traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2011 :  11:43:59 AM  Show Profile
If I forgot when I started making the starter, what is a good way to determine when it is ready to use?

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page

SarAvery
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Sara
West Stockbridge MA
USA
39 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2011 :  05:47:32 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning Ladies!
I started a sourdough starter 6 days ago. It is watery, doesn't have any bubbles, and does not look anything like the picture in the book. I did a search to figure out what I did wrong, but couldn't find an answer. I am hoping you can help.
What did I do wrong and can I still use it?
Thanks so much!!
Sara

Farmgirl #3137
http://www.etsy.com/shop/RocklandGardens
Go to Top of Page

Farmers Daughter
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

DiAnn

90 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2011 :  11:57:19 AM  Show Profile
Seen your post, but not totally sure what could be going on with your starter. Just know that mine took a few weeks to fully develop. The first few loaves that I made were made with the recipe that was given on page 13 of this topic- The San Fansico style bread. Great recipe to use till your starter develops. After reading about all the rock that were being baked while waiting for starter to develop, just didn't want to waste all the ingredients just trying. It took about 3 weeks before I let the starter do it on it's own. If you have time go back to the beinging of this topic and check some past posts you might find an ansewer. But if it smells ok and isn't moldy. Then I would think it just might need a bit more time.
Best of luck
Go to Top of Page

Peggy stephens
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

peggy
luverne alabama
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2011 :  09:39:49 AM  Show Profile
I am new to the Farmgirl but like reading all the interesting tips you have. I have a small candy business and I need a good recipe for a sweet/spicy mix. Does anyone have a good one?

love one another
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

960 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
960 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2011 :  5:13:36 PM  Show Profile
Peggy, I just saw your post here on MJF Sour Dough Bread page, I think you might want to re-post your topic under Farm Kitchen, you can hit: start a new topic then type in your question - think you will get some responses there.
Welcome to the Farm - I know you will enjoy all the wonderful ladies that call ourselves :"Farmgirls"
Hugs,
Ruth

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us!

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

7506 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
7506 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2011 :  1:45:40 PM  Show Profile
How pretty and yummy that looks.

quote:
Originally posted by Littleredd

SUCCESS!! I got the bread right! Yaaaaaay! This is what I did: I followed all the directions exactly as they say in the book. The first rise was ho hum and about 6 hrs long. For the second rise, I put it in a casserole dish and put it on a heating pad like for your back pain with a damp towel over it and let it rise until it truly was doubled in bulk which took about 6 hours. The lack of moisture in the air and cooler temps really does make winter time breadmaking a little trickier. Anyway, popped it in the oven and got this!

I found it doesn't bake all the way through often so I turn the heat down to 400 or 375 and let it it sit in another 5-10 mintues after the 15 mins is up. Lower middle rack is best...um what else did I do...sliced the top because it wants to split on the sides and it releases the pressure from rising. Anyway, yay! Can't wait to slice it up!

~`~`~`~`~`
A little Red, attempting to be The Fearless Farmgirl
www.fearlessfarmgirl.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Stimalano
Farmgirl Sister #2106

"When we do the best that we can, we never know what miracle is wrought in our life or in the life of another" Helen Keller
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2011 :  03:57:43 AM  Show Profile
There are family jokes about me and bricks. At this point, I only use my bread machine to make pizza dough. I am going to try this.

“It always looks darkest just before it gets totally black.”-Charlie Brown
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2011 :  08:47:03 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by willowtreecreek

Lara here is a recipe index. Enjoy!

