pearlgirl
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Lydia
Holland MI
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  10:26:14 AM  Show Profile
I was using Firefox for my browser and sure enough, in Internet Explorer they all showed up fine. Thanks.

Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the LORD, she shall be praised. Give her of the fruit of her hands; and let her own works praise her in the gates.
Pro 31:30,31

http://pearlsgleanings.blogspot.com/
http://www.pearlgirl901.etsy.com/
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  10:43:46 AM  Show Profile
The problem is firefox. It supports a different font than IE does. I'll see if I can fix them. Those of you using Firefox let me know if it helps.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  11:09:51 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Much better! Thank you.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  11:11:46 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Deni- the "water" floating on the top is actually called Hooch. It's an alcohol water that is a by product of the sourdough. You can either stir it back in or pour it off.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Gaelic Gardener
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Kelly
Providence Rhode Island
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  3:06:42 PM  Show Profile
How about if I pour my mother a beer and put it next to her on the counter so they can discuss yeast? Will she get bubbly then, do you think? I know I always get bubbly after I drink beer....
--Kelly ;)

“We can complain because rose bushes have thorns,
or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
Abraham Lincoln
Go to Top of Page

gramax18
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Elinor
meeker Colorado
USA
106 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  3:09:28 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone. I have a question that I don't think has been asked sofar. I have made the farmhouse bread for 4 weeks and it is very tough. I don't mean the crust but the inside. Yes the crust has been hard until I found a plastic container to keep it to keep it fresh. The last loaf raised real well and the taste is good. I hope someone can help me.
Thanks

Elinor
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  3:34:24 PM  Show Profile
Kelly.....what a GREAT idea about the beer! LOL! I had mine on top of the frig and decided to bring her down. I thought she might be lonely. I talk to my plants and anything living so I figured I better start talking to "Mother"....we'll see if it helps...she does seem to be a bit more "bubbly" now! Let me know how the beer companion works...I don't have any in the house right now so you'll have to do THAT research.
Good luck!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226

www.farmgirlsam.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

urban farm girl
True Blue Farmgirl

80 Posts

Melissa
Posen IL
USA
80 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  4:22:49 PM  Show Profile
I sure like that idea too!!!
Go to Top of Page

nin1952
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Donna
Cedartown GA
USA
269 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  4:46:34 PM  Show Profile

Hi I'm new to this type of thing. Hope I'm not doing anything wrong.
I started "Mother" about three weeks ago. I've done everything it says to do down to the last letter and I just have not had any success. I may sound dumber than a rock, but maybe someone can answer a couple of questions. My starter has a thin layer of liquid on top when I uncover it. Should it? Is "Mother" supposed to be thin? It just won't rise. What am I doing wrong? Please help.
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  5:01:34 PM  Show Profile
Hello Donna. Welcome. No questions are dumb ones. See the posts a few before yours,. The Liquid is called hooch it can be stirred back into the mother. Mother is not watery but like thick pancake batter. The bread dough when ready to raise is like a sticky ball, It will resemble the feel of a water balloon..pat it gently with a bit of flourand leave it covered maybe 8 hours. Be sure to bake it with a muffin tin of water. It needs the moisture while cooking. bake no hotter than 200 degrees internal temp. Sourdough will not rise like yeast kneaded bread. Keep trying it will get easier. My first loaf looked like foccaccia bread. each week the mother gets stronger and better...Check back a few pages on this thread Mary Jane gave some great advice.

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309

Almost daily posts at:
http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/

Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise',
I wash my mouth out with chocolate.
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  5:43:07 PM  Show Profile
Donna - the first week the starter will be fairly thick but will eventually thin out to be like batter. The liquid is normal and fine. I have not had much experience with my started itself rising. But I feed them at night and don't look at them during the day.

We are so glad you have joined us! No dumb questions. Go back and read this forum. There is so much good info.

