Page: of 80

ParisKnight
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Kathy
Boston MA
12 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2009 :  3:04:18 PM  Show Profile

Tried this this AM. Came out very good. I used 1/2 cup wheat flour and 1/2 cup white flour. Tomorrow I'm doing the peanut butter cookies.

Banana Nut Quickbread

3 ripe bananas
1 cup starter
1/4 cup oil
1 egg
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup flour
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Mash bananas with a fork
Stir into mashed bananas egg, oil and starter
Mix in salt, baking soda, sugar and flour
Fold walnuts into batter

Pour into greased loaf pan and bake until internal bread temp is around 195 - 200 degrees. Approximately 40 minutes depending on your oven. You may need to cover bread with foil partway through the bake to keep top from burning.
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2009 :  3:37:58 PM  Show Profile
Julie,

I made the Pumpernickel Bread recipe you posted. It is awesome! Next time I am going to try it without onions. My honey loves it toasted with Apple Butter :) Thanks for posting great recipes!

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2009 :  6:10:32 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
LOL That is so funny! One day I fed mine and I came out and I think it was trying to follow me around the house because when I came back it was flowing all down the side of the fridge!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

candela59
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Peggy
White Swan WA
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2009 :  8:05:00 PM  Show Profile  Send candela59 a Yahoo! Message
Made the sourdough pancakes listed here this morning and they were fab! They were so light and fluffy and the taste was great...just a hint of the sourdough flavor to them. Served with some real maple syrup, real butter and some homemade pumpkin butter...yummy! DH asked if we could have them for dinner! Give them a try, you won't be disappointed. Oh, I did make one tiny change to the recipe... I added a teaspoon of pure vanilla extract.

www.thewanderlustgirl.blogspot.com

"Happiness is not having what you want, it is wanting what you have."

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2009 :  07:24:15 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
So Peggy- When's dinner and are farmgirls invited! You breakfast sounds YUMMO!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2009 :  08:42:04 AM  Show Profile
Sharon - I am glad you liked the pumpernickle bread. I loved the flavor the onions added. Perhaps if you want to use apple butter though they may conflict with the sweetness. I am planning to make a farmhouse loaf today. This will be my first attempt since having to restart my starter. I am curious to see if I get a better rise than most got the first week since I used some of my dried starter to get me started. I'll let you all know how it turned out.

Peggy - When I make the waffles I add a little bit of orange extract and then I sprinkle mini chocolate chips on the waffles after they come out of the iron. It is so good. I bet orange extract would be good in the pancakes too!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

candela59
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Peggy
White Swan WA
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2009 :  09:32:12 AM  Show Profile  Send candela59 a Yahoo! Message
Julie~ I will definitely give that a try. I love the essence of orange in baked goods. I'll probably grate some orange peel into the next batch. Thanks for a great idea!

I got a request from Gail for the Pumpkin Butter recipe. I never thought to post it here. I've adapted it for canned pumpkin because I've had such a hard time finding cooking pumpkins. Fresh pumpkin puree would be so yummy though! So, in case anyone else would like to try it here it is:

Pumpkin Apple Butter

Yield:
About 3 cups

Ingredients:
1 (15 oz.) can pumpkin puree
1 cup 100% pure apple juice (I use Simply Apple)
½ cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Method:
Combine all ingredients in a medium (heavy-bottomed) saucepan. Bring up to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 ½ hours; stirring occasionally.

Mixture will become very thick towards the end of the cooking time. It is essential to carefully watch and stir to avoiding scorching the mixture.

Allow to cool in pan about 20 minutes and spoon into clean canning jars or plastic container with a good fitting lid. Butter will keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 months.

Notes:

*This was even better after a few days in the refrigerator.

*Butter would make a great hostess gift.

www.thewanderlustgirl.blogspot.com

"Happiness is not having what you want, it is wanting what you have."

