kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2009 :  7:45:07 PM  Show Profile
This could be why my starter wouldn't take off. I have been overrun with fruit fly-knats so I have not been keeping any fruit out in the kitchen. So this makes me think that's why there is no natural yeast in here. That is amazing. I have also been reading in Nourishing Traditions about the grape starter. I am going to try that. Wow. I had read this before but totally forgot about the grapes having all that yeast on them.

Thanks for reminding me, Sheryl-lyn.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

HeatherAnn
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Rancho Cucamonga CA
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2009 :  3:53:26 PM  Show Profile
so i didn't wet the towel that covered my mother yesterday. and today there are little bits of blue furry mold but only on the dry stuff up above the starter on the edge of my bowl.

do i throw the whole thing out? or can I use a cup or so to start over?

Heather Ann
Apartment Farmgirl

"You got to look at all the good on one side and all the bad on the other and say 'Well, alright then.'" - Aunt Eller, Oklahoma

www.plumblossomknits.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

HeatherAnn
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Rancho Cucamonga CA
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2009 :  3:54:48 PM  Show Profile
oh yes and i need to mention that the actual starter, not the dry bits on the edges where the mold is, looks and smells just fine.

Heather Ann
Apartment Farmgirl

"You got to look at all the good on one side and all the bad on the other and say 'Well, alright then.'" - Aunt Eller, Oklahoma

Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2009 :  6:52:13 PM  Show Profile
It's up to you but...I have carefully scooped out all my starter before and placed it in a clean bowl when this has happened and I'm still alive!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2009 :  08:04:59 AM  Show Profile
>>>>"I am going to give the mother recipe one more try and I was wondering if I can use distilled water? I have no idea if distilled and purified water are the same things or not! Thanks, Tammy (Farmmom22)"<<<<

Hi Tammy - I am going to post the answer here and in the bread thread because others might be interested as well. Feel free to join us over there!

Distilled water is boiled until it steams. The STEAM is collected and when it returns to its liquid state it is collected. Minerals and other impurities are too heavy to collect with the steam. It is a method of purification.

Purified water is typically Filtered water. Often the water is filtered through a charcoal filter where the large particals can not pass through. Sometimes purified water is "purified" using UV light.

Distilled water is likely the cleanest bottled water available and would be a great choice when you dont want minerals, elements and other things effecting what you are working with.

I used distilled water with my starter.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2009 :  2:02:25 PM  Show Profile
FROM FARMMOM22: Thanks girls! I've got Hodgson Mill's organic naturally white unbleached flour. Do you think that will be okay? Or is there a better flour that I should get? The last time I tried to make the mother it molded, so I'm not sure what I did wrong. I used purified water the first time so maybe the distilled water will work better.

Tammy - I have been using MaryJanes flour an it is absolutly wonderful. You can purchase it here http://shopping.maryjanesfarm.org/s.nl/it.A/id.1891/.f I have been nothing but pleased with this flours.

Others have used the hodgson mills, king arthur and even the gold medal brand with fair results while others have seen not so good results. Really it seems to vary from batch to batch with the store bought brands.

As for mold, the hot humidity of the south is something that they really dont have to deal with up in Washington and Idaho so we have to consider some other things. I try to keep mine around 75 degrees. When it gets really hot and humid I pop it in the fridge to help prevent mold. It is crucial to cover with a towel and if you are wetting your towel change it frequently and wet it with the same water source you are using to feed your starter. Keep her active to prevent mold. Feed smaller amounts twice a day instead of just once. Someone else mentioned that they used a bowl with a narrower opening so the less of the starter was exposed to the surface. If you read through these topics you will find lots of helpful tips to dealing with mold.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

farmmom22
True Blue Farmgirl

616 Posts

Tammy
Scottsville KY
USA
616 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2009 :  6:16:59 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Julie! I'm gonna give it one more try with the flour I already have but if this fails then I think it could be safe to say the flour may be the problem. I was wetting my towel but I used tap water so that could have been the problem! And I think I will try the fridge as well. I'm so glad you could answer all my questions! Thanks so much!!!

http://afarmgirljourney.blogspot.com/
Farmgirl Sister #492

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. -Carl Bard
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2009 :  7:25:55 PM  Show Profile
There is an old saying "make do or do without". I love Maryjanes flour and higly recommend it but at the same time flour shouldn't be a deciding factor in wether you make bread or not. If you've got hodgson mills onjand by all means use it. I am certain she will do GREAT!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2009 :  8:27:15 PM  Show Profile
Sheryl-lyn most fresh fruit especially apples produce Ethylene gas that will cause other fruit and veggies to ripen to fast and spoil. I almost ruined my moms starter once by sitting a bowl of apples next to it when I was going to bake a pie. She is gone now so I can't ask but I don't think she knew it was a gas being produced only that some things just happened with certain fruits around. She taught me to put an apple in the bag of hard avocado's to ripen them in a day and never put apples around the bananas or they would turn black really fast. That may have had something to do with your bubbles also.

