CherryPie
True Blue Farmgirl

935 Posts

Kimberly Ann
Puyallup WA
USA
935 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2010 :  08:56:38 AM  Show Profile
I'm hoping that Second time is going to be the charm on baking bread with my starter. It looked bubbly and puffy this morning. I made the dough but it wasn't sticky, it was very firm, almost like play-doh, which probably means that the 1 1/2 cups of flour in the recipe was too much. I'm letting it raise all day but if it doesn't go, then I'll know to use less flour on try number Three.

Kimberly Ann
Farmgirl Sister #225
Crochet Geek, Newbie Fiddler, Would-be Farmer, Backyard Chicken Rancher, Eager Podcaster
http://beesinourbonnetsintheburbs.blogspot.com/
Podcasts at http://thefannyfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

missgive
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Kim
Blairsville Georgia
USA
127 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2010 :  4:13:49 PM  Show Profile
KA Organic flour seems to be working and "The Mother Load" (husband named her) has been more bubbly and smelly. Gave the two cups to Emily's mom with some of the recipes, but warned she needed to "grow" her mother a while longer. I will keep feeding (not today-she's resting) and then make either pancakes, the pitas or cinamon-raisin buns first and then graduate to the bread. I want to work on the whole wheat, since I am a diabetic. The whole wheat is slower infusion of "sugars" (from carbs) into the blood stream, so should be better to use. I used to make sourdough bread (my former father-in-law loved it) and can't wait to do so again.

Proud Farmgirl Sister #927
A Farmgirl Sister headed for my mountain home and farm in 2010.
Go to Top of Page

MarciaJeansFarmette
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Marcia
Gerber CA
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2010 :  11:23:48 AM  Show Profile
Ok...day # 6 for my mother. After looking at some of the comments & lack of results for the first bread, I have lost some of my confidence for having wonderful bread tomorrow. What would be best to do if I wanted to wait another week? Take out 2 cups-what do do with it?- and let mother rest, or just go for it???? Decisions, decisions.
Many years ago I made bread for my family, but of course it was with yeast.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! ;-)

Marcia
Farm girl #956

Learning as I go...
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2010 :  12:35:49 PM  Show Profile
Look at the recipe index on page 105 of this thread. There are a ton of great recipes that aren't loaves of bread. The pancakes and waffles a great recipe when you aren't sure if you will get a good rise but there are others as well. There is a great cobbler recipe too! Good luck!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

MarciaJeansFarmette
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Marcia
Gerber CA
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2010 :  6:50:27 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Julie. I made blueberry muffins tonight and my husband agreed they are good! I wasn't up to grinding fresh whole wheat today, so I used white. Will do them with WW next time.
'Mother' had a 'crust' on her when I went to get the start for the muffins. I put a moist towel and plate on and thought I'd wait to try to stir it in till I add tomorrow, hoping it would soften up.
This is certainly a learning experience.
Thanks, again.

Marcia
Farm girl #956

Learning as I go...
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2010 :  8:27:01 PM  Show Profile
I made the Farmers White out of the MJ mag. I really just did it like it was in the mag mixed it up the night before and let it rise all night baked it in the morning for church potluck and it was sooooooooooooooo good.
I have to say I use the Sourdough all the time but this was the first time I didn't add any yeast.
Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

wildatheartfarmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

P.J.
Garden Farms CA
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2010 :  7:13:13 PM  Show Profile
May I suggest ORGANIC unbleached flour...I got so frustrated trying to get a loaf of bread to rise with the regular unbleached flour. I finally made the switch to Bob Mills Organic Unbleached and wow...success. I too am unable to get King Arthurs Organic Unbleached in anything other than a 3 pound bag but boy does it work great. I might also add to be aware of your water...although I could remove chlorine with a Brita filter, the heavy minerals in our water also prevented a rise. One more thing...my mother did not like me adding salt to her...add it with the flour. Ever since I made those changes I have had one success after another. The whole thing is a learning experience, but so much fun!
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2010 :  9:00:44 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the reminders PJ. MaryJane does recommend ORGANIC unbleached flour in her article. In fact she sells her owm flour right in the farmgirl shop! Distilled water is likely your best choice and the salt should always be added to the flour because it can cause the yeasts tostop working. Glad you are having fun with it!

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

pamcook
True Blue Farmgirl

228 Posts

Pam
Chapel Hill NC
USA
228 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2010 :  10:45:25 AM  Show Profile
Hi all - I had stopped growing my mother over the summer and then the fall was so busy...anyway, I'm having much better success this year. Here are some of the reasons (I think) - I'm using Mary Jane's flour instead of KA flour (no success with it last year), our kitchen was brand new last year and I'm no longer using fabric softeners (dish towels I use to cover my mother). Even though my house is cooler this year (keeping the thermostat set on 62 degrees 24/7), she bubbles away. I have organic flour ready to use when my Mary Jane's runs out and will use whole wheat for the recipes (but continue to use the unbleached/organic/white for feedings. DH has been asking for the sourdough waffles again - he's going to be thrilled this weekend!

www.ikat.org
www.longaberger.com/pamcook
Go to Top of Page

MarciaJeansFarmette
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Marcia
Gerber CA
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2010 :  4:11:26 PM  Show Profile
My 'mother' is 13 days old and looking good. Sour dough blueberry muffins last week. Bread this week??? High hopes!

Marcia
Farmgirl 956

Learning as I go...
Go to Top of Page

missgive
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Kim
Blairsville Georgia
USA
127 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2010 :  6:53:40 PM  Show Profile
Okay - last week I made a version of the cinnamon-raisin rolls - okay, didn't rise as much as I would like, but did okay. Mother Load was much more bubbly this week (warmer in Florida this week) so I just mixed up another round of the cinnamon-raisin rolls - let it rise overnight - used whole wheat organic KA flour for the bread - better for me. I may try pancakes or waffles next weekend. My own mother was afraid of what we were going to name ours - no, wouldn't name it after her - it is too stinky! Son thinks it smells awful and says the taste is differnt but is interested in the organics (he is going to be a chef, so needs to try new things) so he needs to see how this progresses. Let you know how we fare...

