Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  3:55:31 PM  Show Profile
Megan Salter (HondaRebelGirl, #1383) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an expert level Entrepreneurial Spirit badge.

"So it’s official! I was too scared to tell anyone except my family about this before it was final, thinking at some point that surely the dream would be over and I would wake up. Just the opposite was true – I’m a business owner – albeit a small, online venture.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/yourseatonthesofa

Check out my Etsy shop! Right now I’m focusing on paracord projects (think masculine macramé) – a buddy of mine got me into knot-tying some months ago, and I’ve fallen in love with these bracelets. This paracord is cool stuff! In true farmgirl spirit, these bracelets are pretty and functional. Should a farmgirl ever need to, she could untie her bracelet and use the 6-8 feet of line to replace a broken shoelace, repair a rucksack, hang food out of the reach of bears while camping, or mend her space telescope (oh, wait, that was repairing the Hubble Space Telescope – and those were astronauts).

I’m so glad that I got this final push from the Sisterhood and that I have the support of a good family."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  4:08:08 PM  Show Profile
Megan Salter (HondaRebelGirl, #1383) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Homespun Christmas badge.

"This year, I wanted to decorate our tree in only handmade ornaments - newly made handmade ornaments, to be specific. I have many odds-and-ends homemade ornaments from over the years, but I wanted a cohesive set! Other than the candy canes hanging on the tree, I created every ornament.

I painted wooden hearts, stars, trees, reindeer, and gingerbread men and wrote on them by hand many of my favorite lines from Christmas songs or quotes from my favorite authors. They're cute!

Better than these, though, are my glass ornaments - I bought empty glass balls and filled them with artificial evergreens and berries. I topped them off with a little "snow" (gritty, non-shiny glitter) to create a little Christmas-in-a-globe. I initially made these to be Christmas gifts, but my husband liked them so much that he wanted to keep them all, so I had to make another set! I took this as a great compliment.

Additionally, I made well over half of this year's Christmas presents. Everyone's getting an ornament - surprise! - and I sewed or crafted the majority of the other gifts. I can't talk about them all here in case they happen to see this! :)

I'm really happy with the tree. I hope everyone loves the ornaments and the other gifts as much as I do. I know that the handmade gifts other people have given me have always been my favorite."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  4:13:10 PM  Show Profile
Vicky De Luca (Vicky De Luca, #2398) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"I have been using re-usable shopping bags for 7 years now (the year before that we used shopping boxes). We were living in France at the time, and all the supermarkets in the country simply stopped providing plastic bags! It was a steep learning curve! If you forgot your reusable bags, you had to put all your shopping in the shopping cart just as it was and take it to the car just like that!!! You never forgot your reusable bags more than once!!!

Now I live in England, shop-keepers even get cross with me if I'm not quick enough to get my bags out before they have put my items into a plastic bag....and I have to hand it back to them ;)
I have many reusable bags, but my favourite is a multi-coloured stripy cotton one. I am also looking forwards to making the foraging bag featured in your recent magazine :) I also have 2 that fold into little pouches, so I can keep them in my handbag for those unexpected shopping trips!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  4:21:04 PM  Show Profile
Kristina Nelson (FieldsofThyme, #800) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an expert level Horse Dreams badge.

"I finally located a horse rescue that is about a 30 minute drive from my house. I am looking into yet another one.

My 16 year old daughter and I have made visits to clean stalls, brush horses, and more. We plan to visit, and volunteer much more and on a regular basis. I would like to do more and have asked farmgirls for patterns on making saddle pads to donate in the future. We both are learning a lot about horses, abused and rescued horses, and so much more."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  4:29:32 PM  Show Profile
Rebecca Tando (Henny Becca, #1952) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Homespun Christmas badge.

"The goal was to make at least 25% of my gifts and 25% of my Christmas ornaments this year, and I did it! :)

The boys got pajamas and a robe, the nieces got a box of dress up clothes and stuffed toys made by me, and for my girlfriends I made either aprons or hotpads, heating pads with rice and lavender or re-usable shopping bags. We only bought ONE gift new!

For the ornaments I made cutter quilt ornaments, crocheted snowflakes, popcorn on a string, quilled paper ornaments, and everything else was re-used. Nothing was brand new.

Since it is Christmas Eve, I can only guess at the result, but I think everyone will be well pleased! I know I am, with the results of my labor. This Christmas was truly a labor of love. I got a chance to pray for each one of my loved ones as I made their gift, and thank God for them. :D"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  4:43:29 PM  Show Profile
Laura Hughes (Morning, #1915) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Pay It Forward badge.

"I had chosen to not eat lunch earlier this week and when I explained what I was doing, my family decided to join me in skipping the meal.

