SusieQue
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Susie
Greenville Ga
Georgia
603 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  5:36:53 PM  Show Profile
When I think of fall and & winter approaching - I think of good homemade soup. What is your favorite? I love beef vegetable soup with carrots, potatoes, onions...any left over veggies. Hot bowl of soup and cornbread...how good is that!

Shelba
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Shelba
Victor California
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  5:42:37 PM  Show Profile
Our favorite, any time, is potato cheese. I always have everything I need to turn out some form of this soup. 4 cups sliced potatoes, 2 cups water or broth, 1/2 cup chopped onion, 1 clove minced garlic. You boil until the potatoes are tender, mash with a potato masher, then melt a cup of grated cheddar cheese in the potatoes and 1/4 cup butter. You then thin it with milk to the desired consistency. It usually does not need salt because of the cheese. If you want broccoli cheese, put chopped broccoli in for 3 minutes when the potatoes are almost soft. For baked potato, add 1/2 cup sour cream and a few pieces of bacon instead of the butter.

I love beef soup like you described with barley in it, too!

Take care, Shelba
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  6:43:49 PM  Show Profile
My favorite soup is vegetable soup. I put corn, peas, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, potatoes, stew meat, lima beans, string beans, okra, and black-eye peas. I cook all of that for about ten hours.
I would love to beable to make a potatoe soup. I try, and try, but it just never comes out!
Marly
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  8:38:39 PM  Show Profile
Fish chowder! I must say, it is a big favorite at my house, and everyone I've ever made it for loves it...

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Txfarmgal
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

AK

USA
585 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  9:09:09 PM  Show Profile
Chicken Noodle, and I make the best!

AngiKay-farmgirl sister #301
www.angikay.etsy.com
Be strong and Courageous. Jos. 1:9

Texas 4H! http://texas4-h.tamu.edu/
Go to Top of Page

DianaMT
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Diana
Billings Montana
USA
46 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2008 :  11:00:35 PM  Show Profile
Vegies and Beef soup for me. Make some Bisquick drop biscuits with melted butter and YUM! I made the mistake of adding cabbage one time and canning a case of soup. With the opening of each can, the cabbage was getting stronger and stronger! :-P

Diana MT
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2008 :  07:44:55 AM  Show Profile
It's veggie soup for me. But I don't wait till fall. I make it all the time. BIG pot. Then I can 7 pints (pretty heavy on the veggies) then I thin it out with a little tomato juice. Makes 2 nice servings. We call it stone soup. Back 40/50 years ago, Captin Kangroo had a story on his kid show about a village that didn't have enough to eat. So the guy put a stone in the pot and each villager brought one veggie and they made a big pot of soup. In MY stone soup. I put potatoes, carrots, onions, celery, cabbage, greenbeans, corn, peas, tomatoes, tomato juice and a handful of barley. I start with a soup bone for my broth. I do not put in meat if I am going to can it. When the kids were little, I actually put in a stone.

We have a ton of onions so French onion is on the menue this weekend. I'll make the bread for the toast but I don't put it "in" the soup bowl. I can't stand wet bread, but love the soup and toast.

Have several soup recipes. What ever I am hungry for becomes my favorite.
Go to Top of Page

City_Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Christina
Omaha Nebraska
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2008 :  07:54:25 AM  Show Profile
Loaded Potato Soup is my favorite. It is very similar to Shelba's but it also has crumbled bacon, homemade crutons and fresh chives put on the top right before serving. I have also done a creamy avocado soup in the summer but I am the only one in the house that likes avocados.

Christina
Farmgirl Sister #195
http://justacitychick.blogspot.com/

Although no one can go back and make a brand new start; anyone can start from now
and make a brand new end.
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2008 :  08:44:17 AM  Show Profile
I love chicken and dumplings! Yum! Also, a new favorite of mine is tortilla soup. I never liked it much before, but then Jonni (KYgurlsrbest) posted this recipe http://www.maryjanesfarm.com/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20486&SearchTerms=tortilla,soup, and now I love it!

The Biz www.tvalahandmade.com
The Blog: http://blog.tvalahandmade.com/
The Bits www.happydalehobby.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Clemys Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Linda
MA
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2008 :  09:47:08 AM  Show Profile
Penn Dutch potpie (chicken and dumplings) or chicken tortilla soup are favorites.

Took a long time to convert DH to being a dumpling / noodle fan.

Working on the cabbage issue being in soup with preparing Bierocks or Runzas --- a treat from Nebraska (little bundles of beef, onion and cabbage in dough packets -- baked and served with spicy mustard). So far, so good with the cabbage issue.

The first time I made homemade chicken and noodles, DH, who only knew rice, elbow macroni, and on rare occasions potatoes, put the contents of the soup in the trash. He thought it had gone bad as the noodles were "puffed up" like they are supposed to be.

On the second try, DH jabbed a fork into a dumpling as if it were a potato, to send it skittering across the table. Took a whole year to try to convince him to try again.

We struck a deal --- he would try my Penn Dutch / Southern cooking a bit more and I would make his favorite dishes, too.

Reminds of me of Aunt Caroline, who only knew the food chain process from going to the local grocer. When she saw us putting cukes in jars for the pickling process, she was amazed to find out cucumbers and pickles had a connection. She never ate another pickle after that as she said she did not like cucumbers. Have mercy.....

