K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2009 :  4:28:39 PM  Show Profile
I have several but yesterday I bought yet another one..I love Italian food..( it shows, I just caught a glimpse in the mirror of my backside..ouch.). Well it wont go away today, and Giada de Laurentiis has agreat muffin recipe I have to make for dinner.."Garlic and sun drie tomato corn muffins.. Im serving it with a nice healthy Bean & ham soup. yummy!

http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/
Cheryl #309
Farm girl sister

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude." Maya Angelou

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2009 :  4:35:49 PM  Show Profile
Fannie Farmer, hands down. I must have six copies, all from different years, from when it was called The Boston Cooking School Cookbook to the newer Fannie Farmer Cookbook. It has all of the classic New England recipes I grew up with and tend to crave, at this time of year especially. I rarely buy a new cookbook now. If I need a recipe, I hit the Internet. Oh, that's a terrible thing to admit. ;)

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

www.perfectlittlemiracle.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2009 :  4:37:24 PM  Show Profile
My favorite is my Mom's fairly old Betty Crocker Cookbook. She has had it for as long as I can remember and though it definitly looks like old..lol I love using it. My next fav is my Betty Crocker cookbook that Mom gave me when I got married. The big one with the black stove burner design burned into it when I was trying to cook for some of DH's friends just after I got married. Thats what I get for putting on airs...hehe
hugs

Jessie
Farmgirl Sister #235

Hope begins in the dark, the stubborn hope that if you just show up and try to do the right thing, the dawn will come. You wait and watch and work You don't give up.

Stop by my blog for a visit www.messiejessie2.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

chessie
True Blue Farmgirl

403 Posts

Karen
Vista CA
USA
403 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2009 :  5:10:35 PM  Show Profile
Ok, for me this is a loaded question. I own hundreds (possibly thousands of cookbooks, I read them like novels, I adore cookbooks) I cannot pick just one favorite out of this vast hoard. So, if I may, I will give you my favorites in categories...
~My favorite canning, perserving book is "Herbal Pantry" by Emelie Tolley, followed closely in second place by "Fancy Pantry" and "Better than Store bought" both by Helen Witty. Oh, and I can't forget "Lost Arts" by lynn Alley
~My favorite baking book is The "Fannie Farmer Baking book" by Marion Cunningham and Victoria's "Sweet Baking"
~My favorite vegetable cookbook is "Farmhouse Cookbook" by Susan Herrmann Loomis (this book is in contention for my all time favorite cookbook ever! I can't tell you how much I love this book)
~My favorite vintage book is "Good meals and how to prepare them" by Good housekeeping institute circa 1927
~My favorite soup book is "Soup: A way of life" by Barbara Kafka - Barbara Kafka's other books are wonderful too! "Roasting" especially.
~My favorite Irish cookbook, besides my cooking school manual "The Ballymaloe Cookery School Course" by Darina Allen, is The Avoca cafe Cookbook (volume 2, too).
I really love the MaryJanesFarm magazine "Kitchen issue" and have made many of the recipes from it. SOme are so good I make them all the time.
~My favorite foodie book is Ruth Riechel's "Garlic and sapphires" but her "tender at the bone" is just as good. Her "Comfort me with apples" is good, really good, but nothing is as good as the other two, unfortunately, and it suffers by comparison.
~My favorite all around cookbook is "The way to cook" by Julia Child. It is even signed by her to me, a gift 20 years ago from my parents. The Fannie Farmer cookbook" by Marion Cunningham comes in second. Actually anything by Marion Cunningham is a treasure to me, especially her "Lost Recipes" book, which is wonderful.
Well, that's all for now, I'm sure I'll remember some book I really love but forgot to list here and can add it later.
Happy New Year, Karen

www.edgehillherbfarm.com "where the name is bigger than the farm, but no one seems to mind"
blog http://edgehillherbfarmer.spaces.live.com/default.aspx?wa=wsignin1.0
happy farmgirl #89
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2009 :  6:25:13 PM  Show Profile
I would have a hard time coming up with just one favorite too...but I do tend to hit a few of my favorites most often...
The wooden spoon bread book
Cooking from Quilt Country by Marcia Adams
The Foxfire book of Appalachian cooking
The Fried Green tomatoes cookbook (thanks Nancy!!!)

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

FreckledNiki
True Blue Farmgirl

69 Posts

Niki
Baldwinsville NY
USA
69 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2009 :  6:34:13 PM  Show Profile
This is a great question:

I would have to say my mom's old orange Betty Crocker cookbook she gave me when i first got married. all of the pages are stained and more have fallen out than are still in it. Both covers are ripped off of it, but it is not even the recipes that are on the pages that matter. The handwritten recipes on the backs of old envelopes written in my moms handwriting, or even more special since I lost my grandmother in 2002, the zucchini bread recipe written so long ago on a small piece of paper in my grandmothers small cursive handwriting. The same handwriting that she would send me letters and cards and sign XOXOXO on the bottom.

