Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 **News from MaryJanesFarm
 Sharing & Caring gives back BIG TIME!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author **News from MaryJanesFarm: Previous Topic Sharing & Caring gives back BIG TIME!!! Next Topic  

Meg
Moderator/Farmgirl True

974 Posts

Meg
Idaho
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2008 :  08:15:18 AM  Show Profile
Woohoo! Check out page 92 in the May 2008 issue of Country Living. Moscow, Idaho’s Amy Grey was the Grand Prize Winner in their Comfort Contest that honors exemplary individuals who have made a difference in their communities. Amy’s project will get a $5,000 check!!!

Amy’s “Backyard Harvest Project” facilitates the sharing of crop surpluses by picking up and then delivering locally grown fruits and vegetables to neighborhood food banks. Amy, a freelance graphic designer, wife, and mother of two boys, said, “It all started when I mistakenly planted 200 heads of lettuce in my first garden.”

The “Backyard Harvest Project” is a project of the Palouse-Clearwater Environmental Institute, the organization that my mother, MaryJane, founded and directed for four years when I was a wee one. I remember that era in our lives very well. My brother and I filled many a coloring book during Mom’s many meetings creating what is today a thriving environmental organization that has impacted our little town in a million different positive ways. PCEI turns 22 this year!!!! Way to grow MOM and a big, big, big WAY TO GROW to Amy of Moscow!

PCEI (www.pcei.org) is a model organization for any community. Check out their website and then consider starting one in your own home town. With 13 people on staff, PCEI is home to an eight-acre Nature and Learning Center (complete with a living roof, geo-web retaining walls, and a straw bale bicycle pavilion) and is our local hub for everything “people, place, and community.” (Our own Sunny even has a COB wall there that she and her students built during one of our Pay Dirt Farm School classes last year.)

MaryJane's daughter,

Meg
megan@maryjanesfarm.org

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2008 :  08:22:50 AM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
Meg, it sounds like an awesome article. Thank you for the heads up

Mama to 2
FarmGirl# 20

Rich or Poor, It Dont matter We're all the same everybodys hungry in a different way....

http://myfarmdreams.blogspot.com/

www.justanotherhousewife.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2008 :  08:36:48 AM  Show Profile
I SAW that and I thoght "gee.. I wonder if Maryjane knows her!!! congrats and love!

"No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars,or sailed to an uncharted land or opened a new heaven to the human spirit." Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2008 :  08:36:53 AM  Show Profile
I saw the article about Amy but have been so busy with my sons who are here visiting from out of town that forgot to post about it. Congratulations! JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2008 :  10:02:16 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wonderful! PCEI really is a great organization and it has become a goal of mine to do just that Meg- help create another similar organization when Doug and I get to Montana. Thanks to the information about the article- It will be a great read!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2008 :  11:00:10 AM  Show Profile
I have that issue and loved the article they did on Amy. What a wonderful thing she is doing. I wondered if you knew her as well. Yay for Amy!!

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

Wherever you go, there you are.

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
www.madrekarin.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

chessie
True Blue Farmgirl

403 Posts

Karen
Vista CA
USA
403 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2008 :  12:02:50 PM  Show Profile
I saw that article and somehow assumed MaryJane and all the farmerettes were involved. Good to know the back story. Thanks Meg.

www.edgehillherbfarm.com "where the name is bigger than the farm, but no one seems to mind"
blog http://edgehillherbfarmer.spaces.live.com/default.aspx?wa=wsignin1.0
happy farmgirl #89
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2008 :  2:54:44 PM  Show Profile
That is wonderful news. It makes such a difference to know how many good people are out "there" making a real effort to help people. Bravo! karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2008 :  6:33:47 PM  Show Profile
meggie .. thanks for the thumbs up! i no longer subscribe to country living .. but will surely go look for this issue.

i just returned from town where i am on the Board of our Green [censored]y, Kentucky Family and Consumer Sciences Council. We were planning our Calendar of Events, Classes, Demonstrations, Seminars, etc. We 'brain-stormed' identifying community issues and programs for both 'fun' and 'formal' educational programs that will contribute to the county's social, envionmental and economic development.

There are so many areas of need in rural communities .. and providing funds and food for our county foodbank was at the top of the list and much discussed. I will get this article and share it at our next meeting.

Thanks for telling us about it. xo, frannie

how's that sweetie-pa-tootie stella jane? i can hardly wait for our newest little angel-pie due early to mid-june!

xo

True Friends * Frannie

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2008 :  6:52:46 PM  Show Profile
Woohoo Amy!!!!
I was not surprised at all to see her smiling face in the magazine this month. She is such an awesome gardener and her family is beautiful. So many incredible projects have stemmed from PCEI that it is wonderful to see one of them highlighted and financially awarded. Sunny- you can plan a cob exhibition at my house next, the city is putting a sidewalk in our front yard this summer and we will need something welcoming at the new entrance to our yard and garden!

Some seed you planted Mary Jane;)

www.bebebella.etsy.com

As a woman I have no country. As a woman, my country is the whole world.

Virginia Woolf
Go to Top of Page
  **News from MaryJanesFarm: Previous Topic Sharing & Caring gives back BIG TIME!!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page