Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Wanted:yummy, EASY, and healthy meals
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Wanted:yummy, EASY, and healthy meals Next Topic  

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  5:57:10 PM  Show Profile
SO. . .along with trying to be FRUGAL--I'm always on the lookout for delicious meals that the whole family will love (kiddos are 8, 6, and 4--though they are quite liberal in their food tastes). If anyone has any wonderful ideas, I'd be open to them! I kind of get stuck in a rut. Right now, one of our favorites that fits these parameters (cheap, easy, kind of healthy, and yummmmmmmm) is Jambalaya in the crockpot: two to 4 cans of canned diced tomatoes, chopped celery, chopped onion, a little garlic, a little thyme, about a tsp of hot sauce, one sliced kielbasa or other sausage, cook all day in crock pot then right before dinnertime, add already cooked rice and thawed cooked shrimp. Yummmmmm.

Please share with me other easy, quick prep, healthy meals you'd like to tell me about! Thanks so much!!

Edited by - SheilaC on Jan 03 2009 07:09:59 AM

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  6:03:18 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I make Pizagna...think of a lasagna but layered like your favorite pizza!!!

Start with the bottom "crust" of noodles, parmesan cheese and a little olive oil, sauce
Add noodles, add your favorite cheese
Add noodles, add your favorite toppings
Add noodles, add more mozarella cheese

I only do the 4 layers and I don't overload them. Then I bake, cool and cut out with cookie cutters for fun or just serve up.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!
Go to Top of Page

ThePixiesPlayhouse
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Terri
Biggs CA
127 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2009 :  09:04:36 AM  Show Profile
Soup is always a hit in our house. I am the soup queen....LOL My daughter will eat anything if its in soup, even if she says she doesn't like it. The beauty of it, is that you can put anything in it.......
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2009 :  10:24:40 AM  Show Profile
I ended up with one of those Rotiss-erators(thats what I call it) somehow. and let me tell you. That thing is AMAZING! We can have a wonderful rotisserie chicken, broccoli w/ cheese and a baked potato ready in about 45 mins! It's really neat to watch the rotisserie work, and it smells so yumm, all the while, the drippings help to brown the outside skin, and it stays juicy. You can do ribs, hot dogs, skewers with beef or chicken or seafood, it has a tray so you can do fish too. It's healthy, fast, and creative. Kids could get a kick out of watching it! The top of it searves as a bread/roll warmer.
So anyways, if you could find a rotisserator for cheap, and have the room for it(it's about 18 x18 inches) it's not bad to clean, and is really worth it!
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2009 :  1:53:55 PM  Show Profile
Sheila & gals,
I have a cookbooklet, Quick & Healthy Meals, that I wrote a while ago that I would be happy to email to you. Everything in it is inexpensive too!

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many, MRET & Wellness Coach

http://herbalmommasda.blogspot.com/

Farmgirl Sister #97
Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2009 :  8:15:11 PM  Show Profile
Kristine! I'd love it! I'm emailing you! Thanks so much!
Go to Top of Page

damselfly
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Angela
A quiet mountain meadow Missouri
10 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2009 :  7:04:33 PM  Show Profile
Steamed brown rice smothered in a mix of stir-fry vegetables- I like Birds Eye sugar snap blend (add fresh if you have time)and chicken. Drizzle with Bragg Liquid Aminos (from the health food store- a healthy alternative to soy sauce)and a little bit of sesame oil- tastes wonderful, it's easy, inexpensive, and very healthy!

Every day you have less reason not to give yourself away. -Wendell Berry

Edited by - damselfly on Jan 04 2009 7:07:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

Nigella
True Blue Farmgirl

386 Posts

Nigella
Chimacum WA
USA
386 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2009 :  2:46:20 PM  Show Profile
I am in love with Ellie Krieger's cookbook 'The Food You Crave'. So far all the recipes that I've made were soooo tasty, quick, easy, and fresh!

-------------------------
If the ways is long
Let your heart be strong
Keep right on 'round the bend
Though you're tired and weary
Still journey on to your happy abode
Where all that you love
And are dreaming of
Will be there at the end of the road.
-Laura Ingalls Wilder
Go to Top of Page

vermont v
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

Victoria
Chester Vermont
USA
194 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2009 :  6:27:52 PM  Show Profile

Have a baked potato bar. Serve baked potatoes with cheese ; chili, chopped veggies or anything else your kids might like. i personally like salsa!
Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2009 :  10:37:19 AM  Show Profile
Kristine has the most wonderful recipe booklet. Thank you so much for it!! It is full of great easy ideas that we'll be using this week!! Thanks Kristine!
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2009 :  10:39:46 AM  Show Profile
Your welcome!!!

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many, MRET & Wellness Coach

http://herbalmommasda.blogspot.com/

Farmgirl Sister #97
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Wanted:yummy, EASY, and healthy meals Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page