Smiles, Melody June

God's gift to you are your talents, your gift to Him is how you use them.
Go to Top of Page

HeatherAnn
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Rancho Cucamonga CA
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2009 :  3:06:38 PM  Show Profile
my third bread expirement is cooling right now! I'm having so much fun getting the hang of making bread the old fashioned way. Today I only had a little over a cup of mother going, so I used one cup mother, 2.5 cups flour, a bit of salt, some water to get it to the right consistency since I was short a whole cup of mother and then about 1.5 tablespoons total of fancy italian spices including basil and sun dried tomatoes. boy am I excited to try this! my house smells UH-mazing! I just love understand how things work, like knitting and sewing and cooking different dishes to just be able to go at it, from scratch, without a recipe, and have fun! woo hoo! I'll be sure to let you gals know how this experiment tastes!

things I'll do differently next time: wont use tap water. I was a total space cadet and just poured in our uber-chlorinated tap water which I know totally affected my rise and my little yeasts. I'll also use the 2 cups of starter next time, because I love that wonderful sour dough flavor.

ok, I'm going to use my will power and NOT eat the bread before it's cool enough not to burn me... it's gunna be hard though.

Heather Ann
Apartment Farmgirl

Go to Top of Page

Cabinprincess
True Blue Farmgirl

682 Posts

Melody June
Athens TX
USA
682 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2009 :  3:23:48 PM  Show Profile
I smell it all the way over here, and it smells wonderful. I've learned I have to make 2 loaves everytime. I barely get them out of the oven and my guys have one torn apart and smothered with butter and honey. I can't wait for you to tell us what it tastes like with tomatoes in it.
Watch out or my guys will get to yours also! LOL

Smiles, Melody June

God's gift to you are your talents, your gift to Him is how you use them.
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2009 :  4:39:31 PM  Show Profile
Sounds delicious!!! I have been giving away a lot of things. My husband isnt a huge sourdough fan and I can only eat about half a loaf in a week. The teachers at school love going into the lounge to see what goodie I have brought!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

HeatherAnn
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Rancho Cucamonga CA
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2009 :  6:28:06 PM  Show Profile
well it did rise and was a great consistence, nice and springy, kinda sponge like, but much denser. But the spices didn't really take to the flavor :(. Ah well, I have my whole life to perfect it. Today begins another week and another loaf! I'm excited to try again. And I must say, I do love telling people the ingredients are water, flour and salt! So fun! the looks on their faces are so worth it. then I explain the fermenting yeast on my countertop and they start to get it.

in a couple of weeks I'm going to start my search for a 2 quart cast iron sauce pan. I'm excited to try cooking in that!

Heather Ann
Apartment Farmgirl

Go to Top of Page

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2009 :  11:55:08 PM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
Note to self (AGAIN): Don't feed the starter and leave the house...

The story starts with a near disaster with my starter a couple weeks ago. It got forgotten when I had too many home improvement projects on my plate at one time and I forgot to put it into the fridge. Some of us crazy type A people never learn that we can't do it all! It hooched like crazy and then got a slight bit of mold on the edge of the jar. Well, took a gamble and tossed most of it and retained just a teaspoon of the old starter from near the bottom of the jar. Started with a clean jar and the retained starter. So back to caring for it I went. The weather has been in the 70s and humid this week and it just took off and went wild! I'd never seen it so active as it was when it came back after the near disaster! Tonight I fed it real quick before dashing out the door to do a couple errands only to come home about an hour later to find it looking like something from a bad B Sci-Fi movie from the 50s hit my kitchen. Yup, you guessed it the starter was so active that it was 5 times the size it was to start with and had gone out of the jars...all over the counter...down the cupboards...into the sink...and across the kitchen floor! My poor 10 year old basset hound did her part to help me clean it up by licking up what she could from the floor and cupboards...wished i'd have taken photos of her with it all over her head, face and ears! It was dripping on her head while she was trying to help until finally even she gave up!

