Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2008 :  08:14:17 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
In the spirit of MaryJane's Brown Bag Challenge, I have started packing hubby's lunch for work. Otherwise he is spending about $7 a day at work and not quite feeling full.

So today when I got up I broiled a chuck roast (our baking part of the oven isn't working), microwaved some potatoes, carrots and onions, made some brown gravy on the cook top. I put the veggies in one container and the meat in another (a good pound of cooked meat!) and covered it with my gravy. I am also going to pack some peaches in there as well. So he has vegetables, meat, starch and fruit! Maybe I will pack a cheese stick for some dairy! So for a grand total of less than $2 worth of food, he is going to have a feast!

I will try to post here everyday what I send Doug to work with so maybe we can share packed lunch ideas!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com

Caron
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

Caron
Orange Texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2008 :  08:28:42 AM  Show Profile
Alle, I've been packing my hubby's lunches for a while. He said he appreciates the good food and I'm sure the savings as well! I feel good doing this for him too.

Caron

"Praise God from whom all blessings flow"

Farmgirl Sister #254
Heart of Texas Farmgirl Chapter
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2008 :  08:29:42 AM  Show Profile
Wow - Alee - what a lucky man he is! He will, in anticipation, wait each day for that lunch, I bet! Sounds yummy! And it is around lunchtime here, so my tummy is empty! After this post, I think I will go and eat..... :)

My hubby takes his lunch every day to work. He likes to pack it himself, and he takes a turkey or ham sandwich (but I bake the bread at least) chips, fruit, a breakfast bar, chocolate candy and two huge bottles of water. He drinks water all day long. Lunches can really take a chunk out of the budget, and you are doing a great thing giving hubby such a feast!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13

Edited by - jpbluesky on Jul 14 2008 08:31:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2008 :  12:44:11 PM  Show Profile
WOW you go girl! My husband loves me putting in the cheese sticks in his lunch. So I would say, yes to the cheese sticks! lol :)
Go to Top of Page

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2008 :  12:49:02 PM  Show Profile
My husband looooovvvves leftovers!!! Which consist of the meat, starch (usually), and a veggie. then also the fruit! DON'T FORGET THE FRUIT!!!!! That is his candy!

He is one easy to please man!

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas Edison
Go to Top of Page

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2008 :  12:50:21 PM  Show Profile
Now, if only I could get him to bring back the containers!!!! Any suggestions on that?....of course...short of stapling a post-it to his forehead!!! :)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." -- Thomas Edison
Go to Top of Page

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2698 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2698 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2008 :  1:01:42 PM  Show Profile
I pack my hubby's lunch every day except Friday. He always says that the guys he works with are jealous, lol. Sometimes it is leftovers, sometimes a monster sandwich. I always put in fruit, cookies (usually homemade, but not always)chips and a drink. I would love some new ideas as to what else to put in there. This is a great topic. Thanks for sharing everyone.
Take care,
Marcy

Farmgirl #170

It's never too late to be what you might have been.

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2008 :  1:16:05 PM  Show Profile
My husband loves salads, especially cucumbers (I get the english/seedless ones), and raw onion, and vinegar.

He also like soup. Pretty much any kind of soup! :)
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2008 :  2:18:21 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I would suggest writing on a napkin- or if you do cloth napkins- embroider a "please bring dishes home".

I am trying to plan what to cook for tonight's supper that will be easy to pack in the lunch tomorrow. I am thinking that perhaps we will have spaghetti. I can put noodles and sauce in separate containers to be warmed and mixed at work. We'll see.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2008 :  2:38:12 PM  Show Profile
Alee - what a cute embroidery idea for a napkin!!! I'm FOR sure going to do that with my boys when they get old enough to go to school...

XOXO, Libbie

"Farmgirl Sister #10," and proud of it!!!
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2008 :  4:25:31 PM  Show Profile
If you had meatballs with the speg, you could make him a meatball sandwich tomorrow for lunch. (packed all sep-meatballs, sauce, bread)
Go to Top of Page

Kelly Wall
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Kelly
Apison TN
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2008 :  6:28:25 PM  Show Profile
Great topic! I pack my husbands lunch 4 x's per week, however he has no way of heating it up, He has to be tired of sandwiches although he never complains, I try to pack a fresh fruit or veggie, any suggestions would be welcome!

Kelly
Farmgirl #238
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2008 :  6:33:08 PM  Show Profile
My husband is not a sandwich eater-he doesn't like bread.

However, he likes cold meatloaf!

He also can't "heat" up his food very consistently, he's on a emergency crew, and they never know where they will be. A thermos and a cooler would probably be good. A cooler can keep things hot, as well as cold.
Go to Top of Page

pink rose garden
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Jess
west olive michigan
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2008 :  6:48:30 PM  Show Profile
My hubby likes rice cakes w/pb&j and honey.Always cheese,fruit,and hard boiled eggs.oh,and carrots. I am not so sure on the rice cakes but thats what he likes:)
Go to Top of Page

elphie0503
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Samantha
Gilmer Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2008 :  9:10:47 PM  Show Profile  Send elphie0503 an AOL message
DH loves the leftovers for lunch, but his brother friend works in the same shop as he does, and God bless him, his wift CANNOT cook. So when I plan out our meals, I always plan on two extra so DH's BF can have lunch too! Some days it is tuna casserole, others it's meatloaf. DH even tells BF what's on the menu! Spoiled, spoiled men.

