Quintessential Kate
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Kate
Tyler TX
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2009 :  12:08:15 PM  Show Profile
Greetings to all you new farmgals......this is a wonderful place!!!

Great article Rene'....thanks!

Ciao, Kate

Heart of Texas
Chapter
AKA: Hot Farmgirl #234
http://quintessentialkate.blogspot.com

Today is my best day!
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2009 :  1:55:11 PM  Show Profile
I am trying a pizza dough recipe as we speak! If it is a success I will post it, along with pictures later tonight or in the AM!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Quintessential Kate
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Kate
Tyler TX
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2009 :  4:22:50 PM  Show Profile
I'm getting ready to mix up the sourdough waffle recipe......it needs to sit at room temp for @ 14 hours. I KNOW they are going to be great! I found several more recipes, and once I have tried them I will post them.
Have a wonderful weekend all you beautiful FarmGals!!!
Ciao, Kate

Heart of Texas
Chapter
AKA: Hot Farmgirl #234
http://quintessentialkate.blogspot.com

Today is my best day!
Go to Top of Page

urban farm girl
True Blue Farmgirl

80 Posts

Melissa
Posen IL
USA
80 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2009 :  4:47:53 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the welcome Kate and good luck on your waffles and you too have a great weekend.
Also do you have to wait a week to use the starter in a recipe such as Kates for the waffles or Julie's for the pizza?
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2009 :  6:35:50 PM  Show Profile
Hi Girls! I made the pizza for dinner tonight and we LOVED it. I made two batches and had two pizzas. One crust was made with my MaryJanes Farm Flour starter and flour. The other was made using my King Arthur All Purpose Flour and starter. Both baked up beautifully with a fairly thin bottom crust that was just the right amount of chew and crunch. The flavor was great as well. Not overwhelmingly sour.

Sourdough Pizza Crust
Makes 1 Large Pizza
1 1/2 c. Sourdough Starter
2 Tbs. olive oil
1 tsp. kosher salt
1 1/2 c. flour
Preheat oven to 500. In an 8 cup measure or mixing bowl combine starter, olive oil, salt, and flour. Use a wooden spoon to combine until it blends and forms a ball. If the dough is to wet, add more flour, if it is too dry, add more starter. Allow the dough to rest about 30 minutes. Do not expect the dough to rise much during this time. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface with a rolling pin and transfer to a pizza stone or baking sheet. Pre-bake the crust 5-7 minutes, then remove from the oven. Before adding toppings, brush the crust with a little bit of olive oil. Top pizza as desired and bake until the crust is golden and the cheese has melted.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog

Edited by - willowtreecreek on Feb 06 2009 6:39:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

Buffalomary
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Mary
Caldwell ID
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2009 :  6:40:51 PM  Show Profile
Hey Julie,
I did not get the email with any offers for the flour. Would you kindly send one my way?

Thank you!!

Buffalomary
Farmgirl Sister #293

You can take the farmer's daughter off the farm but you can't take the farm out of the farmer's daughter!!

Please visit me at my blog: http://buffalomaryscorner.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2009 :  8:03:43 PM  Show Profile
Mary I just emailed you. Let me know if you don't get it.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2009 :  8:36:38 PM  Show Profile
Julie, i have never gotten e-mails about anything. I would love to know about the flour special, too.

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2009 :  05:48:26 AM  Show Profile
Kristin, I emailed you too. Let me know if you don't get it.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

chicken necker
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Sherry
Eastern Shore Maryland
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2009 :  07:07:46 AM  Show Profile  Send chicken necker an AOL message
Oh Julie! Those pizzas look to die for! I'll definitely have my girls support if I can make those.
Thanks for sharing!

FarmGirl Sister #123

Crafty Bay FarmGirls Chapter

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, either way, you're right." Henry Ford
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2009 :  07:27:13 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Sherry. I forgot to mention that I precioked the onions just slightly before baking so they weren't raw. The rectangle pizza had ground beef, bacon, hot Italian sausage, red onion and pineapple. The round pizza was bacon, mushrooms and onions. I used a combo of shredded prepackaged mozzerella and fresh mozzerella. Of course the fresh was way better but a little to pricy for me to use alone on the whole pizza. I like lots of cheese.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2009 :  07:35:38 AM  Show Profile
Julie, thank you for the e-mail. And now for another question. I just made another loaf this morning of the bread. Can I still take some starter out to make pizza today, too? I have a double batch going of the starter. If I can, do I add three x's the flour and water tomorrow?

