txbikergirl
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Cindy
Elkhart TX
USA
46 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2009 :  7:27:26 PM  Show Profile
I made another batch of muffins today, it has become my Saturday ritual. Today I made strawberry muffins as I picked up some nice and ripe strawberries on Thursday. I am eating one for breakfast each morning all week, in place of my previous breakfast bar or granola bar I used to eat.

I use the blueberry muffin recipe, but I always add about 1.5 cups of whatever fruit I am using - this makes them really bursting with fruit, and extends the batch to a dozen regular muffins easy. I also add 3/4 cup sugar to make them sweet, and always add in a teaspoon or so of cinnamon - just because I like it!

I cut up the strawberries as if I was making strawberry shortcake - so not too big or small. this recipe has not failed me with substituting any fruit, and the only time I had to modify further was when making cinnamon raisin muffins in that if I don't add more moisture they were much too dry and dense - so 1 cup of chunky appleasauce to the cinnamon raisin muffins made them apple cinnamon raisin, moist and lovely!

Bread the Mary Janes Way
- started Mother 6/28/09
- Hodgson Mill Organic unbleached flour
- well water w/ reverse osmosis filter
- feeding twice a day to eliminate excess hooch
Go to Top of Page

Mikki
True Blue Farmgirl

1510 Posts

Mikki
Austin Indiana
USA
1510 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2009 :  12:14:16 AM  Show Profile
I have tried and tried to find how to put my mother to bed due to vacation ect. Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks for any info.

~~Blessings, Mikki Jo

"Courage is being scared to death... but saddling up anyway" ***John Wayne

http://main.acsevents.org/goto/iloveyoumom

http://burningmeadowsprings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Nigella
True Blue Farmgirl

386 Posts

Nigella
Chimacum WA
USA
386 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  11:38:14 AM  Show Profile
Mikki, I've never tried Maryjane's mother but I do have a sourdough starter at home. I know that regardless of popular belief you can freeze your sourdough starter without any problems. If, after thawing starter on the counter it doesn't pop right back to life you can just 'sweeten the pot' by removing all but about a Tbsp of starter and replacing the amount removed with equal parts flour and water. Your starter should be good as new in about 24 hours. Again though I'm not sure if this mother is the same thing or not....
Go to Top of Page

Pamela Joy
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Pamela
Hesperus CO
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  2:53:03 PM  Show Profile
I did freeze my MaryJane starter last month, for three weeks. The day after baking/resting day, rather than add to her, I put her in a corningware covered dish, wrapped the whole thing tightly with plastic wrap and put her in the freezer. When she came out, I let her warm up overnight, and then began to add to her again the next day. She was extra, extra bubbly after the first couple post-freeze feedings, but other than that,she as just the same as always. Also, the other day, I put her in the fridge for two days, while we went camping. After warming her up, I started adding again the next day, and added one extra time to make up for the full day she missed feeding.
Good luck!

Peace, Love, and Joy
Go to Top of Page

Mikki
True Blue Farmgirl

1510 Posts

Mikki
Austin Indiana
USA
1510 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2009 :  6:34:24 PM  Show Profile
Thanks so much! I'll try it!

~~Blessings, Mikki Jo

Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  10:29:18 AM  Show Profile
Hey Mikki! Sorry I didnt get back to you. We were on vacation and I didnt have internet access. Pamelas suggestion will work fine. I have also stored mine in the fridge for shorter periods of time. Good luck and hope you have a nivce vacation.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Annabel
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Anna
Malvern PA
22 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  4:41:44 PM  Show Profile
I've got my starter made and can't wait to make the sour dough bread tomorrow. It took a bit longer than a week for it to be really yeasty. Did anyone else have this issue? Also, sourdough pancakes are in order for the weekend. I just got my back issues so I'll definitely try the MJ way!
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jul 24 2009 :  4:50:03 PM  Show Profile
Hi Anna! Welcome. Yes - for most of us it took a few weeks til it got yeasty enough to get a good rise! Good luck!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2009 :  2:14:47 PM  Show Profile
I'm going to try to ask this question again. I never got any response after several days. I tried to get a starter going a few weeks ago. But it never bubbled or anything. It smelled like paste. I used the KA organic flour but used filtered well water this time. I keep my house at 75. Is that just too warm to get one started now?? Should I just wait til Fall?

