kluckingbear
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Tabitha
Ellensburg WA
USA
52 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2010 :  9:22:28 PM  Show Profile
My husband's the bread baker at our house. He's excited to try the recipes with his fresh ground wheat. We tried the NY Times recipe and liked it, but it was a bit boring. I think the addition of a sour starter will really boost the flavor.

Come visit me at my windy little blog www.windsewn.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FarmgalApril
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

April

3 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2010 :  3:10:50 PM  Show Profile  Click to see FarmgalApril's MSN Messenger address
Please help with info on getting the sourdough bread to rise. This is my 5th week and I'm ready to give up! I followed the instructions for starter and the Farm House Recipe. I've tried getting it to rise in the oven as well as in a container. What else can I try? Thank You.
Go to Top of Page

Farm Diva
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Beth
Asheville NC
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2010 :  6:00:46 PM  Show Profile
This is going to be kinda long, sorry! Started first batch of mother. Got well water from my daughter, as I have "city water". Did whole week of love and stirring, things got kinda yucky. Pitched it out. Came to this post read a bunch and came away with some great information! Came up with following: daughter's well water is very heavy with minerals,(she gets small pebbles and silt in her shower head). Tried again with filtered water this week. Oh yeah, baby! We've got it going on! Bubbles, nice smell, no dark hoochy stuff, Yay! Thank you, thank you!

Do something you love!
Go to Top of Page

HollyMaeberry
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Holly
Jaffrey NH
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2010 :  04:18:07 AM  Show Profile
This is so exciting!!! I joined this forum because I want to do more baking and homemade things, and because I truly am a farmgirl at heart. I am looking forward to diving into all the links posted here!!!

I do have a question regarding starter: If I forget to feed it every day, is it 'lost' and I have to dump it, or can I just add a couple extra days before I use some to bake with??
Go to Top of Page

missgive
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Kim
Blairsville Georgia
USA
127 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2010 :  08:05:52 AM  Show Profile
Made the waffles and husband and son both loved them and ate them all week. The biscuits were a little dry and flavorless so I think I need to add some herbs to get more flavor. Texture was nice and density was pretty good. This week I think I will make the Sourdough Peanut Butter cookies (p. 76) and the Sourdough Appleauce Doughnuts (p.78) and maybe the bluebeery muffins (p. 77) but use strawberries rather than blueberries cause I have them on hand. Let you know how I do! Here we go mama!!!!
Hugs (with floured hands)
Kim

Kim (aka missgive)
Proud Farmgirl Sister #927
A Farmgirl Sister headed for my mountain home and farm in 2010.
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2010 :  3:15:24 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like everyone is doing great and after reading these post I am starved. My mother is in her nice little bowl resting today is day 1 for me. I would love the strawberry syrup recipe that was mentioned earlier.
Go to Top of Page

MarciaJeansFarmette
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Marcia
Gerber CA
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2010 :  5:28:25 PM  Show Profile
I stuck with the Farmhouse bread today and was pleased with the outcome!
I will get a little more creative with success! Thinking of adding to my mother this week -page 105, I believe and having an additional baking this week.
I love reading all the posts and seeing what everyone is doing!

Marcia Jean
Certified Farmgirl #956
Working on expanding my organic garden & wanting chickens & a Jersey cow!

Learning as I go...
Go to Top of Page

Farm Diva
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Beth
Asheville NC
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2010 :  9:14:33 PM  Show Profile
I love reading these posts! I think its amazing that such a simple beginning has so many different results! Here's mine: Finally got the starter going. Decided to make plain bread in cast iron pot. Whipped it up, put in pot, and waited. Nothing. No rise, no joy, no bread. Ok, toss effort #1 out. Got out Mary Jane's book looked at sourdough recipe. This past birthday I was gifted with a Kitchen Aid mixer complete with dough hook, (Talk about a great friend..) decided to go this route. Mixed ingredients, then let hook do it's thing for about 10 minutes. Put dough into oiled bowl with wet towel cover. After 8 hrs rise not spectacular, but something definitely happening. Punched down, put in bread pan, second rise not great either, but what the heck, shoved it in the oven. Well, Hello Dolly! It rose, it browned, it looks and tastes like real bread! To knead or not to knead, that is the question!