That pizza looks too good to pass up.

Kris

Edited by - kristin sherrill on Feb 07 2009 07:37:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

urban farm girl
True Blue Farmgirl

80 Posts

Melissa
Posen IL
USA
80 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2009 :  07:48:30 AM  Show Profile
Wow Julie those pizza's are fantastic! Can I use the starter anytime for a recipe? This morning mine looked bubbly still then I fed it. Wet the towel and hopefully stays bubbly right?
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2009 :  08:33:39 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Julie, the pizza's look awesome!

Melissa, I am glad that you are finding success. It truly is a science, sometimes you just have to find the right combination of flour and climate. It is one one of the things I love about getting the flour from the farm, we know that it is fresh and high quality, I can make all the differnece.

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

khartquilt
True Blue Farmgirl

1176 Posts

USA
1176 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2009 :  08:42:08 AM  Show Profile
So, I am making my first loaf today. But I think I added too much four. My husband started asking my question as I was adding the flour. I was using a 1/2 cup measures. My dough is no way close to sticky. I placed it in the pot. (which is way too big) And I will just pray for the best.
I hope it comes out ok.
I will post photos this evening if I have time.

Kathy H
Farmgirl Sister #81
"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world..." (anomymous)
http://khartquilt.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2009 :  09:26:48 AM  Show Profile
Melissa - My baking day is Sunday and I made the pizzas last night(Friday). I fed my starter right after I removed the 1 1/2 cups needed for the dough and gave it a double feeding. I will give it a double feeding again tonight.(I feed mine at night. I'm not much of a morning person!) It looks like I will still have pleanty to do a baking tomorrow.

Also - the bubbles will get less as the day goes on. It will be most active in the hours just after feeding.

Kristin - as long as you have enough starter left and enough to make the dough you should be fine. If today is your rest day you may just want to add a little extra when you feed the next couple of days to make up for the difference.

Kathy - not sure if the extra flour will be a problem or not. I'll cross my fingers for you! Cant wait to see pictures!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog

Edited by - willowtreecreek on Feb 07 2009 09:27:37 AM
Go to Top of Page

khartquilt
True Blue Farmgirl

1176 Posts

USA
1176 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2009 :  11:49:20 AM  Show Profile
Ok, I am back (the kitchen floor is drying. Just mopped it)
1) My "mothers" home.
I keep it in a large bowl with the cotton towel as instructed. But I added the wide elastic band to keep the towel from falling off.

2) Just before I removed my first two cups.
I have been getting a rather heavy skin on top. I started to dampen the cloth each day once in the morning and them at night when I got home from work. Our house is very dry. Forced hot air heating.

3) Removed two cups. Added some honey and salt. Then added the flour. I think I added 1/2 cup too much. Not very sticky...

Well what do you all think??
I now have it in a 5 quart cast iron Dutch oven. I could not find anything smaller with out porcelain. Would that have been ok to bake it in? The porcelain?
The roaster is in my microwave. It tends to be warm in there if I keep the hood light on. I also added two coffee mugs with boiling water. I hope I am not messing this up.
To be honest, I did take a quick peek. It is looking a lot better. It has risen a little.
My fingers are crossed.

Kathy H
Farmgirl Sister #81
"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world..." (anomymous)
http://khartquilt.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

olive610
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Mary-Alice
Missouri City TX
USA
40 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2009 :  12:11:27 PM  Show Profile
Well week 2 is over with and I have my second loaf rising. Week one sat there like a brick and never rose.

Loaf number 2 was mixed up this morning early. I set it in my oven with the lid cocked to let it breathe and rise. I checked on it about 11 AM and was shocked. There was dough all over the floor of my oven and cascading down the sides of my cast iron pot. Holy Moly what happened. I pulled it out, cleaned up the oven and this time set it on a cookie sheet to catch the spills.

Hubby and I had to run out to get some errands done. We just got home and I was anxious to check my rise again after another 2 and 1/2 hours of rising time. It was about to blow the lid off the pan again. So there is definitely not a problem with the rise at the end of week 2.

