asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2005 :  3:45:08 PM  Show Profile
Not sure if this is the corect forum to post this, but I couldn't find a topic in the general listing that came any closer.
I am fond of resurrecting old furniture - from re-finishing to re-upholstry. I learned from my Mom and Dad that almost anything that was well built to start with has a chance at a second life.
I was wondering if there are other furniture refinishing/rebuilding buffs out there and if you have any tips to pass on.

One tip I have is if you have old hardware that has been painted - whether from windows, doors or old cupboards - one way to get all the paint off is to boil them in a pot of water with Arm & Hammer concentrated detergent. Make sure to use an old pot, about 1 to 2 quarts of water and about a tablespoon of the detergent. Bring to a good boil and boil for a few minutes. Make sure to open a window - it does smell. As it boils you will see the paint come right off. Then cool, dry and buff up. Works wonders.

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2005 :  5:32:53 PM  Show Profile
I love to resurrect old furniture too but mostly paint my things to give them a new life. I haven't tried upholstry but am going to attempt some slipcovers this Fall. What a great tip for getting paint off of hardware. My daughter, Missy, does lots of trash to treasure and refinishing. She'll probably post some tips here too.

"If you are lucky enough to have a garden, you are lucky enough!"
Go to Top of Page

lamarguerite farm
True Blue Farmgirl

649 Posts

missy
Battle Ground Wa
USA
649 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2005 :  6:16:11 PM  Show Profile
I do more painting and working with salvage and old architecture. One tip I have is that if you have sanded a piece to paint and are dealing with stains bleeding through, especially cherry stain, you can either spray or brush on a metallic paint in that area and it will prevent it from bleeding through the next coat.

Blessings,

Missy

"Show me you're garden and I shall tell you what you are."
-Alfred Austin 1905
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2005 :  7:27:17 PM  Show Profile
One of the things I like to do is take an old piece - doesn't have to be a rare antique - and kinda rebuild and paint. One of the most recent pieces was a pie/jelly cupboard that was left in our basement from the previous owners. Our house was built in 1912, so I think this piece is probably from the original owners - it had square nails in it. It stands about 6' high, about a foot deep and 4' wide. On the sides were oval openings to let air pass through, but some one had put 2" x 4" pieces over them. The back was all split and the shelves were coming out. With the aid of my dad, we put a new back on, new shelves, we ripped the 2" x 4" off and put small square screening instead. My dad also built two small drawers for the bottom that slide out. After it was sanded down it got a good paint job with Laura Ashley Lavender on the outside and pale apple green on the inside, then I antiqued it. It is now holds my clothes, like t-shirts, jeans, etc. I love it.
Go to Top of Page

Jes
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

jes
whitefield me
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2005 :  3:35:35 PM  Show Profile
I have given old furniture a new life as a living for years. You can find pics. on my journal site below....under "artsy Fartsy" for inspiration. Thanks for the old hardware tip....You never know what you'll learn!

One of my favorite "antiquing" tools is a wax finish with a light stain in it. BRIWAX is a common one. It takes a little elbow grease to buff...but the rich finish is so worth it. You can also get the wax without any stain as well...and again, I like the finish so much better then a varnish topcoat. The extra work is worth the effort!

Just a Maine Girl
http://sweetpeas.motime.com ~journal
http://sweetpeasme.motime.com ~collective souls....a journal's journey
Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2005 :  4:05:24 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the good tips! Elbow grease I got! I had this antique marble top table and when an oak hit the roof last year with Hurricane Charley, the table ended up getting a piece of her corner knocked off.Do any of you know how to repair? Will I have to replace? Can I get the old piece cut and beveled like on the chip corner and use the marble on something else?
Wow sweetpeaJes I loved the purple conflower chest! Is it possibel to put mosaic on the side of a table? Or could you just do it on the tops?
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2005 :  5:10:43 PM  Show Profile
Briwax is the best! The finish that it leaves is beautiful -- well worth the elbow grease.

"If you are lucky enough to have a garden, you are lucky enough!"
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2005 :  06:46:08 AM  Show Profile
Ellen -

I did a little "surfing" on the web and there is a site called Bobvilla.com. Looks like there have been questions about broken/chipped marble tops. Didn't see any answers to how to repair, but it looks like you ask Bob direct and he must answer your question via e-mail. It's worth a try.
Anne

"Second star to the right, and straight on till morning"

Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

Jes
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

jes
whitefield me
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2005 :  04:23:14 AM  Show Profile
Ellen...yes, you could most certainly mosaic the front of a table! In my experience, tip the table on it's back, so that the side you are mosaicing is always facing up. Make sure the mastic is dry before tipping back over, as sometimes heavier objects will slide out of place. then....move on to the next side!

Another tip....SAND AND PRIME if you are painting a piece! When I was doing furniture full time I hired a friend to come over 2-3 days a week...and all she did was SAND AND PRIME. AGAIN with the extra elbow grease, but it will be worth it in the long run....I promise.

