pgngrl
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Laurie
New Berlin WI
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2010 :  6:05:07 PM  Show Profile
Thank you everyone!! I'll get them started this week :)

Jamie snorted briefly and picked up a needle and a ball of yarn.
“It’s no verra difficult, Sassenach. Look- this is how ye cast up your row.”
Drawing the thread out through his closed fist, he made a loop round his thumb, slipped it onto the needle, and with a quick economy of motion, cast on a long row of stitches in a madder of seconds. Then he handed me the other needle and another ball of yarn. “There – you try.””
-- Diana Gabaldon, Drums of Autumn*
Go to Top of Page

craftystranger
True Blue Farmgirl

525 Posts

Barbara
Franklin NC
USA
525 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2010 :  7:26:30 PM  Show Profile
Another Diane Gabaldon fan...has anyone seen Jamie? Barbara

Don't forget to laugh!
Go to Top of Page

Tn.Earthmama
True Blue Farmgirl

451 Posts

Phyllis
Englewood Tennessee
451 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2010 :  09:59:51 AM  Show Profile
welcome to all the new farmgirls !!!! so good to see this thread active and the sharing of ideas and feelings. Heide, it's so wonderful to see you again. I'm sorry that you had such a hard time. I actually didn't know any of this was happening to you. It's sad that so many people are afraid of things they don't want to understand.
I often don't post of other threads here because i know that some of our fellow sisters are not interested in hearing from me. lots of farmgirls were friendly and interested in getting to know me before I posted on this thread. ah, well, I can't do anything about that. I'm gonna just keep working on myself and let it go. however I haven't been personally attacked as it sounds that you were. just know that I'm here to love and support you and I know that our fellow sisters are too.

Robin, I'm not sure that Tasha actually got the chapter set up. I have tried to figure it out, but my brain fog won't lift well enough for me to do it. LOL. maybe one of you smart ladies can figure it out.

blessings all, take care. Phyllis
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2010 :  3:35:19 PM  Show Profile
I did try to find the chapter which was called Witch Way Farmgirls but I couldn't find it in the Chapter or Henhouse areas. I have noticed that things seem to disappear if they haven't been active for a while. I know there is a lot more privacy over there but I spent a whole afternoon and couldn't find it. Maybe we should try to set something up again. What do ya'll think?

Farmgirl Sister 572

When manure happens just say "WOO HOO Fertilizer".
Go to Top of Page

pgngrl
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Laurie
New Berlin WI
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2010 :  4:59:21 PM  Show Profile
Sounds great to me!!
BB
~Laurie

Drawing the thread out through his closed fist, he made a loop round his thumb, slipped it onto the needle, and with a quick economy of motion, cast on a long row of stitches in a madder of seconds. Then he handed me the other needle and another ball of yarn. “There – you try.””
Go to Top of Page

Sourceress
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Elisabeth
Thurmont MD
76 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2010 :  8:57:36 PM  Show Profile  Send Sourceress an AOL message  Send Sourceress a Yahoo! Message
Merry Meet!

I am definitely in favor of starting a Witchy Farmgirl chapter, if for no other reason than so we have a whole forum where we can post different threads about the intersection of our witchy/pagan ways and our farmgirl ways - I have been thinking about it a lot, and it occurs to me that part of the reason I love MJF so much is because it dovetails so neatly with my earth-centered spirituality. I'd love to be able to discuss farmgirl stuff from a pagan perspective with people who aren't going to immediately freak out about it. (I have actually thought about starting a thread on the prayer forum about "how does being a farmgirl mesh with your particular spirituality or faith tradition, whatever that happens to be?" and inviting comments from everybody from all faiths. Haven't quite decided whether that's a good idea or not though. I could see it going either way - it could turn into a really cool discussion with input from people from lots of different faith backgrounds that raises awareness about lots of different traditions and how we all got to the same place even though we came from radically different foundations, or it could turn into a torches and pitchforks "witch hunt" aimed at anyone who is a member of a minority faith. Maybe I'll lurk for a bit longer before I try that..)

Heide, I'm so sorry you got flak from people about your faith. I haven't been here long enough to get flak from anybody about my religion, but I have had problems with fellow homeschoolers in the past - that is why, on every homeschooling email list I belong to, I always include "pagan unschooling mama" in my sig line - that way, if someone's going to have an issue with it, they can have an issue right up front, before my kids get involved and make friends with their kids and then have their hearts broken because their friends' parents have a problem with my religion. In any case, I'm glad you decided to come back! The more of us there are being open about who we are, the more difficult it will be to dismiss us as Eeeeevil Cultists or something, kwim? Especially if we're all on here being normal sisterly Farmgirls - because this is a minority faith, I try to keep in mind that as a witch who is "out of the broom closet", I am an ambassador for my faith everywhere I go. So I try to be really nice and friendly and, if not normal, exactly, at least "quirky and eccentric but unthreatening", so that people have something besides the bad publicity and the misperceptions about witches to hang on that word, "witch" - and maybe the next time they hear somebody going on about how witches are evil baby-eating satanists or something, they'll be like "Wait a minute...I know someone who's a witch, and she's not like that at all! She's really nice! And so are her kids!" Changing hearts and minds, one person at a time :-) Information and positive experiences are the best antidotes to irrational fear and prejudice, IMO.

