Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Easy homemade bread(even my husband is making it)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Easy homemade bread(even my husband is making it) Next Topic  

corporatefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

389 Posts

Tamara
Pikeville TN
USA
389 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2009 :  09:27:07 AM  Show Profile
I have a artisan bread recipe that is just wonderful. The best thing is I can make a batch of dough on the weekend, keep it in the fridge and pull dough from it all week for delicious bread! It is so easy that now my husband is making it on his own!!!!

1.In a large bowl add 1 1/2 Tablespoons of salt and 1 1/2 Tablespoons of yeast to 3 cups of warm water. Mix a little ( don't worry if the yeast doesn't dissolve all the way).

2. To the water mixture I add 6 1/2 cups of organic all purpose flour. Mix in just a half a cup at a time. I use my stand mixer but you can mix by hand

3. The mixture will be sticky. Pour into a large oiled ceramic bowl and let rise for 2 - 3 hours.

4. After this you simple scoop a 1/4 of the dough mixture into an lightly oiled baking dish with lid ( I prefer cast iron or clay). Let rise for 40 minutes. Bake in a hot 450 degree oven for 30 minutes. Turn the temp down to 400 degrees bake an additional 20 minutes.

5. The remainder of the dough is left in a ceramic bowl with plastic wrap placed over it. Place in the fridge. Whenever you need a loaf pull a 1/4 of the dough out and follow step 4.

For a nice crusty loaf I spray the inside of my baking lid with water just before baking the bread. This creats a nice little steam. If I am using my clay baking pan I just soak it in water for 10 minutes before putting a little olive oil on the bottom.

live well,
Tamara
www.thegoodearthfarm.com
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"

MissDana
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

Dana
Carrollton Georgia
USA
348 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2009 :  5:03:20 PM  Show Profile
Tamara this our family's "bucket" bread! I LOVE this recipe and we make 3 loaves a week at least! I showed my college daughter and now her friends are baking fresh bread for themselves! How cool is that? I also make regular loaves of sandwich bread each week, but this is by far my favorite. My 14 year old daughter and I have it with olive oil and fresh sliced parmesean in the afternoon with a pot of tea to see us through until dinner. Ah, fresh bread.... life is good!

Dana

Proud Farmgirl Sister # 267
www.schultztroupe.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Grandma Mar
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

Marlene
Bolingbrook IL
USA
36 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  07:03:29 AM  Show Profile
I have got to try this! It does seem so easy, and my mouth is now watering for the taste of homemade bread. Yummm!!!

Questions?? What do you suggest using if you don't have a cast iron or clay baking dish? How deep should the dish be for best results?

Mend and make do. - Old English Proverb
Go to Top of Page

corporatefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

389 Posts

Tamara
Pikeville TN
USA
389 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  09:20:18 AM  Show Profile
Dana - I know we make about 6 loaves a week! I have it with olive oil and balsimic vinegar every afternoon! I bake this in a oblong clay baking dish for sandwich bread.

Marlene - You will need some type of baking dish with a lid. The loaf will shape to your dish (round, oblong, ect). Make sure it is at least 6 inches deep You may need to bring the temp down to around 425. Good Luck

live well,
Tamara
www.thegoodearthfarm.com
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
Go to Top of Page

Grandma Mar
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

Marlene
Bolingbrook IL
USA
36 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  1:22:58 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Tamara! I'll let you know how it turns out. :-)

Mend and make do. - Old English Proverb
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  2:45:05 PM  Show Profile
This sounds great! Especially since I live alone. Now I can make bread when I "knead" it (get it...knead it?...I know that was bad). Plus, I like to take to my neighbors and friends. thank you so much!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226

www.farmgirlsam.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MissDana
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

Dana
Carrollton Georgia
USA
348 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  3:02:44 PM  Show Profile
I also just plop a grapefruit size pulled into a ball and placed on parchment paper to rest for 40 min. and then placed in my convection oven for 30. Just as pretty and yummy!

Proud Farmgirl Sister # 267
www.schultztroupe.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

corporatefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

389 Posts

Tamara
Pikeville TN
USA
389 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2009 :  3:27:13 PM  Show Profile
Dana that is what is SOOOO great about this bread. You can pretty much do whatever with it and it is still wonderful....

live well,
Tamara
www.thegoodearthfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

kpaints
True Blue Farmgirl

1564 Posts

karen
cheney wa
1564 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2009 :  04:34:16 AM  Show Profile  Send kpaints an AOL message
Thanks for the recipe, Tamara, can I use Whole Wheat flour with this? I found a bread making machine at the thrift and tried to make WW bread and both times it did not raise very well. The machine works fine and I do know that WW does not raise as well but I want WW! A stubborn Farmgirl here! I love putting all kinds of seeds etc in my bread to make it real healthy. Can I do this with this recipe? Thanks.

Find your joy and live it. http://cheneybaglady.blogspot.com/http://www.kpaints.etsy.com FG #377
Go to Top of Page

kpaints
True Blue Farmgirl

1564 Posts

karen
cheney wa
1564 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2009 :  04:36:29 AM  Show Profile  Send kpaints an AOL message
P S Do you bake the bread with the lid on? And will I need to go to a specialty shop for the clay pan?

Find your joy and live it. http://cheneybaglady.blogspot.com/http://www.kpaints.etsy.com FG #377
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2009 :  05:28:19 AM  Show Profile
This is a great recipe! I love the make ahead advantage. I'm going to make some up today. Thanks for sharing.

The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

AuntPammy
True Blue Farmgirl

488 Posts

Pamila
williamstown wv
USA
488 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2009 :  05:50:10 AM  Show Profile  Click to see AuntPammy's MSN Messenger address
This is my bread recipe too! I keep this in my frig and yes it is wonderful! So convenient and the bread is so delish! I highly recommend this recipe for it's simplicity and ease of use.

"Keep your face to the sunshine and you will never see the shadow." Helen Keller

www.auntpsalmostheaven.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LynnMarie
True Blue Farmgirl

612 Posts

Lynn
Staunton IL
USA
612 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2009 :  05:58:51 AM  Show Profile  Send LynnMarie a Yahoo! Message
I gotta ask ... Can spelt flour be used for the recipe? I can only eat spelt.

LynnMarie

Bringing the Past Back to Life
www.freewebs.com/decampsettlement

"You may never know what results come from your action. But, if you do nothing, there will be no results" -Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2009 :  06:54:57 AM  Show Profile
Do you ladies think that if I put this recipe in a dutch oven and cook it on the open fire it would work?

Kim
Farmgirl Sister # 302
Go to Top of Page

knittingmomma
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Tonya
Vermont
106 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2009 :  07:07:14 AM  Show Profile
This sounds great, and I thought my yeast recipe was simple. I bake two loaves a day for our crew of 8.
Warm wishes,
Tonya

Handmade Treasures - http://knittingmomma.etsy.com
Blog - http://www.homesteadblogger.com/naturalearthfarm
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2009 :  08:05:15 AM  Show Profile
I use this recipe, too. I just take a ball the size I want, let it rest 40 minutes and bake on a preheated baking stone at 450. Oh, slash the top before baking. I use this dough for homemade dinner rolls, and cinnamon rolls too. The entire recipe is online at the Mother Earth News website.
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2009 :  7:16:35 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the bread recipe Tamara! It sounds really good and I must try it! Bread is my downfall! LOL!

Hugs,
Maryjane Lee

Farmgirl #44
Sisters on the Fly #595

http://thebeehivecottage.blogspot.com/

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5202149

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Easy homemade bread(even my husband is making it) Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page