FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2008 :  1:46:28 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone dealth with K12? We had a new K12 school open near us and thought we would give it a try. Our son, Lliam, has Aspergers and although he is very smart, cannot handle a GE class. His school put him Special Ed last year where they taught him at the same level as a migrant child who could not read. Lliam is in the 3rd grade, but reads at the 7th grade level. He got so bored he was constantly getting into trouble and the suspended.
I couldn't get any help from the school of course so I pulled him out and we went elsewhere.
K12 seems like a good concept if they can get all the bugs worked out. He has to attend a brick and morter school 2 days per week (Indiana State Law) and the other 3 days he learns at home with K12 provided books and computer.

If anyone has a tips on how to make it go more smoothly, they would be appreciated.

Just so you know what a day is like for Lliam, they had ISTEP testing this week. He got so stressed out, he curled up in the fetal position on the floor and wouldn't do the tests. The teacher was finally able to convince him it was ok and he finished the rest of the day in another room. Whew! thought I was going to have to pick him up early again.

Thanks,
Lora

If it ain't red, leave it in the shed.

Please visit my new blog and post your opinions about different subjects. www.farmallchick.blogspot.com

ranchmama
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Elise
Rosebud MT
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2008 :  06:11:47 AM  Show Profile
I don't know what K12 is. Is it a homeschooling program?

Every Child Deserves Our Love &
A Bear of Their Own
http://ATeddyForKeeps.org

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ranchmama/
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2008 :  09:46:47 AM  Show Profile
Get yourself a good advocate and go back to your public school and get him the support services he needs. I am SO sorry that he has been struggling so much. It has to be so tiring on all of you! No child should be forced from their public school system because of a lack of support/understanding.

Here is a list of support systems you may find more agreeable/helpful for your family. http://www.iidc.indiana.edu/irca/fservices.html
You might want to check your Center for Independent Living. They may be able to get an advocate to go with you to your child's meetings to discuss appropriate placements. In MI, when parents feel a need for additional support, they can find an advocate through the local ARC. Our CIL does different kind of programming & support for families/adults.

Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic K12.com Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page