Anyway, I'm so glad to find so many witchy farmgirl sisters here! I was kind of worried I'd be the only one. :-) Guess I shouldn't have been - earth-centered spirituality really does mesh quite well with farmgirl principles. :-)

Lis
*the Sourceress*
pagan unschooling mama to
Corwyn (4/99)
and Galen (5/01)
Go to Top of Page

Tn.Earthmama
True Blue Farmgirl

451 Posts

Phyllis
Englewood Tennessee
451 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2010 :  05:28:16 AM  Show Profile
I think our own chapter would be wonderful !!!! so glad to have everyone here. blessings y'all. phyllis
Go to Top of Page

snowwhite
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Amy
Muskogee OK
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2010 :  07:34:57 AM  Show Profile
Sounds great!!

Amy

~~~Well I'm proud to be an Okie from Muskogee...~~~
Go to Top of Page

snowwhite
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Amy
Muskogee OK
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2010 :  07:57:41 AM  Show Profile
I'm so glad we are all here! I never would've come looking for this thread, I just happened to see it on the front of the forums page. But I'm glad I found yall!
Amy

Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2010 :  11:59:13 AM  Show Profile
Haven't really been active on this thread since the very beginning, but get on here once in awhile to see what's going on. I'm a newby to all of this and very hungry to learn. Have so many books I've got to get onto reading.

Heidi, so sorry for what happened to you. I can't believe it - not in this day and age of "enlightened thinking, etc.". But guess there are some... But you wouldn't think here on MJF!!! So sad!

I'm also for having our own "Witchy Farm Girl" chapter. Being a newby it would be a safe, non-judging place to express myself and learn from all of you.

BB
Annie
Go to Top of Page

TabithaLenox
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Kim
Gettysburg PA
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2010 :  12:41:05 PM  Show Profile
I would also love to see a Witchy farmgirl chapter! I am solitary and don't have anyone to chat with about being a farmgirl...and a Witch!

Kim
Farmgirl #184

http://www.tabithalenox.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

snowwhite
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Amy
Muskogee OK
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2010 :  2:04:42 PM  Show Profile
I'm with you Annie, I have so many books at home that I've been collecting over the years! When I first started learning I bought all the books I could get my hands on!

It was soo great to get out last night and plant some seeds in the dirt! I enjoyed being out in the dark and planting by the stars! I even enjoyed picking the dirt out from under my fingernails, lol. I saw my first glimpse of lightening bugs the other day, they were so wonderful! Now I know the hot weather is surely on its way.
amy*

Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2010 :  4:35:35 PM  Show Profile
Would so much like to get out and be one with the earth and do some planting. But we're trying to sell our house on the mountain, so really can't put in a garden - my luck I'd get everything done and then the house would sell. So waiting until we move back to MN and will then put in a wonderful garden and get my hands into the dirt. But I may do some herbs inside the house. Have lots of sage on our property, may do some gathering and drying. Sage sticks sell really well in our area to the tourists that come in the summer.

Amy, I too just go out and buy everything I can to read. Just have to MAKE the time to read them all. Have to hide my books tho when we have someone coming to look at the house. Got my first set of Celtic Tarot cards, so anxious to try them. Anyone out there use Celtic Tarot cards?

Annie
Go to Top of Page

snowwhite
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Amy
Muskogee OK
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2010 :  6:04:10 PM  Show Profile
I've never used Tarot cards before. Annie, I feel ya having to hide your books! Been there!
Amy

Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2010 :  6:05:15 PM  Show Profile
i use Goddess tarot and the way of the Horse cards. I went through three or four sets before I found one that suited me. Good luck with them.

Farmgirl Sister 572

When manure happens just say "WOO HOO Fertilizer".
Go to Top of Page

pgngrl
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Laurie
New Berlin WI
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2010 :  7:59:32 PM  Show Profile
I'm also a solitary and would love to connect and have our own chapter here.
BB
~Laur

Go to Top of Page

barefootmama
True Blue Farmgirl

133 Posts

Jennifer
BLOOMSBURG Pennsylvania
USA
133 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2010 :  10:56:27 PM  Show Profile  Send barefootmama a Yahoo! Message
Hello again fellow witches and nice to see all of us out of the broom closet! I do agree we have to start a chapter and it does run right up our "scope of practice" to farm and be one with the earth and all who inhabit it...I too have had to "hide" books and items when certain people come over but not anymore..I am proud of who I am and will hide in the shadows for no one anymore..I refuse to! I dont judge others beliefs and wish that others would respect that..I am also a new solitary been trying to find myself and where I belong for years and this is it..If I werent at work now Id shout it to the roof tops(its 2am here and my pts are sleeping lol).. IM A WITCH IM A WITCH IM A WITCH!!!!!!!!!ahem thats almost as good lol I am so happy to chat with all you wonderful witches and look forward to hear from you all everyday!!!! Blessed Be

Blessed are those who can laugh at themselves,for they shall never cease to be amused:)