Mary Jane’s Bread Article pg. 1

Baked French Toast with Apples and Nuts pg. 12

Pancakes pg. 13

San Francisco Style Bread (Ronna) pg. 13

Old Fashioned Biscuits (celticheart) pg. 17

Pancakes (celticheart) pg. 17

Croutons pg. 18

Waffles pg. 19

Buttermilk Biscuits pg. 27

Whole Wheat Biscuits pg. 27

Basic Biscuits pg. 27

Pizza Crust pg. 32

Bagels pg. 43

English Muffins (Ronna) pg. 45

Carrot Cake pg. 47

Bread Machine White Bread w/ added yeast pg. 49

Pecan/Date Bread pg. 51

Dog Treats pg. 53

Banana Cake (pearlgirl) pg. 54

Honey Wheat Oatmeal Bread (parisknight) pg. 62

Croissant pg. 63

Mary Jane’s Flour pg. 63

Pumpernickel Bread pg. 65

Chocolate Chip Cookies (GailMN) pg. 66

Cake-Like Brownies pg. 67

Sideways Sourdough Fruit Cake (lupinelady99) pg. 67

Sourdough Gingerbread with Lemon Sauce (lupinelady99) pg. 67

Drying Starter (Ronna) pg. 67

Sourdough Bran Bread (lupinelady99) pg. 67

Sourdough Applesauce Cake (lupinelady99) pg. 68

Sourdough Chiffon Cake (lupinelady99) pg. 68

Sourdough Peanut Butter Cookies (lupinelady99) pg. 68

Sourdough Spice Cookies with Maple Frosting (lupinelady99) pg. 68

Sourdough Oatmeal Cookies (lupinelady99) pg. 68

Black Bean and Chipotle Bread (lupinelady99) pg. 68

Seven Grain Cereal Bread (lupinelady99) pg. 68

Sourdough Oatmeal Coconut Cookies (lupinelady99) pg. 68

Sourdough Sugar Cookies (lupinelady99) pg. 68

Sourdough pretzel recipe (lupinelady99) pg. 68

Increasing Starter for more baking pg. 72

Too sour starter discussion/tips pg. 72

Oatmeal Quick Bread pg. 74

Sourdough Blueberry Muffins pg. 76

Blueberry Sourdough Breakfast Bread pg. 76

Chocolate Bread pg. 76

Sourdough Rolled Chocolate Cookies pg. 76

Shelburne Chocolate Waffles pg. 76

Sourdough Hot Cross Buns pg. 77

Tomato Basil Garlic Farmhouse White pg. 77

Adding Starter to recipes (Ronna) pg. 77

Starter Safety (Ronna) pg. 77

Freezing Starter (Mary Jane) pg. 78

Sourdough Peanut Butter Cookies (GailMN) pg. 78

Rocky Mountain Corn Bread pg. 78

Dakota Prairie Muffins pg. 78

Doctor’s Sourdough Bread pg. 78

Sourdough Applesauce Donuts pg. 78

Converting Recipes & Reactivate Starter (Mary Jane) pg. 78

Adding sourdough to non-bread recipes (Willowcreek Julie) pg. 78

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com

bump

“It always looks darkest just before it gets totally black.”-Charlie Brown
Go to Top of Page

mcorwin
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Megan
Ohio
78 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2012 :  6:36:30 PM  Show Profile
After all these great ideas listed here, I started my MaryJane bread today. Can't wait for a week to bake my first batch of bread!

Farmgirl #3285

http://www.heartlandhomesteading.com
Go to Top of Page

farmdreamer
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Pat
Stites Idaho
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2012 :  08:36:56 AM  Show Profile
Help please! I have been looking for the original MJ artisan bread article and I can't seem to find it. I keep getting sidetracked reading articles that grab my attention in my back issues. Just got interested in sourdough and wanted to try the original first. Hope someone can find it for me.
Go to Top of Page

motherhen
Chatroom Moderator

42 Posts

Henrietta
Moscow Idaho
USA
42 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2012 :  08:39:58 AM  Show Profile
It's here for you on page 1.
Go to Top of Page

PatioFarmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Nicole
Newark DE
USA
16 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2012 :  05:24:07 AM  Show Profile
I wonder if anyone has any suggestions. I've had my starter for over a month now and I'm still not having any luck getting my bread to rise. Am I waiting too long (usually over 24 hours) between feeding it the previous day and breadmaking the next day? I've also been keeping it warm in my apartment but still no luck.
Go to Top of Page

nanr42
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Nan
WALDPORT Oregon
USA
160 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2012 :  7:41:21 PM  Show Profile
Chocolate waffles? Chocolate waffles? Really?

Does the bread always taste like sourdough? I like sourdough bread,but not all the time.
thanks for that index for the recipes.

I really want to make myb own bread again, but I'll be moving sometime, and I do n't have a lot of time or energy to do the usual. And then clean it up.

I use MJBakeover mix a lot.

Nan
Go to Top of Page

mrsamy
True Blue Farmgirl

167 Posts

Amy
Milwaukee WI
USA
167 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2012 :  09:42:34 AM  Show Profile
Nicole...try moving Mother to a different part of kitchen. Is she good and bubbly soon after feeding? If so, she should rise up nice and high. When I let mine rise,I heat up some water in coffee mug in the microwave will I mix up my dough. I take out the mug, put my bread in there to rise (and unplug that sucker). It is warm, not to moist, draft free and relatively safe from little hands. Maybe a different rising spot will help.

Nan...it doesn't always taste really sour. My parents don't like sour sourdough, but like my bread. The waffles almost taste more like buttermilk that sourdough. Haven't done chocolate yet, though.

Prayer costs nothing, but is worth the most.
Go to Top of Page

PatioFarmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Nicole
Newark DE
USA
16 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2012 :  4:14:22 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Amy, I'll give your tips a try
Go to Top of Page

karinf
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Karin
Lake City Tn.
USA
4 Posts

Posted - May 01 2012 :  6:39:02 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by farmdreamer

Help please! I have been looking for the original MJ artisan bread article and I can't seem to find it. I keep getting sidetracked reading articles that grab my attention in my back issues. Just got interested in sourdough and wanted to try the original first. Hope someone can find it for me.