Aunt Clemys Farm Girl
Farm Girl #300

Kansas to Massachusetts

Edited by - Aunt Clemys Farm Girl on Aug 14 2008 09:49:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2008 :  11:06:36 AM  Show Profile
Potato/white bean soup and New England clam chowder. I just love creamy soups, I guess.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2008 :  2:04:44 PM  Show Profile
They all sound good, but it is too hot today to even consider making soup....

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2008 :  10:55:37 AM  Show Profile
Gazpacho with all the tomatoes and veg in the garden ice cold with a glass of tea. Fresh tortilla chips. Or a good slice of bread.

yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2008 :  5:18:56 PM  Show Profile
Starting in late September we go back to eating soup every Tuesday. I Love soup so much I'm not exactly what my favorite is- if I have to chose it would probably be Cream of broccoli or maybe red lentil. There are just so many great soups out there!

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2145 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2145 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2008 :  9:06:42 PM  Show Profile
Minestrone is my favorite but glorified potato, split pea or lentil, and red beans and rice are close behind.

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  07:47:04 AM  Show Profile
My husband loves stuffed peppers, so I found a recipe for stuffed pepper soup and tried it, not really thinking it would be as good as it was. Now it is one of our favorites and I have it on my list of things to make and freeze before the next baby comes. I also really like white chili, bean soups, lentil stew, and vegetable beef. Oh, and potato soup! Until I started this post I guess I never realized how much I really do like soups!
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  08:16:15 AM  Show Profile
My favorite soup is the Hamburger Soup my mom makes. Mmmmmm. It is yummy. All you do is brown hamburger, (I like to brown mine until it gets little caramel-y bits. More flavor.), some celery and an onion. Add water (enough to cover meat and veg.) and a beef buillion cube, cut up potatoes and carrots and simmer until the vegetables are tender. My mother always made corn bread to go with this for dinner. It's better the next day, actually. If you are in a super hurry, you can use VegAll large cut vegetables, liquid and all. Omit the onions. :)

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

www.perfectlittlemiracle.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  3:33:01 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone have a good recipe for a lemon chicken soup. it is a creamy base. I had it once and it was so good but have not been able to find a recipe. If anyone has one i would love to have it. thanks Beverley

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

bbteacher
True Blue Farmgirl

134 Posts

Bonnie
BALTIMORE Maryland
USA
134 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2008 :  7:47:59 PM  Show Profile
My favorite soup is chicken matza ball-loaded with home grown carrots and onion and I do make a mean batch if I say so myself!

Bonnie
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  03:21:49 AM  Show Profile
homemade potato leek, chili if you care to call that soup-like and ministrone

I have a fabulous recipe for ministrone that calls for roasting a whole head of garlic first its so good!
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  07:17:27 AM  Show Profile
As southerners, we like red beans and rice, which is sorta like soup. But I have a 15 bean soup recipe that is all too easy to make. One bag of 15 beans, one can Ro-tel, one onion chopped, a package of sausage sliced (we use our own, but what you get in the grocery works great, too!)garlic, salt and pepper to taste. Mix it all together, add water and either cook in the crockpot all day or on the stove. It's great with cornbread!

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page

lacisne88
True Blue Farmgirl

1181 Posts

Chelsey
Lake Stevens Washington
USA
1181 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  10:32:16 AM  Show Profile
We just had the BEST chowder I have EVER had the other night for dinner. My dad made it in his enamel cast iron pot. It had clams, scallops, halibut, and shrimp, along with spicy sausage, cream of potato soup, heavy whipping cream, hal and half, old bay seasoning...It was soooo good!!! I've been eating leftovers and it's still good! Yum!

But I love soups in general, as long as they are hearty and full of yummyness!

I love soups with veggies, and potatoes in it...I love stews or really thick soups!

Chelsey
Farmgirl Sister #283

http://farmgirlpleasures.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

lovelady
True Blue Farmgirl

533 Posts

Toni
Indiana
USA
533 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  11:14:18 AM  Show Profile
Chelsey, that sounds wonderful and I don't really even like seafood! I went to the Oregon coast a few years ago to visit a friend and while I was there the husband of the family she was staying with made oysters on the grill with a spicy-garlicky sauce and they were great. Maybe seafood just isn't that great once it gets to the Midwest...

Really, no one has posted a soup yet that didn't sound great. Maybe we should start adding recipes!
Go to Top of Page

SusieQue
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Susie
Greenville Ga
Georgia
603 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2008 :  6:36:22 PM  Show Profile
Bonnie, your chicken matza ball soup sounds wonderful. How do you make the chicken matza balls?

"A mother is someone you never outgrow your need for"
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2008 :  6:42:18 PM  Show Profile
I have several...I'm a soup nut when the weather turns colder. Of course, I eat it now for lunch out, often, but I don't make it at home until the weather turns...

My favorite (in descending order)

Curried pumpkin soup
Sundays at Moosewood's Fall River Vegetable Stew (meatless)
Chicken corn noodle soup
Soup au pistou (with a rind of parmesan...mmmm)

I'm not really a fan of meat in my soup with the exception of chicken.

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page

MBurns
True Blue Farmgirl

1757 Posts

Marlene
Swisher IA
USA
1757 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2008 :  07:41:09 AM  Show Profile
Is there a recipe for the pepper soup? would love to have it.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Favorite Soup Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page