True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  08:02:55 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Ladies!

It's a New Year and a New Start! So I am going to be planning meals and making shopping lists that we have to stick to! Even if that means us adults have to eat PB&J sandwiches for dinner!

I have $1000 for the next 5 months that I am going to spend at Costco to but a bunch of the staples- flour, sugars, beans, canned goods.

Any thing that we can't spend will be put aside for monthly food in addition to the roughly $100 out of our family budget. So for 3 of us, for the month, I want to spend ONLY $300!

I am cracking down on our budget to get some bad debts paid off. So if I have to I can readjust later if we are just unable to do it on what I am planning.

So what I am thinking is we can all post our grocery budgets, say if the stated budget is flexible or not and then when we go shopping we can post out receipt and total. At the end of each month we will know if we were successful or not and then we can adjust our budget more/less from there.

What do you think?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4725 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4725 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  11:27:53 AM  Show Profile
Great idea Alee. I need to figure out what our monthly budget should be. First off, I need to leave my husband at home. He cost us an extra $35 today at the grocery store! I'll make up a plan and post it later.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  12:19:57 PM  Show Profile
I'm in Alee. I had already decided to go with $100 a week - food, paper items, drugstore items included. I will be going shopping tomorrow, so I'll post my actual expenditure.

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  12:27:47 PM  Show Profile
I am also trying to manage our $$ better this year. Starting with grocery buying. You know we go to buy a few things and always spend more than expected so I am going with a list and sticking to it. Make meal menu for a week & thats what we are going to eat. I am really writing down each trip to the store & how much we spend. Dh has no idea what things cost & if he wants it he usually buys it.. So We have to have a "family Budget Meeting" to set the table for our new plan. ( well It's My new plan) We will follow it !!http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/
Cheryl #309
Farm girl sister

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude." Maya Angelou

Edited by - K-Falls Farmgirl on Jan 02 2009 12:29:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  12:41:47 PM  Show Profile
We are finishing off $1000 emergency fund & then will be paying off debts.
Our grocery budget will be $400 month for 4 of us, including paper & other household items.

Here are resouce link that I'll be using this year.
http://foodstoragemadeeasy.net/

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many, MRET & Wellness Coach

http://herbalmommasda.blogspot.com/

Farmgirl Sister #97
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  1:04:26 PM  Show Profile
I too have put myself on a grocery store budget. But I have so much laying around I am NOT going to go to the store until at least 3/4 of what I have is gone. I have a freezer full of meat a pantry full of can goods and what I don't have I won't need. I am going to try to empty the pantry one can at a time so that when it comes time to remodle that part of the kitchen I won't have much to take out. I feel for you with kids this is a tough challenge because its tough not to feed your kids there favorites. I find myself justifing the amount I spend on food beacuse it is just that food you can't do with out it.ButI think I can go about 10 months or more with the meat and more on the can goods. I also had a great year in the garden so carrots spuds and onions are going in everything. The paper products are only toilet paper. The only thing I can think I will need is coffee flour and sugar.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  1:14:38 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I spend about $300 a month right now too. I would like to reduce this down to $275. I really need to seperate out food from things like Pull ups (which I am hoping I just bought my last bag,,,Charlie has been wearing UNDIES for 3 whole days!!!) Anywho- other things like personal items, etc. I think I can do it. So I am in.

Having a list is a great idea. And as I mentioned before, I shop at Costco 2x a year, when I can bulk up on tp, paper towels (yes, I use them sparingly), personal items (tampons, razors, baking soda, vinegar). I will have to sort things out and see what I can come up with. How fun!! I love stuff like this.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  1:51:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
My grocery budget will include all cleaning and personal care items. We don't use too much as I mostly clean with vinegar and baking soda. I am really looking forward to making lots of lists! LOL

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

cw246
True Blue Farmgirl

153 Posts

Cheryl
Largo Florida
USA
153 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  3:12:53 PM  Show Profile
I would like to also participate. I really want to focus more on our grocery budget too. I am not the greatest about planning and sticking to a meal plan. I need to figure what my budget is and get back with you. Thanks for starting this.
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  3:32:25 PM  Show Profile
I probably groc shop different than any one here. We have one grocery store and have to go "out of town" to Walmart supercenter. When the groc adds come out on Tues, I look to see what is on sale That we use, and I make my list from there. And I buy a ton of what ever is on sale. Some weeks we only buy a gallon of milk. In the winter we usually buy fresh veggies on a regular basis. I have my monthly meal plan and when I start gathering up what I need to fix for supper, I go to one of 2 freezers, 2 refrigerators, the cellar and pantry. I almost never run out of something. Sometimes the menue is adjusted because I find something that is about to expire. OK sometimes it has long expired. I hope to keep track of what I spend on groc this year. One month will not give me a good sample.

