shawneefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

91 Posts

Linda
Missouri
USA
91 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2012 :  05:09:38 AM  Show Profile
Ashley, thanks for the input! I will try changing out her bowl every week from now on.

"I'll tell you the truth, if a man keeps my word, he will never see death." John 8:51
Go to Top of Page

shawneefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

91 Posts

Linda
Missouri
USA
91 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2012 :  2:09:45 PM  Show Profile
Thought I would jump back on with an update and question...last week was week 1, and like everyone else , I baked a brick - ha!ha! Today I made pancakes - delicious !!!! and tonight I will try the biscuts. Thought I would give ma a break on the bread until next week #3. Most of the girls have said that by wk 3 their bread was a lot better. Now my question is has anyone tried the Wheat Montana brand flour? I am using King Arthur, but my store doesn't carry the organic. They do have the Wheat Montana organic, though. I was not sure how good their products were. Any thoughts??? ... Thanks!

"I'll tell you the truth, if a man keeps my word, he will never see death." John 8:51
Go to Top of Page

jenne.f
True Blue Farmgirl

643 Posts

Jenne
Wagontown PA
USA
643 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2012 :  12:58:48 PM  Show Profile
I have a question regarding the flour used for the starter. I found King Arthur organic bread flour, but only in the 2 pound bag. I wanted to buy a regular 5 pound bag, but cannot locate one in the organic flour. Local stores carry several varieties of flour but only the one is labeled organic. Are all KA flours organic? Which one(s)can I use?
Thank you
Jenne

"Follow your bliss"

Farmgirl sister #4616
Go to Top of Page

shawneefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

91 Posts

Linda
Missouri
USA
91 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2012 :  1:24:11 PM  Show Profile
Jenne, I really am not sure if all KA flours are organic. I have been using KA bread flour because thats all I can find. And this is my 5th week now, and I cannot get my bread to rise. I am getting dicouraged. I know you can order the organic online, and maybe that's what needs to be done. I really don't know why I cannot get my bread to rise. Seems that it just may be the flour. I have been making the biscuits, and they rise a little, but not a lot. I know this is not a real help to you, but this is what is happening to me. Maybe it will help a bit. Good luck

{size=1}"I'll tell you the truth, if a man keeps my word, he will never see death." John 8:51{/size=1}
Go to Top of Page

jenne.f
True Blue Farmgirl

643 Posts

Jenne
Wagontown PA
USA
643 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2012 :  1:36:45 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Linda.
Tomorrow is my first baking day. I am wondering how my first loaf
will rise. I will continue to look for larger bags of organic flour,
online and in store.

Jenne

"Follow your bliss"

Farmgirl sister #4616
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2012 :  08:20:33 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Ladies- MaryJane has flour that is GREAT for the sourdough bread! If you are having a hard time finding good flour local- you might consider ordering from our favorite Farmgirl. I have been buying her flour for over a year now and it is great. It really makes a difference!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wff7Xpc/]

[/url]
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2012 :  08:21:20 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
http://shop.maryjanesfarm.org/store/p/101-Organic-Flour-Specialty-Sourdough.aspx

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wff7Xpc/]

[/url]
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2012 :  1:41:43 PM  Show Profile
Well it has been a very long time since I had used my Mother. So I felt it time for some yummy sourdough waffles I went to the fridge to rev up Mom and alas my daughter thought it was a mystery jar of goo and tossed it. I still love her but I miss Mom.
She was such a great Mother one not to be compared.

RIP Mother

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

shawneefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

91 Posts

Linda
Missouri
USA
91 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2012 :  09:32:21 AM  Show Profile
Oh Diana, I am so sorry to hear of the untimely demise of "mom". I am beginning to love her presence in my kitchen, too. Will you start up again? Hope so! In no time you will be making waffles, and such again!
Alee, thanks for the note on Mary Jane's flour. I have put off ordering online, because I thought I could find good flour in my area. Cannot believe that no one around here has organic flour!! It's suprising how uneducated we all are (or were) about the food that we eat. Anyway, it might be the middle of Dec. before I can order any flour, but I am convinced more and more that that will be the way to go!
Jenne - how did that 1st loaf of bread turn out?? I am anxious to hear about it. If it flopped, don't give up - many of these girls on here had the same flops, just like me. It just takes a couple of weeks for mom to build up her yeast (I think) Good luck, I can't wait to hear from you!!!
Linda

I'll tell you the truth, if a man keeps my word, he will never see death." John 8:51
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2013 :  07:55:26 AM  Show Profile
Quick question I am wanting to make the cinnamon raisin bread. I only see the recipe for the cinnamon raisin breakfast muffins. Is it different or is the recipe the same for both?