Just a Maine Girl
http://sweetpeas.motime.com ~journal
http://sweetpeasme.motime.com ~collective souls....a journal's journey
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2005 :  10:29:27 AM  Show Profile
I agree with Jes - sanding and priming are very important. Also when doing a natural finish, steel wooling between coats of varnish give you a smoother finish. I am also a big fan of the Briwax, I've used both the clear and dark for various finishes. I love it.

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2005 :  3:07:20 PM  Show Profile
Anne,Thanks for doing the surfing. I emailed bob and I'll let you know if I get an answer. I was pondering going down to the monument makers for advice, so maybe I will still stopover. Do you get briwax at your hardware store? I use Ace.

Do you all have any tips on how to sand or get the old varnish out of the little grooves they be like crevasses from different levels of trim? What about I got another table if it has a veneer that is dented?

Jes when you do the mosaics in sides then can you grout all in the same day or will this slide too? will you be able to tell will it look like a patch?
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2005 :  06:37:11 AM  Show Profile
Ellen -

Actually I get my Briwax from a antique store in historic Sellwood here in Portland. But I am sure the ACE Hardware store down the street has it too, they seem to carry a bit of everything. I have never found an easy "trick" to getting varnish out of little grooves/crevasses. Just steelwool and some elbo grease. I did use a small "V" shaped scraper to get paint out of the grooves on the stair railing spindles when I stripped that, but I had to be careful not to gouge the woodwork. Maybe someone else has a better way of doing it.

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2005 :  07:35:05 AM  Show Profile
I'm hardly anything like a professional refinisher. But I did have to remove all the many layers of paint from the woodwork in our livingroom. Our house is about 140 years old, and it was a lot of layers, including milk paint.

I used a heat gun for some of it, chemical stripper for the wood between the windowpanes, and a Dremel tool for the corners and difficult spots. There were two doorways, two windows that were nine feet high from floor to ceiling, and two regular (large)windows. When the heat gun or chemical had softened the paint, I used an old antique butter knife that matched the contour of the wood, a dull straight edge razor, and some inexpensive woodworking chisels (be careful!) to get the rest. When done, I sanded and then wiped it down with acetone, and then with one of those tacky finishing cloths before painting. It came out gorgeous; all the crispness of the detail of the original woodwork was there, and I get to appreciate what the people who built this house saw.

I also learned to hate milk paint. You have to be verrrrry careful with a heat gun; you can easily singe the wood trying to remove the paint! It's tough old stuff.

Go to Top of Page

Tammy Claxton
True Blue Farmgirl

1559 Posts

Tammy
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
1559 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2007 :  11:56:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Tammy Claxton an AOL message
I have to admit that I am a furniture buff! My husband says that I should own an antique store..lol I often get things off of freecycle online and craigslist. I usually have a few projects going on at once and that often takes me awhile to get them done. I recently rehabbed a Hoosier cabinet that was given to me by my grandmother in-law. It dates back to 1941! I love how it turned out. It still has the flour bin in it! I also have an antique Queen Anne chair out in my garage that is all stripped and ready for new upholstery. If I can, I will post a pic of the cabinet. I am so proud of it!!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2007 :  12:45:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I love old furniture. I have a blanket box that was my grandmothers that needs some help. The top has no finish on it, and my grandfather let his dog jump on it too look out the window so it has a bunch of scratches in it. Someday soon it will get re-habed! :)

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2007 :  1:07:39 PM  Show Profile
I haven't refinished anything yet, but I have quite a collection of furniture waiting for me to learn how. Mostly chairs that need to be refinished and then reupholstered. I'm running into a big problem with starting. I don't know anything about finishes and I'm scared to ruin stuff. Also, my husband keeps insisting that I can't strip anything and paint it (which seems like an easy way to get started). He wants me to make the existing finish look good, which seems like no small order. Any suggestions for a good first time project?
Go to Top of Page

Tammy Claxton
True Blue Farmgirl

1559 Posts

Tammy
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
1559 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2007 :  8:57:56 PM  Show Profile  Send Tammy Claxton an AOL message
If you have a small piece of furniture, then that is a good place to start. Get a piece that isn't in too bad of shape and try a light sanding on any scratches. Use a fine sandpaper. Usually the beautiful grain will show itself again. If you get to that point, then either stain it with a good stain/polyurethane combo like Minwax Brand in the color you choose, or if you like the natural look if the wood, then get a good polyurethane clear coat and put on it. Let it dry really well and then reapply another thin coat of it. Oh, always make sure the space you work in is dust free and well ventilated.....I learned that the hard way..WHEW!!!
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2007 :  11:46:24 AM  Show Profile
Funny this should come up. I've been looking at this settee that someone kindly gave to us--it's a deco piece--probably 30's era. It's leather on the seat and back, with a lovely wood frame--looks like cherry, because of the color, but they used mahogany, then, too. Anyway, it's been pretty abused. Mostly just "unattended" in the sense that the varnish is dried out, the legs have been knicked by a vacuum, and some of the varnish is chipped off here and there, and the leather is dried out and has some sort of stain. I bought a couple of things for the leather stain--including Ivory soap. I'm hoping that will take it out--but after 60 years or so, I'm pretty skeptical

I contacted an upholster--it would be $1200 alone to reupholster the leather portion (and it's no bigger than a one person settee), so I'm going to try to clean it up myself.