Do something you love!
Go to Top of Page

MarciaJeansFarmette
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Marcia
Gerber CA
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2010 :  12:35:36 PM  Show Profile
Correction. Pg 105 has a list of where to find recipes including adding so you can have more bakes during the week. Pg 72 describes how to increase your mother to have more bakes during the week.

Marcia Jean
Certified Farmgirl #956

Learning as I go...
Go to Top of Page

jelliott
True Blue Farmgirl

70 Posts

Jennifer
Athol Idaho
USA
70 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2010 :  1:48:36 PM  Show Profile
I attempted, the first time ever, a mother and it was all thick like bread dough all ready, am I doing something wrong????

If music be the food of Love, play on. Wm. Shakespeare
Go to Top of Page

dawnm
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Dawn
Blueridge Mts Va
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2010 :  6:04:22 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jennifer, the consistancy of sourdough starter can vary. Last year about this time I began my sourdough starter research. I had jars and jars of starter in various stages. The thing I learned out of all was there are different ratios of water to flour and that ratio will make the difference between wetter or more dough like. I also learned that it doesn't take as much effort as I was putting into it.

Small farm farmers rock!
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  08:46:23 AM  Show Profile
well I stirred and added yesterday and it looked good. I am wondering about the wet tea towel. Are you suppose to wet it each time you make your additions and stir? That is what I am doing so I hope I am doing it correctly.
Go to Top of Page

pamcook
True Blue Farmgirl

228 Posts

Pam
Chapel Hill NC
USA
228 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2010 :  10:42:11 AM  Show Profile
[The first day or so it will be ridiculously thick - then it will start bubbling and be sticky and then it will become more liquid. It's like a science experiment!
quote]Originally posted by jelliott

I attempted, the first time ever, a mother and it was all thick like bread dough all ready, am I doing something wrong????

[/quote]

www.ikat.org
www.longaberger.com/pamcook
Go to Top of Page

Pamela Joy
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Pamela
Hesperus CO
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  1:00:46 PM  Show Profile
Delicia,
I never wet my dish towel. I did a few times at the beginning, but did not keep up with that. I live in a pretty dry climate and it has not been a problem. I just do a dry dish towel and a plate. Good luck.

Peace, Love, and Joy
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  1:28:23 PM  Show Profile
I must lead a boring life. When checking a bubbling mass of dough is what you look forward to each evening.
Delicia
Go to Top of Page

jelliott
True Blue Farmgirl

70 Posts

Jennifer
Athol Idaho
USA
70 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  1:44:47 PM  Show Profile
Thanks all, and it is a strange life we live when our "mother" seems to be the center of our lives. (I say laughing a bit) But stranger still is when my hubby, who is laid up due to foot surgery, is interested in the bubbling mass.

All seems well with the growing mother and I can't wait until I can use some of it to bake with.
I do hope my hopes of the wonderfulness does not exceen the real thing.

Go to Top of Page

MarciaJeansFarmette
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Marcia
Gerber CA
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2010 :  1:48:11 PM  Show Profile
I wet my towel every time I add to my mother. I forgot, once, on the day I made bread & it didn't seem to be as good after resting. I've tried follow all the directions and each week it's better & better. I use Bob's flour because that's what is available at the nearest health food store. I have well water but run it through a Britta. I added to my mother this week so I could have an extra bake. Looks good.
Love to read all the comments!
Delicia...I check mine several times/day to see how "she's" doing! lol

Marcia Jean
Certified Farmgirl #956

Learning as I go...
Go to Top of Page

MarciaJeansFarmette
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Marcia
Gerber CA
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  08:05:01 AM  Show Profile
My first time doing an extra bake...2 loaves all comfy in the oven rising (I have cats so it needs a safe place!)1 loaf for us and the other a surprise for a friend.
My mother looks good after adding to her. Her normal rest day is Sunday so I hope I'm doing it right.
Thinking positive!

