion. PRAISE GOD! I will continue volunteering for as long as needed at "Welcome Church."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2010 :  12:46:13 PM  Show Profile
Brittany Lamotte (Muffet, #2429) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"Constructed the first of 7 scarves for Christmas gifts & taught my friend, Maggie, how to crochet though she decided not to complete a project. This scarf is synthetic navy & ice blue yarn in horizontal block patterns that gradually thin down to stripes. Also added fringes of both colors at each end.

I've got Christmas gifts for others & now I'm ready to quit skirting around and learn some fancy techniques."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2010 :  1:01:30 PM  Show Profile
Brittany Lamotte (Muffet, #2429) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"I spent two months finishing an organic South American olive green wool scarf. Showed a co-worker how to knit & loaned her my 'Stitch 'n' [bleep]' book of instruction.

I learned that I like crochet-work much much more! Also, I put it in the dryer & now it looks more like an oven-mitt than a scarf to accent my eyes."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2010 :  1:10:33 PM  Show Profile
Debbie Bosworth (dandelionhouse, #1199) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a intermediate level Get It Together badge.

"Once we got our cupboards cleaned out for the remodel and I tossed all things we never use or were tired of I made a list of things that needed replacing.
It's been years since we replaced our toaster, blender, cutting boards, and cooking utensil's. As part of the kitchen remodel we purchased a new microwave and a more energy efficient dishwasher.

Its been great having new kitchen appliances that work properly, and make my time in the kitchen more enjoyable. I've had my "Farm Kitchen," recipe book out quite a bit and just last night baked my first ever pumpkin pie from scratch with enough pumpkin left over to bake for the holidays. It's a humble kitchen, but very functional and pretty now! Well worth the time it took to save for it!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2010 :  1:19:37 PM  Show Profile
Brittany Lamotte (Muffet, #2429) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"I spent three hours making my apron. I used men's suspenders I bought at a thrift store & a 1974 12-month cloth kitchen calender I received when I was 11 years old. Materials are cotton, elastic blend cotton bands, leather clasps, 1 metal button at the waist & 1 plastic button at the neck.

It's more of a bistro-style apron but it is unique & fabulous & very, very me since it has the 1974 calendar as well at the astrology wheel. I purchased no new materials for this project."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2010 :  1:25:57 PM  Show Profile
Brittany Lamotte (Muffet, #2429) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Embroidery badge.

"During my late May honeymoon in Idaho, we had record rain storms for over two weeks that flooded the rivers we were fishing. I threw in the towel & went to a thrift store in Riggins where I got a wooden band, 4 types of embroidery thread, & some muslin cloth. I got a sewing-repair kit at the grocery store. I embroidered in the truck & camper while my new husband fished for salmon. Took a couple months to finish & then framed it.

Great! I made an embroidered tribute to our honeymoon that my husband adores since it shows him reeling in a jumping salmon, me reeling in a heart & a gold horseshoe, the poppies & roses, Mount Idaho & rain!

PS* this is where I discovered MaryJanesFarm magazine. A rainy day in the grocery store in Riggins, ID."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 07 2010 :  1:33:15 PM  Show Profile
Rusty McHale (Rusty, #1572) has received a certificate of achievement in Farmgirl Legends for earning the Schoolmarm Stitching & Crafting badge.
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2010 :  3:11:36 PM  Show Profile
Marie Hilliard (horselover, #2214) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Horse Dreams badge.

"This is something I enjoy daily working with the horses, or traveling to see new barns and new friends I've met through horse shoeing, sales, rescues, or just trail riding. Today, I decided to check out a new Paso Fino farm I had passed on a recent drive.

It was a wonderful day at a new barn, new experience with a new breed, and a new friend was made!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2010 :  3:39:58 PM  Show Profile
Belinda Purvis (#837) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Gaining Ground badge.

"We began a compost pile with cow manure, hay, leaves, and other material around our property. We have had it for several months. We have started adding vegetable scraps to them too.

It is breaking down and becoming excellent for our garden."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2010 :  3:54:39 PM  Show Profile
Laurie Lemieux (Montrose Girl, #1587) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Grow Where You're Planted badge.