What is this briwax you speak of?

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2007 :  11:46:43 AM  Show Profile
I love refinishing, and as soon as my mil found out, she sends all her discards to us. Some aren't even in good enough shape to redo, but occasionally she'll send something fun. Just recently, she sent me an iron plant stand. I scraped and sanded all the old paint off, then repainted it white. With a cushion, it makes a perfect vanity stool. Most of my furniture has come from flea markets, garage sales and used furniture stores (even some pieces from trash piles -- Hey, I'm not proud!) I have also done upholstry, but although I'll do it again if I need to, I'm going to stick to smaller pieces, like rockers or chairs or foot stools. As far as getting in the tight grooves, I sometimes use a thin piece of metal (like a nail file), wrap it in sand paper and do my best. I also have a soft bristle wire brush, but even with the soft bristles, you have to be very careful not to scar the wood. What I really want to learn to do is to reporcelain. I have a bathtub in desperate need of refinishing, but I've heard the products at Home Depot and Lowe's is really NOT the way to go. Anne, I LOVE the lavendar and green color combination you used! It sounds like it turned out beautiful!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2007 :  10:00:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I make a furniture polish that is great for antique finishes, especially if there is crazing or een no finish left. Basically you take beeswax and melt it down and add linseed oil or even mineral oil to the point where it is a soft paste.

Also as a harder wax you can take half beeswax and half parafin wax. You will need it to be very hot to apply this one though and I keep a hairdryer on had because if you get even a little bit too much it can turn white on you, but a short blast from the hair dryer will warm it up enough to be buffed in.

Alee
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  06:57:18 AM  Show Profile
Old dental tools are great for getting into the small crevices and tight spots when removing old finishes. These are not the "explorers" that are sharp but the instruments used when finishing a filling. I have several of these tools in different shapes from when I worked for a dentist and wouldn't trade them for anything.
Hugs, kathy
Go to Top of Page

Duchess
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

Iowa
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  07:24:46 AM  Show Profile
Great tips, thank you all so much. I love getting my treasures,lol.
At the moment I have a large dining room table that is wobbly and a variety of chairs with assorted ills. Any good tips for helping these guy? I also have veneer issues, is ther anyway to fix chips?
My guys are not good when it comes to moving things and I can not
seem to get it through their heads that you have to be careful. MEN.
anyway, thank you for any help or pointing me to sites that might have help.
Happy hunting for all those treasures
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  07:39:42 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Real wood expands and contracts with age, so if the joints are glued, then the glue can crack and come loose. If your chairs and tables are wobbly, you will probably need to glue and clamp the joints to help tighten it up again. As far as the veneer goes- I am not sure. You might have to find a matching veneer somewhere and replace the section. Can you post a photo?

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Duchess
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

Iowa
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  10:17:24 AM  Show Profile
Hi Alee,

You are truly a jack of all trades. Ok, now I know this is going to
sound really dumb, but I need from the start information. Like
how do you get the furniture apart, do you need to, what kind of
glue?? I have tried things like Elmers in the past with less then
great results. Do I have to drill a hole to put the new glue? I would love to put pictures but have not had super results with previous tries. I will go take some more and see what happens. If you can think of a good website I could try I would love it. The cold weather is on the way and I will have lots of time over the winter to do these tasks as well as attempting to make soap. Thanks again, Barbara
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  10:38:11 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Barbara!

If the furniture isn't apart already, you probably shouldn't pry it apart, but rather just squeeze the glue into the wiggly joint, clamp it as tight as you can until the the glue dries. You'll want to wipe up any glue that squeezes out with a cloth.

You should use Wood Glue. You can get it at the hardware store.

You shouldn't drill a hole for the new glue.

If you got to "Across the Fence" I have a picture tutorial for how to use photobucket and how to post pictures here on the forum.

I hope that helps!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Duchess
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

Iowa
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2007 :  11:24:05 AM  Show Profile
Hey Alee,

I looked at the directions but they are pretty much Greek to me
I sent you a note and couple of pictures to your msn address.
I hope that is alright. As to glue, what I had used in the past was the Elmer's wood glue, but the chair I glued fell back apart,lol.
I know when I watch the shows they always have some secret blend and I think one time they even mentioned "fish glue"?? As you can
see from the pictures all the pieces need help but thing it will be
a good project and you guys all inspire me.

Thanks again, Barbara
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Make It Easy: Previous Topic Resurrect Old Furniture Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page