Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2009 :  3:45:44 PM  Show Profile
OK got all my stuff. Now, I don't have a ceramic bowl. Can I use any glass bowl? I have looked through all my stored "things" and the only thing I came up with is a depression glass Jar thing. It is too big for a sugar bowl and too small for a cookie jar. It is pink frosted glass, smooth on the inside. I said all that to ask, does it have to be ceramic? Don't have a wooden spoon either but don't have a problem using my silacone.

Another question. I purchased organic flour for my starter. It is hard to find. Had to drive 60 (120)miles to find what I have. Then I just bought 5 lbs. Can I use regular unbleached flour for the bread after I have used the organic for the starter?

This had better be good.

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2009 :  3:57:41 PM  Show Profile
Belle,

I think glass should work fine. The main thing is that metal is not used.

I didn't use Organic flour. We purchase unbleached flour from a local milling company here. This is my starter's second week and it is doing very well.

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2009 :  4:19:19 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I use glass mixing bowls are well. Organic is important to me. I know it is hard to find. I will "warn" that not all Organic flour is created equally. Make sure it is as fresh as you can find.. Like Sharon hers is milled locally. I would say this that I would order through MaryJanesFarm... for the quality alone, but especially if I had to go hunt it down....

Belle~ Here is to GREAT bread!

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/http://renenaturallyspeaking.blogspot.com/

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2009 :  5:00:49 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Glass if fine- but you might want to ask your questions over on the www.breadthemaryjaneway.org thread. I know they are encouraging that so everyone can learn from the questions asked.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2009 :  07:15:12 AM  Show Profile
Guess what I found? A ceramic bowl! Guess where I found it? On the kitchen counter! I have a set of bowls setting there. They have sunflowers on them so they sit there beside the pitcher full of phoney sunflowers. Looks real pretty but I forgot they are there. I think the middle size will be just right. If not, can move up to the big one. No wonder it takes me so long to get anything done. Look how long it took me just to find a bowl. LOL
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4719 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4719 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2009 :  12:29:24 PM  Show Profile
Good luck Belle! Glad you found a bowl to use for your starter. I have a loaf of caraway rye rising right now. The breads have been yummy, I've done all of them in the magazine. Have fun making yours!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic MaryJane bread starter. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page