Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 WANTED: Your Chicken Advice
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic WANTED: Your Chicken Advice Next Topic  

TheresaB
True Blue Farmgirl

393 Posts

Theresa
Loveland Colorado
USA
393 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2009 :  08:25:11 AM  Show Profile
Hey there Ladies,

I want to get some chickens (maybe 6 - 10). Just for the eggs and the watchablility factor. So, I'm looking for your top tips for new chicken owners. Where do get them, how to house them, what to feed them, etc. Anything you find very useful in raising your own chickens. Anyone sell chicks or pullets? Anyone have the Easter Egg Chickens?

Ok, now I'll stand back. . . let the knowledge transfer begin!!!

Thanks in advance!

Come check out the new Sisterhood Dolls on my blog and etsy store!

Theresa in Colorado
Proud Farmgirl Sister #124
www.thegypsysdaughter.etsy.com
www.thegypsysdaughter.blogspot.com

"I see skies of blue, clouds of white, the bright blessed day, the dark sacred night, and I think to myself, "What a Wonderful World!" ~ Louis Armstrong

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2009 :  09:00:02 AM  Show Profile
I have been raising chickens for nearly 20yrs, so I know a LITTL BIT about the subject.

First thing you need to decide is if you are going to "Free range" them (or, basically, let them run WILD!), or put them in a "Proper" chicken house. We converted an old shed on the property-- added nesting boxes, roosts, a fenced yard... that's about the EASIEST thing to do rather than build from scratch, but chicken houses don't HAVE to be fancy-- unless that's what you WANT, of course. Whatever you choose to do, the chickens will disappear VERY quickly from predators if they are not secured safely at night. Skunk, Raccoon, Opossum, Bob cats, coyote, dogs, etc... just LOOOVE a good chicken dinner too, so your chicken house DOES have to rival Fort Knox for SECURITY!

As for getting baby chicks you can find them in the Spring (about March to the first week of June) in local feed stores and through mail order companies-- some of which will have chicks available year round. Just type in "Chick Hatcheries" on your browser and a whole list of places will come up. You might also check your area for Local breeders.

There are some good websites that offer EXCELLENT advice on poultry raising.
"Feathersite" is one of them and I believe most Hatcheries will also offer free advice on their websites. Certainly the local breeders, and maybe even the people who work at the feed store will have helpful advice as well.

Chickens ARE fun, but they are also MESSY and will poop on ANYTHING and EVERYTHING, they are VERY DESTRUCTIVE and will eat or scratch up EVERYTHING!!! Even a pile of raked up dog poop if you turn you back for a second! Their curiosity often will bring them to a bad end as well.

But you know, I LOVE my chickens. They really are quite entertaining and it's fun to watch them interact with one another and even other critters around the farm. They are also good for keeping ticks and other "Bad Bugs" away from the farm and off the other animals. I've seen them kill and eat MICE!!! (No kidding!) I've even had one hen that would kill and eat small snakes if they ventured too close to her.

Good luck to you Theresa, and have fun with your birds when you get them!

Oh, and the "Easter Egg Chicken" is the "Americauna" (not to be confused with the "Aracauna" -- though some places will call the Americauna's "Aracuana's" -- which is the "Original" Easter Egg Chicken-- a TRUE Aracauna has NO TAIL and very LOW fertility rates, so the AMERICAUNA was developed to produce the colored eggs, but is much more fertile and they are GREAT egg layers and mothers. They come in a rainbow of colors and patterns and most have puffy cheeks and "beards." They are really nice birds too. I've always had some in my own flock of odd ball chickens!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2009 :  09:17:42 AM  Show Profile
Theresa- Alot of good information given by Tracey. Just a few things to add. If you buy from your local feed store keep in mind that those cute little chicks are not hens only, make sure you are buying females! I would hate for you to buy 6 chicks and a few months later find that 2 of them are roosters. A great book to read/buy for beginners is-Storey's Guide to Raising Chicken by Gail Damerow. As far as breeds, Orpingtons are very sweet and gentle, mine are also rather quiet. I have Delewares too and they are a bit noiser and a little more on the busy side. I had and Easter Egg Rooster (notice I said had) and will never do that again. He was very mean to the girls and I didn't keep him long enough to get mean with me. I have a friend that had Easter Egg hens for quite a long time and she said they had a tendency to pick on each other and were her leas favorite of the breeds she owned.

Hope this helps, and I really do reccomend the book. There is so much information in there.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2009 :  09:37:06 AM  Show Profile
i work at meyerhatchery.com. We own all our own stock. And carry ameracuana's as well as aracauna bantams. You can call the toll free number online (and talk to me, or someone else) for more info.