So...maybe this time I'll learn? Don't leave the freshly fed starter home alone! LOL Can't wait to see it work in recipes.

http://www.myspace.com/lupinelady99
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2009 :  08:32:08 AM  Show Profile
Lisa it sounds like the bowl you are using may be too small. I would suggest getting a larger bowl. Also in the future I would not reccommend allowing your dog to lick the starter. Dogs can get bloated really easy and especially with such an active starter their could be expansion inside the stomach causeing the dog to get sick!

That being said it sounds like your starter is super active and should be GREAT in some recipes. I'd give some french bread a try. They seem to come out best when the starter is really active! Let us know!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2009 :  08:33:12 AM  Show Profile
HERE is the new index. I will try to keep this posted every 5 pages (I will post again on 105, 110, 115 etc).

Please note that MaryJanes Method DOES NOT call for the addition of yeast. Her concept is meant to be a pure bread using only NATURALLY developed yeasts. Several recipes in this list do include the addition of commercial yeasts. We appreciate our readers who have submitted these recipes and encourage you to try them if you like however, if you wish to follow the "MaryJane Way" you will want to allow your starter to develop its natural yeasts (which can sometimes take several weeks) and avoid adding commercial yeasts to your breads. If you are having difficulty getting a good rise, allow your starter to mature for several weeks. It has also been suggested than any salt be mixed thuroughly with the flour to be added rather than being added directly to the stater! Good luck and ENJOY!

Mary Jane’s Bread Article pg. 1

Baked French Toast with Apples and Nuts pg. 12

Pancakes pg. 13

San Francisco Style Bread (Ronna) pg. 13

Old Fashioned Biscuits (celticheart) pg. 17

Pancakes (celticheart) pg. 17

Croutons pg. 18

Waffles pg. 19

Buttermilk Biscuits pg. 27

Whole Wheat Biscuits pg. 27

Basic Biscuits pg. 27

Pizza Crust pg. 32

Bagels pg. 43

English Muffins (Ronna) pg. 45

Carrot Cake pg. 47

Bread Machine White Bread w/ added yeast pg. 49

Pecan/Date Bread pg. 51

Dog Treats pg. 53

Banana Cake (pearlgirl) pg. 54

Honey Wheat Oatmeal Bread (parisknight) pg. 62

Croissant pg. 63

Mary Jane’s Flour pg. 63

Pumpernickel Bread pg. 65

Chocolate Chip Cookies (GailMN) pg. 66

Cake-Like Brownies pg. 67

Sideways Sourdough Fruit Cake (lupinelady99) pg. 67

Sourdough Gingerbread with Lemon Sauce (lupinelady99) pg. 67

Drying Starter (Ronna) pg. 67

Sourdough Bran Bread (lupinelady99) pg. 67

Sourdough Applesauce Cake (lupinelady99) pg. 68

Sourdough Chiffon Cake (lupinelady99) pg. 68

Sourdough Peanut Butter Cookies (lupinelady99) pg. 68

Sourdough Spice Cookies with Maple Frosting (lupinelady99) pg. 68

Sourdough Oatmeal Cookies (lupinelady99) pg. 68

Black Bean and Chipotle Bread (lupinelady99) pg. 68

Seven Grain Cereal Bread (lupinelady99) pg. 68

Sourdough Oatmeal Coconut Cookies (lupinelady99) pg. 68

Sourdough Sugar Cookies (lupinelady99) pg. 68

Sourdough pretzel recipe (lupinelady99) pg. 68

Increasing Starter for more baking pg. 72

Too sour starter discussion/tips pg. 72

Oatmeal Quick Bread pg. 74

Sourdough Blueberry Muffins pg. 76

Blueberry Sourdough Breakfast Bread pg. 76

Chocolate Bread pg. 76

Sourdough Rolled Chocolate Cookies pg. 76

Shelburne Chocolate Waffles pg. 76

Sourdough Hot Cross Buns pg. 77

Tomato Basil Garlic Farmhouse White pg. 77

Adding Starter to recipes (Ronna) pg. 77

Starter Safety (Ronna) pg. 77

Freezing Starter (Mary Jane) pg. 78

Sourdough Peanut Butter Cookies (GailMN) pg. 78

Rocky Mountain Corn Bread pg. 78

Dakota Prairie Muffins pg. 78

Doctor’s Sourdough Bread pg. 78

Sourdough Applesauce Donuts pg. 78

Converting Recipes & Reactivate Starter (Mary Jane) pg. 78

Adding sourdough to non-bread recipes (Willowcreek Julie) pg. 78

Sourdough Pasta pg. 79

Banana Nut Quickbread pg. 81

Pumpkin Apple Butter pg. 81 (Not sourdough but good ON sourdough!)

