MissWhit
True Blue Farmgirl

142 Posts

Whitney
Maine
USA
142 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  6:47:22 PM  Show Profile
Hello all! I am moving to Maine this October (about smack dab in the middle of the state) and am going to be getting chickens in the springtime. I have always wanted some Buff Orpingtons and a few Barred Plymouth Rocks, but not sure how they'll handle a cold Maine winter - any experience with especially cold-hardy breeds??????

"The ordinary arts we practice every day at home are of more importance to the soul than their simplicity might suggest." Thomas More

Farmgirl Sister #154

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2008 :  6:51:52 PM  Show Profile
Mine handle winter quite well with just a wooden hen house with an Aunt Jenny size door and a chicken size small door out to their fenced yard. No lights, just alot of pine shavings for bedding. We have plenty cold winters here in the mountains in Utah too..but when I lived in No. Minnesota I did have a light in my henhouse. They are pretty hardy if they can get in out of the wind and all. My hen house is made from an old outhouse. The kid's painted it.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com

Edited by - Aunt Jenny on Jun 18 2008 6:55:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2008 :  03:26:57 AM  Show Profile
I have had buffs too.

They have done well thus far.

So long as you keep 'em out of a draft they should be ok

Your bigger problem may be frostbite on combs.

I read where you can put petrolium jelly on combs and this wil help

As a whole, most chickens do ok but have more difficulty with hotter temps

Best wishes!

Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2008 :  07:23:07 AM  Show Profile
I have Buffs and they did just fine this winter. Granted I am in Oregon and my winter is a little milder than yours, but they played in the snow and had a blast! We did leave 1 heat lamp on in the coop at night on the really cold nights.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2008 :  07:33:25 AM  Show Profile
my dad had chickens in Massachusetts and did nothing except lay down a heavier layer of shavings for them. The hen house (which was inside the barn) had a window which allowed for sunlight to come in and warm it up during the day. We never lost a chicken!
Jenny- I love your outhouse hen house!

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

Wherever you go, there you are.

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
www.madrekarin.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2008 :  07:59:05 AM  Show Profile
I Live in Canada and we are on the ocean here. The winters are cold (-40) and the wind whips around. I have white leghorns and they did well. The combs got a wee bit frostbitten, even with the heat lamp. They enjoyed going outside during the day and are still here today....didn't loose one!

"learn to watch snails" SARK
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2008 :  08:56:47 AM  Show Profile
Hi ladies! I just had to jump in here. I know that any chicken with a smaller comb (ie-- rose, walnut, pea etc...) usually can tolerate colder weather pretty well. Those single comb chickens (like the Plymouth Rocks) usually do get frotbitten in colder weather, but, like the other ladies said Whitney, if the chickens have good, draft free shelter with warm bedding in the bottom of the hen-house, just about any chicken breed should be able to live in the colder climates. You might also look for a breed that was specifically developed in some of the colder states. Then you are guaranteed to not have any cold weather issues. Have a safe move!

Aunt Jenny~~~ Love, LOVE the cute chicken house!!! ~~~ Hugs to all ~~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

MissWhit
True Blue Farmgirl

142 Posts

Whitney
Maine
USA
142 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2008 :  3:10:21 PM  Show Profile
Thank you all SO much for all your help :) I have had a lot of fun researching and checking out different chicken coops - I can't wait to design and build one - the introduce the little chickies to their new home :)

"The ordinary arts we practice every day at home are of more importance to the soul than their simplicity might suggest." Thomas More

Farmgirl Sister #154
Go to Top of Page

Renee M. in Michigan
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Renee
Allendale MI
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2008 :  6:47:37 PM  Show Profile
We're in Western, lower Michigan and have had chickens for years. Our coop is a moveable type, made of wood with a trap door that can be closed. We don't use a light for warmth in the winter, and the hens do fine. However, more of a problem than keeping the hens warm is keeping their water thawed. My husband devised a heater to sit under their water fountain using two tin feed pans with a 40 watt lightbulb between them. That's more of the concern for us -- keeping water unfrozen. Also, we made our roosts out of 2" x 4" with the wide part (4") what the chickens sit down on rather than grip with their feet. That helps them to keep toes from getting frostbitten. We're had Americaunas and Barred Rocks. I didn't notice either being more cold hardy than the other, but I've never lost any chickens to the cold.

-- Renee M. up in the mitten

Farmgirl #211
No woman ever made history by behaving herself.
Go to Top of Page

therealshari
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Shari
Beryl UT
USA
235 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2008 :  10:04:38 AM  Show Profile  Send therealshari a Yahoo! Message
Here on our wild and crazy desert where winter night time temps can drop to -30 and the wind blows at least 10 mph and ofter more like 30 to 50 mph, we have Black Astrolorp, Buff Orpington, Plymouth Barred Rock, a Silver Wyandotte, and a couple White Rocks.

Yes, their combs get a little frost-bitten, but that hasn't kept them from their appointed job.

We do hang an infared light way high and let it run 24/7 from Oct to Apr. We also get eggs all winter long. The hens are really good about staying on the nest so they don't freeze before we get them gathered twice a day.

We don't keep heat on the water (potential fire hazard), but we do provide fresh water twice daily. They learn to drink when the water goes into the house.

Their little trap door is left open unless there is a N or NNE wind, as that blows into their house. That is our coldest wind, and they're grateful for the confinement during those times.

They will go outside on a sunny (although freezing) day even with snow on the ground.

We too, use 2x4 for their roosts and we line the nest boxes with leftovers from skirting our sheep fleeces. Just call our hens spoiled!

Shari Thomas
Got lambs? Got fleece? We do, and you can too! Check our our new "Fleece For Sale" page.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Wintertime chickens... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page