HeatherAnn
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Rancho Cucamonga CA
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2009 :  3:31:12 PM  Show Profile
so i just checked it again and it's like it's gunna bubble right up and snatch my wooden spoon right out of my hand!

I figuered out why though. heh. my 'measuring' cup, a little glass cup i've been guestimating with, well I was all off in using it. turns out I have been adding 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour and 1/2 cup water! No wonder it's so excited! I'm over feeding her. it's kind of hilarious though, because the 'dough' that has formed is bubbling, growing and coming clean off the sides of my bowl and my spoon. it's so ready to bake! and it smells like sour dough too, it's just not to the point of knocking me over with it's smell like it will be in a few days.

I'm excited for this batch. :)

Heather Ann
Apartment Farmgirl

"You got to look at all the good on one side and all the bad on the other and say 'Well, alright then.'" - Aunt Eller, Oklahoma

www.plumblossomknits.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2009 :  4:23:18 PM  Show Profile
So I am curious about this whole worm thing! How do you get worms in your starter? SCARY! Since you have been feeding your starter so much it sounds like you'll have a busy weekend of baking ahead of you! I'm gonna try a pumpkin bread this weekend. I'm not sure if I will like it because I am afraid the sour flavor might be over powering. I will report back!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

CherryPie
True Blue Farmgirl

935 Posts

Kimberly Ann
Puyallup WA
USA
935 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2009 :  08:20:41 AM  Show Profile
Day three and I have some bubbles! I had to move it from the mason jar to a glass bowl - it's getting big. Can't wait to see it on Day seven.

Kimberly Ann
Farmgirl Sister #225
Crochet Geek, Newbie Fiddler, Would-be Farmer, Backyard Chicken Rancher
Go to Top of Page

HeatherAnn
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Rancho Cucamonga CA
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2009 :  08:40:48 AM  Show Profile
I was thinking last night about the worms and I remembered that I found a little bug under my wet towel but on the outside of my bowl. or so I thought. little stinker must have gotten in somewhere to account for those worms. when I originally saw them I thought maybe they had come in with the flour, but either one I think could be the culprit. today we're worm free, bubbling away and greatly anticipating an amazing batch of sourdough! I even aquired some heirloom cast iron over the last few weeks, so I'll be able to cook in the sauce pan with the lid on! woo hoo!

Heather Ann
Apartment Farmgirl

"You got to look at all the good on one side and all the bad on the other and say 'Well, alright then.'" - Aunt Eller, Oklahoma

Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Oct 07 2009 :  5:05:31 PM  Show Profile
That's great Kinberly Ann! Glad to see you here! Heather - Im excited about the cast iron for yyou! I just started using cast iron last year and LOVE it! Cant believe what I was missing all these years! Especially with fried chicken!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

CherryPie
True Blue Farmgirl

935 Posts

Kimberly Ann
Puyallup WA
USA
935 Posts

Posted - Oct 11 2009 :  10:01:32 PM  Show Profile
My starter (at day 7) has a sourish smell (like a light pickle smell) and it had a bit of darkish liquid on top of the actual starter mix. Does that sound normal to you guys?

Kimberly Ann
Farmgirl Sister #225
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2009 :  1:51:43 PM  Show Profile
Absolutly! Its called hooch and is a normal part of the process. You can combat it by dividing your feedings into two each day. Half in the morning and half in the afternoon. You can also pour it off too. It can add to the sour flavor but some think it makes it too sour. It usually subsides after a few weeks. Be sure to stir your starter well and keep a clean cloth on top as it also seems to become more susceptible (spelling?????) to mold at this point!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Cindy
Elkhart TX
USA
46 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2009 :  5:46:36 PM  Show Profile
questions, questions, questions!

first off, my mother is on month 5 and doing wonderful! producing great breads, muffins, etc... a couple times a week she gives birth to something wonderful to bless our home.

so I have a few questions:

1. what would be a good mix/amount of herbs to add to the bread recipe for a nice italian dinner savory bread? I made two french bread loaves today. just used MJ regular sourdough recipe, kneeded a bit to mix and break into 2 loaves, and rose/bake in my cool french bread pan. i had added 2 T dried basil and 1 t dried crushed rosemary... the bread turned out great with a capital G, but NONE of us could tell what the herbs were - it honestly had a lemony after taste. the herbs are fairly new and kept fresh and cool, so it must be the combo with the sourdough flavor and my not knowing what amounts/combo would work good. And maybe I should have used oregano instead of rosemary or in addition to? options please...
2. Any ideas about how much pumpkin to add into the muffin recipe when leaving out the berries? of course I will need some nutmeg and cinnamon and other spices - but not sure how much muffin would work. Maybe 3/4 cup or 1 cup? And thought maybe to add some maple syrup to sweeten, or maybe just a maple syrup cream cheese dallop in the middle of each for some morning sweetness.
3. My hubby wants a soft squishy white bread. I am turning out the honey wheat oatmeal weekly and he LOVES it - but once in awhile he wants a soft white for a PB&J - and regular sourdough just won't work with that. I have refused to revert to yeast breads, my mother has GOT to do it, so I am trying to find a way to have mother do this too. Any ideas? I was thinking of looking at other recipes and modifying MJ's with maybe some milk, and also maybe just use the honey wheat oat bread but use all white flour instead?? any ideas??

