Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 **News from MaryJanesFarm
 Summer 2008 Pay Dirt Farm School Classes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author **News from MaryJanesFarm: Previous Topic Summer 2008 Pay Dirt Farm School Classes Next Topic  

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2008 :  05:41:19 AM  Show Profile
Pay Dirt Farm School Classes:

April 26, 2008 - Build a Back Yard Greenhouse

Build an affordable, but sturdy, greenhouse in your back yard for less than $150. It goes up easily in one weekend, and can be built by one person with minimal tools and building skills! Participants will take home a list of resources, a list of supplies needed to build their own greenhouse, as well as a chart to help them plan what to plant and when in order to enjoy continuous harvests all year 'round!

Instructor: Sunny Cook, Director of Pay Dirt Farm School, is committed to helping everyone learn to grow food organically, right where they are, regardless if they have a large amount of land or an apartment. Yards of grass can be converted to gardens of food, and greenhouses can extend the harvest throughout the year, even through winter! Sustainable communities can begin right in everyone's back yard!

Cost: $25

Time: 1:00 - 4:00

Location: The Silos Community Garden in Moscow (near Eastside Marketplace)

Preregistration is required, and class size is limited to 20.

Registration: MaryJanesFarm, Moscow, 208-882-6819, or sunny@maryjanesfarm.org

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

May 18, 2008 - Grow Your Own Herbal Medicine!

Herbs offer a wealth of benefits. This class will cover starting herbs from seed, the ecological niche certain herbs grow best in, when and how to harvest them, and what they are used for. Participants will take home notes, seeds, and plants. We will focus on Comfrey and Calendula in this class, but many herbs will be discussed and shown.

Instructor: K. Sequoia Ladd is a community herbalist with nearly 15 years of holistic counseling behind her. She is passionate about using organic, local plants, and wildcrafts. She also grows about 90% of the botanical medicine she uses. She infuses her herbal practice with permaculture principles to keep the focus preventative, simple, and sustainable.

Cost: $25

Time: 10:00 - 1:00

Preregistration is required, and class size is limited to 20.

Registration: MaryJanesFarm, Moscow, 208-882-6819, or sunny@maryjanesfarm.org

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2008 :  06:26:48 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
This sounds wonderful. If you ever decide to go online with some of these classes...count me in for sure! I've got the tools, the desire, tons of time at the farm and I'd be a dedicated pupil(photos included)! :D

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

corporatefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

389 Posts

Tamara
Pikeville TN
USA
389 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2008 :  06:26:50 AM  Show Profile
Wow this sounds great! But we live in TN... Any chance that some of the designs and classes will be offered on line? It would be great to be able to purchase the green house diagram and basic info via your website Just wondering!

small farms give big benefits
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2008 :  06:33:37 AM  Show Profile
If only this Kentucky girl could get to Idaho!!!!

Online classes would be fabulous!!!! Sortof like "youtube" for farmgirls.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2008 :  06:45:38 AM  Show Profile
I couldn't agree more about the online stuff. We even have a HD video camera but it hasn't been switched on in months. Now where are those 32 hour days!

We'll get there at some point but until then...

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2008 :  06:53:51 AM  Show Profile
Hey Mary jane!!! Hows about I stay and xtra two weeks or so so I can go to the herbal class??? I could help you anywhere! I can cook, clean, work in the yard-have great people skills-put me to work sweetie! I'm sure my job at Albertsons wouldn't mind!!! Oh! I'm a great Mima! I can help with Stella!!!

Actually, I was thinking about this-do you guys need an intern or help during harvest? Work for stay at farm!!!!! LOL! Hugs!

"No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars,or sailed to an uncharted land or opened a new heaven to the human spirit." Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16279 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16279 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2008 :  06:55:35 AM  Show Profile
Are you serious about staying in May?

Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2008 :  07:09:55 AM  Show Profile
Serious???? As long as I'm back for the birth of my grandaughter-May 28 is her due date.... but she is like me-two weeks late! I'd come in a heartbeart! My boss will kill me, but if you are serious- I'm so there!!! Lets talk!!! Hugs!

"No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars,or sailed to an uncharted land or opened a new heaven to the human spirit." Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2008 :  07:20:06 AM  Show Profile
Woohoo! I missed the Pay Dirt classes last year...am off to check my schedule and put as many on the calendar as possible for this year;)
Rebekka

www.bebebella.etsy.com

As a woman I have no country. As a woman, my country is the whole world.

