Page: of 80

candela59
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Peggy
White Swan WA
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2009 :  09:16:14 AM  Show Profile  Send candela59 a Yahoo! Message
I've been making my bread in a 2 quart casserole and it has been baking beautifully. The only complaint I have with that is the size. I too want a taller loaf for toast and sandwiches.

I just purchased a 1.5 quart round baking dish from QVC. It is their Temptations line and it is ceramic bake and serve ware that comes in some beautiful patterns. It is virtually non-stick, freezer, microwave and oven safe to 500 degrees.

The only reason I even thought of this is because I own a lovely teapot that they put out. It is funny, I was searching high and low for the perfect "pan" online, thrift shops, cook stores and nada. Then one more as I sipping my tea it was like "duh" they make a whole line of this stuff in a million shapes and sizes. So, that's what I went with. It is coming next week and I'll report back on the performance as to the non-stick factor, crust and of course loaf shape/size.

www.thewanderlustgirl.blogspot.com

"Happiness is not having what you want, it is wanting what you have."

Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2009 :  09:49:21 AM  Show Profile
Great Peggy! there are a variety of vessels that can work well. Everyone just needs to find what works best for them! Can't wait to hear your report. I am working on my directions and photos for dehydrating the starter. I probably wont have it ready to post tonight (another CRAZY week) but I have the day off tomorrow and hope to do it then!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

horsegirl
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Lara
Kalispell MT
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2009 :  9:32:42 PM  Show Profile
just wanted to add my 2 cents...I have been making the bread for a month or so now, every week, and am so loving it! It is sooo good! I tried the cinnamon raisin bread, and ended up adding more honey the next time and it was excellent! Looking forward to trying garlic cloves in it this week.

"I will never leave you nor forsake you"
Hebrews 13:5b
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2009 :  06:39:04 AM  Show Profile
Lara - So glad you have joined us! I'm glad to hear you are having a great experience with the bread. Please continue to post and share your adventures with us!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

nin1952
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Donna
Cedartown GA
USA
269 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2009 :  11:44:17 AM  Show Profile
I love that all of you are having such great success. Me? Well, I have left the bread alone for a little while (never could get it to rise). I'm going to try it again tomorrow. I have, however, made the chocolate oatmeal cookies, blueberry muffins, the blueberry breakfast bread and the dog biscuits. All of these were very good; I can't tell you about the dog biscuits MYSELF but our 2 retrievers,Rose and Wayne, loved them. I'll have to make them every week now. Please pray my loaf comes out well tomorrow.

Live simply; Love generously; Care deeply; Speak kindly...Leave the rest to God
Go to Top of Page

candela59
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Peggy
White Swan WA
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2009 :  4:36:39 PM  Show Profile  Send candela59 a Yahoo! Message
Just want to wish everyone a very happy Easter!!!

Go to Top of Page

LauraBell
True Blue Farmgirl

284 Posts

Laura
Corpus Christi TX
USA
284 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2009 :  4:49:03 PM  Show Profile
Happy Easter Weekend to everyone!

This is my first post but I've been visiting the bread board (ha) for quite a while. I've had my mother for about 6 weeks now and my first few loaves were "artisan" flat breads and not quite what I was expecting. A couple were so sour that it was almost hard to eat. But then last weekend I tried out the brownie recipe and I thought they turned out great. I think I'll be trying the biscuits for our Easter meal and the pancakes for our breakfast.

I've shared the link to the original article with some friends who are also looking forward to getting started.

Just wanted to let you all know how much I've been enjoying your posts, tips and recipes.

