petitshoo
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Jennifer
Dayton OH
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2009 :  5:56:15 PM  Show Profile
Hi all! I was curious about that Blueberry Muffin recipe someone posted about. Do you know what page that's on?

And this has probably already been brought up, but how do I store my mother when I go on vacation?

Thanks ahead of time!
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2009 :  4:00:38 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jennifer! The bluberry muffin recipe is on of 76. When you are on vacation youcan cover your starter and store in the fridge. Just be sure to give her a good feeding when you return.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Pamela Joy
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Pamela
Hesperus CO
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2009 :  7:54:56 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone! Hope y'all had a nice holiday weekend.
I made one of the best loaves yet, today. The basic loaf from the original article - I always add rosemary and chopped garlic - yummy!
I have also tried the carrot cake recipe twice. I don't know who wrote it, or what page it is on. It is delicious - especially with the amazing cream cheese frosting. But one problem I have had with the instructions is combining the starter, milk and flour and then adding that to the butter/sugar mixture. The starter, milk and flour clump up and then don't fully integrate with the whole mixture. So i get little (or not so little) white bread-like lumps which stay like that when baking. It's not bad, but interesting, and it's not exactly what I want. Next time I will add the starter to the butter mixture, while creaming it. Then add the milk/flour combo to it. I'll let you know how it goes. But even with the weird clumps, it is still very good and we have been really enjoying it. I am looking forward to when I get it perfect.
Smile!

Peace, Love, and Joy
Go to Top of Page

Pamela Joy
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Pamela
Hesperus CO
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2009 :  8:00:23 PM  Show Profile
Cherian - just noticed you live in Durango. Come say hi to me at Carver's on a Wed, Thurs or Fri morning. I am a breakfast waitress.
Pamela Joy

Peace, Love, and Joy
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2009 :  01:40:10 AM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
Ohhh made my best 2 loaves yet of what my hubby now calls my "garbage" bread...LOL. He calls it that because once I have my starter poured out in my mixing bowl I just start throwin' stuff in it to make the bread. This time around I made one loaf of cinnamon apple raisin and one loaf of mocha. I have to say the mocha is my favorite so far. For anyone who wants to try it. Here's what I can remember of my recipe...LOL. I start with the basic bread recipe but add 1/4 cup cocoa and about 2 tablespoons of instant coffee dissolved in a small amount of hot water. I also added a half cup of brown sugar to the basic bread recipe to start with and a half tablespoon of baking soda. The soda helps the rise as so far I've felt some of my bread has been a bit too dense. I bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://fantasm01.imagekind.com/
http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Farmers Daughter
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

DiAnn

90 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2009 :  05:20:21 AM  Show Profile
Julie~ we live in IL and this past week weather was so wonderful. Actually below normal a bit. Low 80's. But the week before we were in record high temps with such humidity.
We do run the air in the house and keep it on the cooler side.

I really don't know. Guess to be on the safe side and to quit wasting flour and ingredients I will just toss her and start again. Honest she doesn't have any coloring in the bowl. She is a creamy color, have never noticed graying on the starter itself. I change the cloth every week and change the bowl too. When all the other gals were have a bit of trouble with the damp towels, I stopped doing that. Guess that is why she is a bit on the thick side. But didn't want any problems and things were going good.

I'll tell you that bread dough that I had rising. Well when I show it to my hubby he said you better just toss it. Cause it didn't look right on the top. I had it in a glass bread pan. You could see through the sides that were rising and they looked fine but it was the top that was grey. When I dumped it out into a garbage bowl I was working on supper and didn't toss it in the field right away. After supper maybe it was about 2 hour later when I when to take the scraps out. Now the whole pile of dough was turned a light shade of gray. Don't know if that was because the whole thing was now exposed to the air?
I just won't chance it. She is going. Enjoyed her while it lasted and maybe this was her way of saying it's is summer and it's to hot to be turning on the oven and heating up the house to bake bread. I know that is what my mom would say. Definitely will give her a try again in a few months.

