Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2009 :  1:39:58 PM  Show Profile
Nancy, elevation should not make a difference for your starter. I'm at nearly 5000 ft here. Bread does not require the exact measurements of a cake or quick bread for rising. I really don't think it's of importance. We have ladies at nearly sea level in SoCal and those in the Rocky Mountains of CO using sourdough and have not heard or read of any problems.
Go to Top of Page

gardenmaam
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Cathy
Moreno Valley CA
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2009 :  8:11:31 PM  Show Profile  Send gardenmaam a Yahoo! Message
Ronna - What is the approximate yield on the English Muffin recipe?
Cathy
Go to Top of Page

Quintessential Kate
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Kate
Tyler TX
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  05:08:33 AM  Show Profile
Sandra,
The dry towel allows the little "yeasties" to get through and permeate your starter. If you're home during the day I would suggest maybe stirring it every then and again as you pass through the kitchen. I have the opposite problem....I live in a very HUMID climate right now and my "Ma" is over a month old and I very seldom have a "crust" on her. I probably wet her towel about 2-3 times during the week. But part of that is that we really like the "sour".
Hang in there for this first week so you can capture all the available yeast you need.
That's just my 2 cents worth......
Good luck!
Ciao, Kate

Heart of Texas
Chapter
AKA: Hot Farmgirl #234
http://quintessentialkate.blogspot.com

Today is my best day!
Go to Top of Page

Quintessential Kate
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Kate
Tyler TX
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  05:14:46 AM  Show Profile
Ronna,
Thanks for posting the English Muffin recipe......which will be my next venture. Tell me, have you ever frozen them once they are made? We are a tribe of two.....and most recipes make way more than we can eat. BUT....when I get a new recipe I always follow the recipe to the nth degree the first time around. If I get good results the first time around then I can cut it back some the next time I make it.
Thanks again for your wonderful recipes!! I have been having such a good time making different breads....and taking care of "Ma".
Ciao, Kate

Heart of Texas
Chapter
AKA: Hot Farmgirl #234
http://quintessentialkate.blogspot.com

Today is my best day!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  06:40:25 AM  Show Profile
Hey Julie, I am making the pancakes this morning and I knew I should have halfed the recipe. So I have a lot left over. Can I keep it in the fridge and if so how long will it last in there??

Thanks. Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

olive610
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Mary-Alice
Missouri City TX
USA
40 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  06:55:31 AM  Show Profile
Kristin,

I made the full recipe too and it's just me and my hubby. I just cooked up the pancakes and let them all cool on a wire rack. Then I wrapped them in batches of 4 and put them in the freezer. When I want pancakes in the morning I take them out, defrost them and warm them in the oven. They are just as good and when I am in a rush they come in so handy.

"Life is a great big canvas, and you should throw all the paint on it you can." Danny Kaye
Go to Top of Page

DeepsouthMamma
True Blue Farmgirl

1454 Posts

Autumn
Southwest Louisiana
USA
1454 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  07:06:18 AM  Show Profile
Hey, just popping in to comment on the English Muffin recipe-
I made them yesterday and they were fantastic. It was a different recipe than Ronna posted,I think, but similar-this is the one I used(just so you can compare for yield)

http://webpages.charter.net/rhamley/bread/engmuffins.htm

They freeze and reheat perfectly! This recipe made 11(large biscuit cutter)
They looked the same size as reg store bought ones-just a hundred times better tasting!!!!

Blessings,
Autumn
Farmgirl #49
http://simplytoday-autumn.blogspot.com/

Isaiah 40:31
But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  07:07:22 AM  Show Profile
Well, what a good idea, Mary-Alice. I will have to do that now. Thanks.

