Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Chicken Coop on a budget? Next Topic  

Yogifarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

297 Posts

Jenn
Swiftwater PA
USA
297 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  07:26:26 AM  Show Profile  Send Yogifarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I recently located from PA to upstate NY Sullivan County (WooHoo I am finally in farm country) and am wanting to get some chickens (about 3 would be great)
Does anyone have any ideas or patterns for an inexpensive coop? I'm a single mom on a very limited budget and try and be creative whenever possible. Your help is appreciated.

Also...if you live near me do you know where I can get some chickens once it is built....thank you thank you

www.sundariyoga.com

"Breathe in the Sunshine"

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  11:45:26 AM  Show Profile
You and I are in exactly the same boat! I will be watching your post with interest. I have personally been scouring craigslist for a very large rabbit hutch. My thinking is that the chookies will be safer off the ground at night, and all they will need is something to roost on, however I have NEVER owned a chicken in my life, so this is just an idea gleaned from experience chicken keepers who cant understand why I only want 3. :)

Not all those who wander are lost...
www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  12:00:11 PM  Show Profile
Sarah's rabbit hutch idea is good. But, since hutches are open wire on the sides you may want to put boards over the sides to protect from the weather.

A really large dog house would work as well. With just a few hens you can be very creative - playhouse, big wooden box/packing crate, small portable shed. I think the outside space is more important than a big coop.

Like Sarah suggested - craigslist; or freecycle. Keep an eye open for farms in the area or construction sites that may have scrap lumber that you could build something with or businesses that would have stuff shipped in wooden crates. Like farm equip places. Also a note at the feed store might help too.

I didn't want to re-configure my coop to accomodate by broiler chicks so I raise them in a big watermelon box I got from Costco. Works great, and after they're butchered everything is recycled.
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  12:27:46 PM  Show Profile
I don't know if I can explain this or not, but I saw one that was a big wooden spool lying on it's side. The hub of the spool had a chicken size hole cut in it, so the chickens could go inside, and the perimeter of the spool had chicken wire around it so the chickens could use the space between the hub and the edge of the spool as a circular run. Very clever. Do you understand what I mean?

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  12:29:13 PM  Show Profile
Oh, and you have to cover the top of the hole also so the chickens don't get out!

Farmgirl Sister #98
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  1:00:04 PM  Show Profile
Found this article
http://www.ehow.com/how_2198091_chicken-coop-using-recycled-materials.html

Farmgirl Sister #98
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2008 :  1:58:27 PM  Show Profile
I built mine for under 100 dollars. Click on my blog to see pics. You will have to go back to the may posts to see it. If anyone is interested I can send you my "plans" I was able to scrap a few things from around the farm so it would probably be more like 150 if you had to Buy everything.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Chicken Coop on a budget? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page