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-Mother Hen

http://harvestthymefarm.etsy.com
http://heirloommavens.blogspot.com
http://harvestthymefarm.blogspot.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2009 :  10:05:35 AM  Show Profile
Ms. Lilly's right about the feed store birds. You really don't want "Straight Run" chicks if you don't want roosters too. You want birds specified as "Pullets". They will still lay eggs, of course, you just won't get any chicks!! There is also a much more limited selection of pullet breeds from a local feed store, and a breeder might not be able to sex the birds for you at all.

I personally like the Orpingtons too, as well as Cochins (though that breed is more for Lookin' at, rather than egg laying). Dominiques (smaller than Barred Rocks) are WONDERFUL for egg production (medium sized brown eggs) and they are the BEST mothers! On average, my Dominique hens hatched 12-15 babies and raised MOST (if not ALL) to "adulthood" on their own. I didn't have to brood them. When I had that breed I never had to buy chicks for YEARS!!! Jersey giants are nice birds as well, but, notice the word GIANT-- they tend to eat quite a lot. Faverolles are neat birds too and non-agressive. So are the Brahmas and they are good for Winter laying (so are the Orpingtons)

There are soooo many different breeds out there to choose from. Some are quiet, some are loud, some are nice, some are VERY MEAN!!! Some birds within certain breeds can be mean too, while others of the same breed are not. A friend of mine had a "Easter Egg" rooster and he was very sweet. I had also always been told that Rhode Island Red roosters were mean, but I had the sweetest rooster you ever saw! Some of my Dominique roosters were mean and would try to spur you, others were very sweet and never "gave you the eye!" It's just hard to know from one bird to the next what type of personality they will have. Just like PEOPLE I guess.

After so many years of rasing so many different breeds, I sure learned quickly which ones I DON'T like!!! (Polish Roosters are at the top of my list! Lakenvelders (even the CHICKS are agressive!) come in at a close second!). Decide what you want the birds for, maybe pick a few pullets from a couple different breeds and see which ones you like best. You will DEFINITELY find a favorite or two-- we ALL do!!!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

TheresaB
True Blue Farmgirl

393 Posts

Theresa
Loveland Colorado
USA
393 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2009 :  11:31:54 AM  Show Profile
Love all this advice! Keep it coming, I'm taking notes!

Theresa in Colorado

"I see skies of blue, clouds of white, the bright blessed day, the dark sacred night, and I think to myself, "What a Wonderful World!" ~ Louis Armstrong
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2009 :  5:33:23 PM  Show Profile
I love chickens. I sold all mine a few months ago because they quit laying. We have an auction near here and every other friday they sell poultry and sheep and goats. I am going next week and getting some more. I just can't stand not having chickens here.

And you do not have to have a rooster to have get eggs. They will lay eggs regardless. But they jusy won't be fertile. I've heard fertile eggs are better for you, though. I have a rooster now that did not get sold and he's quite a lonely boy. I keep telling him to hold on, I'm going to get him somw girls next week. He's ok with that, poor guy.

I have always let mine free-range. You have to watch them though, because sometimes they will lay other places besides the nesters. And speaking of nesters, you only need one nest bow for 4-5 hens. In fact, all mine would lay in about 4 nests. And I had 3 of the long ones with 6 in each one. And they will wait in line to lay in the same nest, too, when there are 20 other nests wide open. Chickens can be a little crazy.

Also about feed. I don't know if anyone mentioned scratch or laying mash. I have done experiments with both and didn't see a big difference at all. So I just fed 3-way scratch and scraps. Always make sure they have clean fresh water, too.

Oh, and we have a market bulletin here in GA. and people sell all kinds of farm critters there. You could try Craig's list or an auction. I don't think I want to raise baby chicks now so will pay a bit more for hens already laying. Chick starter feed is very expensive now.

Good luck, Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2009 :  5:35:29 PM  Show Profile
I forgot to say I love Barred Rock. And I think I'd like to get some Coockoo Marans, too. Ans maybe a few banty's to set on eggs. They are good to do that.

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2009 :  5:58:12 PM  Show Profile
My personal faves are my blue andalusian, and my ameracaunas. Love the Columbian Wyandottes and as far as antics, I love my Black Crested White Polish. Oh yeah, German Spitzhaubens are cool too.

Dawn #279

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

TheresaB
True Blue Farmgirl

393 Posts

Theresa
Loveland Colorado
USA
393 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2009 :  1:16:05 PM  Show Profile
Dawn,

When will chicks be available where you work?

Theresa in Colorado

Go to Top of Page

TheresaB
True Blue Farmgirl

393 Posts

Theresa
Loveland Colorado
USA
393 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2009 :  2:35:44 PM  Show Profile
Thank you again, Ladies, for all the wonderful advice. Just wanted to let you know I'm interested in bartering for some chook supplies. Please see my post on the barter board!

