Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 I got some chickens!!!!!!!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic I got some chickens!!!!!!!! Next Topic  

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2009 :  8:03:17 PM  Show Profile
I dragged my husband with me to the small animal auction tonight in Chatt. And I finally got some chickies!

When we got there I went to look at all the chickens to see what was available. I found a cage of what I thought were Brown Leghorn hens. And there were a few cages of Buffs and a whole big cage of Barred Rock hens and a rooster. I only had $60.00 to spend so I had to be ready. I was so nervous and exited. It took forever for my little brown hens to come out. I was a bit scared though, because they were all going for from $9.00-$12.00 a piece. There were a few Silkies, too, that went for $14.00 each.

So mine fianally came out and the bid started at $5.00 so I went for it. Someone else was bidding too. But I got all five for $7.00 a piece!

When it was over we went back to get them and the cage looked different. It was smaller, but had my name on it. We took it into the light and saw that I had bid on a different bunch. But I am glad I got these because the others turned out to be a different kind.

Anyway, I have what looks like 2 Golden Lace Wyandottes, 2 red ones that could be RIR, (but I hope not), and underneath all those was a little Barred Rock baby. I never saw her in there. So I really got a good surprise! I am so happy. They're in the garage right now and in the morning I'll take them out to their new home. I gave them water and the poor things were so thirsty. There's no telling how long they'd been in that little cage.

So now I am back in the chicken business! I have never only had 5 hens before. I'm sure I'll get more later. These are probably only about 4-5 months old. So I have to wait for eggs for a few months.

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb

BlackHorseFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

91 Posts

Elizabeth
Chicago IL
USA
91 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2009 :  8:20:00 PM  Show Profile
Congrats on your new chickens!! Have fun and dream on rich golden egg yolks!
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2009 :  8:57:30 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Sounds fun. I ordered some chicks that should be here ext week... YEA!

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/http://renenaturallyspeaking.blogspot.com/

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2009 :  05:04:51 AM  Show Profile
Yay, Kris!! I love my RIRs. They are the friendliest of my five towards visitors, especially little children. I bet the new girls are thrilled to be at your house! Are they going to free range? Mine have just about torn up the garden for me in the past few weeks. I should have some nice soil to put herbs into by Spring!
Have fun with your new babies. :)

Karin

Farmgirl Sister
# 18 :)

www.perfectlittlemiracle.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Especially For You
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

Tina
Watkinsville GA
541 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2009 :  06:28:21 AM  Show Profile
Yay, Good job Kris. Have fun with new girls. I can't wait to get mine!

Tina
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2009 :  06:36:26 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
Yay! Chicken tv is back on at your house. The best intertainment in the country!

What we write today slipped into our souls some other day when we were alone and doing nothing.
-Brenda Ueland

http://quilandneedle.blogspot.com/

http://musingandmuttering.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2009 :  08:03:25 AM  Show Profile
well, they sure look alot better this morning. I can really see them good now. i do believe one of the red ones is a little roo. He will have to go because I already have my Russell Crowe boy and I realy got these for him. And he's just the sweetest ole guy. The best roo I have ever had.

They are all really pretty. And the little BR is much bigger now that she's able to stand up and move around. I am so glad I got them. I will probably go back in 2 weeks to see if I can get some older ones that are laying now.

Karin, yes, they will be free range girls. I have always just let mine go where ever they want. And they do!

Rene and Tina, what kind are ya'll getting? And are they babies?

Kris

Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2009 :  09:25:05 AM  Show Profile
That's so exciting.

And thst's how it all starts, just a few and the next thing you know you have a whole yard full!

It gets addicting.

I placed a chick order last week and come to find out, the hatchery was poised and rerady to ship THAT SAME DAY! Luckily someone on the other end called to clairify, so I'm waiting for a stretch of a few days off for bonding time.

The chicks should arrive in 2 weeks.

And this years newest addition will be a dark brahma.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2009 :  10:43:39 AM  Show Profile
I love little baby chicks but this year I just want to get full grown already and skip all the work. There were a few of the light colored Brahmas last night but they went for about $13 a piece. Too pricey for me right now.

I just put all the chickies out in the hen house.The 2 red one's feet are crooked. Probably why they got rid of them. I hope they'll be alright. they seem to be. And the gold one had one of those plastic ties on her leg. We got it off. They are all so sweet and not feisty or mean at all. I have held then and pet them and they never even squacked. I love them already.

Now I think I will name these gals. I just need to come up with the right ones. I'll have to watch them for awhile.

