Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2010 :  1:06:38 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Organic on a Budget badge.

"I earned this badge by purchasing a box of whole wheat budget mix and using it to make low cost meals to feed my family. I grew many of my own vegetables, and shopped at the farmer's market for organic vegetables that I did not grow. My meats came from a couple of local farms, as well. My dairy ingredients came from the Argyle Farmstead Cheese Farmer and from Battenkill Creamery. My dishes included: ham/potatoe/cheese sauce cassarole with biscuits; beef stew with dumplings; shepherds pie made from Thanksgiving leftovers."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2010 :  1:13:30 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a intermediate level Organic on a Budget badge.

"The majority of my veggies and fruits now come from organic/all natural sources, quite often grown in my own garden. Although purchasing organic foods usually costs more, I have found that most farms will offer their seconds at very reasonable prices. I stay connected with other growers and find that I can swap or work for naturally grown veggies and fruits. I get my hormone free dairy products at a 50% discount because I offer my cleaning services on a bi-weekly basis. There are many ways to reduce a grocery budget, and it doesn't have to mean eating less."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2010 :  1:18:43 PM  Show Profile
Carrie Meerwarth (Carrie M, #147) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an expert level Organic on a Budget badge.

"I have found that my homemade baking powder biscuits are a great way to get the attention of people in need of instruction for changing their consuming habits. When coupled with homemade jam they are a perfect lure and always end with sharing a recipe or two! I have also opened some doors to change by taking Argyle Cheese Farmer cheese curds to gatherings...these always get attention and I have been able to share with people about the importance of seeking out natural, hormone-free dairy foods."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2011 :  2:41:15 PM  Show Profile
Belinda Purvis (#837) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an expert level Community Service badge.

"I served as a youth Sunday school teacher for three years including taking them to camps, retreats, mission trips. I also stepped up for the last two years serving as assistant to the youth pastor. I mainly took care of administrative tasks for him including organizing the annual youth BBQ auction fundraiser to help pay student's camp fees. I served as auction director for two years, and established the computer network system to handle the auction bids and payments from buyers. Each year the auction alone required a minimum of 40 hours. Serving as assistant to the youth pastor required at least two hours per week for our meetings and computer maintenance, totaling 100 hours per year.

We made numerous positive changes including inspiring all the youth teachers to get active with their classes and plan outings and times to spend with their students. We formed a camaraderie between the teachers and kept encouraging each other.

My efforts to take care of administrative details for the youth pastor freed him up to spend more time with the students and his family. I feel honored and blessed to have made a difference in our community and church through my service time there.

I still work the computer organization and network for the auction every year."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2011 :  2:57:14 PM  Show Profile
Katie Burkhart (#2094) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I definitely have bought reusable shopping bags. I even bring them to department stores (like Kohl's) which don't offer reusable bags.

Occasionally I forget a bag, but I definitely recycle the plastic bag, say from Wal-mart, and use it to scoop kitty litter, or recycle at the recycling center. Target even gives you 5 cents off for every reusable bag you use. It truly makes me feel good every time! Even without the 5 cents."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2011 :  3:11:21 PM  Show Profile
Katie Burkhart (#2094) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"I sewed an apron, I LOVE the fruit pattern I picked. I had a little bit of a hard time with the fabric ties, but the lady at the craft store said, never point out your mistakes.

I took a picture of my husband wearing it, LOL! I have since given it to my aunt as a gift, she wears it on Sunday when she has company! The next one I make will definitely have some ruffles! :)"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2011 :  3:26:12 PM  Show Profile
Amelia Woodcock (ruralsweetheart, #1960) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Farmgirl Gratitude badge.

"I did my Famrgirl gratitude journal for the month of October. It was so easy to do because I found that I am grateful for so much in my life. My little sister, my pets, the blankets on my bed, and even being able to go to school. After doing this journal I feel so very lucky to have all the people I do in my life and all the things I am so fortunate to have.

Great! I did only a month but I want to do more because it's almost a pick me up at the end of the day to say "Hey, how lucky am I to have this? Why am I feeling like this!?"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2011 :  3:43:15 PM  Show Profile
Jessie Yonkovit (JessieMae, #134) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Safe Toys badge.

"Using a fabric panel, I sewed a rag doll for my daughter.