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  07:19:30 AM  Show Profile
Kate...thanks for your advice....when I went to stir yesterday...no more crust and lots more "hooch"...I fed her and then checked a couple hours later and getting lots of bubbles and that yeasty smell I love! I can't wait for Sunday! I'm going to make Ronna's San Francisco French bread for starters....get it...starters...I crack myself up! Have a great day everyone and don't forget to Love Your Mother!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226

www.farmgirlsam.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  08:00:14 AM  Show Profile
Kristin it is a lot of batter. I made them all and fed the leftovers to our dogs and chickens. I wasn't sure how it would hold up in the fridge. I will try it next time we make them.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

pearlgirl
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Lydia
Holland MI
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  08:07:10 AM  Show Profile
I made Julie's pancakes yesterday and they were still wonderful today after being refrigerated. I think there are still some in the fridge for tomorrow. I made 2/3 the recipe and it has fed 3 of us for two breakfasts.

Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the LORD, she shall be praised. Give her of the fruit of her hands; and let her own works praise her in the gates.
Pro 31:30,31

http://pearlsgleanings.blogspot.com/
http://www.pearlgirl901.etsy.com/
Go to Top of Page

EarthKind
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Angel
Valencia CA
5 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  3:08:47 PM  Show Profile
Hi Gals! Here's a photo of Ronna's delicious French Bread recipe. It was so good, I'm making more today! It came out great the first time and my mother was only about a week and a half old. I might try the English Muffin recipe next, it sounds really good. I like the sour too, and made a post about it earlier this week. It's under Sour?+ photos thread, I guess I should have posted it over here. Somebody mentioned that the larger the mother, the more likely it is to be sour and that keeping the towl wet helps. I've been doing that and my mother is definately getting more sour and fragrant too!

Angel

Farmgirl Sister #481
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  5:57:29 PM  Show Profile
Angel...your bread is gorgeous!!!! That's the recipe I am going to use this Sunday when my "MOM" will be a week old! YES!!!! Can't wait....I've been drooling over the pics and descriptions all week! Thanks for sharing!

Farmgirl Sister #226

Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  6:11:27 PM  Show Profile
That bread looks wonderful Angel.
Kris, The pancakes freeze wonderfully, I made them last Friday and froze the extra's. I only used 1 cup of the "mother"starter and had 4 pancakes left over DH & I both had our fill. I always freese them after I make them & let them cool. Just like Mary-Alice (Olive610)said. wrap & freeze what you don't eat. reheat & eat!

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309

Almost daily posts at:
http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/

Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise',
I wash my mouth out with chocolate.
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  9:00:58 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for all you who have taken the plunge and worked out the kinks for the rest of us. I'm jumping on the band er bread wagon and I'm proud to announce that "Ruby" was born at 4:39 this afternoon. She's named after my Grandmother who more than likely made her own sourdough. I was going to name her after my late mother when I realized Mom wouldn't be caught dead making her own bread (I'm apparently a throw back). Wish me luck! Looking forward to pancakes next Tuesday.

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2009 :  06:27:03 AM  Show Profile
Audrey...you GO Girlfriend! I am still just calling mine "MOM"...I guess I should name her after my mother but she didn't have a lot of time for hanging out in the kitchen! Although after she retired she did start making bread but mostly French bread but that counts for sure so I guess I will officially announce here that my Mother is "Lizzie"! In memory of my REAL Mother who always tried to "do it all"! I hope my starter does half as well!

Farmgirl Sister #226

Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2009 :  08:11:00 AM  Show Profile
Glad to hear you all are having some great success. Keep the pictures coming! I think they are a great motivator.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

Gaelic Gardener
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Kelly
Providence Rhode Island
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2009 :  08:11:23 AM  Show Profile
This just in from Health magazine:

" A 2008 study from researchers at the University of Massachusetts Medical School showed that people with type 2 diabetes who followed a low-glycemic index (GI) diet lost weight and reduced blood sugar."