Hi. The article I go by was in the Simply Bee Issue, Feb-Mar 2009, starting on page 66. I make it all the time now. However, my bread is never as pretty as pictures here. My crust is crusty, and the innards are a little crumbly.

Karin...
Getting Back to My Farmgirl Days
Go to Top of Page

Nanniekim
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Kim
Arizona
206 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2012 :  9:24:47 PM  Show Profile
Yesterday I took my starter out of the refrigerator and got it going again. Already it is bubbly and smells so yeasty. Pancakes for breakfast in the morning! Won't be long till till I can bake bread again too.

Kim
Go to Top of Page

Marylyn
True Blue Farmgirl

316 Posts

Marylyn
Ellsinore MO
USA
316 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2012 :  11:08:02 PM  Show Profile
My first Mary Jane magazine was that issue....I bought it for the bee article and in a weeks time was making sour dough bread. Then I subscribed and three years later, well, here I am! Love that original magazine that I bought!

Love,

Auntie M
Farmgirl # 4062
That which does not kill me, only serves to make me stronger!...unknown to me.
Go to Top of Page

campchic
True Blue Farmgirl

312 Posts

Erin
Nebraska
USA
312 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2012 :  11:35:05 AM  Show Profile
Any one done this gluten free?
Go to Top of Page

shawneefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

91 Posts

Linda
Missouri
USA
91 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2012 :  05:20:57 AM  Show Profile
I see this has been going on for 3 yrs now, so I'm kinda lagging behind here. But I just did not have the time or energy when I was working! I am blessed to be a homebody now, and am excited to start baking bread. Your recipies look wonderful!! I started my mother 3 days ago, and she has been bubbly since the very beginning. I did notice, though, because I had to transfer to a larger bowl, that there was a lot of liquid at the bottom of my bowl. Is this normal?? Or am I doing something wrong here? Not stirring enough?? I am new to breadmaking ...

"I'll tell you the truth, if a man keeps my word, he will never see death." John 8:51
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2012 :  06:56:15 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Linda- the liquid is normal- don't worry! As long as she is bubbling and smelling good you are doing everything just fine! Just stir her up before you measure out for any recipes! :)

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wff7Xpc/]

[/url]
Go to Top of Page

shawneefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

91 Posts

Linda
Missouri
USA
91 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2012 :  07:37:48 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Alee! I think I just had an "ah-ha" moment...I went to feed mom this morning, and when I stirred her first, there was a rubbery top layer and then the liquid. Is that the thick crust everyone has been talking about, maybe? I had not been wetting my towel because the top is moist, so do I need to start putting a wet towel on now?

"I'll tell you the truth, if a man keeps my word, he will never see death." John 8:51
Go to Top of Page

Ashley
MaryJanesFarm Food Guru

54 Posts

Ashley
Moscow ID
54 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2012 :  1:26:05 PM  Show Profile
Erin,
We have developed a recipe for gluten-free sourdough mother using just organic white rice flour and distilled water. We use Bob’s Red Mill organic white rice flour http://www.bobsredmill.com/flours-meals/index2.html. The amounts are slightly different than wheat flour because the rice wants to soak up a lot more water. For a rice sourdough mother, start with 2 cups of organic white rice flour and 2 ½ cups of distilled water. Each day add ¼ cup rice flour and 1/3 cup distilled water. In the first few days, you will probably have a layer of water floating on the surface, but once the mother is more active, it will be less noticeable. It takes about the same amount of time to become active as a wheat mother; in 5-7 days it should be bubbly and have a sour smell. For a basic white loaf, combine 2 cups of mother, 2 T milk, 1 T honey, ½ t salt and then mix in 1 cup of rice flour. Shape it into a loaf, cut some slits in the top and cover to let it rise for 4-6 hours. Bake the loaf at 425°F for 25-35 minutes, or until the internal temperature is 195-205°F. To brown the top (optional), brush with ¼ t baking soda mixed with ¼ cup water, and bake for an additional 3 minutes.

Linda,
I am glad to hear that you mother has been happy and bubbly so far. Your mother should have an even consistency throughout, so I would guess that it needs a little extra stirring. Make sure that you are stirring all the way to the bottom and scraping the sides with a wooden spoon. The sourdough mother LOVES air, so the better you stir it, the happier it will be. Also, changing out the bowl is a great way to aerate the mother. I have noticed that changing the bowl 2-3 times a week makes it even more active and bubbly because the pouring back and forth gives it the air that it craves.

Ashley
Go to Top of Page

JulieJ
Farmgirl in Training

40 Posts

Julie
In The Trees MD
USA
40 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2012 :  04:46:13 AM  Show Profile
I forgot to feed mother this morning. What do i do? Just skip today and feed tomorrow?
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16273 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16273 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2012 :  04:52:58 AM  Show Profile
No big deal. Just feed now. Happy bread baking!

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 80 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Bread the MaryJane Way Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page