Theresa in Colorado

Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  06:54:01 AM  Show Profile
Theresa, feed them milk in their grain. That will yellow up their yolks which makes for great homemade pasta! If you add greens to their diet, you now have added omega 3 to your eggs, whch in turn is good for you. Oh, the eat anything and everything. My goats are so picky, chickens are not.

Kim
Farmgirl Sister # 302
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  07:08:07 AM  Show Profile
We are taking orders now. 888.568.9755 start hatching on Feb 23

Dawn #279

Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  5:10:29 PM  Show Profile
Theresa, my SIL has Buff Orphingtons and recommended we get those. We got two hens (not chicks)and they are so gentle and they have been laying eggs everyday since we brought them home. We also have 1 Bard Rock ( beautiful black & white speckle )she lays about every other day and one Rhode Island Red, She hasn't laid yet, but her previous owner said she was very good in the warmer weather. It is snowing here in Klamath Falls right now and barely 30 degrees and the Buffs laid eggs this morning.. ILove my chickens, You are going to really enjoy yours. I think the Buffs are best for us here in colder climate.

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309

Almost daily posts at:
http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/

Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise',
I wash my mouth out with chocolate.
Go to Top of Page

stacyluu
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

stacy
tuttle oklahoma
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  10:51:44 PM  Show Profile
my buff orpington..."Babs" is sweet, gentle, curious...my 4yo loves to feed her scratch from her hand...she has got quite the personality...so different from the other hens...i love her...she laid faithfully right thru the cold weather..chicken tractors are great, they love to travel and eat juicy grass and bugs...and they love table scraps!..although i love her a lot, i like having different kinds to look at and compare..and i can tell who is who..
Go to Top of Page

LisaTwo
True Blue Farmgirl

127 Posts

Lisa
Hampden Maine
USA
127 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  06:57:20 AM  Show Profile
Dear Theresa:

All wonderful advice. I have a hodgepodge of chickens-Americauna/Phoenix crosses, Rhode Island Reds, Silver Lace Wyandotte, Barred Rocks, Black Austrolops and Leghorns and one Silkie Roo named Charles. I also have a Black Austrolop hen that I purchased at the State Fair from the back of a van. (Kind of like a fake Rolex)HER name is Rosie and the weirdest thing is that as she got bigger (and I mean HUGE) she started to crow and grow a big waddle on top of her head and spurs and SHE does the most unspeakable things to my hens. My point is that with all the knowledge in the world you will still be surprised and the best way to learn about anything is to just do it. Chickens are pretty tough, don't be afraid that you'll make mistakes-Coming from someone who rushed a Rhode Island Red hen to the vet because she sounded "stuffed up". Chickens are very rewarding and you'll be an expert in no time!

Good luck,
Lisa

Imagining a place that's always safe and warm...Come in she said I'll give ya shelter from the storm. ***Dylan

Edited by - LisaTwo on Feb 11 2009 07:00:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

TheresaB
True Blue Farmgirl

393 Posts

Theresa
Loveland Colorado
USA
393 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  08:00:00 AM  Show Profile
*Hen House Raising Sale*

The Hubster has agreed to hens!!! However, I have to raise the money to convert the garden shed and pay for chicks and supplies. So . . . it's SUPER SALE time! The first 10 Sisterhood Doll orders will get. . . 50% off!!!! These are CUSTOM dolls. You pick hair color, apron trim color and one extra (hen, pie, veggie basket). If you are a Sisterhood Member your doll can have a patch with your # embroidered on her overalls!

Contact me quick to get on the list!

Theresa in Colorado

Go to Top of Page

Grandma Mar
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

Marlene
Bolingbrook IL
USA
36 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  1:40:27 PM  Show Profile
I raised chickens years ago when I lived on my West Va. farm. My husband and I were clueless as to how to care for them, but learned quickly under the mentoring of friendly neighbors. One simple piece of advice they gave us proved invaluable when we wanted to get the hens accustomed to laying eggs in their new home. They said to put a plastic egg in each nest and it will get them to lay. It worked almost immediately and we had eggs on a regular basis afterwards.

Mend and make do. - Old English Proverb
Go to Top of Page

sunflowercritters
True Blue Farmgirl

1102 Posts

Debra
Springfield Maine
USA
1102 Posts

Posted - Feb 13 2009 :  7:33:05 PM  Show Profile
Hi Dawn
I'm a new farmgirl sister and my husband and myself are interested in raiseing laying hens and meat birds. What kind whould you say would be good to get? What the costs of your chicks? What kinds do you have? Most of all when would it be a good time to get them threw the mail orders? (safe's time to order)
thanks for any help we can get. I'm so excited to get some chickens/hens/roasters. My dad was a farmer when I was younger and looking forward to getting into again. We raise goats and use them for milking/cheese/meat/soapmaking and pulling a wagon with my grandchildren and adults they are so much fun and make a great pets as well. My husband raises sled dogs for winter racing.
farmgirl sister #462

