New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Earthworm bins Next Topic  

Judi
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

34 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2006 :  6:13:47 PM  Show Profile
This is in response to Rosemary, who asked about my earthworm bin I keep in my basement. Rosemary, I simply took a large plastic storage box, drilled some holes in the bottom, sides and top, and laid a piece of window screen on the bottom. I put some dirt, leaves, etc. inside, along with some eartworms I had gathered from my garden in the fall. I placed this on top of a couple of boards and a piece of plastic, to catch any drainage if it got too wet. Then I fed much of my kitchen scraps into it all winter. By early spring I just let it sit, practically forgetting about it. When I looked in the summer, it was filled with beautiful black earthworm castings, as well as many more worms than I started with. I tried to seperate out many of the worms before i used the castings, probably creating more work for myself than necessary. Probably don't need more than a handful to start. Last year I had no problems with fruit flies, but this year I do. Some terrific suggestions for that are posted in "Cleaning Up".
This is not a very precise or scientific way of doing it, so any further suggestions would be appreciated.
Happy worming!

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2006 :  12:54:24 AM  Show Profile
Gee! This sounds pretty easy! I think I'll give it a try as soon as I can lay my hands on some earthworms. Too cold right now.

How do you use the castings? I've heard mixed advice about their effectiveness around veggies.

Rosemary
Go to Top of Page

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2348 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2348 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2006 :  09:26:05 AM  Show Profile
I have often thought of having a worm composting bin. I think I'll give it a try. The worms will also serve well for fishing.
Judi, on the other thread I mentioned how my Uncle Fred had me break the worms in half to increase the population. I wonder now if he did that because he didn't want to pick the worms out of the compost? I mention this because of your story of the kids on the basement floor picking out worms. Although, just like digging holes is good for character, pickin' worms can be, too!! Plus, it makes for a good story for when they grow up...."Can you believe we used to have to pick worms!....Oh yeah, those were the days"

Blessings
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

manda
Farmgirl in Training

49 Posts

amanda
corralitos cA
USA
49 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2006 :  10:32:29 PM  Show Profile
We have worm composter also it works great. The key is not to add too many kitchen scraps too fast. It takes time for the worms to eat through it all. We have the stacking bin which we got from county waste management (garbage company) and have added the end worm casting to our garden. There is a great book to help you get started called "Worms eat my Garbage"
Manda
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2006 :  08:46:48 AM  Show Profile
Can you keep the worm bin outdoors? I don't have a cellar. Maybe I could put one in the garage....
Go to Top of Page

manda
Farmgirl in Training

49 Posts

amanda
corralitos cA
USA
49 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2006 :  10:30:46 AM  Show Profile
We keep ours outside in a shady area but I am in California and rarely see frost. The garage would be a great place for one.
Manda
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2006 :  10:37:16 AM  Show Profile
There is already a large amount of information on this site under the topic garden gate. If you search "The worm book" and put "in the last year" and under my name "Eileen" you will come up with several places where the topic of vermicompost has been discussed along with a lot of how to info as well as resource material.
Eileen

Songbird; singing joy to the earth

Edited by - Eileen on Jan 09 2006 10:39:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

Judi
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

34 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2006 :  6:45:37 PM  Show Profile
I'd also suggest looking under "cleaning up" at "fruit flies in my home". I posted this looking for suggestions concerning my fruit flies, which I suspect are proliferating in my worm bin. Lot's of good suggestions.
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Earthworm bins Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page