Any comments or assistance appreciated. Go mother, go mother!!

Bread the Mary Jane Way
- started Mother 6/28/09
- Hodgson Mill Organic unbleached flour
- well water w/ reverse osmosis filter
- feeding twice as much once a day to eliminate excess hooch
- first sourdough loaf 7/25/09 - GREAT!
- using KA bread flour for loafs
Go to Top of Page

txbikergirl
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Cindy
Elkhart TX
USA
46 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2009 :  11:27:41 AM  Show Profile
Pumpkin Sourdough Muffins

I took the original "Sourdough Blueberry Muffins (from Sourdough Home" that lupinelady99 (www.myspace.com/lupinelady99) provided us with earlier and modified it for pumpkin muffins this morning. Wonderful!

I substituted pumpkin for blueberries, added pumpkin pie spice and some extra cinnamon, added some nuts and increased the sugar. And then sprinkled tops with cinnamon/sugar blend to get a crispy & spicy sweet top. they turned out great, perfect texture and taste and not too sweet at all.

I use regular size muffin pans (about 2 inch size) and mound the cups over the top to make good size muffins making 8 muffins. If you fill the cups only 2/3 full or so, this will probably make 12 muffins.

Ingredients

1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup oil
1 cup sourdough starter
1 cup canned pumpkin
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup sugar or splenda
1/2 cup chopped pecans or other nuts

Preheat oven to 425F.

Combine dry ingredients in small bowl. Stir in nuts. Combine wet ingredients in medium bowl. Add dry ingredients to wet ones.

Mix quickly and spoon into muffin cups (spray cups with nonstick stuff). Sprinkle top with cinnamon sugar if you want a more crunchy sweet top.

Bake at 425 for about 20 minutes.

You can also mix together some cream cheese, maple syrup and powdered sugar (don't make it runny, keep stiff like batter) and then top the muffins with it or put a dollop in the muffins prior to baking for some extra sweetness.

Bread the Mary Jane Way
- started Mother 6/28/09
- Hodgson Mill Organic unbleached flour
- well water w/ reverse osmosis filter
- feeding twice as much once a day to eliminate excess hooch
- first sourdough loaf 7/25/09 - GREAT!
- using KA bread flour for loafs
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2009 :  12:32:07 PM  Show Profile
Hey Cindy. I have a recipe for pumpkin sourdough bread that I baked last weekend at home but I havnt taken pictures yet. I was going to do that this weekend and post the recipe then. I will go ahead and post the recipe later as it seems several are interested. I can add pictures later.

For herbs - It really depends on your tastes but for a large loaf of bread I think you could easily add up to 3 or 4 tablespoons of dried herbs in any combination. If you are using fresh you will want to increase the amount to 5 or 6 tablespoons as the flavor is more concentrated in dried herbs. I would chop very finely and mix very well to incorporate.

As far as soft bread - the nature of sourdough is to have a chewy bite to it. I'll do some research but most sourdough breads are gonna have that bite to it.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2009 :  12:33:40 PM  Show Profile
Cindy if you can email me (Click my name above) I have some info I would like to share with you privately. Thanks!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

Quintessential Kate
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Kate
Tyler TX
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2009 :  07:44:03 AM  Show Profile
I've been "out" all summer....after my "Ma" bought the farm, I took a break. It's been a long, humid, life sucking summer for me, but after reading from page 85 to 106, I am stoked to take "Ma" out of hibernation and start again. I think along with my "Ma", I will start another one and call her "Auntie".
I'll post my results in a few weeks...but will once again join in on the discussions. I didn't realize how much I missed this forum until I took my "break". Looking forward to reconnecting with all you wonderful Farm Girlz.

Peace,
Kate

Farmgirl Sister #234

http://quintessentialkate.blogspot.com

Today is my best day!
Go to Top of Page

Quintessential Kate
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Kate
Tyler TX
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2009 :  07:45:42 AM  Show Profile
To clarify....before "Ma" bought the farm I had frozen some of the start....so that's what I'm going to use.