Marcia Jean
Certified Farmgirl #956

Learning as I go...
Go to Top of Page

ellie966
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Ellen
Taylorsville utah
USA
18 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2010 :  11:49:50 AM  Show Profile
Help! I think I killed my mother. I was so excited I started her yesterday and today when I went to feed her I added tap water, clorinated!!
Should I just start over? I can't believe I did that

Thanks
Ellie

Edited by - ellie966 on Feb 25 2010 12:21:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2010 :  7:51:39 PM  Show Profile
Ellie, what did you end up doing? I have no clue if you killed her or not. I bake tomorrow and think I am going for the basic white bread. I have to go out of town next week Tuesday-Friday for work and am leaving my mother here with my husband pray for them....
delicia
Go to Top of Page

ellie966
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Ellen
Taylorsville utah
USA
18 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2010 :  8:43:12 PM  Show Profile
thanks for asking Delicia! I didn't get any advise and so I just waited until today and lo and behold she is still bubbling away! So I just did the feeding today and will hope that she can recover. Maybe there isn't a lot of clorine in our water? It's really silly but I felt like I had poisoned a family pet . My hubby got a real chuckle over it.

hope all goes well while you are out of town, I'm sure your mother will get wonderful care. Good luck with the bread, let me know how it turns out.
Thanks for responding, I was feeling a little left out of the group.
Ellie

Edited by - ellie966 on Feb 26 2010 8:44:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2010 :  08:28:17 AM  Show Profile
Ellie, I am glad that you are back on track. I have 2 loaves rising up in my kitchen so send good thoughts. I will let you know when I bake them later how they turn out. I need to try and find the cast iron thingy with the lid. I can not wait till the weather breaks so I can go to the flea market.
delicia
Go to Top of Page

ellie966
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Ellen
Taylorsville utah
USA
18 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2010 :  2:50:56 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by delicia

Ellie, I am glad that you are back on track. I have 2 loaves rising up in my kitchen so send good thoughts. I will let you know when I bake them later how they turn out. I need to try and find the cast iron thingy with the lid. I can not wait till the weather breaks so I can go to the flea market.
delicia

delicia, I guess I did kill the mother. I finally decided the bubbles I was seeing were from stirring not fermenting. So I pitched it and started a new one. I also noticed that the Red Mill flour I was using was not "organic". It just said it was all natural with no preseratives. It did have malted barley, I don't know why that is bad, any idea? So I just decided to start over and do it right. Made a trip to the store and got organic ap flour and mixed up another mother. Sigh! But I'm not giving up, I really want to do this. I am so looking forward to my own homemade sourdough bread. I wish you happy baking with your 2 loaves! maybe in a month or so I will be able to have a loaf or two also. Keep me posted on how they turn out.
Ellie
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2010 :  4:24:25 PM  Show Profile
My loaves are so hard I could probably wing them to Utah for you to try. I used MJ's organic flour and spring water that I bought at the store. I have no clue where I went wrong. They did not rise very much so I have no clue what they are really suppose to look like. They were hard and the inside did not look all the way done. I tasted one and it did not tast too bad though. Although I have found a tub of butter will make most things tasty. Good luck with your new start I will continue to feed mine and try again next Saturday. I am so glad that man does not live by bread alone.
delicia
Go to Top of Page

ellie966
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Ellen
Taylorsville utah
USA
18 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2010 :  4:48:50 PM  Show Profile
Delicia,
I read all 113 pages when I started and lots and lots of people said the first couple of tries at bread turned out hockey pucks. They suggested making pancakes or waffles or muffins at first. Something that does not need to rise. As your starter matures the rise (bread) improves. So keep trying, you will get that wonderful bread before long.
Ellie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 80 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Bread the MaryJane Way Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page