By the way, I kept track of what we spent on gasoline this past year. $524 was all. But we did not go ANYWHERE except grocery, walmart, Dr appts. Well, it seems like thats all we did.
Go to Top of Page

IdlewildFarmMom
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Missy
Centre AL
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  5:02:06 PM  Show Profile
Oh, sign me in too!! Two weeks ago I really realized how much I detest grocery shopping, well, I knew it, but it finaly sunk in how much I had to force myself to go once a week...so...Two weeks ago I made a menu plan and a list for a month..and bought it. Holding up well so far. I realize I have to go once a week to pick up milk, cheese and such, but that beats 1-2 hours every week trying to buy a weeks worth. This past budget, including weekly items to pick up, is costing me $400 a month to feed the 6 of us here at home..with some extras going to my oldest son who moved out this past year. That is, however, with 5 deer in the freezer to work with also. That cost also includes our personal care and cleaning supplies and paper products.

Idlewild Farm Mom
~~Missy in AL~~
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  5:17:04 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That is awesome! I also started a companion challenge to meal plan!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  5:24:28 PM  Show Profile
I just cleaned out my freezer. Inventoried everything in there. brr it is cold on the fingers.. HA! I made a check off sheet for each catergory. fish, beef, pork, veg, fruit, prepared (leftovers) and misc for bread & sweets.
Now when we take out an item we check off so the numbers in the count decrease. I think it will work for us. Plus I am keeping all grocery stubs to tally at end of month.

http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Cheryl #309
Farm girl sister

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude." Maya Angelou
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  5:44:23 PM  Show Profile
Cheryl, what a great idea! That would also work for the pantry, too. I think I shall do this, tomorrow. Thank you for being so brilliant! See how so many heads are so much better than just one? You could even get a dry erase board and put on the front of the fridge and update each month. I am liking this. It sure beats searching through all the mess in the cupboards.

Kris

Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. Maori proverb
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  5:49:51 PM  Show Profile
Alee did you post your meal planning challenge?

Farmgirl Sister #98
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  6:56:13 PM  Show Profile
Alee - we are trying this too. DH decided he wants to cook 3 nights a week (yay!!) so we sat down and made a two week menu, then shopped accordingly. I think we should be able to spend about $100 one week, then $50 the next. My focus is really using the stuff in my pantry. I just organized the pantry and found not one but two jars of sundried tomatoes - those are expensive and one is from last Christmas that I never used. So organization and "use it up" for me this year. We bought a side of beef locally so we are well fixed for protein. Then hopefully will supply our own veggies this summer, we will see if we actually get some spring this year
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

ILoveBaskets14
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Stefanie
Cross Lanes WV
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  7:16:16 PM  Show Profile  Click to see ILoveBaskets14's MSN Messenger address
This is great and incourageing !!I am one that will plan a few weeks then go without any planning and i spend much more going without a list to the store. so count me in too !
Stefanie

Baskets of Blessings.
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  9:11:50 PM  Show Profile
When our 6 children were at home, I did meal planning for 2 weeks, then repeated it the next 2 weeks in the month...this really saved...I only bought what I needed for the meals one time per month, and then just incidentals, paper products, and fresh stuff....It seemed to REALLY save me$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!

Farmgirl Sister #368

http:/froccsfrillsfurbiloesandmore.blogspot.com
http://thecontentedwoman.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2009 :  11:22:37 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I am going to start this post for my month's shopping. I will update it each time I go shopping.

20 lbs Bulk Idaho Potaoes- 8.99
2 Gallons of Whole milk - 4.99
5 dozen eggs- 7.69
Bag of 6 mixed colors of bell peppers- 6.49
10# bag of Organic Carrots- 5.49
Big bag of celary hearts- 2.99
2lb Cheddar Cheese- 5.49
2lb Colby Jack Cheese- 6.69
5.76 lbs Ground beef - 17.22
5.23 lbs Pork Sirloin 3 pack 10.41
2 pack of whole young chicken fryers- 9.84
Diet Pepsi 24 pack- 7.45
Mt Dew 24 pack - 7.45
2 pack of Bleach (mold problem in house) 5.59
6.46lbs 2 Chuck pot roasts - 19.32
3.72 lbs Huge package of stew meat- 12.61
Grand total this trip : 138.71