Laura
Go to Top of Page

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2009 :  6:34:24 PM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
Today was another success in the kitchen! I started with the Farmhouse loaf recipe from the magazine and used King Arthur Italian Style flour and omitted the honey. My loaf rose really well. The crust is not as thick as it has been with some of the other flours that I have tried, but it is nice and crispy (not hard or too chewy). The bread crumb and flavor were the best by far. Imagine a nice fresh loaf of Italian bread with the hint of tang from the sourdough.

http://www.myspace.com/lupinelady99
Go to Top of Page

urban farm girl
True Blue Farmgirl

80 Posts

Melissa
Posen IL
USA
80 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2009 :  6:36:13 PM  Show Profile
Lara and Laura welcome.....I in the beginning did not have luck at all actually what was it 4 times maybe...but the girls give some awesome recipes and also with the help of Julie, Lisa and other farm girls you will enjoy it. Hey farm girls ROCK...they really do!! So all you Farm Girls have a very Happy Easter!!!
Go to Top of Page

horsegirl
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Lara
Kalispell MT
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2009 :  6:46:38 PM  Show Profile
Where are the recipes for the pancakes and biscuits and such? I would love to try something different. Going to make the regular white bread with whole garlic cloves tomorrow for Easter dinner.

"I will never leave you nor forsake you"
Hebrews 13:5b
Go to Top of Page

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2009 :  10:14:29 PM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
Lara, the bread with the garlic cloves sounds yummy! I've had one from a bakery in town that is my weakness. Let me know how it works out for you. Also will you partially cook the garlic before adding it to the bread or leave the cloves raw?

Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2009 :  06:27:07 AM  Show Profile
Lara here is a recipe index. Enjoy!

Mary Jane’s Bread Article pg. 1

Baked French Toast with Apples and Nuts pg. 12

Pancakes pg. 13

San Francisco Style Bread (Ronna) pg. 13

Old Fashioned Biscuits (celticheart) pg. 17

Pancakes (celticheart) pg. 17

Croutons pg. 18

Waffles pg. 19

Buttermilk Biscuits pg. 27

Whole Wheat Biscuits pg. 27

Basic Biscuits pg. 27

Pizza Crust pg. 32

Bagels pg. 43

English Muffins (Ronna) pg. 45

Carrot Cake pg. 47

Bread Machine White Bread w/ added yeast pg. 49

Pecan/Date Bread pg. 51

Dog Treats pg. 53

Banana Cake (pearlgirl) pg. 54

Honey Wheat Oatmeal Bread (parisknight) pg. 62

Croissant pg. 63

Mary Jane’s Flour pg. 63

Pumpernickel Bread pg. 65

Chocolate Chip Cookies (GailMN) pg. 66

Cake-Like Brownies pg. 67

Sideways Sourdough Fruit Cake (lupinelady99) pg. 67

Sourdough Gingerbread with Lemon Sauce (lupinelady99) pg. 67

Drying Starter (Ronna) pg. 67

Sourdough Bran Bread (lupinelady99) pg. 67

Sourdough Applesauce Cake (lupinelady99) pg. 68

Sourdough Chiffon Cake (lupinelady99) pg. 68

Sourdough Peanut Butter Cookies (lupinelady99) pg. 68

Sourdough Spice Cookies with Maple Frosting (lupinelady99) pg. 68

Sourdough Oatmeal Cookies (lupinelady99) pg. 68

Black Bean and Chipotle Bread (lupinelady99) pg. 68

Seven Grain Cereal Bread (lupinelady99) pg. 68

Sourdough Oatmeal Coconut Cookies (lupinelady99) pg. 68

Sourdough Sugar Cookies (lupinelady99) pg. 68

Sourdough pretzel recipe (lupinelady99) pg. 68

Increasing Starter for more baking pg. 72

Too sour starter discussion/tips pg. 72

Oatmeal Quick Bread pg. 74

Sourdough Blueberry Muffins pg. 76

Blueberry Sourdough Breakfast Bread pg. 76

Chocolate Bread pg. 76

Sourdough Rolled Chocolate Cookies pg. 76

Shelburne Chocolate Waffles pg. 76

Sourdough Hot Cross Buns pg. 77

Tomato Basil Garlic Farmhouse White pg. 77

Adding Starter to recipes (Ronna) pg. 77

Starter Safety (Ronna) pg. 77

Freezing Starter (Mary Jane) pg. 78

Sourdough Peanut Butter Cookies (GailMN) pg. 78

Rocky Mountain Corn Bread pg. 78

Dakota Prairie Muffins pg. 78

Doctor’s Sourdough Bread pg. 78

Sourdough Applesauce Donuts pg. 78

Converting Recipes & Reactivate Starter (Mary Jane) pg. 78

Adding sourdough to non-bread recipes (Willowcreek Julie) pg. 78

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

candela59
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Peggy
White Swan WA
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2009 :  08:45:11 AM  Show Profile  Send candela59 a Yahoo! Message
Good morning ladies!

