True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2009 :  8:13:17 PM  Show Profile
Sportsman's Warehouse. http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/store_locator.cfm
I've seen cast iron in some Walmarts that have a decent sporting-goods/camping section too.

http://bonne1313.blogspot.com/ BLOG
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2009 :  8:15:28 PM  Show Profile
I've bought at least a dozen dutch ovens over the years in thrift shops. All seasoned and ready to use, love it. They're always on eBay, though sometimes fairly pricey. I won't buy the ones from china or taiwan, just my feelings on not knowing the source of the raw materials. Many are happy with Lodge brand, I stick with the old Griswold or Wagner. I know there's a Rubbermaid tote full of cast iron in the garage and more at storage. Plus those in the cupboard and oven that I use all the time. When I can't lift my cast iron, I'll have to stop cooking.
With MaryJane's permission, I could post some tips and suggestions I've learned over my 50+ years of baking bread, specifically sourdough.
Go to Top of Page

chessie
True Blue Farmgirl

403 Posts

Karen
Vista CA
USA
403 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2009 :  8:57:51 PM  Show Profile
I Thank you Bonne! & Will check them out next.
Ronna, I know what you mean, I, too, have every size under the sun of Cast iron skillets, muffin and corn stick pans, plus a 5 qt and a 7 qt dutch ovens all gathered over the years from flea mrkts, thrift stores and antiques dealers. The seasoning on the used ones is priceless. But along the way I have not seen lidded saucepans like MaryJane uses. I think my cureent dutche ovens are too big and so I am going to see if I can find a 2 quart

www.edgehillherbfarm.com "where the name is bigger than the farm, but no one seems to mind"
blog http://edgehillherbfarmer.spaces.live.com/default.aspx?wa=wsignin1.0
happy farmgirl #89
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  07:44:12 AM  Show Profile
I have a 2 quart lodge one with a lid but it is wide (about 9 inches) and only about 3 inches tall. I'm gonna give it a try though. I'm hoping its not too short. I think I paid around 40 for it and got it off the Lodge website.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Evonne
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

TN.
6 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  11:45:27 AM  Show Profile
Ok I am new to this forum. Heck,I'm new to ANY forum! But I had to join this bunch of farm girls! I am sooo a farm girl at heart! I live in town,but think like country! Well,anyway, I started my sour dough last sunday, so I get to bake tomorrow! I am so excited. I have an old iron pot just like the one pictured in the magazine! I couldn't believe it! I had forgotten all about it until I was cleaning up around our fireplace,and there sitting back in the corner of the large hearth, behind old coffee pots I collect,sat this little pot! I pulled it out, cleaned it and seasoned it,and it is waiting for my bread!
I do hope the starter is forgiving,'cause I have certainly made mistakes getting it going! (I am bad about not paying close attention to instructions!)I have kept mine covered with a damp cloth and plate since I started it. Didn't notice till today,that I was supposed to start with DRY ,and no plate! Also, I had mine setting on top of my toaster oven,and forgot to move it off one day while I made toast! OOPS! I have now found a new home for it to set! I have continued on as if everything is ok. I hope it is! It looks ok ,I guess and it does smell kinda like vinegar,which someone had mentioned. So I am going to carry on as planned. I will bake tomorrow evening and let you know the results!
Have a good day! Evonne

You can take the girl out of the country,but you can't take the country out of the girl!
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  7:34:26 PM  Show Profile
Hey Evonne! Welcome to the Farm! If your starter is moist and doing well you should be fine! The reason for the moist towel is to help prevent a crust from forming. If you get a thin crust most of the time you can stir it back in and it will be fine. If you haven't had this problem yet and all else looks well I think you are off to a good start! Look forward to seeing more posts from you!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

cinnamongirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1682 Posts

Carrie

Canada
1682 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  8:45:15 PM  Show Profile
oh here is where the recipe is I haven't got my mag yet cool I will need to pick up flour tomorrow
Go to Top of Page

chessie
True Blue Farmgirl

403 Posts

Karen
Vista CA
USA
403 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  9:21:14 PM  Show Profile
Well it is Friday night and I am letting my first loaf of MaryJane artisan sourdough bread rise slowly overnight so I can bake it tomorrow morn. You see, it has been really hot here lately, over 80 degrees each day, and tomorrow's forecast is for more of the same heat wave. I want to bake in the morning so I do not contribute excess household heat to the ventilation system tomorrow afternoon. I know from the news that the rest of you are experiencing a cold snap of epic proportions. I'm sorry. At least your bread baking will warm your homes appropriately.
This week I also laminated the recipe pages, including the bit about sourdough from MaryJane's Lifebook, since it is similar yet different, and they now occupy a permanent place with the mother on my counter.
I searched but did not find a smaller cast iron lidded vessel like MaryJane's so I am making a freeform loaf within my cast iron dutch oven. I will continue my search next week...
This has been so fun.
Another goal for next week is to add sprouting to my morning mother routine. Since it only takes me 30 seconds instead of a whole minute, I might as well use the other 30 seconds of free time productively.