Blueberry Muffins pg. 83

Banana Bread (LauraBell) pg. 85

Zucchini Bread (candela59) pg. 85

Butterscotch Brownies pg. 86

Gramadinah’s Bread pg. 89

Dried Cherry – Pecan pg. 91

Lemon-Lavender (or Orange) pg. 91

Lemon – Rosemary pg. 91

MultiGrain and Seed pg. 91

Nut pg. 91

Raisin – Rosemary pg. 91

Olive – Rosemary pg. 91

Potato – Rye pg. 91

Sourdough Pretzles (Mary Jane and Julie) pg. 93

Molasses Bars pg. 94

SourJack Pancakes pg. 95

Georgiaberry’s Bread pg. 96

Peach Blueberry Cobbler pg. 98

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2009 :  10:20:28 AM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
Julie, thanks for the info and sharing the laugh. I'll have to give french bread a try!

Luckily at 10, Sweet Emma Rose doesn't have the drive to follow through for very long (Thankfully the youngsters were outside). She licked some but got bored with it pretty quickly and really ended up with much more on her than in her with the huge ears, jowls and floppy skin. It was just one of those moments that you wished you'd captured in pictures to share the laugh because honestly it was a laugh or cry moment, so when in doubt you laugh.

The two super-sized canning jars that I was using had plenty of room for a normal feed when the starter is behaving as usual. Hopefully soon I can switch back to a bowl with less bugs flying about in the cooler weather! It might have been "Murphy's Law" at work. You know the starter will go into super mode when...you aren't there to prevent a big mess, lol. I'll have to try your suggestion and try a loaf of French bread while it is so happy.

Go to Top of Page

lupinelady99
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Lisa
Massena New York
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2009 :  3:15:28 PM  Show Profile  Send lupinelady99 an ICQ Message  Click to see lupinelady99's MSN Messenger address
Julie, you are such a genius! Sometimes I wonder how I ever cooked without the Internet, Mary Jane's web pages and all of you here on the list.

Julie's suggestion of french bread triggered my memory that I had bought a small section of drinking water quality pipe last spring wanting to see if I could use it to make baguettes and the smaller french style loaves. Whenever I tried to do them free-form they would spread outward but never upward at all. So, with the pipe I sliced it in half (made sure that the cuts were filed down so no splinters could come off). Then sterilized it well, and ran it through the dishwasher a few times (and put it away...forgetting about it for the summer...lol).

So, I mix up my dough. I lined the half-pipe with parchment paper and rolled out the dough into the set up. The dough doesn't touch the pipe at any point, just the paper. I also do not heat the pipes at all, they are only for the rising period to give side support. Let it rise for 2 hours and had gorgeous little loaves that looked like they came from a bakery! It rose the best ever with my starter in it's current overdrive mode. Then before baking, I slid the parchment paper out of the makeshift holders and onto a cookie sheet. The loaves held the shape really well. I know that there are actually pans out there to do this type of baking, but last year I wasn't sure that I would be doing this often enough to spend the money on the "real pans".

Next time I'll put a little less dough in and allow a bit more room and time on the rise just to see how that goes. I think that they would have poofed up even better with a little less dough and a little more time.

Thanks again Julie!

Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2009 :  6:29:25 PM  Show Profile
WOW Lisa! Sounds so wonderful! I would love to see pictures of your pipe setup! Sounds ingenious! Glad you are having fun with it!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

butterflykisses
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Sherri
Clermont Fl
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2009 :  07:54:46 AM  Show Profile
I have a question I started my starter last week an did my daily rituals on some days it seems really bubbly and on some it seems a lil watery. I tried to bake some yesterday did not see too much rise, but when it came out it reminded me of a hockey puck it was really heavy is this right? It was not springy. I've tried to read allllll the way back but a lil confused.