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2010 :  07:56:33 AM  Show Profile
Just a quick note here - Don't you have to join the "sisterhood" to be in a chapter?

Good morning all. I hope everyone is having a blessed spring weekend. Today my son and DIL are coming to help me clean out the big vegetable garden. It didn't get done last fall due to their Wedding taking place here. I am trying to get things moved around as we are getting ready to construct my new (to me) greenhouse. The plastic for the hoops arrived day before yesterday - the UPS guy left it leaning against the gate - all 78 lbs. of it. I had to try to drag it down the driveway so I could get out the gate! The weather here turned warm all of a sudden we went from 20's at night to 70 during the day. That's the pacific northwest for you. That's not to say the cold is over by any means but at least it makes working outside far more pleasant. Hopefully all the lavender plants survived our weird winter as we had some severe cold snaps without any snow for insulation. I'm not worried about the old plants but I put in new ones every year and the new ones are still small so hopefully they survived. Have a wonderful spring day.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2010 :  09:08:57 AM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Sheri,

Being a little warmer here, my Spanish lavender is in full bloom right now!! The bees are loving it and so am I! I was thinking I should harvest the buds this year, any ideas on harvesting the Spanish?

On a different subject, a few years back I was collecting Tarot card sets, mostly for their beauty. I think I have 12 or 15 sets! Made little storage bags for some of them. I actually use Rune Stones, I have my own set I made several years back.

Yes, I think you have to join the Sisterhood to have access to the Chapter Henhouses.

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.

Edited by - Candy C. on Apr 17 2010 09:10:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2010 :  09:31:15 AM  Show Profile
I am not familiar with the Spanish variety. I grow three varieties - Hidecote, Vera, and Munstead. When I harvest mine, I cut the stem just slightly into the woody area (this stimulates new growth) and then I put the lavender in bundles and hang upside down to dry. If I am going to take the buds off the stems and use for sachets, then I put them flower head up in a basket or paper bag to allow for air circulation. Once dry, then I remove the flower buds and store in jars. I also weave lavender wands with the longest stemmed plants. Mine doesn't go into full bloom until the first part of July. The bumble bees just love the lavender and the greek, and ornamental oregano too.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page

mamashaw
True Blue Farmgirl

268 Posts

Annette
Cahokia IL
USA
268 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2010 :  9:25:59 PM  Show Profile
Our own chapter would be kinda nice :c)... "Chicks on Sticks"

someplace between lost and found
annette )O(

not all who wander are lost
Go to Top of Page

barefootmama
True Blue Farmgirl

133 Posts

Jennifer
BLOOMSBURG Pennsylvania
USA
133 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2010 :  10:47:27 PM  Show Profile  Send barefootmama a Yahoo! Message
our own chapter would be fantastic...a large chunk of us are already sisters...I think we should all throw a few names around for our chapter and vote on one than start it up..any takers????

I would be more than happen to start this project if anyone wants....if not we can continue to meet here and exchange emails and such.

Blessed are those who can laugh at themselves,for they shall never cease to be amused:)
Go to Top of Page

Tn.Earthmama
True Blue Farmgirl

451 Posts

Phyllis
Englewood Tennessee
451 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2010 :  06:12:08 AM  Show Profile
Chicks on Sticks, I love it. LOL.
someone once told me that you don't have to be a sister to access the chapters, but the way I read it you do. I haven't become an official sister yet, but will if I need to (budget a bit tight ya know? ) I think the chapter is a great idea. thanks Jennifer for being willing to work on setting it up.

love hearing about everyones garden plans. we are still working on the inside of our old house so haven't done much in the way of a garden yet. my neighbor gave me some sage plants and garlic, so that's all I've done so far. She has offered us space in her fenced in garden to plant anything we want until we can get our yard fenced. lots of wandering doggies and such around here. I was blessed with a very nice neighbor, although she would have a heart attack if she read this thread. LOL.
blessed spring to all. Phyllis
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2010 :  07:27:17 AM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
I like the idea of our own chapter too. Can't think of any good names to throw in the hat though. Chicks on Sticks is pretty cute!! ;)

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2010 :  09:45:25 AM  Show Profile
I like the Aquarian Tarot deck and the Artherian Tarot deck and of course the old stand-by Waite-Rider deck. I got my first Waite deck in 1971 and still have it. They changed the colors on them when they sold the rights several years later so they aren't nearly as colorful.

If we get serious about starting our own chapter, then I will join the sisterhood. Like Phyllis - money is a challenge, especially after a $5,000 car repair....

Back to the garden. We had to postpone the clean-up until today due to rain. Have a great day everyone.

Blessings, Sheri

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 83 Gathered Up: Previous Topic witchy farmgirls? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page