Samantha

www.elphie0503.blogspot.com

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort~~Albright

Go to Top of Page

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2008 :  06:26:05 AM  Show Profile
I made chili last night (for the first time in ten years!! and no one died! :). Needless to say, I've made enough to feed the Marine Corps!! So, I froze individual containers of it. So, he can have chili once a week for the next 5 months if he wants.

Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2008 :  06:55:39 AM  Show Profile
Kelly-How about making a wrap. Just put whatever you can imagine on a tortilla and roll it up. My Hubby loves these. Some suggestions- creamchesse and veggies, beans and cheese, or creamcheese and lunchmeat.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

AuntPammy
True Blue Farmgirl

488 Posts

Pamila
williamstown wv
USA
488 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2008 :  07:25:48 AM  Show Profile  Click to see AuntPammy's MSN Messenger address
Yes It's true, we really do have spoiled husbands. Hee Hee. I have packed my husbands lunch for twenty-one years and he has started to ask for extra so he can share with his buddies. He works in a factory where the temp is often well above 100degrees so I try to pack something like melon and fruit kebobs or a crunchy salad to cool him off for the rest of the meal which is always leftovers from dinner the following evening. Luckily he can reheat his meal so I don't have to worry about cold meals everyday. My son however, doesn't have that luxury at school. So we invested in a really good thermos that he can take hot things in. If I fill the thermos with boiling water and sit it out for about fifteen minutes before filling with whatever he wants that is on the "menu" , it stays really hot for hours. Just be careful when you remove the hot water as it will scald you.

Let's dance in the rain and play in the puddles under the rainbows.
Go to Top of Page

simplyflowers
True Blue Farmgirl

489 Posts

Jamie
Locust Grove Virginia
USA
489 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2008 :  07:37:09 AM  Show Profile
The thermos ideas are great!!!!!! I'm going to get one for the hubby! He will love that. Thanks!!

Go to Top of Page

Kelly Wall
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Kelly
Apison TN
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2008 :  08:56:31 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the ideas, wraps do sound good. I should also fix a green salad somedays. Thanks for the inspiration!

Kelly
Farmgirl #238
Go to Top of Page

fionalovesshrek
True Blue Farmgirl

186 Posts

Paige
kinston North Carolina
USA
186 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2008 :  10:03:09 AM  Show Profile
My hubby likes chopped veggies all mixed in a bag. He loves Bell Peppers the best so I'm always on the look out for a good price on those. I also send him with a thick slice of my bread and a little tub of peanut butter. Cookies or a sweet bread (banana or zucchini), a water and a soda. Some days he just wants a can of salmon and homemade tortilla's or crackers. One those days I know to have a big dinner ready because he'll be HUNGRY when he gets home. I love the idea of embroidering something on a napkin, I'll have to think of something clever. I'm working on making him a lunch sack out of old plastic grocery bags. The process is called "fused plastics" and so far so good. Well back to work!
P~

living a good neighbor life
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2008 :  10:07:44 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
We ate everything I fixed for dinner last night, so I sent him to work with some cheese sticks and some canned peaches. He will buy a sandwich at the cantina to fill out his lunch. Today I decided to be more proactive and pulled out enough chicken breasts for dinner and leftovers for lunch tomorrow. I also pulled out ground beef that I am going to cook up and make into burritos to freeze. Then on days when we don't have left overs for him to take to work, I can pack 2 burritos. We always try to have canned fruits and frozen veggies on hand so that is easy to pack.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2864 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2864 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2008 :  11:30:58 AM  Show Profile
Hey Alee
Try this for getting those dishes back. Write him a little note promising him a little "sumpin special" If he brings them home! I bet they will be cleaned & everything!
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2008 :  11:54:00 AM  Show Profile
Paige - will you share your "fused plastic" lunch sack technique with us?

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

fionalovesshrek
True Blue Farmgirl

186 Posts

Paige
kinston North Carolina
USA
186 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2008 :  8:54:07 PM  Show Profile
Sure will Sherri, it's super easy. I saved my grocery bags and layered three bags neatly on top of each other, cut off the straps so I'd have a rectangle shape. I sandwhiched that between two pieces of butcher paper (any large enough paper will do I think) and Ironed it on the setting for cotton. The layers melt together and it turned it into a tyvek feeling material. Two pieces sewn together and turned right side out, then added a snap to the top. It's got quite a lot of room. I'll post a picture to my blog late tomorrow so you can see...
Paige

www.fionaswampington.blogspot.com

living a good neighbor life
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2008 :  9:03:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Dinner was a hit so he gets to take a chicken breast to work tomorrow with rice, chicken gravy, green beens (Frozen and organic!). I need my oven to work so I can bake some cookies!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Packed Lunches For Husband. Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page