Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Can someone explain Dry Pack Canning?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Can someone explain Dry Pack Canning? Next Topic  

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2008 :  6:32:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
There must be a way to seal/can dry substances like dried beans and such to keep them fresh/bug free. How do you do this?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2008 :  6:39:05 PM  Show Profile
Alee, on my vacume sealer there is an attachment to suck out the air in a standard canning jar. You use the same flat seal and the suck the air out then put the ring on. And when you want to use some open and then reseal the jar.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2008 :  6:42:14 PM  Show Profile
Okay...I know all about this one...A machine is used that attaches (by rolling the edges of the can (#10 cans which hold about a gallon) around the edges of the lid.. The LDS church has them in alot of towns..we have one here in our little town even and I love to volunteer there. There is a list of dry things you can can up...and you fill your own cans and put in those little packs that keep things dry inside (the made for food ones) and then the guy seals them up...easy peasy...The machine is the thing. Some of the canneries will pack whatever you bring in..some won't..you must buy what they have there. It is always MUCH cheaper than buying dry things elsewhere though..I haven't found better prices. Those cans are such a good ammount to open at a time too!! They give you plastic lids to seal them up when they are open too. I like to have all my flour, sugar, rice, oats and beans sealed up this way..easy to organize. They sell alot of other things there too. I usually keep some hot cocoa mix for husband and some dry apple chips for the kids..nice to have on hand. I wish they sold cornmeal!! I hope that helps. Some places will rent or loan out the machines too..or will can up things for you..just ask! You could call the bishop of any LDS church and I know they would be glad to help you. He won't be the one in charge but will know who the dry pack person is for the area and where it is anyhow. Where I lived in Calif it was about 10 miles away..but still worth it!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9269 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9269 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2008 :  7:33:22 PM  Show Profile
Alee,
I have just put oxygen absorbers in my jars and put the lids on and then the rings. They have a tendency to seal that way but only for dry goods. Because the oxygen absorbers take all the air out.

Denise
farmgirl sister #43

"Take a lesson from the teakettle, though up to its
neck in hot water...it sings!"

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2008 :  8:14:45 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Ladies! I will call the local LDS church. I hope they have one here and I will look into an attachment for my Food Saver.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2008 :  9:16:09 PM  Show Profile
Denise, what is an "oxygen absorber"? I'm unfamiliar with that term. I'm like Diana and use my food saver. If it's for beans or peas, I just put it in a food saver bag and suck the air out. I've tried the canning jar method but general don't have a big need for it at this point. I've also been known to put the unopen bag of flour in a food saver bag and seal it. Just make sure there are no holes in the bag!

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!

Edited by - acairnsmom on Aug 20 2008 9:16:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2008 :  9:22:56 PM  Show Profile
You can't beat the LDS cannery! The San Diego one even has a machine a (church member) can check out and do canning at home for stuff that they don't sell.We've done this to can our special order organics. They are also a great resource for how long items can be stored.
Sharon

Farmgirl Sister #74

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2008 :  11:41:13 PM  Show Profile
Gosh..I wish the one here would check out machines...I really want to do cornmeal. They used to let us bring in anything. I did some anazazi beans one time..and still have a few cans. Oxygen absorbers...that is what I couldn't think of the name of!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

SusieQue
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Susie
Greenville Ga
Georgia
603 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2008 :  04:47:31 AM  Show Profile
That was a very good question Alee as I had no idea either. I am glad to know this info.

"A mother is someone you never outgrow your need for"
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2008 :  05:24:34 AM  Show Profile
Our cannery in Tucker also lends out the can sealer or the mylar bag sealer (I prefer the cans) to members of the church, or you can call them and set up an appointment to go.
If I have only a small amount of product to can, I will put it in canning jars and add an oxygen pack. They are small packages of a substance that absorbs moisture and air and creates an environment that bugs cannot live in. There are many emergency preparedness sites on the Internet where you can find them, or you can order them here:
http://www.ldscatalog.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10151&storeId=10151&categoryId=10002&langId=-1&cg1=14087&cg2=&cg3=&cg4=&cg5
Or you can find a friend who is LDS and go to the cannery together. :) The one here is very busy lately. I am sure it is because of the high prices and even the lack of food at the grocery stores.
Canned food stuffs will last a long time when stored properly. Here is a link for the things that are available at the canneries:
http://providentliving.org/content/display/0,11666,7798-1-4224-1,00.html
I would love to get a Food Saver for things that need to be frozen or refrigerated. That's my next goal. :)

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

www.perfectlittlemiracle.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9269 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9269 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2008 :  08:39:58 AM  Show Profile
The oxygen absorbers are small packets that you place in the jars. I also use them in the buckets of wheat berries that I have. Keeps them dry and bug free, for years might I add.
Because plastic is a bit breatheable you can't use them in bags but say like tupperware or food grade buckets they will work in. They do make the tupperware seal a bit so the lids make that suction sound when you remove them. You can get them in like groups of 50 or 100 at a time. They last a long time. I got mine from a food co-op.

Denise
farmgirl sister #43

"Take a lesson from the teakettle, though up to its
neck in hot water...it sings!"

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2008 :  11:25:42 AM  Show Profile
Thanks ladies. I had no idea that's what those things were called or that you could buy them. Good to know.

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2008 :  07:05:49 AM  Show Profile
The LDS cannery would probably sell you just the oxygen absorbers. I know when you can there, the cost of them is figured in. Just be sure to store any left-overs in an air-tight bag or they will, yep, absorb oxygen!!
Sharon

Farmgirl Sister #74

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Can someone explain Dry Pack Canning? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page