Go to Top of Page

campchic
True Blue Farmgirl

312 Posts

Erin
Nebraska
USA
312 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2009 :  1:27:57 PM  Show Profile
I have been nurturing my mother since we all started this. She has been doing very well, but now she is getting to have a very sour smell. Is this normal? Is there a way to cut the sour down?

Erin

Farmgirl #190
www.concrete-and-grace.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2009 :  2:21:33 PM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
Erin, mine got very sour too at around week 4 & 5. Sour isn't necessarily bad though because it is also what helps to keep the molds away. There are a couple things that I found helped.

1. Really use up that starter! Keeping a lot in reserve in your bowl between bakings seems to add to the sour since it is fermenting in the bowl. It doesn't seem to take much healthy starter to keep things going in the bowl. If you have to, give it away or find recipes to use it in or give freezing or drying a try. This starter seems to be happiest by design if you keep it in smaller quantities.

2. Adding a teaspoon of baking soda to the recipe when you bake also seemed to neutralize some of the sour in mine. It changes the ph level. It worked in bread for me, but I'm not sure if it will effect the texture of some baked goods though. You'll have to experiement.

http://www.myspace.com/lupinelady99
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2009 :  2:41:25 PM  Show Profile
Erin the best thing to do if it is getting really sour is to use it more often. Try doing 2 things this week. Perhaps make pancake mid weeks and bread on the weekend. You should also consider doubleing your feeding a day or two before you bake. Just allow it to rest and get hungry by not feeding it in the 12-24 hours before you mix up your recipe. Good luck!

BTW - my loaf is rising REALLY well I'm gonna give it another hour or so before I bake.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

campchic
True Blue Farmgirl

312 Posts

Erin
Nebraska
USA
312 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2009 :  2:51:48 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the pointers. I will try to do more baking. Have you ever let your bread rise overnight and baked it in the morning?

Erin

Farmgirl #190
www.concrete-and-grace.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2009 :  6:23:34 PM  Show Profile
Erin mixing it and letting it rise overnight is fine. Just keep in mind that the longer you allow the bread to rise the more sour it gets.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2009 :  9:51:08 PM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
Started out today with the farmhouse bread recipe and instead of using all purpose flour completely, played around with substituting 1/2 of organic brown rice flour and 1/2 organic oat flour for 1 cup of the all purpose flour. It made a really nice dough. Then baked the bread as usual. It was a tasty variation. So, play around with whatever flour you can find out there and have fun.

Ended up taking a small portion of the dough since I do small loaves and made bread sticks with the remainder. Topped them with sesame seeds and garlic. After the bread dough was mixed and I took off what I wanted to use for bread sticks, I set that dough aside in a bowl and covered it and let it rest. Then after about an hour I used my hands to roll it out on the counter top. Stopped rolling when they were about the size of an earth worm (sorry but my mind measures in garden language this time of year). Placed them on a cookie sheet and let them rise for about an hour before baking. The trick I had was one pan I had too much butter brushed on it and they sort of fried. Very tasty, although not exactly pretty, LOL! I might try using olive oil or a combo of butter & olive oil next time to see if it brushes on the pans better. You need enough so they don't stick but don't want them to fry either. Don't know how it would work on a stone. Gosh, I have to break down and get a stone!

BTW, got my starter down to about 1 tablespoon after mixing up my bread today (never had it that low before). I took a deep breathe and fed the bowl to start anew. Wow was I nervous about that, but it is starting to bubble so hopefully all is ok. Luckily I do have back up dried and frozen.

Go to Top of Page

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2009 :  10:02:31 PM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
Back on page 32 there is a discussion (Prosserfarmgirl Rene' & Willowcreek Julie)about water that might be timely to those of us that have chlorinated water (village/city water). Now we know that the chemicals are bad for starter, but that it could even cause a problem with the wet towels you cover it with or washing bowls & utensils.

I'm bringing it up again as the weather warms up in areas that have been having winter because I know in my area they seem to turn up the chemicals at the treatment plant as the weather warms and you can smell it. Just wanted people to be aware and to let the newer members be reminded of some great earlier posted advice.