I'm wondering if anyone has made the Dog Bisquits yet? I just bought a "dog bone" cookie cutter and want to make some treats for Roo-Bug. I remembered seeing the recipe (I have copied it), but can't remember reading any posts about how they turned out...

I have an ample amount of Mum and need to bake several things this week. I thought that would be a good start! Thanks!

Happy Baking!
Peggy

Go to Top of Page

GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2009 :  09:11:00 AM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message
Good Morning Farmgirls - hope everyone had a great Easter - ours was very nice. This morning I made Sourdough Blueberry Muffins. The recipe I used I found on the internet, so it is a little different from the type of recipes we have been using. Here is a picture and the recipe.

1 cup flour (I used the same flour I add to my starter each day)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon soda
1/4 cup sugar
Combine dry ingredients in small bowl. Stir in 1/2 cup of blueberries.

1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup oil (I used canola oil)
1 cup sourdough starter
Combine wet ingredients in medium bowl. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Mix throughly and spoon into muffin cups (I used cupcake liners)and standard size muffin tin. Bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes.

I doubled the recipe, using 1/4 cup splenda and 1/4 cup brown sugar and 2 cups of blueberries instead of 1 (we love blueberries and they are so good for you). This yielded 20 very nice size muffins for me - filled liners almost to the top.

As I said this strays from the type of recipes we have been using, but they sure are goooooood!

Have a great day everyone - spring has finally come to Minnesota!

Gail

Farmgirl Sister #506
A Smile a Day . . .
Go to Top of Page

candela59
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Peggy
White Swan WA
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2009 :  11:03:34 AM  Show Profile  Send candela59 a Yahoo! Message
Gail~ one word "yum!!!"

Go to Top of Page

nin1952
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Donna
Cedartown GA
USA
269 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2009 :  4:31:41 PM  Show Profile
HI Peggy I hope you had a happy Easter. I have made the dog biscuits and our 2 Retrievers loved them. I followed the recipe as written but I would bake them a little longer. My husband said they needed to be a little harder for them. Good luck.

I also tried the Farmhouse White again on Saturday. EUREKA! It came out perfect. And tastes soooooooo good. I think I have found the perfect place for rising (all night in my oven with the light on) and finding a 1 1/2 qt cast iron saucepan it came out perfect. I normally bake during the day on Saturday but we had a very busy day and I didn't have time. I wanted to have a loaf when my daughters came on Sunday. Turns out 1 daughter loves sourdough and the other doesn't. Go figure. Anyway, good luck with the biscuits.
Go to Top of Page

candela59
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Peggy
White Swan WA
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2009 :  4:41:31 PM  Show Profile  Send candela59 a Yahoo! Message
Donna~ Thanks for the feedback. I'll let you know how they turn out.
Glad you had success on Saturday. Isn't it a great feeling to make something so delicious??

Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2009 :  5:12:46 PM  Show Profile
Gail those look great! I have been thinking about trying some blueberry muffins. My project this week is shortcake because it is strawberry season here. I have some catching up to do with recipes and such one here. I haven't even been able to log on very often. Things have gotten so busy. I cant wait til school is out! Only 32 more days and then I can make bread all day every day!!!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2009 :  7:06:27 PM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
Had bread dough rising the best ever today and thought maybe it would end up being a tall loaf. The sourdough was really happy and active, but as soon as that loaf hit the top of the loaf pan it refused to budge any higher and instead spread outward over the sides of the loaf pan making a big mess.

I've played around with kneading it or not kneading it as well as adding some extra yeast or using the recipe straight from the magazine and can't figure it out. Have tried adding a little extra flour for a stiffer dough or a little less flour. This dough just will not rise upward without a structure around it.