Thanks, Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2009 :  5:22:39 PM  Show Profile
Hey Kris. So sorry I missed your question. How long did you have the starter? Mine didn't really seem to bubble a lot until the second week. Even then it doesn't "bubble" all day. It seemed more active for about the first hour after feeding. Also the bubbling appears just as tiny littl holes in the surface. You won't really see bubbles popping or anything. It sounds as if you are doing everything right. Perhaps you just didn't give it enough time.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2009 :  8:07:12 PM  Show Profile
I have made it before and had good luck with it right away. But it was cooler. I also put it in my middle room where it is a little cooler. I thought maybe there just wasn't enough yeasty stuff floating around.

I tried it twice so far again. It still smelled like a lump od flour and water glue.

Thanks, Julie. I will try one more time.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Cindy
Elkhart TX
USA
46 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2009 :  8:28:53 PM  Show Profile
Patience pays - first sourdough loaf at one month!

My mother is now officially one month old. I took the opportunity to try my first sourdough loaf today. Turned out GREAT! She rose 3 times her size in about 7 hours, even though my dearest hubby turned off my oven light about half way through because he thought I accidentally left it on.

Cooked for 30 minutes, perfectly cooked throughout. Wonderful texture, taste, etc. Add a bit of butter and ... amazing!

The most wonderful part of all of this is that my 3 nieces were here, they arrived last night for a week of summer fun with their auntie. My 12 year old niece got up early with me and helped take out the mother, feed mother more and then make the bread with me. The other two (17 and 14) were around when we finally baked the loaf and ate it this evening... they were so impressed. it is a wonderful thing for teenagers to realize they can bake this wonderful bread with such little effort - nowdays all they know how is to get something at the store. my 17 went off to bed this evening and snuck in a facebook post to tell everyone of the amazing bread!

It was such a great moment to sit around the table this evening munching on such delicious homemade bread, topped with a bit of butter and all of us so enjoying it and each others company. I know they will remember this moment forever, and I even joked that in 40 years when I finally pass one of them will have to be on the first plane out to ensure that they rescue the ongoing mother so they can all take a part home and keep it going for another 50 years.

Thanks Mary Jane.

Bread the Mary Janes Way
- started Mother 6/28/09
- feeding twice a day to eliminate excess hooch
Go to Top of Page

Mikki
True Blue Farmgirl

1510 Posts

Mikki
Austin Indiana
USA
1510 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  9:17:19 PM  Show Profile
My cast iron pot is 8 inches in diameter, do you think this is too big?

~~Blessings, Mikki Jo

Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2009 :  10:08:39 PM  Show Profile
You will likely get a much flatter loaf. You may also need to watch the ciooking time more carfully.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Cindy
Elkhart TX
USA
46 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2009 :  2:53:13 PM  Show Profile
more muffin magic

I just wanted to add that my standard muffin recipe now is to use the one provided, but change it to 2/3 cup splenda baking sugar (half sugar, half splenda) and to add 1 pint fresh blueberries (one of those medium containers from the store)... and of course some cinnamon.

this makes 12 beautiful big nice muffins, brimming with fresh berries and very filling for a healthy start to the day.

Bread the Mary Jane Way
- started Mother 6/28/09
- feeding twice as much once a day to eliminate excess hooch
- first sourdough loaf 7/25/09 - GREAT!
- using KA bread flour for loafs
Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Cindy
Elkhart TX
USA
46 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2009 :  2:59:16 PM  Show Profile
Caloric information - wonderful surprise!

Because some of us have to watch calories (or should i say we watch our health - so we make sure how much we move matches up with how much we consume)... i used a recipe builder to come up with some caloric info.

I was so pleased to find that feeding myself these healthy products with all natural ingredients is equal to or less than all the store bought stuff... so healthier all around.

My muffins are coming in at 195 calories each, only 47 cal of fat in that and only 4% of the DV of sat fat recommended.

The sourdough farm house loaf is coming in at 1656 calories for the WHOLE loaf. If I cut it into 10 generous slices, that is just 166 cal each, with only 4 of those cal being fat and 0% cholestoral.

So I have incorporated this into my daily life... and instead of just adding this healthy stuff to what i was already eating, it is now replacing all the store bought breakfast/granola bars and bread and becoming my daily consumption... adding it to fresh fruits and veggies is just making EVERY meal a luxury. Just another reminder that it is soooo the simple things that make life worth living.