Ladies I am working on a carrot cake recipe I will be sharing with you later in the week.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

urban farm girl
True Blue Farmgirl

80 Posts

Melissa
Posen IL
USA
80 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  6:03:57 PM  Show Profile
Julie....you said you give the starter liquid every other day. I thought I would try that but it didn't get any of the bubbles so I added the liquid(purified water).
Donna I'm just where your at...but I am determined to succeed at this. Everyone is so helpful too... I really enjoy this!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  6:04:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I have had to stir down my starter about 3 times today! I am waiting for a delivery of flour tomorrow so I can do some bread baking! Hurray!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  7:28:25 PM  Show Profile
Melissa I give my starter water EVERY day except it's rest day and then it doesnt get anything. I only wet my towel every other day. Perhaps I wasn't clear when I posted that. I was responding to someones question about how often to wet the towel.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

olive610
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Mary-Alice
Missouri City TX
USA
40 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  8:03:24 PM  Show Profile
Hello Farmgirls,

I have been off the message board for 2 days as I have been ill.

Deni, I just now read that you are new. You discovered Mary Janes Farm the same way I did by finding the magazine because of the Artisan bread on the cover.

Julie, I did make your pancake recipe and it was WONDERFUL! As soon as I mixed up the batter it got nice and bubbly right away. The pancakes turned out light and fluffy. My hubby loved them. Thanks so much for sharing that recipe with all of us. I will be making these all the time now.

See you all tomorrow.

"Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint on it you can." Danny Kaye
Go to Top of Page

antoinette
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Toni
East Freedom PA
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  8:57:08 PM  Show Profile
Is anyone making any other kinds of bread with the sour dough other than the farmhouse white? If so would you mind sharing your recipe. Thanks Toni
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  10:04:09 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Toni- I shared the french bread recipe (I'll have to go find it- it is back about 3-4 pages) and that works really nicely. Any sour dough recipe should work well.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2009 :  09:51:35 AM  Show Profile
Success!! I mixed up the cinnamon raisin bread last evening and let it sit overnight, baked it this morning before work - it raised beautifully! I haven't had a chance to try it though as I was fasting for a dr appointmtent this morning...Can't wait until I get home!
Go to Top of Page

gardenmaam
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Cathy
Moreno Valley CA
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2009 :  11:34:37 AM  Show Profile  Send gardenmaam a Yahoo! Message
RONNA~ Thanks for sharing the recipe! I had success with the San Francisco "style" french bread recipe. The small round loaves turned out just PERECT! The texture and taste were both great. The loaves worked well to use for soup "bowls". Just cut a bit off the top then scooped out much of the middle leaving a bowl shape...filled with hot chowder. Topped each filled "bowl" with the cut off portion of the loaf. Everyone liked it alot. Next time I will make 5 rounds out of the batch so they are just a little smaller.

Alee~ The recipe that Ronna posted should be on page 13 of this topic dated Jan. 22.
Go to Top of Page

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2009 :  11:37:27 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Julie for the bagel recipe. I started my mother again on Sunday. I think the bagels will be a good recipe to try for my first bake since so many have had troubles with theirs. Can't wait to try them. I have never made bagels before either. :)

"I have an irrepressible desire to live till I can be assured that the world is a little better for my having lived in it."
– Abraham Lincoln
Go to Top of Page

gardenmaam
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Cathy
Moreno Valley CA
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2009 :  11:40:24 AM  Show Profile  Send gardenmaam a Yahoo! Message
Elinor~ My Farm House white has been tough too on the outside. The first week was very dense and short.
Second week used a loaf pan and it had a better rise but still very crunchy on top. But the inside was more like a dense french bread.
This last time I used the San Francisco french recipe posted on pg. 13 and it was great. I wrote about this loaf here just a moment ago.
Next week I wil try the Farmhouse white again and see what happens.

quote:
Originally posted by gramax18

Hi everyone. I have a question that I don't think has been asked sofar. I have made the farmhouse bread for 4 weeks and it is very tough. I don't mean the crust but the inside. Yes the crust has been hard until I found a plastic container to keep it to keep it fresh. The last loaf raised real well and the taste is good. I hope someone can help me.
Thanks