Second Costco Trip:
2 Gallons White Vinegar- 3.35
Large Box of Graham Crackers- 7.29
Shampoo (80 oz) - 6.99
2 pairs of yoga pants- 16.89
Gallon of dish soap (Eco Friendly!) 7.89
2 Large Lemon Juice things- 4.99
Garflo Organic??? - 8.99
2 Large Cans of Pam Spray- 7.49
Large bundle of spaghettie noodles- 8.99
Case of Mountain Dew- 7.49 (looks like I got 1.50 off though so 5.99)
Case of Diet Pepsi- 7.49 (looks like I got 1.50 off there too so 5.99)
2 gallons Whole Milk- 4.99
Bulk Diapers - 37.99
Bulk Wipes - 15.49
4 packages of unsalted butter - 5.89
Dried Cherries- 8.49
13# of Oranges- 7.99
Organic Tomatos diced- case- 7.99
Honey Nut Cherrios- 6.99
Organic tomato paste-case- 5.99
Case of Kidney beans in water- 5.79
Large jar of Taco Seasoning- 3.59
Special K Red Berries- 7.99
Dried Mangos- 13.89
Dried Plums- 5.79
Case of refried beans- 6.59
case of mushrooms- 7.99
Comet - 5.79
Kitchen sponges- 10.99
Spray and Wash- 8.49
Coupon code minus $3!!
Organic green peas- $5.99 (large frozen bag)
Organic flavored oatmeal 49 packets- 8.99
2 gallons apple juice- 7.75
Salsa- 4.35

Grand Total- 293.05!!!

That leaves $162 in our budget to get the things I forgot or can't bake at home. That is going to be a bit skewed though as this is the month where I will be doing our huge Costco shopping trip.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com

Edited by - Alee on Jan 14 2009 9:57:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

keeperofthehome
True Blue Farmgirl

154 Posts

Suzanne
Atlanta Georgia
USA
154 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2009 :  1:38:13 PM  Show Profile
Ladies, y'all have me feeling GUILTY! Now, I make my menu's and shop according to that and sale items. Our problem is we eat a LOT of meat because of diabetes being an issue in the family so everyone's on the low-carb diet. However, because my husband is a Naturopathic doctor we only eat really good meat like grass fed beef (did y'all see MaryJane's beef website?), free range chicken, and nitrate free lunch meats. I spend for the 4 of us (including 2 teenage boys) on average $175/wk. And that's after cutting it down since we got a Trader Joes from $900/mo at Whole Foods. I look at www.moneysavingmom.com every week for the deals, but I don't know how to shop for these items any cheaper. Any ideas?

Blessings!
~Farrah

http://oldfashionedhomekeeper.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2009 :  2:55:15 PM  Show Profile
OK - I'm back from the store and I came in UNDER by $10 and some change this week - planned $100 and came home with two fives and some change. So week 1 shopping is successful. I'm taking those two fives and tucking them away to see if I still have them next shopping day. If so, they're earmarked to go on a bill. How'd you all do?

Farmgirl Sister #98
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2009 :  6:04:28 PM  Show Profile
The only thing I can think of Farrah would be to find somebody local - maybe through a farmer's market - to buy your meat from. That's what we did this year and got grass fed beef for $2 per pound.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2009 :  6:15:22 PM  Show Profile
Can't wait till Wed, when I do my groc shopping. You gals have me going here. Alee, sounds like you bought about the same thing that I would have bought except for the Pepsi and Mountain Dew..... We only drink Coke. Ron, diet, me regular (but not very often).

We had chicken tenders for supper tonight. That was the last of the chicken except for a bag of legs and thighs. (3 each). next time chicken is on sale, will stock up.
Go to Top of Page

jennym
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Jenny
Green Lane PA
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2009 :  7:30:07 PM  Show Profile
This is such a great idea! And it's always so much more fun to do things with other people.
I'm really, really, REALLY bad at cooking (I mean, I don't think I'm too bad at actually cooking, just getting around to it!). I have so many excuses, but what it boils down to is that I just don't make time. Once I did the once-a-month cooking, and that was so cool! I had 2 or 3 crockpots going, and I used the stove and the oven. I think I had 13 meals in the freezer by the time I was finished.
I have lots of things in the pantry and freezer, so I'm going to plan what I'm going to make for this week.
Thanks for the idea!

Be still and know that I am God. Psalm 46:10
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2009 :  7:38:25 PM  Show Profile
I just took apic of my pantry. It looks pretty good for the next couple months I hope: How does yours look?

http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Cheryl #309
Farm girl sister

Edited by - K-Falls Farmgirl on Jan 03 2009 7:44:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2009 :  08:34:44 AM  Show Profile
I'm in! I have been trying to stick to $100 a week for five people and have been doing pretty well. Yesterday I spent just $70 and I think it can get us through the whole week. I'm fairly good about breakfast and supper but have a horrible time coming up with healthy ideas for lunch since hubby isn't home during the day and I just want something quick. What do most of you eat for lunch?
We just have one small grocery store here in town so I don't have any choice on organics or great sale prices but I do go to a nearby city once a week to do my book job so maybe I can pick up cheaper things at Walmart. I'm looking forward to doing this challenge!
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Grocery Challenge 2009 Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page