We donated the money saved to the Albuquerque Rescue Mission which provides meals to the Albuquerque homeless population."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  4:54:30 PM  Show Profile
Jennifer Miller (jennifer, #2433) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Bee Good to Your Mother Earth badge.

"I have a winter garden that I planted with Heirloom seeds and use only organic fertilizer and pest control.

I am still getting produce from my garden and have broccoli that will be ready soon."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  5:00:34 PM  Show Profile
Diana Vermillion (#2454) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"Gathered 6 canvas bags from around the house. Folded and stored in car for grocery trips.

I have been using the handy bags everywhere I shop now."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2011 :  1:05:05 PM  Show Profile
Tiffany Caruso (Avonfemme, #2203) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Homespun Christmas badge.

"I am pleased to report that I earned my Homespun Christmas Badge by handcrafting 75% of the gifts I gave this holiday season, as well as 25% of the ornaments with which I adorned my Christmas tree. :)

Oh my goodness, I had such a good time crafting for all of my friends and family this Christmas. I knitted 2 scarves (one of each for my parents), made sweet little country rag ornaments (with fun, festive buttons) to give as gifts and for my own tree, homemade body glitter (to add a touch a extra sparkle to the holiday of of loved ones ;), a handcrafted button wreath and decorative recipe card for my fellow farmgirl sisters, a jingle bell basket at a local community center, and I also filled Ball jars with tasty treats or ornaments (and added a bit of fabric on the tops and tied them off with holiday ribbons). Instead of being all stressed out and being overwhelmed by the holiday hustle and bustle, I was tucked away indoors, crafting with friends. On a couple occasions, a few close friends and I grabbed dinner, brought it back to my place, turned on some cheery Christmas music, and got to work! :) There was much warmth, love, and laughter in my little apartment this December - Everyone loved their gifts, and were amazed that I made them all myself!!! :)"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2011 :  2:29:27 PM  Show Profile
Lisa Grzeskowiak (#892) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner and intermediate level Aprons badge.

"I made a full apron from a pattern. I actually made 2, one for my mother-in-law as a gift and one for my daughter. I have included a picture of my mother-in-law in her new/now used apron.

I think they turned out wonderful. My mother-in-law's had several flaws and some seams that I had to redo but the second one made for my daughter came out flawless. This is the first time I have set a pocket that was not a patch pocket."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2011 :  2:44:24 PM  Show Profile
Lisa Grzeskowiak (#892) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge.

"I took several classes at a nearby JoAnn's store. The first class was basic quilting and we joined a simple nine patch. The second was an appliqué class, we made bear appliqués on a quilt front (craft size). The third was a binding class, this was definitely the most difficult!

Not to brag but I have found my love and I think I have a natural talent leaning toward this! Loved every bit of it and continue to do it a lot for myself, gifts and hopefully to sell soon."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2011 :  3:02:40 PM  Show Profile
Lisa Grzeskowiak (#892) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Quilting badge.

"I made a caterpillar rag quilt from a pattern.

Wonderful! I started this quilt pattern just because I thought it was cute and had no idea what I was going to do with it. My daughter needed an auction item for a Relay for Life team to support cancer research so I donated it. I was able to attend and listen in on the oh's and ah's, and it helped raise money for cancer research."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2011 :  3:24:45 PM  Show Profile
Lisa Grzeskowiak (#892) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level Quilting badge.

"I designed and created a t-shirt quilt for my daughter for her graduation. This was unique that it was not done as appliqué and patchwork only. I also added her earned letters, tags from her favorite clothes and even her band gloves she had worn. I taught a small group at work how to begin quilting and designing their own quilts.

It is great! She loved it and it has only come back to me for a minor repair when a patch was loose and needed to be re-sewn a bit. The people I taught about quilting seem to understand the concept but have not (and I'm not sure why), gotten the courage to attempt their own design as of yet."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2011 :  3:56:07 PM  Show Profile
Lisa Grzeskowiak (#892) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Backyard Farmer badge.

"My kids have done 4H goats for years. I have fallen in love but wanted an animal to keep instead of slaughter. I fell in love with fiber animals. So I purchased a small flock of Pygora goats in hopes of spinning and fiber projects.

I am in love. These animals are smart, loving and have the most gorgeous fiber."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2011 :  4:04:07 PM  Show Profile
Lisa Grzeskowiak (#892) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a intermediate level Backyard Farmer badge.

"I learned to milk, actually on my own animal. My husband and I found an abandoned squirrel and knew it was too small for solid food. We had just had a little goat doe so I did the best I could think to do and made a decision to milk my fiber goat. My doe was not accustomed to this and didn't like this at first but after milking her just enough for a baby squirrel each day, she grew to tolerate it.