Virginia Woolf
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2008 :  08:10:22 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That would be so much fun! Sounds like I need to pre-register! Thanks for helping to put these together MaryJane!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2008 :  09:28:07 AM  Show Profile
Sunny, I'm in for the Greenhouse Class. I sent an email asking how to register. Thanks! Judy

We come from the earth, we go back to the earth, and in between, we garden!
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17044 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17044 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2008 :  4:29:01 PM  Show Profile
oh fiddles!!!!
I will still be at a retreat in Walla Walla at the time of the greenhouse class...

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
mjf#72
Sisters on the Fly#472
www.katmom4.blogspot.com
www.katmom44.blinkz.com

Edited by - katmom on Mar 26 2008 4:29:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2008 :  5:24:05 PM  Show Profile
Sunny- The greenhouse class looks like a go for me- and it will be so fun to have it at Silo's;) I will be checking in with Erik to be sure it works with his schedule but I can't wait!!!
Rebekka

www.bebebella.etsy.com

Virginia Woolf
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2008 :  5:54:10 PM  Show Profile
Gosh I sure wish I could come for that greenhouse class....my dream is to someday have a greenhouse in my backyard..sounds perfect! I will have to hope for that online class too. What fun you will have!!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2008 :  6:41:49 PM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
Greenhouse building sounds fun

Mama to 2
FarmGirl# 20

Rich or Poor, It Dont matter We're all the same everybodys hungry in a different way....

http://myfarmdreams.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Firemama on Mar 26 2008 6:55:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2008 :  08:26:45 AM  Show Profile
That greenhouse has me intriqued too. Whenever online classes become a reality, I'll be watching for that one.

Have you ever considered training people to hold classes around the county, like King Arthur Flour does with it's baking class demonstrators?
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Em
True Blue Farmgirl

137 Posts

Emme
Carnation WA
137 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2008 :  11:58:00 AM  Show Profile
Maybe someone could take notes, and send that and the supply list out and we could make it a DIY project for the Farmgirl chapters!

Farmgirl Sister #138
Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2008 :  1:07:55 PM  Show Profile
Perhaps Sunny will sell her AMAZING packets to those who cannot make it- I heard they were jam packed with great information last year;)

www.bebebella.etsy.com

Virginia Woolf
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Em
True Blue Farmgirl

137 Posts

Emme
Carnation WA
137 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2008 :  1:11:47 PM  Show Profile
Ooooh yeah! C'mon Sunny! Pleeeease???

Farmgirl Sister #138
Go to Top of Page

Sunny
True Blue Farmgirl

120 Posts

120 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2008 :  2:39:03 PM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone!

As you can see, I don't make it back to the chat room very often! (Email me directly if you ever have anything "pressing" to be answered. I get to those much faster.)

Since many of you have asked about the plans for the greenhouse, I'll be writing an article for the next issue of MaryJanesFarm to describe how to make the back yard greenhouse. (It won't be in the magazine that's coming out in two weeks, of course, but the summer issue. That will give you plenty of time to get it built and planted with your fall and winter crops!)

I attended Pay Dirt classes a few years ago (with Libbie and Katy!) and learned so much from MaryJane. It was great to hear stories of how she kept the fire-fighting tools sharp during her Park Service fire look-out days (as she demonstrated with a shovel, vise, and file).

I plan to pass along some "tool time smarts" in this upcoming class (and article), too. I look forward to sharing "farmgirl know-how" with you!

~Sunny

Farmgirl Sisterhood Member #4

You never know what each day will bring, so laugh, love, sing.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2008 :  2:51:06 PM  Show Profile
I am SOOOO looking forward to the article Sunny..how fun. And lucky you to have got to do the paydirt farmschool classes with Libbie and katy!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2008 :  05:39:35 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Thanks, Sunny! I'm looking forward to reading everything!

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2008 :  09:06:09 AM  Show Profile
Sunny,
I am so glad you will be writing an article on the greenhouse. I would love to attend the class, but I am participating in a sale with other shops on that day so I will be tied up. I can hardly wait for the article! Please remember to word it "for dummies" so even I can figure it out! LOL! Thanks for all you do!

Hugs & blessings,

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page

marmieto12
True Blue Farmgirl

213 Posts

laura
utah
USA
213 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2008 :  09:23:10 AM  Show Profile
Jenny in UT- hey we have a project when the green house plans come out! Your house, mine...anyones? We could have a blast!

Laura;Dreaming of big girl farm...

Farmgirl # 148

http://lilsfamilyfarm.blogspot.com

Chapter http://justsimplythegirls.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  **News from MaryJanesFarm: Previous Topic Summer 2008 Pay Dirt Farm School Classes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page