... peeking at my bubbling "mother" this week

...i timed it...less than 30 seconds! it is very helpful to have the recipes laminated. easy cleanup.

...here she is, all tucked in for the nightrise in the dutch oven.

See you all tomorrow! Karen

www.edgehillherbfarm.com "where the name is bigger than the farm, but no one seems to mind"
happy farmgirl #89
Go to Top of Page

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2009 :  06:39:03 AM  Show Profile
I think mine flopped for whatever reason. It smells sour but I've gotten no bubbling. Think I need a new mother.

Edited by - Bonne on Jan 17 2009 06:50:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2009 :  07:58:30 AM  Show Profile
oh bonne, try again!

http://hectichousehold.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2009 :  10:36:44 AM  Show Profile
Bonne - check your starter about 10 minutes or so after you first add your flour and water. It will be the bubbliest at this time and will calm down a bit as the day goes on.

What type/brand of flour are you using? Did you use purified water?

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2009 :  11:09:46 AM  Show Profile
O Where O Where is the organic flour??? I should have ordered it the beginning of the week when I thought of it instead of thinking I could surely find it in one of the stores around here! Off to Wegman's to check there...

For those of you looking for cast iron, if you have a Cabelas store around you they have them also. NOt sure about Gander Mtn or Bass Pro...

Edited by - Suzan on Jan 17 2009 11:11:10 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2009 :  1:11:22 PM  Show Profile
I used King Arthur's organic flour and bottled purified water. Jessica said my house is too clean~lol I think she meant to be funny, but I have one of those Ecoquest air purifiers that sanitizes the air, so that may be true!

Go to Top of Page

Evonne
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

TN.
6 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2009 :  4:42:15 PM  Show Profile
Ok, My dough has been rising all day. Well I use that term loosely,as it hasn't really seemed to have risen much at all! All other bread I have ever baked has risen alot before baking. Is this different? It is 7:30 now and I am going to go ahead with baking and see what happens.
I was so excited! I hope I get pleasantly surprised with what comes out of my oven! If not, I will start a new mother and see if that helps.
One thing, my cast iron pot is old and seems to be very well seasoned,even after I cleaned it good. I did re-season it after I cleaned it.But.... I did not grease it before I put my dough in it? Could that be my problem? It felt really slick and nice, so I didn't think I needed to grease it.
Thanks one and all,
Evonne

You can take the girl out of the country,but you can't take the country out of the girl!
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2009 :  5:16:26 PM  Show Profile
Hello Evonne, Welcome from Oregon. So nice of you to join us. I will look forward to getting to know you as you post more. Everyone here is especially nice. I started my "Mother"on Wednesday,Can't wait to bake it.

http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/
Cheryl
Farmgirl #309
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude." Maya Angelou
Go to Top of Page

Evonne
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

TN.
6 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2009 :  6:25:22 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the welcome! Well,my bread was a BAD flop this time. It did not rise, it is cemented to the pan, so I guess that really was part of the problem. I don't know whether to start with a new mother,given the mishaps I spoke of in an earlier post,or just try again and try to correct all my mistakes,including generously greasing the pot or using the parchment paper.
Anyway,although I am disappointed I don't have fresh hot bread to eat,I am not about to give up! So,the story continues !
And I hope everyone else has delicious bread to eat!
Evonne

Go to Top of Page

LindaStimson
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Linda
Brookings Oregon
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2009 :  6:42:12 PM  Show Profile
Hi Everybody,

Just signed up so this is my first post. I have been reading about the problems and I have had the same problems! No rise. I was so disappointed. So I will start again tomorrow. Was it the flour: Organic Gold Medal? Or the wet towel verses the dry towel? I used a wet one. I got bubbles at first then only a few. Then none.

