MarciaJeansFarmette
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Marcia
Gerber CA
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  6:49:05 PM  Show Profile
Thanks pinkwitchy! I was getting beautiful bread some months ago and suddenly it came out heavy and not cooked in the middle. I had a repairman come twice, threw my mother away 3 or 4 times...quit for awhile and now back at it... I can toast it, it tastes good... I had people asking for it... it's a mystery to me... I believe the recipe for the muffins and tons of other stuff is on pg 76?

Marcia
determined! :=)

Learning as I go...
Go to Top of Page

fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2011 :  09:46:32 AM  Show Profile
Yesterday I took a sourdough class and came home with 2 mothers. The woman who taught the class taught us how to make pancakes, crumpets, French bread, and honey whole wheat. There was so much information she put out. I came home and fed my starters right away. I can't wait to make my first batch of bread. She sent us home with starter, and another woman who came to the class brought her starter to share. They both smell so good. I can't wait. I wish I were taking notes faster so I could have asked where in Alaska she got her starter from years ago

Farmgirl #1599
Working from home, working the land
www.lightningcreekinc.com
Go to Top of Page

pinkwitchy~farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

230 Posts

Beverly
Lee's Summit MO
USA
230 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2011 :  8:34:48 PM  Show Profile
Marcia.....that is odd! I've got notes, somewhere :), with all the recipes & what pgs they're on. Can't wait to retry!

Pamela....Mmmmmmm, crumpets! Haven't had those in forever! Sounds like you had an absolute blast in class :) Good luck with both mothers!

I miss my Hoochie Momma!!!!

Farmgirl Sister 1575* * * It is often the bend in the road that makes life worth the drive * * *
Go to Top of Page

fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2011 :  06:43:15 AM  Show Profile
Recipe from the class I took on Saturday

Sourdough Crumpets

1 cup warm water
3TB powdered milk
½ Cup sourdough starter
1TB sugar
1 egg, beaten
2 Cups (+, - just a little) unbleached flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp SAF yeast
½ tsp mixed with ¼ Cup warm water

Pour 1 cup warm water, powdered milk, sugar, beaten egg, salt, and flour into mixer.
Sprinkle SAF yeast on top of flour. Beat until smooth and elastic, about 3 minutes.
Cover with a dry cloth. Let rise in a warm place until batter has doubles in size and surface is a mass of bubbles, about 1 ½ hours. In a small bowl, stir baking soda into ¼ Cup warm water until dissolved. Stir soda into batter. Cover bowl with a cloth. Set aside 30 minutes. Lightly grease a griddle and 4-8 crumpet (English muffin) rings. Place rings on griddle. Heat over medium-low heat until quite warm. Pour batter into rings no more than ½ inch deep. Cook until surface forms a dull skin and tiny holes cover the surface, 8 to 10 minutes. Sip off rings, turn crumpets. Cook 1 minute longer. Cool on a rack.
After they are cooled toast them in the toaster and serve with butter and jam. Or good in a variety of sandwiches. I know you use yeast in this, but that is how the recipe is written

Farmgirl #1599
Working from home, working the land
www.lightningcreekinc.com
Go to Top of Page

pinkwitchy~farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

230 Posts

Beverly
Lee's Summit MO
USA
230 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2011 :  7:44:09 PM  Show Profile
Mmmmmmmm! Thanks for sharing Pamela!

Farmgirl Sister 1575* * * It is often the bend in the road that makes life worth the drive * * *
Go to Top of Page

Pamela Joy
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Pamela
Hesperus CO
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2011 :  2:27:15 PM  Show Profile
Hi all, I have been trying MJ sour dough since the original magazine article came out. I have had "Mother Dear" in the freezer for 10 months. Took her out a couple weeks ago, hoping for the best. I also changed from King Arthur flour to Bob's Red Mill. Did not know how it would go, but so far, so good. The first loaf (MJ's basic farmhouse bread)came out just like it used to. Great flavor, but undercooked, doughy, not risen well. Since my daughter LOVES the sour dough so much, I keep trying, but I am not happy with the overall result. I have had much better luck getting "real" bread from the Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day method. So I decided to combine them and see what happens. I did it yesterday and it was AWESOME! Best bread I have ever made!!! I am so excited!!!! I used the basic farmhouse recipe, added 1/2 cup of extra flour, 2 1/4 tsp of granulated yeast, 2 tbsp vital wheat gluten, and then just followed the directions for rising and baking from Healthy Bread in Five.
I know that using MJ sourdough is supposed to let you avoid yeast and other leavening agents, but it just has not been working for me. If I am going to take the time to make bread, I want to be able to eat bread. And now, we have BREAD! The whole family is happy and I am so glad that I kept trying and came up with a good solution.
I hope you all have a lovely Valentine's Day and best wishes for wonderful bread!