Has anybody else had this happen? I am curious about how this loaf is going to bake up. It is going to be full of air holes? We will just have to wait and see. Oh BTW, hubby thinks this is a riot! You should have seen him when I opened the oven and discovered the dough all over the place. He did help me clean it up.......nice guy! He probably figured if he didn't, he wouldn't get any of it.

The squirrels and the birds are enjoying my brick-like loaf from last week. They thinks it's the bee's knees!

I will report back and let you all know how this turned out. I have to charge up my camera so that I can take a picture of it.

"Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint on it you can." Danny Kaye
Go to Top of Page

lara916
True Blue Farmgirl

170 Posts

Lara
Washington State
USA
170 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2009 :  12:18:09 PM  Show Profile
How do I go about doubling the size of my mother? anyone know?

Thanks~

Lara #327

"Boots" Becker Homestead Farmgirls

eta: I just checked on my bread from this morning, it's been in a bowl to rise wince 5am this morning and it looks exactly the same, I am wondering if I did something wrong!

Edited by - lara916 on Feb 07 2009 12:22:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2009 :  12:51:07 PM  Show Profile
Lara - is this your first time to bake with it? Most girls were having little to no rise the first week. It seems the starter likes to mature a liitle more. If you wish to dough me your starter add 2/3 cup flour and 1/2 cup of water everyday. This will yield enough for two loaves or give you extra to pass to a friend.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

lara916
True Blue Farmgirl

170 Posts

Lara
Washington State
USA
170 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2009 :  1:11:59 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by willowtreecreek

Lara - is this your first time to bake with it? Most girls were having little to no rise the first week. It seems the starter likes to mature a liitle more. If you wish to dough me your starter add 2/3 cup flour and 1/2 cup of water everyday. This will yield enough for two loaves or give you extra to pass to a friend.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog

It is my first week! Thanks for the tips and have a great weekend!

Warmly, Lara

Lara #327

Go to Top of Page

lara916
True Blue Farmgirl

170 Posts

Lara
Washington State
USA
170 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2009 :  2:33:01 PM  Show Profile
Here's my first attempt:

It wasn't quite cooked all the way-it was still great though!

p.s sorry I am unsure why those first two shots are soo big!

Lara #327

Go to Top of Page

Pearlsnjeans
True Blue Farmgirl

248 Posts

Vicki
West Haven Utah
USA
248 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2009 :  4:05:09 PM  Show Profile
Wow - miss a few days on this forum and there are so many message to catch up with. Julie the pizza looks wonderful! Makes me hungry! I tried baking my bread in a loaf pan this morning so I could make sandwichs like MaryJane. It had a good rise, tastes great, but like the two small loaves from last week, still seems too done on the top. I know sourdough bread is supposed to be crusty, but mine is hard! What can I do different?

Vicki
Farmgirl Sister #120
Today well lived makes every yesterday a memory of happiness and every tomorrow a vision of hope.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2009 :  5:19:19 PM  Show Profile
Well, I have to say my pizza was so good. My hubby says thank you, Julie. I had dehydrated tomatoes and mushrooms that I used in place of sauce and I used our sausage. Cooked the sausage and sauteed onions with the mushrooms. I used a small cookie sheet. So I put the tomatoes (after rehydrating them)and then sausage, then the onions and mushrooms, then lots of cheese. It was so good! And not hard or time consuming at all. But it was alot for 2 people, so next time I will cut the recipe in half or wait till the kids come to eat. I did take pictures but again will have to get my DD to help.

And for my bread this time I added 1/2 a cup of whole wheat flour and made 2 small loaves in my small cast iron skillets. It rose all day and never really did much. But the flavor is great. Very sour.

And Vicki, try putting tin foil on top the last 10 or so minutes to keep from browning too much. I had to do that, too.

Go to Top of Page

olive610
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Mary-Alice
Missouri City TX
USA
40 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2009 :  5:37:41 PM  Show Profile
My loaf from week 2 turned out okay. On page 33 of this topic I posted my "I Love Lucy" rising fiasco today and I wasn't sure how this would turn out. I was very pleased with the end results and it was delicious.

The texture was wonderful and it was not too sour. I had read where quite a few people thought it was too sour. I did increase the honey up to 1 Tablespoon. I baked mine in a 2 quart cast iron pot.

Here are some photos.

"Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint on it you can." Danny Kaye
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 80 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Bread the MaryJane Way Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page