Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirl Sisterhood
 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!
 Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees 
Page: of 526

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2011 :  3:39:44 PM  Show Profile
Sunny McDonald (MTNsunshine, #914) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level I Should Have Been in the Movies badge.

"For this badge I chose Shopping Green. I purchased or was given all of my reusable shopping bags so there was no material list. I did feel funny talking to myself so I had my kiddos be my audience. That made it a lot easier. I use the same journal for all of my Farmgirl badges, it's nice to have them all in the same place."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2011 :  3:56:25 PM  Show Profile
Sunny McDonald (MTNsunshine, #914) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Bee Good to Your Mother Earth badge.

"I love lOvE LOVE my garden. I grow everything I possibly can in our zone. We have never used any pesticides or synthetic fertilizers, it's nice to be able you watch my kids munch on a tomato right off the vine and know it's safe for them. I take great pride in my garden. I'm good friends with the owner of the local CSA and he has a plethora of knowledge when it comes to organic pest control. This year our big problem was ants and I used tangle foot and it worked great!
I've converted my mom and dad into using "safe practices" in their garden. Makes my heart happy."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2011 :  4:03:06 PM  Show Profile
Sunny McDonald (MTNsunshine, #914) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level Gaining Ground badge.

"We have a compost tumbler that my dad got for me. It sits on a stand that puts it at a perfect level and I can put the wheel barrow right underneath and open the hatch and whala compost in the wheel barrow with no shoveling!!! woohooo!  I think worms are going to be the favorite pet around here and the book "The Earth Moved" was a good read."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2011 :  4:06:54 PM  Show Profile
Sunny McDonald (MTNsunshine, #914) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level What's Your Beef? badge.

"www.eatwild.com was a great resource site! We have our own cattle ranch and have always butchered our own beef. It's nice to know that it's 100% natural for sure. Our cattle are treated wonderfully and have 320 acres to roam and graze. I didn't learn anything I didn't already know but it's always nice to get a little refresher course."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2011 :  4:12:27 PM  Show Profile
Sunny McDonald (MTNsunshine, #914) has received a certificate of achievement in Garden Gate for earning a beginner level The Secret Life of Bees badge.

"So I must start off saying this in my favorite book of all time and I've read it multiple times, I also love the movie. I purchased bee garden seed packets from our nursery and let the kids go wild in the flowerbeds. Gotta love a honey bee! Can't imagine our world with out them."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2011 :  4:19:14 PM  Show Profile
Sunny McDonald (MTNsunshine, #914) has received a certificate of achievement in Outpost for earning a beginner level Disconnect to Reconnect badge.

"I thought this badge was going to be torture for me to earn but we camp A LOT and in areas with no cell service. We left Thursday morning and returned home Monday evening. I can say it was SO nice without any electronics. The kids played with dirt, rocks, sticks AND nicely with 
each other. It was amazing. I did have quite a few emails and calls to return but it was no big deal. I want to do this every weekend now."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2011 :  4:25:10 PM  Show Profile
Sunny McDonald (MTNsunshine, #914) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"I've been crocheting since my grandmother taught me around the age of eight. I love it! It's so relaxing if you're not following a pattern or counting.  ;o) My first completed work was a scarf. I've made baby blankets, beanies, scarves and bags. I taught my niece to crochet and she loves to make ear warmers for her and her friends. I tried to follow a pattern and make little chickens but could never figure it out."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2011 :  4:36:09 PM  Show Profile
Linda Calhoun (#2116) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a intermediate level Community Service badge.

"In volunteering at the local spay and neuter clinic, they asked me to stay on and take a job there. I now work about 20 hours a week there helping others to spread the word about the over population of pets and trying to educate people more on the subject.

It's been a great experience for me. I've always enjoyed working with animals, so this fulfills a need that I have alway had."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2011 :  4:45:24 PM  Show Profile
Marie Hilliard (horselover, #2214) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Get It Together badge.

"I took a good look at my kitchen cabinets this weekend when I opened the doors and out came canned goods, noodles, etc. Time to do some major work! I sorted all vegetables by type, dry goods, purchased containers to hold spices, and dry mixes. I did not realize my cupboards were busting at the seams. Now everything has a place, I even label the shelves so you know where to look or put that item.

Open cabinet doors and you will be amazed how organized they are. I was able to donate some of my stock pile (I do stockpile using coupons), to our local food bank. Very rewarding to open kitchen cabinets."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2011 :  4:54:44 PM  Show Profile
Tammy Austin (Tammy Marie, #2309) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"I have enjoyed teaching myself and trying to teach my 6 year old son to crochet. I have made scarves for my son and sisters using basic stitches.