Bread the Mary Jane Way
- started Mother 6/28/09
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Aug 09 2009 :  3:56:03 PM  Show Profile
So glad you are enjoying this cindy! I've got my started up and going again after it took a break in the freEzer while we were on vacation. I'll be baking with her later this week!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

Pamela Joy
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Pamela
Hesperus CO
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  4:09:18 PM  Show Profile
May I please have a reminder of what page the "recipe index" is on? I copied a few recipes and then lent them to a friend. I need one sooner than I can get my cards back.
Thanks!!

Peace, Love, and Joy
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  5:50:57 PM  Show Profile
I know there is one on page 79 although there have been recipes added since then. I will work on an update list and get that posted in the next day or so.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog

Edited by - willowtreecreek on Aug 10 2009 5:52:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

Pamela Joy
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Pamela
Hesperus CO
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2009 :  8:00:42 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Julie! You rock!!!

Peace, Love, and Joy
Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Cindy
Elkhart TX
USA
46 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  4:59:40 PM  Show Profile
wonderful pizza crust!

i was using the pizza recipe and was getting GOOD pizza, but not GREAT - as i would expect from all this handmade goodness i am turning out.

after looking on the internet, i found some tips and tricks that have helped me finally achieve that GREAT crust:
- when mixing, put everything together except about 1/3 the flour and all the salt. mix everything else together and let sit for 20-30 minutes.
- then add leftover flour and the salt and mix it all together.
- then knead for 5-10 minutes. i can only last 5 minutes, but it makes a HUGE difference in the feel of the crust.
- let rise 2-3 hours

all of this has taken my pizza crust to AMAZING and GREAT and we are now having a weekly pizza night.

i know the bread is all no-knead, but the pizza crust for me just needed it to really get its act together.

Bread the Mary Jane Way
- started Mother 6/28/09
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2009 :  8:17:08 PM  Show Profile
Cindy - were you using my crust recipe from of 32? Let me know cause I'd love to try out yor suggestions and update the recipe if needed.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Cindy
Elkhart TX
USA
46 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  5:11:37 PM  Show Profile
Willowcreek,

Yes, I was using your great recipe. I think the biggest difference is the kneading as the feel of the dough totally changed... but the rising assisted alot too as it really feels different in my hands after that too. When I didn't knead or let rise I just didn't get the dough mixed up well and so i think that affected my crust.

However, my first crust done per your instructions TASTED great - just the texture was a bit flat and didn't really puff at all when cooked. Now the taste is still great, but the texture of the crust is also great!

I love your recipe though, and given different locations and humidity and weather (and my crummy mixing skills) it could just be me. But I do everything else per your instructions, and the par baking is just perfect as I may make a few to toss in the refrig for later this week.

Thanks for everything - your recipes have really boosted this whole experience to the "amazing" level for me.

Bread the Mary Jane Way
- started Mother 6/28/09
Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Cindy
Elkhart TX
USA
46 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  5:19:06 PM  Show Profile
I made the Honey Wheat Oat bread shown on page 62 - wonderful!

I mixed it up last night and let it rise in the oven while we slept. I am also doing this for my sourdough as well. because then before I take the dogs out in the AM i can just move the bread to the counter, turn on the oven to preheat, and when i am back from our morning walk i can pop that bread into the oven. 30 minutes or so later we have fresh bread to start the day, right about the time the coffee is ready and i have finished doing a few kitchen chores.

This dough rose twice its original size, i made it in a traditional loaf pan so it was just the perfect size of the loaf pan after rising. The top was flat and got a bit dark, so dark i thought it was burnt... but it wasn't, it was just done perfectly with a bit of crusty bit to the top but not too much. took 37 minutes to reach 195.

The honey can be tasted in this bread and it is great, and the texture was soft and nice, just perfect. A dense bread like home made breads are, but light enough to do sandwiches and toast for my hubby. and i had another piece for lunch that i toasted and put jam on - yummy! and another piece with butter for dinner with my salad - double yummy!

thanks for the great recipes everyone!

Bread the Mary Jane Way
- started Mother 6/28/09
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2009 :  6:41:01 PM  Show Profile
Cindy I am gonna try it would your instruction changes! My old pizza dough recipe requires a 2 hour rise but I can never wait that long! I shall report back. It might be a week though before I make it. School is starting back and there are some other things going on right now.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 80 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Bread the MaryJane Way Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page