I love the bread, and enjoy playing around with the recipes so I keep trying to make a better loaf.

Go to Top of Page

ginnybee
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Ginny
Seattle WA
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2009 :  7:29:26 PM  Show Profile
All my bread-baking experiments thus far have been great! I tried the three sourdough recipes from MJ's Lifebook. 1. The bread (which called for 10 minutes of kneading), came out beeyoutiful, but wasn't any different or better than the no-knead recipes. I'm a long-time baker, and not opposed to kneading, but am happy to know I can save time with a wetter dough like the no-knead Farmhouse recipe. 2. The pancakes were super easy and had a lovely texture, but were very sour. Next time I'll add some baking soda. 3. Biscuits - Divine!
Question: Has anyone had success with using filtered tap water? I'm usually opposed to buying private source water. Our local water is very good, but chlorinated. We have a cheapo (Culligan/Walgreen's) attached-to-the-faucet filter, but I'm not sure if it purifies enough to risk Mom.
Go to Top of Page

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2009 :  7:44:57 PM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
Ginny, I have not tried using tap water yet. I have read some sources that say if you boil the water and/or leave it uncovered overnight in a glass pitcher that the chemicals will not cause problems with the sourdough as they escape (I've also read that in orchid care books as orchids are sensitive to chemicals in water). However, I've been "chicken" to try it with "mother". Maybe I'll try doing that with a 2nd bowl of starter and see if it makes any difference with the starter. Yes, buying water and dragging it around is a pain.

Go to Top of Page

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2009 :  10:33:49 PM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
Well, never underestimate the power of sourdough. I posted earlier that my loaf over-ran the loaf pan when it ran out of sides to climb. I resisted the urge to quit and accept defeat. So, I took the dough out of the pan since it was a mess and wiped out the oven. Kneaded the dough for less than five minutes and stuck it in the crock from my 1.5 quart crock pot and set it in the oven with a dish of warm water. I closed the door and walked away not expecting very much. Well, after two hours I went into the kitchen and took a peek. The dough had risen nearly to the top of the crock. With some restored hope I warmed up the oven and put it in to bake. The result you ask? The best darn loaf of bread yet!

Go to Top of Page

candela59
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Peggy
White Swan WA
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2009 :  08:02:03 AM  Show Profile  Send candela59 a Yahoo! Message
Lisa~ I'll take a slice, toasted with some sweet butter please! That's a gorgeous loaf of bread. I'm still waiting for my 1.5 quart high and narrow baking dish to arrive from QVC. I have high hopes for a taller loaf and after seeing yours I can't wait! Great job. Thanks for always being willing to try something different and sharing.

I get so much from reading everyone's account of their baking experiences. My current casserole does a great job but is too wide; that's why I ordered this one that's more narrow and tall. Mmmmm...I'm hungry now! :)

Go to Top of Page

Mellyb
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Melissa
Oakland CA
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2009 :  08:20:06 AM  Show Profile  Send Mellyb an AOL message
I have a question - I want to attempt the sourdough pretzels today, but am wondering if "proofed batter" as called for in the recipe is just another way of saying "starter"? Is it the same thing or do I need to do something to my starter to make it proofed?

Other than that, I'm on week two of my starter and have made one VERY dense loaf of bread - tasty, but dense. A bunch of miniature (by accident) english muffins, and another slightly more successful loaf. This is SO much fun!

thanks for answering my pretzel question - my GF will be SO happy if there are some soft pretzels waiting when she returns home tonight! Even more points for me if I can manage a cheese sauce that isn't clumpy!!!

so, does proofed batter = starter?

thanks gals!
melissa
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2009 :  08:33:13 AM  Show Profile
Hi Melissa - I would need to see the whole recipe to be sure what it was referring to but I would assume it is referring to a starter that has arleady had an addition of flour and water and been allowed to rise for a time.

I have been working on a pretzel recipes but had to do some more tweaking to it the first time I tried it so I havent posted it yet.

If you can post the recipe here I can let you know for sure.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 80 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Bread the MaryJane Way Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page