I'll still be following the posts and dreaming about those great things you all will be making.
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2009 :  05:48:59 AM  Show Profile
Pamela - Thanks for the compliments on the carrot cake. The recipe is on page 47. I looked it over and noticed I had made one slight omission that mught account for the problem. When you mix the flour, starter and milk you also need to add the carrots plus enough of their cooking liquid to equal 1 cup. This should give you enough liquid. If not - it wouldnt hurt to add a little extra of the the cooking liquid or milk till it gets to the right consistancy. Thanks for pointing that out and sorry about that!

Cheryl - that Mocha bread sounds divine! I'm gonna try that this weekend. I'm gonna add brewed coffee instead though! Cant do that instant stuf! LOL!

DiAnn - I wish I had some better information for you. Even though there are no signs in the bowl it seems as if something is off. I've not experienced this myself so I just dont know what to tell you other than to trust your instincts. Every time I have had issues it has shown up in the bowl. My sister is in Illinois - in Rockton. HAve we discussed that before or was that someone else? Someone lives in Rockford or has family in Rockford. I cant remember! :)

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

KellyA
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

Kelly
Johnsonville NY
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2009 :  1:51:54 PM  Show Profile  Send KellyA an AOL message
WOW!!! I just spent hours reading this thread and copying recipes into my Mastercook file! I took an artisan bread class a few months ago, and have had a very successful mother since that class. I have made bread and pancakes, but my most successful venture was pizza crust. I parbake the shaped dough on parchment paper on my stone (an inverted cookie sheet will work, too) at 500 degrees for exactly 7 minutes. Then I let it cool on a rack and wrap it well in foil. This goes into the freezer, and my 19 year old son takes one out when he is hankering for pizza, lets it sit while he heats the oven, brushes it with olive oil, tops it and bakes it until his toppings are brown and bubbly. I have done as many as 6 at a time for him! Thanks for a great thread, and many new recipes to try!

Kelly
When a cookbook is in hand, life is good!
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2009 :  6:52:53 PM  Show Profile
What a GREAT idea Kelly! Thanks for the tip!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Cindy
Elkhart TX
USA
46 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  1:11:00 PM  Show Profile
Question about cinnamon raisin bread.

My mother is doing GREAT, will be two weeks old tomorrow. My signature below holds the details of what I am using.

I have made two batches of muffins from her, blueberry and blackberry, the cake/brownies and a pizza crust. All have turned out great... until cinnamon raisin bread this morning.

I am wondering if anyone has some ideas for me to do differently, or if I just need to give my mother longer before the bread will do its thing.

I made the cinnamon raisin bread exactly per MJ instructions from the article, made it last night and then put it in my ceramic pot in the oven with light on and let it rise. I had fed mother around 6am yesterday, and didn't do this bread until 9pm last night. Got it out this morning at 7am and then cooked it... it had risen maybe 50% all night.

The pot was just large enough around to accomodate the dough, and give it some height still, which left it lots of room to rise high in it. But it didn't...

When cooked it took 45 minutes to come to temperature and be done. The flavor was excellent, but it was extremely dense and small. the texture was ok, just not great. I cut some thinner slices out of it and hubby and I will toast those for breakfast tomorrow.

I didn't knead it as I wanted the no-knead MJ way - but wasn't sure if the addition of the wheat flour per the MJ article recipe required kneading or not... also not sure if since her recipe was techinically for rolls if it needs to be modified for a true bread.

Thanks in advice for any assistance, I am absolutely LOVING this process that I can do for my hubby and home daily with such little loving effort.

Thanks!

Bread the Mary Janes Way
- started Mother 6/28/09
- Hodgson Mill Organic unbleached flour
- well water w/ reverse osmosis filter
- feeding twice a day to eliminate excess hooch
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  1:25:19 PM  Show Profile
Cindy - I myself have not tried the Cinnamon Raisin bread as I am not a fan of cinnamon. However seeing that your starter is just two weeks it could just be that it hasn't developed its natural yeasts completely. My other suggestion would be to make sure your starter hasnt been fed for about 24 hours before using it for a bread like this.

All of MaryJanes recipes follow the no-knead idea .

I took a look at the recipe and I would make one other suggestion. When adding the salt, add it to the dry flour and add this all after you have added the honey, cinnamon, etc. There are some thoughts out there that salt can neutralize the effects of the natual yeast. If you add it towards the end of mixing it appears to help this.