My son is very proud of his new scarf. I am giving my sisters scarves to them at Christmas. I hope they enjoy them as much as my son. They were made with love. Wish me luck on learning new stitches."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2011 :  5:04:59 PM  Show Profile
Valerie Oliver (valgirl, #2356) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning an expert level Buttoned Up badge.

"I earned this merit badge, but not without some difficulty. I had a hard time finding china buttons...wow...but I won. I finally found one. I have had wooden, rubber and metal buttons for some time in my button collection. I found an Old WWII US Army Uniform Button that I paid $1.00 for. It is made of brass and I wonder what stories it must have to tell. I did my research on-line to see the history of these types of buttons and found that the one I have is a General Service Brass Button. I will treasure it as it reminds me of the service my grandfather did in WWII.

I am pleased that I finally did find my china button, and to reflect on some memories of my grandfather in my history research... :)"

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  11:23:59 AM  Show Profile
Patricia Nickols (#2414) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Knitting badge.

"I knitted a winter cap in variegated blue yarn.

It turned out good. It fits and will be nice and warm for our Ohio winters."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  11:29:07 AM  Show Profile
Patricia Nickols (#2414) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"I made myself a half apron in a Christmas fabric, I wear it while making dinner and when we are making Christmas cookies. Makes me feel like my mom!

It is a little on the big size, I will adjust the pattern for my next one but other than that it's fine."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  12:23:50 PM  Show Profile
N. Susan Harmon (SusanHarmon, #1958) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Little Squirts badge.

"I checked and oiled each door and cabinet in my house. We don't have any bicycles, but I did adjust and lube the motorcycle chains. Then went through all of the garden tools, using a wire brush I cleaned all dirt and rust, then oiled them and actually hung each one where it belongs in the shed.

I have a very quiet house now. Hehe."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  12:30:47 PM  Show Profile
N. Susan Harmon (SusanHarmon, #1958) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a intermediate level Little Squirts badge.

"The front door was difficult at times to close, I removed it from the hinges and sanded the top right corner, it's fixed!!!! We also replaced all exterior door handles and dead-bolts.

I accidentally slammed the door, forgetting that it was fixed."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  12:39:13 PM  Show Profile
Ruby Slider (narjay, #1663) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Homespun Christmas badge.

"This Christmas I made:
*Handmade soaps
*Pear Liqueur
*Hand lotion
*Lip balm
*Knitted and Crochet dishcloths
*Dishrag ‘britches’ – (learned this from a co-worker) To make: use yarn or ribbon to loosely sew 2 dishrags into pants. Pin on a note that says:
Don’t be mistaken
Don’t be mislead
They’re not for you
But your dishes instead
Take out the ribbon
Take out the stitches
You now have two dishrags
But you’ve lost your britches.

Instead of using paper gift bags or wrapping paper. I made gift bags out of left over material from other projects and from feed sacks (they make great shopping bags). So the wrapping is actually a gift also.

For my tree I made lots of crochet snow flakes in various colors and sizes.

I love the way everything turned out. Can’t wait until Christmas to see how everyone likes them."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  12:45:42 PM  Show Profile
Stephanie Orr (OrrShine, #1545) has received a certificate of achievement in Farm Kitchen for earning a beginner level Know Your Food badge.

"After about 10 days of writing in my food journal, I noticed a definite pattern. We were eating so many carbs. A simple salad at lunch and dinner would add so many veggies to our diet. I have made more trips to the farmers market and the local apple orchard. A basic squash soup is my newest favorite meal.

I absolutely loved reading "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle." The book made me more aware of what foods are in season when. I had a keep my journal on the table or else I would forget to write in it. Eliminating the hydrogenated oils was easy for me. I only use them in cookies or pie crust and butter has been a good substitute."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  12:57:03 PM  Show Profile
Susan Baxter (farmgirl, #2448) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Aprons badge.

"I made a Elvis apron for my good friend for Christmas.

It turned out great. It was beautiful."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  1:02:49 PM  Show Profile
Susan Baxter (farmgirl, #2448) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Quilting badge.

"I made a quilted pot holder for my daughter for Christmas.

It turned out good. Very bright."

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  2:24:21 PM  Show Profile
Catherine Griffin (cajungal, #76) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Going Green badge.

"When our first child was born 17 years ago, I didn't want anything in our home to be a danger to her. I committed to de-toxing each room and changing our bad habits. Our family journal was started shortly after I married my husband. It's filled with memories and notes to my children about what makes us "Griffins" who we are. Applying for this badge made me revisit all those decisions and double check our "green status". We're still good! No toxic cleaning chemicals. I've updated our family mission statement. Currently, I am mentoring a young lady engaged to be married. We have been busy discussing natural ways to run her future home and we've made a "cleaning basket" with vinegar/water mixtures and essential oils for fragrance and extra cleaning power.