I really like the idea of doing things the old fashioned way. How did they make bread before you could buy yeast? I had no idea. I have researched it some on the web. I got a wood stove this year. First time in my life I have had a real fire. I have cooked several meals on it and found I had to slow down to wait for the heat. Not a knob to turn! So when we build the house I want a wood burning stove. I will have to have an electric one as well though. Sometimes here on the coast in Oregon we get high temperatures. This week we had 70 degrees! Needless to say we did not light the fire! Was that why I go no "rise"? We were hot during the day and cold at night?

Thank goodness for my Bread Machine. Not perfect but far better than store bread..

I will watch with interest as we get through this together!

First Herwick sheep in America. British sheep raised by a British farm girl!
Go to Top of Page

chessie
True Blue Farmgirl

403 Posts

Karen
Vista CA
USA
403 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2009 :  7:24:28 PM  Show Profile
Well, my loaf was flat but tasty. I guess a freeform loaf in the dutch oven was not a good idea. Next week i will put it in a loaf pan. Undaunted, Karen

happy farmgirl #89
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  06:21:01 AM  Show Profile
Hey girls when setting your dough to rise you want to maintain an even warm temperature not one that fluctuates.
Linda - ihavent tried the gold medal organic so I am not sure. Some other have expressed that they weren't thrilled with it. I am using king Arthur.
Evonne - I'm glad your not discouraged. I'm not sure what all of your issues were the first time but I'll bet you get it right this time.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Evonne
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

TN.
6 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  06:36:45 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the encouragement. And Linda,sorry yours didn't work either. What is the general opinion here, do we start new mothers or carry on with the old one? As for flour, I used King Arthur unbleached, unbromated,(is that the right word?don't have the bag in front of me),but the bag did not say organic. I used distilled water.
I think I will wait for some opinions before I go on with this little experiment. If I have to have organic,I think my store carries another brand,in a small bag.
But I really want this to work!
Have a good Sunday,
Evonne in TN. where is it ICY!

Go to Top of Page

ennoid
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

D
FL
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  09:15:33 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Bonne

I think mine flopped for whatever reason. It smells sour but I've gotten no bubbling. Think I need a new mother.

Mine looks like this in the mornings. It's like the water and flour are separating??? I did use a moist towel the first three days so I think that might be the problem. I can smell it souring though. Tomorrow is my day for baking but I'm not too optimistic.
Go to Top of Page

Evonne
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

TN.
6 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  09:29:08 AM  Show Profile
I went ahead and started a new mother. I used the same flour,but I used purified water instead of distilled. Also,covered with a dry cloth instead of moist. So the adventure begins.Again.
Evonne

Go to Top of Page

country roads
True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Melissa
Shinglehouse Pa
USA
443 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  10:13:13 AM  Show Profile
I started my mother yesterday evening. There were lots of bubbles when I went to bed. I added more today and still the bubbles are looking good. I couldn't find the King Arthur brand in organic, so I bought Gold Medal organic and used our spring water. So far so good! I hope everyone elses turns out delicious, I can't wait til baking day.

Take care, Melissa.

Farmgirl # 352

~Think happy thoughts~
Go to Top of Page

LindaStimson
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Linda
Brookings Oregon
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  10:21:16 AM  Show Profile
I have been searching around the internet for more information. I have not found what I was looking for. So I just started two more batches here at home. One using wheat and the other using rye. And warm water. I saw a You Tube with a demo for making sour dough starter in a mason jar. I am going to try that later. I saw one reference to using sour dough in other bread recipes, that it has a slight sourdough taste. Melissa, I used that Gold Medal with our spring water and it didn't rise. Was it the flour? Will warm water do the trick? Who knows? I found a lot of references to a book called, "The Bread Makers Apprentice" Anybody read that book? We don't have a book store so I would have to order it. I will keep trying!

First Herwick sheep in America. British sheep raised by a British farm girl!
Go to Top of Page

country roads
True Blue Farmgirl

443 Posts

Melissa
Shinglehouse Pa
USA
443 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2009 :  10:49:23 AM  Show Profile
Linda, I really hope mine rises, if not I guess I could try it with well water from my in-laws. Maybe the big grocery store in town would have a different brand of organic flour. I talked to one of my friends and she says they have a whole section of organic there now. I only go there maybe twice a year, its just too big and too expensive.

Take care, Melissa.

Farmgirl # 352

~Think happy thoughts~
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 80 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Bread the MaryJane Way Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page