The quality of the fabric the panel was printed on was very cheap, and unfortunately as I stuffed it (firmly...perhaps too firmly!) the fabric tore and split in several places. I stitched them up, though, so although Dolly is slightly “scarred,” she’s certainly still lovable!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2011 :  3:58:28 PM  Show Profile
Valerie Oliver (valgirl7, #2356) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a intermediate level Community Service badge.

"I am continuing volunteering my time to the "Welcome Church." I spend at least 8 hours every week preparing the garage building for service and making sure the garage is cleaned, chairs are set up and taken down, goods are purchased for continental breakfast bar, signs are put up and taken down from the end of the road, etc. The church accepts volunteers that are willing to do whatever is needed in it's ministry, singers, people who will prepare communion elements, find people to help make phone calls, or pray. Right now we are small but believe we will grow. I have spent countless hours in planning and preparing.

It has been very gratifying to do my part. Whatever I can do to help, I will do it."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2011 :  4:04:45 PM  Show Profile
JoAnn Mitchell (joiannm, #2379) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"I organized my kitchen and removed clutter. I donated my extra lids and other items to a local charity. I made a great storage place in the garage so I could find my storage containers whenever I need them.

It was difficult to let go of things that I thought I may need "someday." I realized that these items are just clutter to me, but they might be needed by someone else."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2011 :  4:15:49 PM  Show Profile
JoAnn Mitchell (joiannm, #2379) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a intermediate level Get It Together badge.

"I have a complete kitchen so I collected extra items and donated them to local charity. I can always use more canning jars.

My kitchen is cleaner and easier to use with the extra items removed. I feel good having sent some really nice pots, pans and other things to charity. A win-win for all."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2011 :  4:23:36 PM  Show Profile
JoAnn Mitchell (joiannm, #2379) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Horse Dreams badge.

"I visited my sister in Modesto and rode her horse. I had to shovel horse poop for the pleasure, but it was worth it. My sister pointed out different horse breeds. I have not rode in so very many years. I also drove around Los Gatos and saw some horses out to pasture.

This was a wonderful walk back into the past. I once lived on a ranch many years ago here in San Jose, Ca. There aren't many, if any, left here now. I had to go several hours out of the city to visit the horses. I love the smell. I love the feel while on horseback."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2011 :  4:30:58 PM  Show Profile
JoAnn Mitchell (joiannm, #2379) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level In the Garden badge.

"I made my own trellis of string for my pea plants. I also made a bean ladder in my garden.

All the beans and peas have been harvested and eaten. This turned out great. I will do this again. Next time I will use more cross strings for the peas."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2011 :  4:40:45 PM  Show Profile
JoAnn Mitchell (joiannm, #2379) has received a certificate of achievement in Make It Easy for earning a beginner level Make It! badge.

"I organized my tools all together in the shed. Each of the small tools have outlines so I remember where they go. I also made two redwood planter boxes from recycled wood. My friend showed me how to use the table saw.

I had a great time learning how to use a table saw while making the planter boxes. I also enjoy the ease of finding my tools since they now have their own place."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2011 :  4:46:46 PM  Show Profile
JoAnn Mitchell (joiannm, #2379) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level Disconnect to Reconnect badge.

"I turned off my computer, TV, telephone, radio, and all other electronic devices from 5pm Friday to 9pm Sunday. I read and sewed on my newest quilt project.

The only item that was difficult for me to turn off was my cell phone. I usually keep it on for family emergencies, but my son was nearby so I was eventually ok with it. I enjoyed my time to myself without the noise."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2011 :  4:51:25 PM  Show Profile
JoAnn Mitchell (joiannm, #2379) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Sew Wonderful badge.

"I put together a beginner sewing kit with a homemade pin keeper.

I enjoyed this activity. I think I might make a couple sewing kits, put them in small canning jars and give them as Christmas gifts to family and friends."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2011 :  4:56:15 PM  Show Profile
JoAnn Mitchell (joiannm, #2379) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Buttoned Up badge.

"I started my own button collection. I then sorted them by color into decorative cork top bottles and used them to decorate my sewing area. Many of these are recycled and found buttons.
Most of my buttons are vintage.