I am confident I could provide milk for my family, if in the future I am fortunate enough to have a milk animal."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2011 :  4:18:40 PM  Show Profile
Lisa Grzeskowiak (#892) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning an expert level Backyard Farmer badge.

"This past year, we have purchased our families beef from a local farmer. We also entered our fiber goats in one of the largest shows for their breed.

Our beef is delicious and was cut to our preference. One of our goats (2 entered) won several awards including Best of Show!"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2011 :  4:29:37 PM  Show Profile
Lisa Grzeskowiak (#892) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Self-sufficiency badge.

"I learned to grow, harvest and dry my own herbs.

This was very satisfying! It seemed difficult to begin but after doing it all myself, it was quite simple."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2011 :  4:41:23 PM  Show Profile
Lisa Grzeskowiak (#892) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a intermediate level Self-sufficiency badge.

"I learned to can. I do not have a pressure canner but did learn to water bath my tomatoes, along with making several sauces and such.

This was the best experience. I will not deny that it was a lot of prep work but was well worth it especially now into the winter, we still have fresh tomatoes."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2011 :  4:50:18 PM  Show Profile
Lisa Grzeskowiak (#892) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning an expert level Self-sufficiency badge.

"I dried fruit and "put up" many vegetables by canning, drying and freezing.

This is great! The biggest reward was drying papaya for our rabbits. We have angora rabbits and papaya helps to prevent blockages. Although I did not grow the papaya (not in Ohio) I purchased organic and was very happy at the price of drying it myself versus purchasing in small packages from the pet store."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  12:15:10 PM  Show Profile
Lisa Grzeskowiak (#892) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Entrepreneurial Spirit badge.

"I had such great success with our garden in 2009, I decided I wanted to share our bounty while making a little extra money and started looking at ways to sell my vegetables for 2010.

I was really happy with the plan I made. Budget, seeds, harvest time, pricing schedules, etc. Business Name: Greystone Homestead."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  12:21:37 PM  Show Profile
Lisa Grzeskowiak (#892) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a intermediate level Entrepreneurial Spirit badge.

"I made a call to our local farmer's market organizer, spoke with other local growers and read everything I could get my hands on about gardening and farmer's markets.

My plan was to sell at our local farmer's market, specializing in heirloom vegetables - mostly tomatoes. I also ordered business cards from an internet company."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  12:29:33 PM  Show Profile
Lisa Grzeskowiak (#892) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning an expert level Entrepreneurial Spirit badge.

"I signed up to sell my heirloom vegetables at our local farmer's market. I was at the market most Saturday's from mid-July to October.

I did make money and had many repeat customers raving about my harvest. I enjoyed very much speaking with people of like mind. I'm not sure this is something I will do again this year. Although I made money, I feel my harvest would have benefited my family more by putting up more for winter use. Maybe fiber or quilts this year."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  12:42:01 PM  Show Profile
Tiffany Caruso (Avonfemme, #2203) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"I earned my Beginner Knitting Badge by learning how to knit from a good friend of mine, knitting three scarves for Christmas gifts, and then teaching my mom. She in turn made a little "sleeping bag" for her favorite Reiki crystal.

This process was challenging, but a whole lot of fun. It took me awhile to get used to holding the needles and get into the knitting rhythm. Once I got the hang of it however, I was a force to be reckoned with (and couldn't get my fingers to quit lol!). My mom picked it up fairly quickly as well, and found a different way to position her needles and make a stitch. She taught me as well. What a lovely way to spend a snowy afternoon...errr or several!!! ;D"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  12:51:13 PM  Show Profile
Heike Boehnke-Sharp (GoddessintheGroove, #2245) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Going Green badge.

"Since I have been using "green" cleaners all along, I decided to make some of the other recipes in the FarmGirl chatroom, and offered to give away a "GREEN BASKET" to a friend on my Facebook. The response was enormous, so we picked one person, and I filled a fabric shopping bag with Greenies. Our chapter is going to offer a public "Make your own green cleaners" at our January meeting due to the response.

I met with my friend Leslie yesterday to hand over her "Green Bag". I explained all the ingredients and how to use things, and gave her a copy of the recipes so she make her own cleaners in the future. Told her it was part of my FarmGirl Merit program, and she thought that was so fabulous that she is joining herself :)."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  1:12:04 PM  Show Profile
N. Susan Harmon (SusanHarmon, #1958) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a intermediate level Aprons badge.

"I've always wanted a full apron with a sweetheart neckline, so I used some leftover quilting materials and alot of imagination to put one together.

I think I will make the next one a bit longer from the waist up, over-all, I'm very happy with it."

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page