: )

Kate

Farmgirl Sister #234

http://quintessentialkate.blogspot.com

Today is my best day!
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2009 :  08:21:45 AM  Show Profile
Sounds Great Kate! Keep us posted!
Cindy - I apologize for not getting the recipe posted last night. My husband had an allergic reaction to something and his eyes swelled shut so I spent the whole night babying him. We have a doctors appointment this afternoon but I will try to get on tonight. SORRY!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

CherryPie
True Blue Farmgirl

935 Posts

Kimberly Ann
Puyallup WA
USA
935 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2009 :  08:56:18 AM  Show Profile
The pumpkin muffins sound delicious! I'll definitely try them when my mother gets ready to roll. I'm on day 9 right now.

EDIT: I had to try them today! They are in the oven right now. I have to say, I'm a little afraid since this is my first try with the starter and I'm a germaphobe at heart. :-) But all you lovely ladies have been here before me, so I'll give it awhirl.

Kimberly Ann
Farmgirl Sister #225

Edited by - CherryPie on Oct 14 2009 1:25:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

CherryPie
True Blue Farmgirl

935 Posts

Kimberly Ann
Puyallup WA
USA
935 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2009 :  9:14:28 PM  Show Profile
The muffins turned out delicious!

Kimberly Ann
Farmgirl Sister #225
Go to Top of Page

SuzieQ
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Suzie
Texas
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2009 :  6:43:41 PM  Show Profile
Can rain water work for the purified water? It is raining alot here and when I get the rain water do I need to boil it?
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2009 :  7:10:38 PM  Show Profile
By definition purified water is water that has been processed to remove impurities. I guess it would depend on where you live as to whether you use rain water. Some rain water can contain a lot of inpurities but I have also heard that is some places rain water is actually "cleaner" than tap water. I would probably boil it at least or run it through a filter like a Brita Water Pitcher for example.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

HeatherAnn
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Rancho Cucamonga CA
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2009 :  8:18:18 PM  Show Profile
I made the cinnamon-raisin muffins on the how to page, but I made them with no sugar and I used chopped apples instead of the raisins. They were really good, more of an interesting bread than a 'muffin' but they were good! I managed to wait till the temperature got up to 200 degrees, when I wasn't waiting before :P but oh that texture was AMAZING! I'm definately waiting from now on.

Heather Ann
Apartment Farmgirl

Go to Top of Page

CherryPie
True Blue Farmgirl

935 Posts

Kimberly Ann
Puyallup WA
USA
935 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2009 :  08:20:39 AM  Show Profile
Well, my starter put on a fur coat! I didn't stir it for a couple of days and when I came to it to make bread today, she was all fuzzy. Back to the beginning. :-(

Kimberly Ann
Farmgirl Sister #225
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2009 :  08:28:18 AM  Show Profile
Youve got to keep after her daily! If you know your gonna be a way a feww days you can cover it and pop it in the fridge.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2009 :  09:26:43 AM  Show Profile
I made my second loaf. The first was not too bad. I had expected it to "not" rise to its potential, also was not expecting it to be "strong" sour taste. So with no great expectation.. it was fairly good. The second round, made me beam with pride! It smelled like sour dough, looked like one too! It rose double size and baked beautifully! I am so looking forward to my third try at this coming week. I named mine after my grandmother, "Mamie" who is 90 and still kickin!

I did not have a cast iron pot but what I did use is my new Paula Dean 2 qt stoneware pot with lid and it seem to work just fine.

I want to encourage those who are trying to do their "mother"...to keep on trying! I had been looking for the perfect "tangy" sour dough starters for years and had always been dissapointed... until now that is! This is tangy! Yummy! The sour-dough taste I remember years ago... now it is in my kitcken

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766
(29 Sept 2009)
Go to Top of Page

Pamela Joy
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Pamela
Hesperus CO
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2009 :  10:29:21 AM  Show Profile
Last week, I wrapped her up and put her in the freezer for a while. Just wanted to take a break from the sourdough and get excited about it again in a month or so. I am using my "extra" counter space for my square inch sprouts. They are coming along and are fun to watch grow.
My eight year old daughter requested that when the starter comes back out of the freezer, I make sour dough-mocha-buttermilk biscuits. A combination of her favorite recipes. If I come up with something good, I will let y'all know. If anyone does a mocha-buttermilk biscuit, let me know.
Have a beautiful day!

Peace, Love, and Joy
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2009 :  08:18:10 AM  Show Profile
I have never heard of such a thing. Do you just add coca to the flour? I am very curious!

Karrieanne - I am glad you are having good luck and are pleased with your efforts!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

Pamela Joy
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Pamela
Hesperus CO
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2009 :  11:13:16 AM  Show Profile
Julie,
there is a mocha bread recipe in the index. It adds cocoa, brown sugar, coffee and baking soda to the regular sourdough recipe. I have made it several times and we eat it with cream cheese. Delicious. I have also made the buttermilk biscuits several times. My daughter loves them both and wants me to combine the recipes. I am not much of a baking improviser, but when I take her out of the freezer, I might just give it a try. I'll keep you posted.

Peace, Love, and Joy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 80 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Bread the MaryJane Way Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page