Kim (aka missgive)
Go to Top of Page

MarciaJeansFarmette
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Marcia
Gerber CA
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2010 :  5:08:45 PM  Show Profile
Mixed up my bread early am and let it rise for about 7 hours. Baked it when we returned from church.
I would have liked for it to have risen more, but husband thought it was a great success! Mother is resting...wish I got to..lol
Thanks for all your input as I'm learning this new way!

Marcia
Farmgirl #956

Learning as I go...
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2010 :  12:30:01 PM  Show Profile
ok I am ready to start my mom thing this Sunday. I do not have a cast iron sauce pan so can I use a regular loaf pan when it is time to bake?
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2010 :  2:23:24 PM  Show Profile
Yes you can. I would suggest lining it with parchment paper before hand and watch you bread temp as the cooking times can be different because they conduct heat differently.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2010 :  4:28:47 PM  Show Profile
ok. I will keep looking for the sauce pan thing but, I am excited to get started. I ordered Mary Janes organic flour today so here I go into the wild wonderful world of home made bread....
Go to Top of Page

pamcook
True Blue Farmgirl

228 Posts

Pam
Chapel Hill NC
USA
228 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2010 :  1:39:31 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone tried making donuts using the starter? Would you mind sharing a recipe?

www.ikat.org
www.longaberger.com/pamcook
Go to Top of Page

Waynette
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Waynette
Sunbright Tennessee
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2010 :  3:42:03 PM  Show Profile
My "mother" is 4 days old today. What consistency should she be now? Mine is as thick as a stiff biscuit dough. Is that normal? She is bubbling well and getting a sweet sour smell.

Thanks, Waynette
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2010 :  8:40:19 PM  Show Profile
It will be pretty thick the first week and wil thin out more as you continue to add flour and water.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
Go to Top of Page

CherryPie
True Blue Farmgirl

935 Posts

Kimberly Ann
Puyallup WA
USA
935 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2010 :  09:42:08 AM  Show Profile
Well, I think my mother has come back from the brink of yucky. She smells right and looks right, so I'm going to try a recipe today.

Kimberly Ann
Farmgirl Sister #225
Crochet Geek, Newbie Fiddler, Would-be Farmer, Backyard Chicken Rancher, Eager Podcaster
Go to Top of Page

HeatherAnn
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Rancho Cucamonga CA
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2010 :  09:54:23 AM  Show Profile
I'm trying this again. I have been making regular bread with store bought yeast, but I'm up for the challenge again. Plus, I went through my little jar of yeast pretty fast and it was like $5, so I'm trying to cut out that $5 by doing this again.
And you know, I grabbed King Arthur Brand Organic 'white-whole-wheat' by accident, I wanted the regular whole wheat. This flour is fine ground, but still uses the whole wheat. Well it's day #2 and I have tons of bubbles and hooch and the sour smell and it's doing really great with this flour! I will trying baking soon, maybe Sunday :)

Heather Ann
Apartment Farmgirl

"You got to look at all the good on one side and all the bad on the other and say 'Well, alright then.'" - Aunt Eller, Oklahoma

www.plumblossomknits.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

CherryPie
True Blue Farmgirl

935 Posts

Kimberly Ann
Puyallup WA
USA
935 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2010 :  8:56:09 PM  Show Profile
Success at last! I made a sourdough round loaf that I baked in my cast iron skillet. I had no faith (thought I had screwed it up again) but I just let it rise all day and lo and behold, it turned out wonderful.
Yippee!!!

Kimberly Ann
Farmgirl Sister #225
Go to Top of Page

missgive
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Kim
Blairsville Georgia
USA
127 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2010 :  12:02:37 PM  Show Profile
Okay - ready to branch out with my "mother Load" - so working on waffles for tomorrow (with a home-made strawberry sauce and fresh strawberries and whipped cream for Valentine's breakfast) and whole-wheat biscuits....Mother has been bubbly, stinky and easy to work with...yeah KA flours...let you know how it tuns out!

Kim (aka missgive)
Go to Top of Page

MarciaJeansFarmette
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Marcia
Gerber CA
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2010 :  12:59:22 PM  Show Profile
Bob's Red Mill organic unbleached white flour is what's available at my health food store. Looking good today. Going to stick with bread tomorrow. Since Kimberly Ann did it in her skillet, I think I will try that tomorrow. Thinking positive thoughts! Husband loves bread. ;-)

Marcia Jean
Certified Farm girl #956
Working on expanding my organic garden & wanting chickens & a Jersey cow!

Learning as I go...
Go to Top of Page

missgive
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Kim
Blairsville Georgia
USA
127 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2010 :  07:05:02 AM  Show Profile
Waffles turned out awesome! Used orange flavoring and orange zest and they were fluffy and light and delicious - further, the warm strawberry sauce and strawberries with whipped cream was a hit with hubby. Made plenty to freeze so DS has great choices to heat up and eat for breakfast next week....now on to whole wheat biscuits! Go Mama!

Kim (aka missgive)
Go to Top of Page

MarciaJeansFarmette
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Marcia
Gerber CA
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2010 :  6:26:43 PM  Show Profile
I'm very please about my bread today! So was my husband! Getting better each time.

Marcia Jean
Certified Farm girl #956
Working on expanding my organic garden & wanting chickens & a Jersey cow!

Learning as I go...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 80 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Bread the MaryJane Way Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page