I'm not sure about the rolls vs. loaf idea. I dont think it would make a huge difference but I will look into it and get back to you.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Cindy
Elkhart TX
USA
46 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  1:35:02 PM  Show Profile
Thanks so much Willow creek!

I'll do the salt with the flour next time, I am used to doing all dry together and all wet together - but am following the recipes religously in order to not cause problems myself.

I'll also wait 24 hours next time... that makes sense. I thought 12 would do it, but I can see how it could not be hungry enough yet.

I was going to do sourdough bread tomorrow but I think I will do another pizza crust tomorrow instead and wait one more week for another loaf of bread... give my mother one more week to develop itself.

I started doing a double feeding about 2/3 through my first week. I was getting tons of hooch, and at first fed twice a day - and after it calmed down I went to just doing a double feeding each morning and mother is soooo happy and busy.

Thanks for all your help! Happy Weekend!

Bread the Mary Janes Way
- started Mother 6/28/09
Go to Top of Page

GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2009 :  3:42:25 PM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message
Wow - page 100 - my first post was on page 54 in Feb when my mother was 5 days old, this has been a fantastic thread, I look forward to page 200. Mother is thriving and producing excellent baked goods weekly.

Gail

Farmgirl Sister #506
Aim high; shoot for the moon and if you miss it, grab a star.
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  03:44:43 AM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
Hi Cindy, I've not had good luck with wheat flour for the rise either. I started my mother with wheat berry flour and it was so dense it made a great brick :( I switched over and began adding unbleached all purpose flour and had better results but I've also added a bit of baking soda to help with the rise. Two nights ago I tried again adding wheat flour to the unbleached starter I had and once again I baked 2 bricks. No more wheat for me. My wheat flour was organic and due to cost issues my unbleached isn't but I've had much better luck and find the taste is more pleasing to my pallet. I've started adding more flour/water at a time and am finding I don't have as much hooch when the starter has more flour to feed on. I don't really worry about the hooch anyway. I figure if that is fermenting flour/water it will cook off any alcohol that might be produced over time and even help with the rise. I've made beer bread before and the beer was the main leavening so thinking hooch won't hurt a thing.

Now for a confession. I committed sacrilege last night. I beat my mother with a wire whip. I'm gonna go to h. e. double toothpicks for sure....LOL

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://fantasm01.imagekind.com/
http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Cindy
Elkhart TX
USA
46 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2009 :  4:55:21 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Tapestry

I've not had good luck with wheat flour for the rise either.

Cheryl,

thanks, I think i will try the cinnamon raisin bread again soon and just use white flour with it... see if that makes a difference.

Everything else is turning out sooooo good, so I am patient for this and willing to keep trying.

Thanks - cindy

Bread the Mary Janes Way
- started Mother 6/28/09
Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Cindy
Elkhart TX
USA
46 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2009 :  07:30:54 AM  Show Profile
My mother is turning really great! Today starts week 3, and in just the last 2 days she has turned into more of the thinner type batter as opposed to the thickish stuff from the beginning. she has been faithful since day one and I haven't had any problems, but I can see the changes starting to take place and do feel that the virtue of patience is definitely a neccesity to a good mother and bread making venture.

She isn't making as much hooch since feeding 2x the recipe each day, although I did start only feeding it all in the morning instead of day and night - and the change seems to make her happy.

I again made the muffins this morning (third time!). I put all the ingredients but berries in, then split the batter in two and did half blueberry for me and half cinnamon raisin for the hubby.

I have increased the sugar in the muffins to 3/4 cup which seems perfect if you like a regularly sweet product, doubled the berries to ensure I get more fruity and generously sized muffins, and add about a tbspn of cinnamon to the dry ingredients for another touch of flavor. I know willowcreek has expressed disfavor with cinnamon, the info I received with a vigourous shake of the head in disbelief, but she must be forgiven on this one flaw to her character as she has been such a great resource for this forum with all the energetic replies and wonderful recipes - I suppose a small defect as this must be overlooked given the depth of the goodness she has shown here....

