Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Looking for a dog food and cat food recipe
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Looking for a dog food and cat food recipe Next Topic  

clux64
True Blue Farmgirl

162 Posts

Celeste
Blair NE
USA
162 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  08:23:12 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone make their own dog/cat food? Do you have a good recipe. In my effort to be more green, I'm trying to buy domestic dog food....now I'm stepping on my efforts to be more frugal. I'm making everything else, surely there are good recipes for pet food out there. I googled, but I would rather get my information from my farmgirl friends. I have a miniature American Eskimo, a young Chocolate lab and a bunch of farm kitties (who live more in the house than out). Any and all help would be appreciated!

Celeste

"No matter where you go, there you are"
--Confucious

www.urbanprairiehome.blogspot.com

www.kitchen-klatter-urbanprairiehome.blogspot.com

Edited by - clux64 on Feb 18 2009 08:24:24 AM

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  08:48:10 AM  Show Profile
Hi Celeste (love your name)- I make my own dog food and I can tell you it won't be more economical, especially for large dogs. This is how it is done in my house. The dogs get some holistic (store bought) dog food in the morning with a little bit of milk, in the evening they get what I have cooked for them. I make all of their doggie treats. It is much harder to meet the nutritional needs of a cat then a dog. My cat will usually gets a smidgen of what I gave the dogs but she is actually in kidney failure and gets whatever she wants.

There are books out there with recipes and alot of biscut recipes on line. Ok what do I cook for the dogs? I have found they will eat most anything. I cook a big enough pot to last a few days. Last nights dinner consisted of- Ground Turkey, wild/brown rice, shredded apple, mashed pumpkin, and a handful of split peas. I alot of times make a really huge batch and freeze it in dinner size container for those busy nights. Today I will probably make up some sort of stew for them- Beef chunks, potatos, carrots and some broccoli. Do remember there are a few things that are not good for dogs- onions, grapes, avocados, macadamia nuts, and garlic (garlic is controversial).

People think I am nuts to cook for my dogs, but I do belive they are halthier for it and I know what is in their food. The reason I make sure they have some sort of dry kibble is if something should happen and I am not there to cook for them, I wouldn't want them to starve! Besides Commercial dog food didn't come along until the 1950's so what did dogs eat before that? People food.

I do have some biscut recipes if you want them just let me know.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

twzlrwho
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

christina
dewitt va
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  09:34:31 AM  Show Profile
What is bad about garlic? I'm not saying you are wrong, I just didn't know. I have seen it used to keep fleas away and was thinking about doing that myself, but I don't know now.

Christina

Work like you don't have to, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like nobody is watching :)
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  10:51:47 AM  Show Profile
Christina- I use small amounts of garlic in my dog food sometimes. It depends where you look and who you ask if garlic is bad. It is a member of the onion family and this is why it is supposed to be bad, but honestly I am not sure who to belive on this one. So I just use it in small amounts if at all.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

twzlrwho
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

christina
dewitt va
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Feb 18 2009 :  11:07:24 AM  Show Profile
Oh, ok. Thanks!

Christina

Work like you don't have to, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like nobody is watching :)
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Looking for a dog food and cat food recipe Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page