Worry ends Where Faith in God begins.
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2009 :  5:23:11 PM  Show Profile
Debra: How neat! I really thiink almost any standard bird is a good one to get. Most farmgirls here on the forum really like the Buff Orpingtons and Ameracuana's (they lay the blueish green eggs). I'd stick with standard heritage breeds like Barred Rocks, Black Australorp and Delawares. Can't go wrong with any of those. Our prices range from 2.53 to 2.70 per bird and the prices go down when you order larger quantities. A good way to get a colorful variety and great egg production (In my opinion) is to get a brown egg layer assortment. You save a few pennies per bird, and get 25 of the best brown egg layers a hatchery has. Most hatcheries offer some kind of assortment.

Your in Maine, I'm not sure when it starts to warm up your way, but am thinking if you got your baby chicks around mid April, then they'd be more than ready for the "big coop" by the end of May.

Welcome to the connection Debra! I'm sure you are finding a wealth of info here. This place is amazing, any problem/question with cooking, sewing or animals is only a post away from farmgirl advice! Let me know if you need any more help, I'm happy to answer questions and if I dont know, someone here certainly does! I'd like to hear more about your soap!!

Dawn #279

Go to Top of Page

DJSmiles
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Darlene
Kalispell Montana
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2009 :  5:55:51 PM  Show Profile
Some great advice has been given already!

I just wanted to comment on feeding your chickens. To get the best egg production from your hens, you'll want to feed them either laying mash,laying crumbles or laying pellets. These are bag feeds that come pre-mixed with the proper protien ratio for your girls to make and lay eggs. The only differance in the three listed above is the shape they come in. Pellets have less waste, but my girls personally didn't like them : ) Mash is fine ground, and crumbles fall in the middle. I buy the crumbles.

Scratch is a treat that you can give to your girls, but it shouldn't overwhelm their diet so that they are not eating the layer crumbles. If you would like them to lay lots of eggs and lay for a good long time, you will need to feed them pre-mixed layer feed.

Another treat that your girls will love is Black Oil Sunflower Seeds. On many chicken forums its known as chicken crack, because your girls will LOVE it. If you allow your girls to roam about the yard or farm during the day, its a good way to bring them back to the coop!

You can feed your hens pieces of fruit, they LOVE lettuce and greens, fresh corn, cauliflower etc. Just make sure that you don't feed them so much that they ignore their feed.

Free ranging your hens is another option for feeding them, however even if you free range your girls, you will still need to feed them the layer crumbles to ensure they are getting all that they need. You will also have to be cautious about what they get into while ranging. last year my husband let the girls out during peak tomato season, and my tomatoes didn't fare well

Another thing to think about when feeding your girls, is calcium so that they will be able to form nice hard shells. You can offer calcium in the form of oyster shell. If you put a feeder with oyster shell in it, they will take what they need.

If your girls are not free ranged, and will be kept in an enclosure without natural earth for them to scratch in, you will also need to provide grit for them so that they can process the food correctly in their crop.

Oyster shell, Grit, Layer , and Scratch can all be found at your local feed store.

I cannot tell you the joy my chickens bring me. I have had my girls for several years and they are laying just perfectly. Each day when I collect my eggs, I feel such simple and pure happiness!

Good luck!

Darlene

Go to Top of Page

BlackHorseFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

91 Posts

Elizabeth
Chicago IL
USA
91 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2009 :  6:06:15 PM  Show Profile
I don't know what it is about chickens but they really are one of the most addicting little animals. I can watch mine forever. There is just something wholesome about some hens running around the yard picking in the grass.

You have some really great info coming in so I will just add my two cents for breeds. I loved my Easter Egger, barred rocks, Marans, in fact I can not honestly say that I have a favorite. I love the variety. Some hatcheries have mixes, like you can get a brown egg layer mix or white egg layer mix. I love my brown eggs.

I will also add that I hate crumble food, I feed pellets. It is just a personal preference. I feel they waste less of the pellets, but crumble is more popular for some reason. To each her own. :)

Good luck with your chickies.
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  08:40:53 AM  Show Profile
All good advice, I only have 4 hens, and two are buff orphingtons. One BR and one RIR. She has been the odd one. Shehas not laid eggs, the others do. We get 2-3 a day. I noticed her feathers are on the floor of the coop so I dusted her and the others with mite dust yesterday., Hoping that was the problem, She eats well and drinks water like the rest.knid of the loner bird... She just doesnt look as fluffy and the feathers are either beiong pecked by her * I have not noticed the others picking on her, she is one of the bit older birds like the BR but her hieny & chest feathers are my concern. We will see what happens.

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309

Almost daily posts at:
http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/

Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise',
I wash my mouth out with chocolate.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic WANTED: Your Chicken Advice Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: