Lea Vollmer
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Lea
Evansville IN
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2008 :  11:08:10 PM  Show Profile
I've just been diagnosed with Restless Leg Syndrome and have heard that a bar of Ivory Soap placed under the bottom sheet of your bed helps with the symptoms. Anyone here have the same problem? What works for you? I'm taking Requip, but sometimes it just doesn't seem to help.

Lea

My blog: www.kneedeepinfibers.blog-city.com
The cat's blog: www.justopenthecan.blogspot.com
Ravelry ID: LeaMV

22shortie
True Blue Farmgirl

329 Posts

rebekah
sulphur la
USA
329 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2008 :  08:19:31 AM  Show Profile
I watch my caffine and sugar intake because that seems to make the problem worse. Esspecially coffee and chocolate stuff! Sometimes a heating pad helpsd me a little. My dad has the same problem and Im not sure if anything really releives his RLS. But mine is pretty well undercontrol when i watch what I eat...Hope it gets better for you. Maybe the meds will kick in soon!

Check out my latest projects and all the news from my chaotic little world!

http://pumpkinseed-unscripted.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2008 :  09:12:34 AM  Show Profile
My mom always drank a little, oh my, forgot the name--- I think it was club soda? Anyway, it has quinine in it. Says it on the label. You find it in the soda pop section of the grocery store. It was the quinine that helped her for years.

Firefighter Stairclimb March 2nd- Help me help others by donating on my fundraising page. https://www.active.com/donate/17thscottstairclimb/angieriggsby
Go to Top of Page

Peanut
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Jennifer
Waverly Virginia
USA
603 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2008 :  09:24:40 AM  Show Profile
Tonic water has quinine in it. Or...it used to. I'm not sure it still does.

My new blog! http://thecottonwife.wordpress.com/

"What is a farm but a mute gospel?"
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2008 :  12:09:55 PM  Show Profile
Lea, I remembered some postings about this so I did a search under the "Here's to your Health" forum:

http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1552&SearchTerms=restless+leg+syndrome

Maybe there are some suggestions that will help you ... good luck.

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2008 :  12:41:24 PM  Show Profile
You are right, tonic water, thanks. I had a brain misfire there for a minute. You can still buy it around here with quinine in it. You just have to look at the label. Thanks for clearing that up!

Firefighter Stairclimb March 2nd- Help me help others by donating on my fundraising page. https://www.active.com/donate/17thscottstairclimb/angieriggsby
Go to Top of Page

Lea Vollmer
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Lea
Evansville IN
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2008 :  7:58:56 PM  Show Profile
Don't know if I can do tonic water or not - I tasted it once and BLEAH! I'll check out your link Jo, thanks.

Lea - Farm Girl at Heart in Indiana
My blog: www.kneedeepinfibers.blog-city.com
The cat's blog: www.justopenthecan.blogspot.com
Ravelry ID: LeaMV
Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2008 :  06:56:05 AM  Show Profile
Dr told us yrs ago that quinine was the answer- my DH couldnt take the pill because of other meds.
He takes gabapentin from time to time now- but caffeine is a definite no-no for him.

Blessings,
Autumn
Farmgirl #49
http://simplytoday-autumn.blogspot.com/

Isaiah 40:31
But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2008 :  4:21:41 PM  Show Profile
When I had a problem a couple years ago, our retired chiro here, told me that I wasn't drinking enough water. I drank more water and it went away. It's happened a few times since, and I just get up, drink a big glass of water and go back to bed. All better!

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

Nin
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Enjoyng life in the world of Peachy Hollow

106 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2008 :  5:49:34 PM  Show Profile
I'll have to pass this onto my MIL.
And I LOVE Indian tonic water (the one with the quinnine in it). I could drink it all day!

www.peachyhollow.com
Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2008 :  6:39:58 PM  Show Profile
I JUST had a good friend tell me that the soap trick seriously works! HE said he wished he would have known about that before going through hundreds of dollars worth of prescriptions- though he would have happily paid it if any had worked half as well as the soap;)
Let us know if it works for you- I am curious now, Rebekka

www.bebebella.etsy.com

As a woman I have no country. As a woman, my country is the whole world.

Virginia Woolf
Go to Top of Page

Tammy Claxton
True Blue Farmgirl

1559 Posts

Tammy
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
1559 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2008 :  11:28:02 AM  Show Profile  Send Tammy Claxton an AOL message
I have RLS too and I take requip. Seems to work for me. Don't know if I could drink tonic water either.

Crafty Bay Farmgirl Chapter

"A friend is someone who does things that count, but never stops to count them"

Farmgirl #152

http://countryintheburbs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2008 :  7:10:52 PM  Show Profile
I learned that roobis tea is excellent for this too. So far, it has worked for me these past 6 months or so. Plus, I read that eating a banana helps so I do that too.

My quilting and life blog!!
http://downtoearthliving.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Shi-anne
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Cheryl
Ada OK
USA
596 Posts

Posted - May 29 2008 :  9:30:38 PM  Show Profile
If I am not mistaken, magnesium will stop RLS.

Farmgirls don't have hot flashes ~ They have power surges!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 29 2008 :  9:57:45 PM  Show Profile
I am so glad to hear about the tonic water...not for RLS..but my husband gets really really really bad leg cramps..like nothing I have ever seen..whenever he works really extra hard all day..especially in summer. He drinks salt water and that helps them stop..but not before he is so messed up and loses a night of sleep usually. The doctor told him that they used to tell patients to take quinine but there arn't quinine pills available anymore. Maybe he could drink the tonic water on hot days to help out..worth a try for sure. Couldn't be worse than salt water!!ugh!!
I will get some magnesium and get him to try that too. I guess he used to take salt tablets as a teenager when he played football. Probably not as good for a 50 year old to do. Anyway..thanks for the idea gals!! I learn something here every day. Tonic water isn't something I have ever bought..didn't know it had quinine in it!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - May 29 2008 :  10:41:08 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Explain the "soap" thing? I am more fuzzie then normal...:)

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

" Plant goodness, harvest the fruit of loyalty, plow the new ground of knowledge. Hosea 10:12
Go to Top of Page

abbysshadow
True Blue Farmgirl

224 Posts

Sherry
Dayton Nevada
USA
224 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2008 :  07:22:36 AM  Show Profile
hi all... last year some time the "doctor column" in our newspaper brought up the "soap under the sheets" thing and so many people wrote in to say that they had tried it and it worked for them...for RLS and leg cramps...the column put in at least one letter per day about that for weeks...it sounds worth a try...I believe it was Dr. Gott's column...

home with all my heart :)
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2008 :  08:52:00 AM  Show Profile
One of the things that causes it is a lack of potassium. bananas and corn are both high in it and after reading another thread so is molassas. when mine flares up it is because I have not had enough. On the road hotels usually have bananas for breakfast, but I am trying to get more corn in my system.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2008 :  9:28:54 PM  Show Profile
Lea:
I have slept with a bar of soap (any kind) in my bed for over three years. I haven't had restless legs since!!!!!! Also, when I get a cramp in my legs, I flex my toes upward toward me. The cramp goes away. wierd or not, both work for me.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

aimeeravae
True Blue Farmgirl

341 Posts

Aimee
Deer River MN
USA
341 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2008 :  09:37:27 AM  Show Profile
The DH puts pressure on the cramping area and it seams to reduce the "pulling". Thats the only way I can describe it, like someone is pulling from the inside.

Aimee

http://laplantewardklopf.blogspot.com/ Motto To Live By
"Life should NOT be a jouney to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, latte in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!"
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2008 :  7:56:48 PM  Show Profile
I am a true believer in the soap in the bed. Last night I changed the bed linen and forgot my bar of soap. This morning I had a cramp in my lower leg. It hurts so much I couldn't even move my leg. When things were better, the first thing I did was get the bar of soap, and back under the covers it went!
Marly
Go to Top of Page

KellyA
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

Kelly
Johnsonville NY
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  09:18:49 AM  Show Profile  Send KellyA an AOL message
So this is where my mom found out about soap in the bed!! The other day I changed her (a rose) bed for her and out fell a bar of soap! Very unusual cure, but she thinks it is working! :-)

Kelly
When a cookbook is in hand, life is good!
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  09:49:34 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
SO where do you stick the soap?? Under the bed, sheets??? Thanks because DH has restless legs bad...

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  3:15:14 PM  Show Profile
I put the wrapped bar of soap between the fitted sheet and the top sheet. It is by my lower legs. It works for me. I hope it helps you.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  5:32:07 PM  Show Profile
Ok Just how does a bar of soap put under the sheets help this? I am skeptical? Beverley

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2008 :  9:07:43 PM  Show Profile
Beverly:
I read an article in the local newspaper written by Dr. Gott, I don't know who the doctor is, but he mentioned the soap. I don't remember much about the article. But, I was having legs cramps so bad. I would have tried anything. The soap worked for me. I was skeptical, too, but I was more desperate! Try it.
Marly
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Try This: Previous Topic Restless Leg Syndrome Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page