I HAVE THE CALVES OUT THERE IN THE PASTURE AND THEY HAVE TO STICK THEIR NOSES IN EVERYTHING. tHEY NEEDED TO SEE WHAT i WAS PUTTING IN THERE. sO i HELD EACH ONE (OOPPSSS!) to their noses for them to see them. Can ya'll tell I have to look at the keys when I type?? Oh well. The guineas are curios, too. And Russell wants to meet them, too. But he'll have to wait awhile.

Anna, what kind are you getting?

Kris

Go to Top of Page

gspringman
True Blue Farmgirl

387 Posts

Gail
Bonanza Oregon
USA
387 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2009 :  11:19:43 AM  Show Profile  Send gspringman a Yahoo! Message
Hello Kris, I think its wonderful and really sweet the way you described that you purchased a diff batch than what you thought you bid on. I think they will be very glad your their momma. I just got back into the chickens for the last two years since I am now where I can have them again. They are so fun to watch.
Enjoy.

Gail
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2009 :  03:23:36 AM  Show Profile
To appease hubby, for now, I ordered just a few more black sex links, 3 production reds and of course, I snuck in the dark brhama. I'll be waiting 'till mid March for the blue cochins to start hatching. I'll be getting 4 hens of these and 4 blue cochin bantams. I;m still searching in vane trying to locate blue orpingtons, and coming up bust. May have to wait 'till our state fair comes around again (where I saw these for the first time last year) and REMEMBER to make a call to the farm that ownes these and actually make an offer.

And I'm all excited about the brahma. (hen) Saw an article in Backyard Poultry, and darned if I can't find that issue to save me. I just know they are docile and relly big :)

As a what- the- hey, this time I ordered from Burkey...oh I can't recall the whole name.

So far customer relations has been great to work with.
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2009 :  1:02:06 PM  Show Profile
HORRAY! you are a "Chicken Momma" again.. I am happy for you.. My poor girls are not coming out of the "HenStudio" today. Their feathers would be blown clean off them. The wind is howling outside. It snowed a bit last night and I had to go out this morning and do some heavy staple work on the tacking down the tarp that covers their fenced yard. The wind had blown all night and the girls were all huddled together in a corner. I am sure they are warm enough.. but want them to be able to come outside
their studio for fresh air, The sun is shining at least and no snow right now, expecting a bit tonight & rain tomorrow,. I am getting to not like winter... brrrrrrr 38 degrees is Not warm enough for me..think I will go have cuppa hot tea, and plan dinner.. I think Homemade fish & chips are in order.

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309

Almost daily posts at:
http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/

Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise',
I wash my mouth out with chocolate.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2009 :  5:15:39 PM  Show Profile
Cheryl, I have changed my mind about winter, too. Not likin' this cold weather anymore and am ready for the spring time. I have stayed cold for months now. I hope the weather there gets warmer soon. Poor chickies are probably wanting warm weather, too. It's pretty cold when a chicken won't come out.

Me and the grandkids went for a hike outback with the goats. They had a ball. Picked daffodills and the goats ate honeysuckle vines. So when we got back home my hubby's not there. When he gets back he has a big ole cage in the back of the truck. Our SIL called and said to come down to his bosses house and get some chickens he didn't want anymore. So I have 4 more hens!!! They are probably 6-7 months old. There was a rooster, too. I gave him to my friend. So he's gone already.

Now the first 5 I got the other night are loose in the hen house. I got a 50 lb bag of grower-finisher for them. So I put the other 4 in a cage in there with them. I guess I'll keep them in the cage for awhile to get them used to each other. The new ones are a bit bigger.

So I have gone from 0 to 5 now to 9 in just a few days. I love it. I have really missed having chickens. I hope these girls are good ones. Also I was wondering when I can put Russell Crowe in with them. He's really curious about all these new girls in his house.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

RobinB
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Robin
Rockvale Tennessee
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2009 :  5:26:31 PM  Show Profile
Congrats on your new chickens! Is the auction in Chattanooga a regular thing? I'm only about 1.5 hours from there.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2009 :  5:50:32 PM  Show Profile
Hey Robin. Yes, the auction is every week. They do cattle every Monday at 1:00. Then every other Friday night at 7 they have the small animals like poultry and rabbits, sheep and goats. The other night there was a little pony , too and some donkeys. There was a beautiful Nubian doe with twin kids in a stall. I asked about them and they were already sold. I would have probably bought them.

Anyway, I was going to go again in 2 weeks. I might see you there. It's on Broad St. right behind the Taco Bell. Ya'll come!

Kris

Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2009 :  6:02:55 PM  Show Profile
Good for you Kristin. I am happy for you... Now I want a couple more girls... DH said he would like a rooster too.. So we probably will get a few more.... Yippeeeeee! Im doing the happy chicken dance!