Elinor

Go to Top of Page

strawberyarn
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Christine
Strawberry Arizona
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2009 :  11:57:32 AM  Show Profile
FINALLY SUCCESS this is my third loaf. My first two were bricks with no rise. But this week the bread rose. I did nothing different mine just took longer. Why? don't know, don't care. Is it because my house is colder and I live at 7000 elevation. Could be. Just stick with it it works. In the third week the mother really bcame active more bubbles etc. I have not checked this post for about a week so now I cannot wait to try the pizzas and the bagels which both look wonderful. Thanks to you all for support pictures and knowledge because without this I would have chucked this project after week one. Christine
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2009 :  12:49:43 PM  Show Profile
I'm going to share a good sourdough English Muffin recipe.
Was adapted from a King Arthur recipe, not by me. Enjoy!
The more you use your starter, you'll realize how versatile
and tasty it is.
Ronna

1 cup sourdough starter
1 ½ cups milk
5 1/2 to 6 cups flour
1 T sugar
1 T sea salt
1 tsp baking soda

To make sponge: In a ceramic or glass bowl, mix starter, milk and 5 cups of flour. Cover with plastic wrap, and let sit UNREFRIGERATED for 7-24 hours.

To make dough: Mix sugar, salt, baking soda and ½ cup flour, kneading into the sponge – it will be too thick to stir – no more than 2 minutes. Cover with plastic wrap, letting it rest for an hour. (There’s still ½-cup remaining flour. Some of it can be added in if this dough feels too sticky. You want a dough that resembles a good biscuit dough – not too sticky, not too dry.

Kneading & Shaping: Lightly flour your kneading board and hands – dough will be “soft”. Knead for only 2-3 minutes, just until the dough is smooth, no longer lumpy. Roll it out between ¼ and ½-inch thickness.

Cut out 3 to 4-inch diameter circles. Place on a cornmeal sprinkled cookie sheet, letting rest for at least 15-minutes, but 30 is better. Note: I didn’t use cornmeal as I don’t care for the flavor. Ronna's notes..use Semolina flour, not so crunchy on the teeth and yet gives a bit of texture. Great for pizza too. Use a large biscuit cutter, if it's smaller than 3-4", that's okay. They'll bake/cook a bit faster and you'll have more of them to enjoy. Special EM cutters/forms are not needed. Specific type of flour (bread or all purpose) was not specified when the recipe was adapted, use what you have and they should be fine.

There are two cooking methods – either works well.

1. Stove top: Heat a lightly greased skillet, using a very low flame. I used ghee. Place cornmeal side down in the warmed skillet, cooking slowly for 10-minutes. Flip, cooking other side for another 10-minutes. Check for a light-brown color. Poke the sides to see if they’re cooked – not gooey.

2. Oven: Heat oven to 425-degrees. Place dough rounds on cornmeal dusted cookie sheet. Bake 8-10 minutes. Check bottom side for light brown coloration. Flip rounds over, cooking 6-8 minutes on the other side.

I tested both methods and preferred the oven method. The outside was more crispy, the inside more “fluffy” and light in texture, given the greater amount of heat that expanded the dough. Having said that, the skillet method resulted in English Muffins that were still superior to any store-bought.

Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2009 :  1:23:24 PM  Show Profile
Oh! I LOVE English muffins! Thank you for the recipe, Ronna! My Mother is only 3 days old and the first time I bake I am making your San Francisco recipe or Julies pancakes and then the next week I'll venture further. This is day 3 and I have a dry thin cotton towel over it and there is quite a crust on it. Is it alright to wet the towel with purified water now? There are big chunks of crust in my starter now. MJ says to not wet the towel until the 2nd week but maybe since it is winter makes it dry out faster? Advice appreciated!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226

www.farmgirlsam.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

nancylee
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

nancy
williams az
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2009 :  1:29:35 PM  Show Profile
nancy
quote:
Originally posted by willowtreecreek

Nancy - I don't really know anything about elevation. Maybe someone else can chime in on that. How old is your starter? Are you feeding it everyday and are you seeing bubbles on it after feeding? What type of water are you using?

Also - personally I was not a big fan of the KA Bread flour for making bread. I would suggest you use the KA All purpose flour if it is available in your area. The bread flour seemed very doughy even after a good rise and baking to 200.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 80 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Bread the MaryJane Way Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page