I was so pleased to see that we have remained toxic free for these past years. It encouraged my spirit that we're still doing all the right things for our family."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  2:49:46 PM  Show Profile
Catherine Griffin (cajungal, #76) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Shopping Green badge.

"The reusable bags that I've purchased have come in handy for more than groceries. They're so strong and durable. I use them to pack picnic items, craft items, my camera equipment and more. I've gotten tired of seeing the grocery store name on my bags, so I've been making my own out of fabric scraps. I'm most proud of the ones I've just made out of feed bags. Our goat and rabbit feed bags are made of a hefty waxed canvas of some type and have such cute pictures. I reinforce the bottoms, cut them to size and use what I cut off to make the handles. I love them!

My reusable feed bags sure grab people's attention. I'm meeting so many nice people and having fun conversations with those that ask about the bags. Farmgirl Fun!!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  2:55:24 PM  Show Profile
Catherine Griffin (cajungal, #76) has received a certificate of achievement in Cleaning Up for earning a beginner level Green Energy badge.

"My geographic location confines me to using only 1 power company. Currently, this company uses a diverse fuel mix of natural gas, nuclear, coal and hydro energy. While I have not had a different choice for over 20 years, I have changed my power usage habits and made my home more efficient. I've been seeking out solar power for my home for those same 20 years without success. Back then, it was going to cost over $100k to install solar. But, there wasn't a company that would work in our area. Today, I can outfit my home for under $10k and companies are beginning to install in my area. I and some other interested friends have had consultations with these companies and hopefully, we'll move forward on projects.

I was glad to find out that my power company was diverse in its generating of power. I was also pleased to see that they are involved in many different areas of research, experimental projects, helping disadvantaged, and education in the schools."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  3:26:51 PM  Show Profile
Melissa Snead (mellee, #2143) has received a certificate of achievement in Stitching & Crafting for earning a beginner level Crochet badge.

"For my secret sister I crocheted a sprial scarf. For my penpal I crocheted a floral motif scarf. For my secrect sister(the one sending me secret sis gifts), I crocheted a shawl and beret.

They all turned out very well and I have received praise and appreciation from all I gave. I am afraid I wasn't aware I needed to provide photos of the items and I already sent them out."
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  3:35:32 PM  Show Profile
Megan Salter (HondaRebelGirl, #1383) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a beginner level Entrepreneurial Spirit badge.

"I researched business plans on the internet and assembled many of them into a single, larger template. I then used this information as a guide to further research into my idea – an Etsy-based business through which I could sell the para-cord bracelets I’ve recently started making – I need to pay for more para-cord and textbooks somehow! The business plans I looked at required you to evaluate your competition and then figure out where you fit into the market. This was one of the smartest things I could have ever done! The research gave me a lot of ideas, but it also helped me to draw some lines about the kind of product I wanted to offer. The name we (I got a little help from my husband on this one) originally chose was “Your Place on the Couch” – this didn’t roll off the tongue very easily, though, and we ended up with “Your Seat on the Sofa.”

This was a nerve-wracking time because I knew I wanted to proceed but wasn’t sure how. For the time being, I had to wait!"
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2011 :  3:48:04 PM  Show Profile
Megan Salter (HondaRebelGirl, #1383) has received a certificate of achievement in Each Other for earning a intermediate level Entrepreneurial Spirit badge.

"I knew that the first step in this process was acquiring a federal tax ID number. This process was amazingly simple. I began to build a little confidence. I took this to my city’s code enforcement office, where I made friends with the secretary – Momma didn’t raise no fool – and filled out my home-based business license application. This process, too, was amazingly simple. I began to think that I was dreaming! This was all too easy!

Then came the bad news. A planning and zoning sign would be placed in my front yard for fifteen days. FIFTEEN! And that was fifteen BUSINESS days! Agh! This would be fine if I didn’t have fussy neighbors. I was lectured by several of them, and I fully expected a neighborhood posse to come to the planning and zoning meeting in an attempt to crucify me. I was very nervous for those couple of weeks, but when the time came for the P& Z meeting, the only folks in attendance were the city council members and other individuals looking to do the same thing I was doing. I was the first to stand at the mic, and even though I was probably shaking a bit, I was quickly approved. What a relief! I picked up my official license a few days later and bought it a cheap, pretty frame.

I’ve ordered my business cards, one set classy and one set funky, and they’re expected to arrive Christmas Eve – what a Christmas present! I'm anxiously waiting."

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 526 Merit Badge Awardees - Woo-hoo Sisters!:  Farmgirl Sisterhood Merit Badge Awardees   
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page