Go to Top of Page

ParisKnight
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Kathy
Boston MA
12 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2009 :  06:48:37 AM  Show Profile
I've been reading a book called Wild Fermentation by Sandor Ellix Katz that some might find interesting. It goes into the history of fermented foods and has lots of recipes for things like saurkraut, yogurt, cheese, wine, bread and more. He makes sourdough the MaryJane way and the book has a number of interesting sourdough recipes. I'm trained in science and history so I love this kind of book.

As an FYI, the author states in his preface that he is a homosexual living with AIDS in a rural commune. I only mention this because a few reviewers on Amazon.com stated that they would not have purchased the book if they had known these facts about the author. If all that is irrelevant to you I think it is worth checking out.
Go to Top of Page

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2009 :  07:48:25 AM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
The soudough gods smiled and my bowl came back to life! This morning it smelled perfect and had that nice "poofy" texture it gets when it is full of bubbles throughout.

So the answer to the question....How low can you go? Really low!

Kathy, sounds like an interesting book. I love that so many here on Mary Jane's forums keep old tradions alive, try to live responsibly, and THEY READ ACTUAL BOOKS! (I hid my soapbox and won't say anything about the FYI).

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2009 :  07:55:32 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That's great Lisa! Mine had gotten down to about a quarter of a cup once plus a bit on the sides and it did come back too. I cringed a bit as well when I saw how little was left but it is amazing how resilient it can be when you need it!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com

Edited by - Alee on Apr 06 2009 07:58:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2009 :  08:25:30 AM  Show Profile
Lisa - You should be fine having just had a tablespoon or so left! Thanks again for the reminder about using chlorinated water.

Kathy - Thanks for the book suggestion. I watched a podcast about wildfermentation saurkraut a few weeks ago and it was neat. I'll look into getting the book. (That is AMAZING that people actually wouldnt by the book because of those reasons. Some people really suprise me!)

UPDATE ON MY BREAD - I baked my bread last night after having used my dried starter to restart last weekend. The loaf is AMAZING! I will post a tutorial later this week about how to dry and reconstitute your starter to be looking for that. PROBABLY on Wednesday or Thursday afternoon.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

amberjsquirrel
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Amber
Norfolk VA
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2009 :  10:01:30 AM  Show Profile
Hello everyone! Although I keep trying, I just don't seem to make a loaf that turns out the way I want it too. My starter is over six weeks old. She lives in a healthy 68 - 72 degrees environment. I'm using Mary Janes flour and distilled water. I feed her a double portion every morning and keep a wet dishcloth on top. She looks great in the bowl, sometimes smelling nice and sour and sometimes like alcohol. I use her twice a week. She rests on the second baking day.

When I make the bread, I stir the flour into the starter in a bowl and it is a gloopy mess. But not soft enough to stir more. My wooden spoon sticks in it, like Mary Janes picture. Should it be more like a ball of dough that holds together? Should I turn it out onto a floured board and work in a little more flour? I put the mess into a warmed cast iron pot or the stone ware mini loaf pan. I put this into the oven that has been warmed up but turned off. I put a pan of boiling water in the bottom to keep it warm in there. I leave it all day. It rises very little. Giving it more time than is in the recipe doesn't seem to help it any. The bread turns out very dense, but edible. It tastes good. But it is not something that I want to make daily sandwiches out of. It is tasty as a side dish to dip in oil. It is just too dense and heavy for eating a whole sandwich.

I wonder if I am asking my sourdough bread to be something it cannot be? Before starting sourdough, I made a no-knead wheat bread that was in Eating Well magazine. You mix up the dough the night before (with active dry yeast) and it rises for 12-18 hours and then you put that into a pan and it rises another hour or so and then you baked it. It's good. It is lighter and kind of spongy in a way. It has more holes, but not so big that mayo comes through, so it is good for sandwiches. But I really want to use my sourdough starter! I do not want to give up. There must be something I can do.