Creative and useful. Now I have my buttons visible in my sewing area. They are nice to look at and easy to find."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2011 :  5:03:57 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer Greenfield (draiodoirmna, #752) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level What's Your Beef? badge.

"I began eating grass-fed beef back in 2003 while in chiropractic school. I had been a vegetarian for 13 years because of my concern for the inhumane treatment of farm animals and the environmental degradation of factory farming. But once I learned about grass-fed beef, I did my research and then made the switch. A friend told me that my hair and skin looked so much better after that. My running stamina improved and I felt more focused and alert. I also was excited about supporting a new generation of farmers. I've been buying my grass-fed beef from an Amish farmer who uses no grain whatsoever with his animals. I refuse to eat anything that that has consumed genetically modified grains- that's another issue altogether!

I've been healthier and happier since eating grass-fed beef. As a chiropractic physician, I encourage patients to look at the impact of factory farming on themselves and the planet. I encourage them to visit local farmer's markets or to participate in CSAs."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2011 :  1:00:22 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer Jill Greenfield (draiodoirmna, #752) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"I learned to knit about 15 years ago. I was going to Ireland to live for a year and thought I needed to know. So, I've been playing around with knitting through the years. I've made baby afghans, scarves, and am working on a full afghan now. But an easy project I made this fall was the Sweater Shawl from the Oct-Nov 2009 issue.

It was so easy and I didn't have to pay attention to what I was doing! And it is beautiful. I needed help with the button hole so the owner of the local shop helped me."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2011 :  2:31:54 PM  Show Profile
Sunny McDonald (MTNsunshine, #914) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner, intermediate, and expert level Community Service badge.

"I keep a journal in my Mom Calendar, I'm involved in our local elementary school and serve as Booster Club president, this is my second year as president and third year as a member.  I'm also on the MCRF (mountain community recreational foundation), board. I love being involved in both of these organizations because they both are completely focused on helping local children. I volunteer at least 10+ hours a week and love every moment of it."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2011 :  2:46:05 PM  Show Profile
Sunny McDonald (MTNsunshine, #914) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner, intermediate, and expert level Community Action badge.

"I researched the local school bond issue that was just on our November ballot and sat on the bond committee. I wrote letters, worked at the phone bank (2 nights from 4-9pm), and had my photo and quote on a flyer that was mailed out to our voting district. The state and federal funding have had such huge cutbacks our local schools are suffering terribly and in turn our children are the ones losing out.

Sadly the bond didn't pass but in my heart I hope that there is a resolution that we can find so no more programs, teachers or extracurricular activities get cut."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2011 :  3:06:41 PM  Show Profile
Sunny McDonald (MTNsunshine, #914) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Public Service badge.

"I try to attend every scheduled school board meeting and also special meetings. The status of our schools is important to me with my kids being in 2nd grade and kindergarten. In the last election we had a bond measure for the school district, I rallied for it big time! I've voted in every election since November of 1999. I enjoy researching ballot issues and making the best informed vote possible."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2011 :  3:15:10 PM  Show Profile
Sunny McDonald (MTNsunshine, #914) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Lend A Hand to Families badge.

"I love helping families out! I took care of a families ranch for two weeks while they were out of state hunting. They have cows (75+ head), chickens, horses, donkey, ranch dogs and a sow. It was during the dead of winter so the cows, horses and donkey had to be fed every other day.

It was a lot of work and I was glad to help. I learned just how much work that size of a herd is."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2011 :  3:19:55 PM  Show Profile
Sunny McDonald (MTNsunshine, #914) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Connecting Growers and Eaters badge.

"I helped our older neighbor couple with their summer garden. I helped till, plant, water, weed and harvest. It was very rewarding. I learned a lot about food preserving like dehydrating and canning. 
I also learned about what type of veggies grow best in our area and what type of pests to be aware of."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2011 :  3:25:03 PM  Show Profile
Sunny McDonald (MTNsunshine, #914) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Entrepreneurial Spirit badge.

"I've dreamed of opening a children's clothing boutique for 7 years since my son was born. One of my best friends has a similar dream so we put our minds together and came up with "Hip and Little Boutique." We wrote up a business plan, registered our business name and got a tax ID number, contacted many possible vendors that we were interested in carrying their line of clothing. All we need to do now is find a storefront and about 100,000 in start up."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page