Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Need help identifying herbs & perennials
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Need help identifying herbs & perennials Next Topic  

onequiltychick
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

Kelly
Fairfield WA
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2005 :  1:16:32 PM  Show Profile
I moved into my house a little over a year ago. The previous owner planted lots of herbs and perennials in the yard and I don't know what most of them are! I would like to buy a book to help me identify them and I'm wondering if any of you have any favorite books to recommend. I have three beautiful lavendar bushes in the front planter, and I would also like to know how to cut and dry the lavendar. I live in the Northwest (Eastern Washington state). I'd sure appreciate your input before I head to the book store with my Christmas money! Thanks a bunch!
Kelly

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2005 :  4:36:39 PM  Show Profile
Kelly -

I don't have any book ideas for you, but if someone recommends a good book on the drying of Lavendar, I would also like to know. I have 3 plants that are starting to get to a nice size and would like to dry some of the flowers.

Anne

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2005 :  8:00:08 PM  Show Profile
Kelly - I would highly recommend Sunset Western Garden Book. It is a great book. Another great book is The Ann Lovejoy Handbook of Northwest Gardening: Natural-Sustainable-Organic. I have not seen the book but my favorite plant gal recommended it to me. Since I'm on the west side of the state our climate is totally different than yours. But I'm sure either of these books would work for you. If I were going to spend my money I'd buy the Sunset book first. Look at Amazon.com and you can probably find a used one cheaper. That's how I buy a lot of my books and most are like new.

http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2005 :  10:42:12 AM  Show Profile
Kelly, Try www.labyrinthhill.com for lavendar advice. Susan is the owner and she's very helpful. They are in Washington State too!
I'll agree with the Sunset Western Garden Book...can't beat it.I bet you can find one at a used bookstore. Also, is there a garden club in your area? Maybe they have members that would be willing to help identify?
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2006 :  10:17:18 AM  Show Profile
A very good book that I use is Lois Hole's "Herbs & Edible Flowers". There are very good, clear pictures for identifying most herbs as well as recipes and ideas for their use. It is also sprinkled with a little folklore about different herbs. Mostly I like this book because you don't have to be a botanist to use it!

Diane
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Need help identifying herbs & perennials Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page