Please help!
Thank you,
Amber

Farmgirl #505
"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries." --A.A. Milne
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2009 :  4:57:52 PM  Show Profile
Amber - in order for your loaf to rise well when you bake bread it needs to be "hungry" when you mix up your loaf. This means that you should not "feed" it for at least 12 hours and preferably 24 hours before you mix up the ingredients.

Secondly - if your dough gets too warm you will kill the yeasts before they get a chance to rise. I would recommend that you NOT preheat the oven and do not add the boiling water while it is rising. If your house is around 70 this is pleanty warm enough to get an adequate rise. In a cold oven with just the oven light should do the trick.

Give these two things a try and then get back to me if it still isn't working and we'll do some more "troubleshooting"!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2009 :  6:00:06 PM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
Amber,

I would like to add one point to what Julie replied. This bread really needs a structure around it to rise tall. If the pan you are using isn't giving you a tall enough loaf, then look for something that has less width and more height to it. I'm not sure why but this dough likes to spread outward rather than upward.

This bread is dense. No way to get around it. It is just the properties of the bread it seems. Don't be afraid to mix the Mary Jane recipes with the Eating Well recipes and see if it meets your expectations or even play with different flours until you get the perfect combo for your taste buds. Share your trials with us because there sure are some smart folks here that are more than willing to help.

Go to Top of Page

amberjsquirrel
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Amber
Norfolk VA
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2009 :  6:13:14 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Julie and Lisa. I will try your suggestions tomorrow. I admire your adventuresome spirit in the kitchen. (Is adventuresome a word? :)

I better go to sleep! Thanks again, Amber

Farmgirl #505
"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries." --A.A. Milne
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2009 :  6:45:49 PM  Show Profile
Lisa - I have not had issues with a dense bread since week one or two. The bread is "firmer" than a typical wonder bread but it has a nice crumb and compares very well with other artisan style sourdoughs I buy in the store.

Amber, lisa is right about the pan you are baking in. If it is too wide it will spread as it rises.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

amberjsquirrel
Farmgirl in Training

27 Posts

Amber
Norfolk VA
USA
27 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2009 :  6:15:23 PM  Show Profile
I definitely had a better rise today resulting in a better crumb. It didn't rise a lot in the pan, but it did in the oven while baking, which is new for me. Now I will experiment with sizes of pans to get my perfect sandwich bread. I used the mini loaf pan today which makes for teeny tiny tea party sandwiches. I think my husband might get laughed at if I make his lunch with those loaves. :)

I think I really did kill the yeast previously. Thanks for all your help. Have a great day!
Amber

Farmgirl #505
Go to Top of Page

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2009 :  12:38:23 AM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
Julie, yes you said it better. It is dense when compared to other styles of bread but it is exactly what artisan breads are supposed to be.

Amber, I'm glad that you are making progress and continue to go after the perfect loaf! When I make my bread it I like these great oven safe stoneware bowls that I have. The one in the set I use for my own bread (enough for 1 person to get through) is about the size of a hearty soup bowl It works better than any of the loaf pans I own to make bread tall enough for toast or a sandwich. You know how I thought to try it that way one week? After seeing the great pics that people have placed on this board. It was seeing all the wonderful things that other people were brave enough to try that made me stop and look in my own kitchen. Can't wait to go to lawn sales & second hand stores over the summer to look for more fun shapes & sizes to try. So, I believe you can continue to be inspired and make wonderful bread that your family will love because it comes from your imagination, love for them, and desire to dream big.

Oh and I thought of all you today while shopping at this absolutely heavenly totally organic market in Vermont! There were so many wonderful choices of flour that it was hard to contain myself (not to mention all the other wonderful things). Imagine a medium sized supermarket and all the departments and a staff to match. My time was very limited as I needed to get to the hospital, but maybe that is just as well because I could have spent the whole day there if left to my own devices. LOL

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 80 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Bread the MaryJane Way Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page