Bread the Mary Janes Way
- started Mother 6/28/09
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2009 :  07:44:43 AM  Show Profile
Haha! My husband loves cinnamon too! Once a year I cave and make him cinnamon rolls! I don't eat a bite though!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2009 :  09:01:58 AM  Show Profile
Haha! My husband loves cinnamon too! Once a year I cave and make him cinnamon rolls! I don't eat a bite though!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

Pamela Joy
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Pamela
Hesperus CO
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2009 :  4:11:51 PM  Show Profile
Just baked the Mocha Bread - delicious! Try it with cream cheese (we like just about anything with cream cheese on it). Thanks Cheryl. I also think the addition of the baking soda was good. My loaves have typically been yummy but too dense and not quite done in the middle. I will be interested to try the soda with the regular loaves I make.

Peace, Love, and Joy
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2009 :  08:05:29 AM  Show Profile
Mary Janes Cinnamon Raisin bread is to DIE for.I is simple and so tasty I some how forgot to add the cinnamon last time so in the morning I just rolled it out and put the cinnamon on the dough and rolled it back up and let it rest for about an hour and baked it and the crust was crunchy and the insides were light and we ate it all in one setting.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

chessie
True Blue Farmgirl

403 Posts

Karen
Vista CA
USA
403 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2009 :  08:43:10 AM  Show Profile
speaking of cinnamon - I have been experimenting with different cinnamons, & grating/grinding them myself. I will NEVER go back to pre-ground cinnamon! I have amazed everyone who will stay around long enough to taste test w/me, at how naturally sweet some freshly grated "cinnamon" can be. According to a recent issue of cook's country magazine (April 09) "Unless specifically labeled Ceylon, most cinnamon sold in the United States is cassia, not true cinnamon. Both spices are harvested from the inner bark of a tropical evergreen tree, but cassia is more robust & less expensive than cinnamon". This article does not, however, mention Mexican cinnamon which is abundantly available as well. Here's what Al Sicherman, of Star Tribune Minneapolis said in April 98 "Canela, or Mexican cinnamon. As contrasted with what is called cinnamon in U.S. spice racks (which really is cassia, which comes from a related plant), canela is a much more complex flavor. Bags of canela sticks, which are nowhere near as hard and thick as the stick cinnamon in supermarkets, are found with other spices. You can use canela as you would stick cinnamon, to infuse beverages, for example, or grind it and use it in recipes instead of ground cinnamon." SO, now I am collecting cinnamon sticks everywhere I go! It is an obsession... my baking blend of cinnamon these days combines all three kinds, Cinnamon, Cassia & Canela for a rich, fresh, spicy, sweet, cinnamony taste that is UNBEATABLE. And so easy...who knew?

www.edgehillherbfarm.com "where the name is bigger than the farm, but no one seems to mind"
blog http://edgehillherbfarmer.spaces.live.com/default.aspx?wa=wsignin1.0
happy farmgirl #89
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2009 :  08:54:58 AM  Show Profile
I heard this a few years back. I dont minf the TRUE cinnamon but it is IMPOSSIBLE to find!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2009 :  09:55:52 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow Karen! I had never thought to combine the three! Yum! I am going to have to try that!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

chessie
True Blue Farmgirl

403 Posts

Karen
Vista CA
USA
403 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2009 :  10:11:47 AM  Show Profile
julie, (We are farmgirl friends & we've never met, so nothing is impossible to find anymore...) Here is the company I currently purchase from -The Spice Merchant, located in Temecula, CA & they sell online (Company also has stores in Michigan & Arizona) - Cinnamon Stick True - Zeylanicum (Ceylon) "Our true, Zeylanicum cinnamom sticks are very delicate, pale in color and have an appearance of rolled-up dried paper. They have a slight citrus flavor and are commonly used in sweet dishes and cakes. Zeylanicum cinnamon sticks blends well in dishes that are somewhat smooth and nonpowering in flavors such as custards, icecream, pudding, whipped cream and fruit stews."
https://secure.spicemerchants.biz/sm/products/details/911

www.edgehillherbfarm.com "where the name is bigger than the farm, but no one seems to mind"
blog http://edgehillherbfarmer.spaces.live.com/default.aspx?wa=wsignin1.0
happy farmgirl #89
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2009 :  2:04:41 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Karen!