Thanks

we shape our lives not by what we carry, but what we leave behind
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2009 :  08:13:12 AM  Show Profile
Hi Sherri! Thanks for your question. This seems to be what happened with many of the girls. It seems that some climates and some types of flours may cause a slower development of natural yeasts. Many had what you described as "hockey pucks" the first few weeks. I dont believe anything is wrong with your starter it likely just needs a little more TLC until it gets going. I have reccommended in the past that perhaps you try recipes that dont really require a large rise for the first couple of weeks. Things like pancakes, waffles, carrot cakes etc. Take a look at the recipe list a little further up on this page. Then when your starter has had a chance to develop you can move onto breads and biscuits. I personally try to avoid the recipes that have added yeast in them.

Starters are moody and will bubble more on somedays than others. The liquid forming may be hooch. This can be taken care of by feeding smaller amounts twice a day. Once your starter gets more developed hooch isnt much of an issue.

This thread is full of information but at 105 pages it can be overwhelming! Feel free to post any questions you have. I dont mind answering them again! So glad you have joined the group and I look forward to getting to know you!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2009 :  4:23:56 PM  Show Profile
I also just pour off the hooch if I want a milder sour dough. I made a tomato rosemary loaf and a 7 grain wheat today too. I just love this bread making.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2009 :  1:01:26 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
this that time of year to get out the old bread recipes.... wanted to bump this back up as I KNOW girls are going to want to re-read this before hitting the dough again. :)

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJanesFarm made us SISTERS :)

Rene'Groom~
Sisterhood Coordinator

Farmgirl Sister #185
www.MaryJanesFarm.com/RFBlog/
www.Twitter.com/RuralFarmgirl
www.FarmGirlsFarm.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

CherryPie
True Blue Farmgirl

935 Posts

Kimberly Ann
Puyallup WA
USA
935 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2009 :  1:10:43 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by willowtreecreek

Cathy you started will smell very sour. Kinda vinegary or alcohol like. As long as it doesn't smell bad like a nasty gym sock or old chicken it should be fine. Here are a few things to check though: make sure you are using a ceramic (or glass in a pinch) bowl and a wooden spoon. Metal is BAD! Don't let it near your starter! Be sure you are measuring correctly. You started can start to sour too much if it is not fed enough. Check the temperature of your kitchen. The ideal temperature for your started is between 65 and 75 degrees. A little colder is fine but you want to avoid going much warmer. Do not set your starter to close to the stove or oven where temperatures can rise to over 100 when it's in use. Also be sure you are using Purified water. Bottled water is not necessarily purified so make sure it says so.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com

Oops! I used a metal spoon the first day. Should I toss it and start over? I've just added day two's ingredients.

Kimberly Ann
Farmgirl Sister #225
Crochet Geek, Newbie Fiddler, Would-be Farmer, Backyard Chicken Rancher
Go to Top of Page

HeatherAnn
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Rancho Cucamonga CA
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2009 :  2:24:22 PM  Show Profile
hi there!
my original starter got moldy, then i saved a tiny bit and two weeks later I had worms. I have been really bad at feeding this thing everyday. and once i saww WORMS! I threw the whole thing out. ew.

but I started another one on Sunday. I had 1.75 cups organic unbleached white flour and I added .25 cup of whole wheat stone ground pastry flour. It's like whole wheat flour but ground more, I guess. So, it's lighter in color than the standard whole wheat flour. And I added my 1.5 cups bottled water. Then Monday I added 1/3 cup whole wheat pastry four and 1/4 cup bottled water. Then this morning when I went to add more the whole concauction had risen almost two inches in my bowl! and had hit the underside of my wet towl! it was also bubbling like mad, still! even though I hadn't fed it in like 24 hours! So, I transfered it to a bigger bowl, added the 1/3 whole wheat pastry flour and 1/4 water and after two hours it had risen a whole bunch and was bubbling like mad so i stirred it to beat down some of the growth and then I just checked it again, it's been a few more hours and it's risen again and still bubbling.

I'll keep you posted on what it's doing tomorrow and if it ever settles down and produces some hooch or if it just keeps growing! I feel like I should have put the whole thing in the oven this morning since it's been rising so much! I don't know what I'm going to do with like 6 cups of starter! I mean, I can figuer it out, but it's growing like mad :)

I'm having a lot of fun! I always liked chemistry class :)

Heather Ann
Apartment Farmgirl

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 80 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Bread the MaryJane Way Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page