I just got my sourdough starter going again its been a few years and its the first time I will be using it. Thanks so much.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Jan 23 2013 08:38:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2013 :  6:34:57 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Brian for your reply. I made the bread and it turned out great. I have been making the cinnamon raisin bread twice a week and the family loves it.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

shawneefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

91 Posts

Linda
Missouri
USA
91 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2013 :  7:57:48 PM  Show Profile
Oh Linda! Where did you get the recipie for cinnamon raisin bread?? It sounds wonderful......would you mind sharing the recipie? Yum, yum!!!!

I'll tell you the truth, if a man keeps my word, he will never see death." John 8:51
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2013 :  10:27:52 AM  Show Profile
Linda it was on this thread I will see if I can find the page it was on.

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2013 :  10:34:18 AM  Show Profile
Okay go the the first page on on this thread. Click on the link and that takes you to the first page.... then at the bottom of that page it says 'lets get started'...click on that. I used the recipe for the breakfast cinnamon rolls. Its the same for the bread.

Cinnamon-Raisin Breakfast Rolls: To 2 cups mother, add ¾ t salt, 1/3 cup honey, 1½ t cinnamon, ¾ cup raisins, and ½ cup chopped walnuts. Mix thoroughly. Stir in 1 cup unbleached white flour and ½ cup whole wheat flour.
For the size batch I’ve started you out on, a 1½ to 2-quart lidded cast-iron saucepan works best. If your saucepan hasn’t been used much for baking, rub it with some butter and then line it with some parchment paper until it gets “seasoned” (becomes non-stick). Simply stuff a square of paper down into the pan or fuss a bit and cut out a bottom circle and sides.

Spoon your mass of sticky, gooey bread dough into the pan. Put the lid on, cocked ever so slightly so it can breathe, set aside in a warm place (at least 70°F), and wait 6–8 hours, or until it’s almost time for dinner. (If you want a smooth top, wet your hands and pat the top before you set it to rise.)

Now that your dough has risen all day (a slow, natural rise as opposed to a premature and forced yeast-made-in-a-factory rise), preheat your oven to 425°F. Put a muffin tin or broiler pan on the bottom shelf full of water. (I prefer a muffin tin because the water doesn’t slosh around as I’m putting it into the oven; I use an enamel muffin tin because it can’t ever rust.) Oven moisture is what will give your bread that moist, chewy, marvelous “crumb” that my father-in-law recognized instantly as the real deal, bursting with life and flavor ... just like Grandma’s bread. The cast iron gives it that thin, but crisp, slightly tough crust. At this point, I really can’t eat the cakey, boring bread sold in most stores these days. I want hearty. I want healthy. I want real. I want bread that doesn’t make me feel overly yeasty and yucky. Google “candida yeast” and you’ll know what I’m talking about.

Take the lid off the pan and put it in the oven on the middle shelf. Baking time will vary according to shape and size. Check for doneness at 20 minutes, using your thermometer. Once the internal temperature is 195–205°F and your bread is nicely browned, remove from the oven and tip your loaf out onto a cooling rack. (This will keep your crust crisp on all sides; a dishtowel on the counter will also work.) Butter the top while it’s hot if you want.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

wincrestnubians
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Jennifer
Ohio
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2013 :  11:22:17 AM  Show Profile

I know this isnt the sourdough bread, but I had to share.. I went treasure hunting through my freezer and found kushaw squash from 2011.. It smelled fine and tasted like it should. So I made two kushaw pies and 2 loaves of kushaw squash bread and then used peaches and blueberries from last yr that needed to be used, and made a big cobbler!! I think my child and hubby is going to really love it.. Plus I have a nice fresh pork roast in the crockpot! Yum!

Only those with an open mind can learn from ones own mistakes.
Go to Top of Page

shawneefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

91 Posts

Linda
Missouri
USA
91 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2013 :  6:07:31 PM  Show Profile
Linda - thank you so ever much for this cinnamon bread recipie ! It was so good!!!! I was slow in thanking you - cause I was too busy eating cinnamon bread, ha!ha!