Peace, Love, and Joy
Go to Top of Page

Pamela Joy
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Pamela
Hesperus CO
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2011 :  2:41:39 PM  Show Profile
By the way, I have tried MaryJane's flour, King Arthur, and now Bob's Red Mill (each organic) and have never gotten the rise and bread-y texture that I think I should be getting. "Mother Dear" always looks and smells good, and bubbles like she should. But when I prepare and bake, little to no rise. Some weeks are better than others, but never as good as when I finally combined the methods in the above post.

Peace, Love, and Joy
Go to Top of Page

pinkwitchy~farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

230 Posts

Beverly
Lee's Summit MO
USA
230 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2011 :  7:01:51 PM  Show Profile
Pamela, thanks for sharing! I was kinda feeling the same way. Good to know we can have our bread AND eat it too! :)

Go to Top of Page

Pamela Joy
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Pamela
Hesperus CO
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2011 :  3:38:51 PM  Show Profile
Beverly, I am glad to have given you some hope.
I want y'all to know that I am in no way knocking MaryJane's flour, or method of baking sour dough. I have been in on this from the beginning (since the article two years ago) and I remember MJ saying that she is the "doggedly determined type". Well, I never thought of myself that way and usually would give up if something like this did not come somewhat easily. But I was SO inspired by the concept of this sour dough that and it has opened up a whole new world of baking experimentation for me. I have always baked sweets, but never bread (except bread machine). Now I am doing bread, biscuits, pizza dough, MJ pretzels, etc... with and w/o the sour dough. And the fact that my sour dough is now going to include yeast and a new method does not in my mind diminish the wonder that is MaryJane's Sour Dough!! It feels good to have it in my life, on our counter, and possibly passed on for generations. I now feel like the "doggedly determined type"!!

Peace, Love, and Joy
Go to Top of Page

cathymark4ever
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Catherine
Friendswood TX
USA
38 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2011 :  4:27:52 PM  Show Profile  Send cathymark4ever a Yahoo! Message
We started our "mother" two weeks ago..

This is what our 6 yr old though of it...

Today we made our first loaf...

It came out great and we ate it all in 15 min.!

Catherine

Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/CatherineFinchJohnson
eBay store - http://stores.ebay.com/CathyMark4Ever-Upscale-Resale?_rdc=1

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

Mahatma Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

dprovence
True Blue Farmgirl

55 Posts

Debbie
Little Rock AR
USA
55 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2011 :  08:53:06 AM  Show Profile
Catherine - It looks like you really had fun with your family helping you! I made a "mother" when that edition first came out but let it die :-( The bread was wonderful. Gotta get a new mother started!

Huggs and Smyles,
Debbie
Farmgirl Sister #2636

Edited by - dprovence on Feb 19 2011 3:46:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

Pamela Joy
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Pamela
Hesperus CO
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2011 :  11:00:08 AM  Show Profile
That loaf of bread is beautiful!! Now, if mine had ever looked like that, I never would have strayed. Keep up the good work!

Peace, Love, and Joy
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2011 :  1:14:58 PM  Show Profile
I tried the sourdough out from the recipe part of the website and I love it! It's my very first time ever trying out sourdough and the mother smells just like the recipe said it would and I made 2 thing with it (sassy me I took out more than 2 cups!) I used 1/2 cup to make sourdough waffles. The waffles were so good I almost cried, it brought me back to my great grandparents farm house! Then I used 2 cups for the Basic Farmhouse bread. It was absolutely amazing. My question is this: if my family goes through a loaf every other day how do I keep enough mother so I can make sourdough bread more than just once a week?

Oh also I'm not sure if I was supposed to use it or not but I have been using sprouted whole wheat flour that I keep in my fridge, then for the bread I used a supposed whole wheat white flour (I buy in bulk, not sure what it is) and the waffles I used a regular old whole wheat fine ground flour.

Any tips on how to produce enough mother to keep my family in bread and other goodies (waffles, etc)? Thanks!

~We can make the world a better place for our kids and future generations by what we do today!~

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

henlady35904
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Kim
Gadsden Alabama
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2011 :  4:36:09 PM  Show Profile
Krystal, I was wondering the same thing. Can the starter be doubled? And double the daily ingredients? I started my first Mother on Sunday...shes looking all bubbly and smells good. Can't wait!
Go to Top of Page

pinkwitchy~farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

230 Posts

Beverly
Lee's Summit MO
USA
230 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2011 :  2:29:14 PM  Show Profile
Krystle & Kim, go to Alee's post at the top of page 120....she has done the math for us there.... I had the same question! :)