I also love all of my Paula Dean Cookbooks that my girls get for me each and every birthday and Christmas because I always crack them open right away and cook with them.

FreckledNiki
Go to Top of Page

ThePixiesPlayhouse
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Terri
Biggs CA
127 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2009 :  6:40:27 PM  Show Profile
My 2 faves right now (the ones I have reached for the most in the past few months) are 365 Easy One Dish Meals & Nourishing Traditions (this one is my all time fave...more of a way of life).

My fave bread book is the Tassajara Bread Book
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2009 :  7:36:33 PM  Show Profile
#1 - Whole Foods for the Whole Family
#2- Fanny Farmer

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many, MRET & Wellness Coach

http://herbalmommasda.blogspot.com/

Farmgirl Sister #97
Go to Top of Page

lacisne88
True Blue Farmgirl

1181 Posts

Chelsey
Lake Stevens Washington
USA
1181 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2009 :  10:18:47 PM  Show Profile
My absolute favorite cookbook is... The Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book. I use it for everything and have it in a few different years. It's such a great book!

Chelsey
Farmgirl Sister #283

http://farmgirlpleasures.blogspot.com/

http://aminiatureworld.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

nashbabe
True Blue Farmgirl

687 Posts

687 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  05:37:42 AM  Show Profile
The ones I use most are:

one from my home church growing up;
"Too Many Tomatoes--a cookbook for when your garden explodes";
a couple Moosewood cookbooks;
Better Homes and Gardens as a reference book;
The Joy of Cooking;
lots of recipes cut out from newspapers and magazines;
the MJF baking recipes magazine;
and lately I've been using the "More with less" cookbook.

Crunchy crafty goodness and psychoses...;-)http://nashbabe.blogspot.com

groovy stuff 2 buy...http://www.alittlesplurge.etsy.com

Edited by - nashbabe on Jan 02 2009 05:38:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

4forMe
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

Dawn
Easton MD
166 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  06:07:24 AM  Show Profile
I LOVE cookbooks. Seriously, I check out stacks of cookbooks (my library has tons) and I bring them home and sit in bed at night reading cookbooks. I always have cookbooks on my wishlist at Amazon and whenever DH and I go shopping in a bookstore, I am always trying to sneak a cookbook or two in our purchase stack. But, you know the funny thing.....I don't like to cook very often. When I do it is the same old stand bys that are quick and easy, spaghetti with meat sauce, chicken with herbs, pot roast, etc. DH doesn't understand my desire to read cookbooks when I don't actually use them. I told him that I think I am looking for a "magic recipe" where the food cooks itself, cleans up after itself and it is something that the kids will actually eat.

I cannot stand spending hours over the stove and serving dinner to the tune of "what is that" and "I don't want to eat that", "I'll fix myself a bowl of cereal". It seems silly for me to go to all of that trouble for only DH and I to eat it. He appreciates my efforts but the kids won't and then I have to feed them something else. UGH!!!

My favorite cookbooks are Whole Foods for the Whole Family and the Laurel Kitchen cookbook.

Sewing, knitting, gardening mom of 4.
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  07:32:55 AM  Show Profile
I have a large collection of cookbooks but when I need a good recipe I always fall back to my vintage 1956 Betty Crocker Cookbook. I have had it forever. My Mother gave me an updated version in the late 70s but all the old fashioned recipes were gone. So back to the old. MB

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

chessie
True Blue Farmgirl

403 Posts

Karen
Vista CA
USA
403 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  07:34:43 AM  Show Profile
Dawn - Remember -You do not have to feed them something else.

www.edgehillherbfarm.com "where the name is bigger than the farm, but no one seems to mind"
happy farmgirl #89
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  07:40:13 AM  Show Profile
When we travel, I always buy a cookbook from the region. Then I read it from cover to cover like a novel. There is always one or two recipes that become my favorite. But what I cook from mostly are cooking magazines. Everyday Food (Martha S) Rachel Ray and Taste of home and Penzey One. When a new issue comes, I put a sticky page tab on the recipes that I want to try. Most of the time I get them all cooked before the next issue comes. If it is a real keeper, I make a recipe card and put it in my "use it every day recipe book". The book is a photo album with plastic sleeves that are just the right size for a recipe card. I have three of them, Full!
Go to Top of Page

4forMe
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

Dawn
Easton MD
166 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  10:55:42 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by chessie

Dawn - Remember -You do not have to feed them something else.

Karen, I know, but guilt gets the better of me.....