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2013 :  6:16:41 PM  Show Profile
Your so welcome glad it worked out for you. I have been making this bread once a week and it has become a standby for hubby and my son. They will take it with them to work when they are in a hurry. We also like to slice it and then toast it in the toaster and put butter on it. The toasting makes it wonderful.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page

chris-ib
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Chris
San Diego CA
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2013 :  11:55:13 AM  Show Profile
First week I baked a brick. Last Saturday I took my "mother" over to my daughters house, put it on top of a flour canister about 6 inches below a light under her cupboard that puts off a good amount of heat. Left it for about 6 hours. I would peek at it every so often and could see it rising. (I had it in the cast iron pan) Was very pleased that it came out as good as it did and can only hope that as my "mother" gets older, it will get better and better. Did have to go an extra few minutes in the oven as my temp had not reached 195 in 20 minutes.
Go to Top of Page

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2013 :  7:55:13 PM  Show Profile
I love Montana Wheat flour. We're lucky, our local store carries it. I use it as well as KA flour. Montana Wheat's Prairie Gold flour makes really nice light whole wheat bread, cookies, scones, etc. A friend enlightened me about this flour. When we visit Montana every fall, I go to their bakery and enjoy some of their breads, muffins and cinnamon rolls. What a treat! We stock up and freeze.

quote:
Originally posted by shawneefarmgirl

Thought I would jump back on with an update and question...last week was week 1, and like everyone else , I baked a brick - ha!ha! Today I made pancakes - delicious !!!! and tonight I will try the biscuts. Thought I would give ma a break on the bread until next week #3. Most of the girls have said that by wk 3 their bread was a lot better. Now my question is has anyone tried the Wheat Montana brand flour? I am using King Arthur, but my store doesn't carry the organic. They do have the Wheat Montana organic, though. I was not sure how good their products were. Any thoughts??? ... Thanks!

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
http://vintagehousegoods.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2013 :  10:56:04 PM  Show Profile
I called MOntana Wheat's toll free number the other day. Some of their flours are labeled organic but they do grow their wheat without chemicals. They test their wheat for chemicals. I cannot buy their organic flour but one local market carries their all purpose flour, their Prairie gold and regular whole wheat.We can also buy an organic flour sold by Fairfield. Produced here in Washington state. I'm now going to call KA and ask them about their regular flour. I'm on a hunt.

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
http://vintagehousegoods.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MerryHeartSister
True Blue Farmgirl

158 Posts

Christy
Tuscaloosa Alabama
USA
158 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2014 :  04:44:23 AM  Show Profile
I added a 25 lb sack of organic flour to my Amazon order next month. This sounds much easier for a busy mom.

Farmgirl #1951
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2014 :  05:55:46 AM  Show Profile
I lost my mother October 2012 started a new one and lost her yesterday the jar actually stuck to the shelf in the fridge and when I pulled her out she left her bottom in the fridge. Rip mom I will start you again.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Dare2BUniquelyMe
Sharpshooter / Chapter Guru

143 Posts

Sherrilyn
Lake Tapps Washington
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2015 :  7:43:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Dare2BUniquelyMe an AOL message
When I was married to a service member, I used to make Amish Friendship Bread (a sourdough mother) often. I regularly shared the mother with my neighbors and any new families that came to our unit. It was a great way to break the ice and keep a little bit of home when you are away. When I couldn't give it away, I made the bread and sent it to work to feed the single soldiers. They all swore I was trying to fatten them up by feeding them homemade food.

Sherri
Sister 1350
Go to Top of Page

Dare2BUniquelyMe

143 Posts

Sherrilyn
Lake Tapps Washington
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2015 :  7:58:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Dare2BUniquelyMe an AOL message
I have a nice basic recipe for yeast bread that makes a wonderful loaf, and a variation that I use to make cinnamon rolls, so I made both this past weekend. Light, fluffy, and delicious as usual. I swapped the yeast for double acting baking powder (1:1 ratio) and made both recipes again tonight. The resulting bread was much more dense and needed to bake 10 minutes longer, same with the cinnamon rolls. The flavor of the baking powder over powered the flavor of the whole grain soft white wheat flour that I use.

For my family, we will keep the baking powder in our biscuits and cornbread, and the yeast in our bread. We are funny about our textures and flavors.

Sherri
Sister 1350
Go to Top of Page

Dare2BUniquelyMe

143 Posts

Sherrilyn
Lake Tapps Washington
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2015 :  09:46:28 AM  Show Profile  Send Dare2BUniquelyMe an AOL message
My mother has been going since Sunday and she is starting to smell divine. After 2 days she was loaded with bubbles, and even foaming a little. I can hardly wait to make my first loaf Saturday.

Sherri
Sister #1350
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 80 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Bread the MaryJane Way Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page