"Not all whole-wheat bread is low-GI, but real sourdough bread is because of the acidity of the dough."
So eat up!
--Kelly

“We can complain because rose bushes have thorns,
or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
Abraham Lincoln
Go to Top of Page

janiee
True Blue Farmgirl

820 Posts

Janie
Shawnee Oklahoma
USA
820 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2009 :  08:17:48 AM  Show Profile
THANK YOU!Kelly for posting that information! I went to a dietician yesterday for my diabetes and she tried to tell me that I have to give up my sourdough bread (from Ethel-husbands grandmother's name) and I was searching the threads this morning to see if she was right or not! Yipee! I can still do my baking and have yummy bread!!!!! dancing in the kitchen.....:)
janiee
farmgirl #390
Go to Top of Page

Farmers Daughter
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

DiAnn

90 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2009 :  08:48:10 AM  Show Profile
Well my mother has been going since Monday. Kind of off the schedule, but it took me a little time to find organic flour. She is doing "OK" not a lot of bubble action. House is on the cool side. I seen the post about maybe stirring it more often to stop the crust from forming and yesterday I did it 3 time. It really made a difference. Seems like it made her bubble more. I don't know if the crust was keeping her from breathing? I just blamed the lack of bubbling action on the cool, might be both.
I want to thank all of you ladies for the great post and tips. It took me several days to get through all the pages. My husband kept wondering what I so interested in on the computer. I have learned so much and am enjoy this whole process to sour dough bread.
Thanks to all you gals. Can't wait till the next venture. Did I read something about making cheese in the next magazine? oh boy!
Go to Top of Page

gspringman
True Blue Farmgirl

387 Posts

Gail
Bonanza Oregon
USA
387 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2009 :  3:03:10 PM  Show Profile  Send gspringman a Yahoo! Message
I made my first MJ bread today. I only found organic wheat flour when I was given the starter from kfalls farmgirl last week. It looks real pretty in the new cast iron pan I bought. I just tasted it and it tastes pretty good too although I think I added too much salt. My eyes were'nt quite awake this morning when I put it together. Will have to look around for organic white flour next time and make sure I read the salt portion better.

Gail
Farmgirl #486
Go to Top of Page

LoraFLeming
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Lora
Onalaska WI
USA
30 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2009 :  4:49:09 PM  Show Profile
Success! Week two my bread turned out perfectly! It was delicious and Sat is now going to be my favorite day ... fresh bread! YUM!! If you'd like to see pictures of my first two weeks and a video go to my blog ... http://loralynn7.blogspot.com /font id= blue " target="_blank"> font color= blue http://loralynn7.blogspot.com /font id= blue
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2009 :  6:28:04 PM  Show Profile
Sourdough Carrot Cake
2 - large carrots, grated to equal 1 cup
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
dash of salt
1/4tsp. ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp. allspice
1/2tsp. ground cinnamon
2 tsp. baking soda
1 cup starter
1/4 cup of milk
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup raisins and/or 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
In a small saucepan add carrots and just enough water to cover. Simmer 20 minutes until carrots are tender.
In a large bowl cream together butter and sugars. Add one egg and beat until smooth. Add salt, spices and baking soda and mix well.
In a separate bowl combine starter, milk, flour and the carrots plus their cooking liquid(to make 1 cup total). Mix to combine and add nuts and raisins if desired. Add to the butter and sugar mixture and stir until well combined. Pour batter into a prepared 13x9 inch pan and bake at 350 about 40 minutes or until it tests done.
Cool and serve. Top with cream cheese frosting if desired.

Cream Cheese Frosting
(If making a layer cake, double this recipe)
1 – 8oz package of cream cheese
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
In a large bowl use a blender to cream together all ingredients.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog

Edited by - willowtreecreek on Jul 06 2009 05:40:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

gspringman
True Blue Farmgirl

387 Posts

Gail
Bonanza Oregon
USA
387 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2009 :  6:33:54 PM  Show Profile  Send gspringman a Yahoo! Message
Julie, your carrot cake recipe looks great. Can't wait to try it.
Thanks

Gail
Farmgirl #486
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2009 :  6:59:54 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Gail. I forgot to mention that is was absolutly delicious! I am taking the rest to a pot luck at school(work) tomorrow. If I keep eating everything I make I will gain 100 pounds!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 80 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Bread the MaryJane Way Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page