Sewing, knitting, gardening mom of 4.
Go to Top of Page

vermont v
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

Victoria
Chester Vermont
USA
194 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  11:14:00 AM  Show Profile

I am a cookbook aholic especially when our local Flea market often has them for one to two dollars a piece for good Vintage cookbooks. One of my most useful finds has been Farm Journals Country Cookbook Circa 1972. It has great basic recipes when it was'nt politically incorrect to cook with butter cream and bacon.I liked it so much when I saw another I picked up for a friend who is also a full fat cook!
Go to Top of Page

chessie
True Blue Farmgirl

403 Posts

Karen
Vista CA
USA
403 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  11:46:00 AM  Show Profile
Dawn-
Aha. Guilt. I know it well. If, as my friend told me, "Worry is a prayer for something you do not want" - very profound that - then maybe "guilt is a motivation for doing something you do not intend". I don't know, maybe...
Keep up the good work, your kids & hubby are blessed to have you cooking for them, even if it is your "same old standbys (which sound delish to me!)
Cheers, Karen

happy farmgirl #89
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  1:18:06 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I love Giada and I love the Barefoot Contessa.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!
Go to Top of Page

vermont v
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

Victoria
Chester Vermont
USA
194 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  3:32:02 PM  Show Profile

Paula Deen and Ina Garten are my girls; as for Giada they say never trust a skinny cook!
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  4:29:29 PM  Show Profile
Oh....I love cookbooks and have lots of them, but the ones I reach for most often are my Betty Crocker Cookbook that I got as a wedding gift(1972), the pages are falling out and stuck together but it's the best. I have two of the free cookbooks that Costco puts out each year. Those are quite nice. I do quite a bit of cooking from my Everyday Foods magazines. Those little things are the greatest and I haven't made anything yet that wasn't perfect. I also have a local Grange cookbook from the 1930's that's interesting.

"Nature always has the last laugh." Mrs. Greenthumbs

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  8:10:24 PM  Show Profile
My favorite cookbooks for cooking basic comfort foods tend to be community/church cookbooks. One in particular called "cooking along the Ladies Line" that is recipes from people who lived along a particular railroad line in North Dakota - my grandpa worked on that railroad and my grandma's family is from North Dakota - anyway, lots of basic home cooking.
I love reading cookbooks - I have lots of vintage ones, the Farm Journal Pies and Canning cookbooks, a Parish cookbook from Missoula in the 30's - you can tell who had electricity and who didn't from the baking instructions. Also cookbooks featuring cuisine from other countries and cultures.
I am hoping to start enjoying trying new recipes again - when my 3 stepkids moved in with us unexpectedly 3 years ago cooking became a chore and even though we are back to a family of three I haven't got the spark back yet.
Karen/Chessie - I was excited to see the Farmhouse Cookbook by Susan Loomis on your list. I just read her book "On Rue Tatin" which is about the house she and her husband bought and restored in France, has some recipes in it too. I really enjoyed her approach so was thinking about checking out some of her other books, now that one is recommended I definitely will.
Cheers,
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  8:58:31 PM  Show Profile
My very favorite book is "Bread Winners" by Mel London. It has over 200 bread recipes from bread bakers all over the country and stories of the bakers themselves. I bought it years ago through the Organic Gardening book club. I've never made anything yet from it that hasn't been wonderful. Dilly casserole bread, cheese bread, herb bread, pumpkin cider bread...yummmmm!
Go to Top of Page

Lucys daughter Tina
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Tina
aliquippa pa
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2009 :  10:50:25 AM  Show Profile
I love the Gooseberry Patch cookbooks. I have a Fannie Farmer cookbook, it was my moms. Given to her as a wedding present.
Go to Top of Page

keeperofthehome
True Blue Farmgirl

154 Posts

Suzanne
Atlanta Georgia
USA
154 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2009 :  1:40:52 PM  Show Profile
I love cookbooks as well. I like the Gooseberry Patch ones, Southern Living ones, Nourishing Traditions, my Mom's Better Homes and Gardens, and I adore the small church and Amish spiral bound ones.

Blessings!
~Farrah

http://oldfashionedhomekeeper.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

KellyA
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

Kelly
Johnsonville NY
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2009 :  2:26:58 PM  Show Profile  Send KellyA an AOL message
Ahhhh...cookbooks! They are my most favorite books in the whole world...as my kitchen (and computer room) bookcases will attest to! I love all the cookbooks Christopher Kimball has published, with an emphasis on "The Yellow Farmhouse" cookbook...great bedtime reading! I have a soft spot for Rachael Ray (she is also from upstate New York), so I tend to buy hers. I went to the Culinary Institute in Hyde Park for a class, so I have a few of theirs...love them!!! Then there are the Joy of Cooking, Betty Crocker, and Better Homes and Gardens, which are my standards. That doesn't even touch my collection, but they are my favorites!

Kelly
When a cookbook is in hand, life is good!
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2009 :  3:03:42 PM  Show Profile
Kelly - I didn't know Christopher Kimball had cookbooks out - are they under his own name or the Test Kitchen? I love Cook's Country Magazine
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Do you have a favorite Cookbook? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page