"This summer I gathered and identified native plants and pressed them. I then looked up Threatened and Endangered species in my area.

I have worked with T&E species in many other states for work, but had never looked up what was in my own area. This was a good task. In my county we have two plant species that are listed. Clay-loving wild buckwheat -Eriogonum pelinophilum and Colorado hookless cactus -Sclerocactus glaucus. There are only 16 known populations of the buckwheat in the US and they all in my area. As for the cactus, it is a recent species designation as it was lumped with other cactus species for a long time."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2010 :  4:07:18 PM  Show Profile
Laurie Lemieux (Montrose Girl, #1587) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Build It Green badge.

"I researched how to decorate my home, inside and out, in a green way. I started to donate things that were just clutter in my home and began using herbs to bring green inside. This served double duty and gave me taste for my cooking.

This way fun. I came up with a few interesting things I hadn't known about. I already use organic sheets and towels so now have a few ideas for some outside decorations."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2010 :  4:14:36 PM  Show Profile
Laurie Lemieux (Montrose Girl, #1587) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a intermediate level Build It Green badge.

"I shared what I had found about decorating green with the Southwest Farmgirls.

The best part of posting is the sharing and other ideas that come out. We all learn from each other so I am looking forward to more ideas."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2010 :  4:27:22 PM  Show Profile
Margaret Freyer (#2314) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"I took a good look at my cupboard under the sink which had been well organized when we moved in last July. Alas, inertia had taken over. I sorted the Tupperware and jars and pulled out many empty boxes etc. I moved a few items and elevated the dish drainer that holds my lids.

I love it and think my husband will have a much easier time when he clears the table after dinner and puts the food away. Wonderful man! Anything I can do to make that job easier on him. My son had so much fun he wanted to pose in the after picture.

Sorry if there are more than 3 pictures, I'm still learning the new camera."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2010 :  4:58:35 PM  Show Profile
CJ Armstrong (ceejay48, #655) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level Homespun Christmas badge.

"I LOVE CHRISTMAS!!!! And I decorate like there is no tomorrow!!!

I put up two trees, one for all the glittery, shiny things that are mostly purchased or gifted to me. The other for my own handmade, "homespun", farmgirl/farmhouse, garden, musician etc. ornaments. I bet you can guess which one I admire the most, enjoy the most and look at the most . . my handmade one because it is MY HEART!!!

HANDMADE GIFTS to FAMILY AND FRIENDS include: (and YES, I made them!)
- aprons; for guys and gals
- papercrafted journals
- papercrafted scrapbooks
- ricebags
- Christmas ornaments
- small woodturned ornaments and bottle stoppers
- cappuccino drink mixes
- cookies mixes (in canning jars)
- vinegar marinades
- fabric gift bags
- beaded jewelry
- packaged dried herbs from my herb garden

I also made soft sculpture decoration items (in the photo). This particular set is my own but I have gifted similar items.

The angel is made from an old hymnal and I made MANY of those for our church and gifted to family members. Just about every member of my family is a musician.

(My husband is also in on this as he is an expert woodturner and knifemaker . . so he also gives gifts of the items he makes. The candle box on the wall is one example of his work.)"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2010 :  12:49:45 PM  Show Profile
Belinda Purvis (#837) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner and intermediate level Community Service badge.

"I served as a youth Sunday school teacher for three years including taking them to camps, retreats, mission trips. I also stepped up for the last two years serving as assistant to the youth pastor. I mainly took care of administrative tasks for him including organizing the annual youth BBQ auction fundraiser to help pay student's camp fees. I served as auction director for two years, and established the computer network system to handle the auction bids and payments from buyers. Each year the auction alone required a minimum of 40 hours. Serving as assistant to the youth pastor required at least two hours per week for our meetings and computer maintenance, totaling 100 hours per year.

We made numerous positive changes including inspiring all the youth teachers to get active with their classes and plan outings and times to spend with their students. We formed a camaraderie between the teachers and kept encouraging each other.

My efforts to take care of administrative details for the youth pastor freed him up to spend more time with the students and his family. I feel honored and blessed to have made a difference in our community and church through my service time there.

I still work the computer organization and network for the auction every year."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page