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309

Almost daily posts at:
http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/

Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise',
I wash my mouth out with chocolate.
Go to Top of Page

milkmaid
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Heather
Higginsville Missouri
USA
187 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2009 :  7:51:06 PM  Show Profile
Ohh what a lucky girl you are!! I love to go to the auction and look around well I say look but ALWAYS come home with something!!
Heather

http://goodfarm.blogspot.com/

Mother to five awesome kids, wife of 17 years and milk maid to two beautiful cows. Living the good life!!!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  11:16:03 AM  Show Profile
I had to separate the little Barred Rock baby b/c she is just not well. I have called 2 vets and one is out of town for a week and the other was at lunch. I think she just might have a resp. infection and needs some antibiotics. But who knows how much to give a little chickie. And the one lady at the first vet said I'd have to give her a shot. So where do you give a chicken a shot without hitting bone? I do have penicilin and can do it but oh I hate giving shots.

So you really need to be careful about buying at an auction and bringing disease home with them. Thank goodness I did not have other chickens. I hope the others will be ok. It's just a big risk and there's no telling what's wrong with them. I hope she'll get better soon. Now the next problem will be the others picking on her when they get back together.

Has anyone had a chicken with resperatory infection? What did you do for them?

Kris

Go to Top of Page

farm~maid
True Blue Farmgirl

176 Posts

Christine
IN
USA
176 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  1:15:00 PM  Show Profile
Oh, sorry about the sick little chick. Did you hear back from the vet? I should know this, but I don't. I just call my Dad and he comes to the rescue. I always say I'm going to start a journal and write things down concerning the chickens. I do this for the cows - the chicken deserve it, too.

Glad to hear you're place will be the picture of any good farm - chickens running around at their leasure, ridding the yard of unwanted insects. They also add a bit of entertainment. And, we can't forget those wonderful eggs.

Christine
Go to Top of Page

sunflowercritters
True Blue Farmgirl

1102 Posts

Debra
Springfield Maine
USA
1102 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  1:25:56 PM  Show Profile
Hi ladies just was wondering when is the good time to order chicks in mail order? what kind of hens would be good for laying/ and where or best place to order/prices them? My husband and I would like to get some this year. I grew up on a farm when I was younger and don't remember what my dad got for hens/roosters. I cann't ask him because in December I lost both my parents a week apart. So it has been a big part of me hurting I miss them so.
farmgirl sister #462

Worry ends Where Faith in God begins.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  2:49:30 PM  Show Profile
Christine, I did hear from the vet. He said I did the right thing to keep her separated til she improves, if she does. He said I could bring her in, but a vet visit is $36 plus whatever he does plus it's 25 miles to there. I said I just paid $7 for her, so I probably won't be bringing her in. Sorry, but I could buy twice as many more chickens for what it cost to do that. Nope. It may sound heartless, but it is just a chicken. He did say I could give her a bit of Neomyacin mixed with water. So I did that. She's eating and drinking good. So we'll see.

Debra, so sorry about your parents. I would be lost without my mom. She's 76. But now is the time to order your babies. I have my favorites, which are Barred Rock and Auracanas. I want to get some Buff Orpingtons, too. They are supposed to lay every day. I would like to get some heritage breeds soon, too. There are lots of dual-purpose birds now. For meat and eggs. Have fun choosing them.

Kris

Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2009 :  5:09:00 PM  Show Profile
Hi Debra.

Most hatcheries are shipping now and continue to ship till almost fall. Each hatchery has its own policies.

I have used IDEAL for my stock hens. Those being the production reds, rhode island reds, black sex links, orpingtons, just about all the common breeds you can think of really.

Go ahead and do your research. Some hatcheries will sell and ship smaller orders than 25 chicks for a very niminal fee.

i'm also picky about ship dates gelling with scheduled days off, so be sure to note when hatcheries ship. And I think nearly all of them have free catalogs you can request.

the last hathery I ordered from was Randall Burkey THAT"S IT! As stated before, those shicks will ship in weeks after I call w/ a confirmation date.

And read up on how prolific a layer each breed is. Some look pretty but don't produce many eggs throughout the year. Some like the above mentioned lay nearly ALL the time and are cold tolerant to keep laying in the winter.
Go to Top of Page

Kelly Wall
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Kelly
Apison TN
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2009 :  3:40:06 PM  Show Profile
Kris,
OOPs I thought they were chicks! Congrats anyway!

Kelly
Farmgirl #238
Go to Top of Page

frolicnfibers
True Blue Farmgirl

668 Posts

Diana
White City Oregon
USA
668 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  07:20:40 AM  Show Profile
Congrats Kris! We're waiting to get more girls till the new barn is done. We're trying our best but the weather has been difficult :) I may have to cheat and put ours in the garage also!

Diana

Please come visit my animals and my Etsy store on my new blog!
http://www.frolicnfibers.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic I got some chickens!!!!!!!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page