Go to Top of Page

henlady35904
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Kim
Gadsden Alabama
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2011 :  3:03:51 PM  Show Profile
ok... just got my first loaf of bread out of the oven and not much rise and very dense. I'm not gonna give up, will start back tomorrow. Thanks for all the helpful posts!
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2011 :  10:38:16 AM  Show Profile
So far my bread has been turning out wonderful! I cook it in my cast iron pan. Today I mixed up some cinnamon raisin for the first time so I can't wait to try it for "dessert" tonight! I decided to let my Mother rest on Mondays because that is my busiest day and it is one less thing I have to tend to that day. Gives mother and I both a needed break I guess! Otherwise I wonder if I had good luck my first try because the house I live in is well over 100 years old? I wonder if it has more yeasty stuff in it from years gone by of making sourdough? I remember trying to make it in highschool at my parents newly built house and it never turned out so I gave up on sourdough until I found MaryJane's way of making it. Maybe she has a magic recipe, or maybe it is the age of the house? Not sure, just a thought how poetic it might be.
Kim: don't give up! Maybe try putting it in a different spot in the kitchen :)

~We can make the world a better place for our kids and future generations by what we do today!~

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page

henlady35904
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Kim
Gadsden Alabama
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2011 :  1:09:04 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Krystal...I have moved it to the side of the stove and she seems to be more active. I'm going to keep trying!
Go to Top of Page

Littleredd
True Blue Farmgirl

174 Posts

Patty
Norwich NY
USA
174 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2011 :  10:27:57 AM  Show Profile
One thing I noticed about the sourdough bread is 10 minutes is a long time to knead for a beginner like me but it's crucial to the bread rising correctly. At least, that's what I've found out doing the research. I'm going to make sure my next loaf is thoroughly kneaded. There are also 'tests' you can do to see if the dough has been kneaded enough.

~`~`~`~`~`
A little Red, attempting to be The Fearless Farmgirl
www.fearlessfarmgirl.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Stimalano
Farmgirl Sister #2106
Go to Top of Page

henlady35904
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Kim
Gadsden Alabama
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2011 :  09:49:01 AM  Show Profile
What tests Patty?
Go to Top of Page

Cibola
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Remi
Ellensburg Washington
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2011 :  5:23:42 PM  Show Profile
Love the receipes - thank you so much. I am recently retired and am trying my hand at baking and making bread. The suggestions I've read are helping so much. Happy Baker!!

Farmgirl: Cibola
Go to Top of Page

henlady35904
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Kim
Gadsden Alabama
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2011 :  2:18:27 PM  Show Profile
Well... my second loaf of bread still was no good. I threw mother out. Maybe I will try again later when the weather warms up!
Go to Top of Page

peebs
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Yannira
Connecticut
26 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2011 :  08:17:51 AM  Show Profile
This almost sounds like what my co-worker calls "friendship bread". Except she would split her starter mixture into 12 ziplock bags and give it to us at work, so that would be our starter mixture.

I cant wait to try this recipe. It sounds fun and delicious.

Go to Top of Page

Littleredd
True Blue Farmgirl

174 Posts

Patty
Norwich NY
USA
174 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2011 :  12:53:42 PM  Show Profile
Sorry Kim! Forgot to subscribe to this topic and just made my way back here! Found this at eHow.com:

Keep folding over and compressing the dough until it becomes smooth and slightly shiny, almost satiny. Check your recipe for specifics. The most common test for doneness is to press it with your finger. If the indentation remains, it's ready for rising. You can also try stretching part of the dough into a rectangle. If it can stretch into a thin sheet without breaking, you've kneaded it enough

Read more: How to Knead Bread Dough | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_13898_knead-bread-dough.html#ixzz1GVkoM4fW

~`~`~`~`~`
Farmgirl Sister #2106
Go to Top of Page

Littleredd
True Blue Farmgirl

174 Posts

Patty
Norwich NY
USA
174 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2011 :  1:06:03 PM  Show Profile
SUCCESS!! I got the bread right! Yaaaaaay! This is what I did: I followed all the directions exactly as they say in the book. The first rise was ho hum and about 6 hrs long. For the second rise, I put it in a casserole dish and put it on a heating pad like for your back pain with a damp towel over it and let it rise until it truly was doubled in bulk which took about 6 hours. The lack of moisture in the air and cooler temps really does make winter time breadmaking a little trickier. Anyway, popped it in the oven and got this!

I found it doesn't bake all the way through often so I turn the heat down to 400 or 375 and let it it sit in another 5-10 mintues after the 15 mins is up. Lower middle rack is best...um what else did I do...sliced the top because it wants to split on the sides and it releases the pressure from rising. Anyway, yay! Can't wait to slice it up!

~`~`~`~`~`
Farmgirl Sister #2106

Edited by - Littleredd on Mar 13 2011 1:41:06 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 80 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Bread the MaryJane Way Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: