gracylfreebush
Farmgirl in Training

39 Posts

Gracy
Alvin TX
USA
39 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2011 :  2:44:13 PM  Show Profile
Merry Meet, Hope everyone has a happy and blessed Mabon.

Blessed Be.

Thoughts are things choose the good ones.
Go to Top of Page

Tn.Earthmama
True Blue Farmgirl

451 Posts

Phyllis
Englewood Tennessee
451 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2011 :  07:23:49 AM  Show Profile
Annette, the decorations sound great!!! how did the pear picking go? I'm working on freezing a big box of okra I bought from the Amish folks down the road. the pear butter sounds good.

Hi Gracy, happy Mabon to you too.

hope everyone has a wonderful and blessed holiday. Phyllis
Go to Top of Page

mamashaw
True Blue Farmgirl

268 Posts

Annette
Cahokia IL
USA
268 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2011 :  10:41:32 AM  Show Profile
We got rained out on the pear picking,going to try again today..looks icky out but it's dry for the moment.
I'll post pic's of the porch soon.
Happy Mabon to everybody!!

someplace between lost and found
annette FS#1372

not all who wander are lost

why worry about the comming storm when you can learn to dance in the rain
Go to Top of Page

Cabin Dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Brenda
Cortland NY
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2011 :  4:20:20 PM  Show Profile
Hi sisters! I have been reading this thread for awhile now, just haven't participated. I am interested in herbal remedies, native american beliefs / healing, and foraging wild edible plants. However, I have only dabbled - took a herbal class last winter,got a book on edible wild plants (afraid to venture on my own), still discovering different uses for herbs and essential oils. Lately I have been making my own soap and made the herbal vapor rub that was in the MJF magazine this month (my first batch was yesterday - I could not find methol crystals locally, I will need to order some for next time). I am also interested in crystal healing. I need to take time to read some of the books so many of you have suggested. It is still "foreign" to me in some sense, yet the more I find out - the more I am drawn to learning more and doing more. It is so inspiring to know there are many women out there that share the same interest.

Farmgirl #1954
Go to Top of Page

Tn.Earthmama
True Blue Farmgirl

451 Posts

Phyllis
Englewood Tennessee
451 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2011 :  2:06:46 PM  Show Profile
Hi Brenda, welcome!!!!! so glad you found us. glad you decided to say Hi. I'm like you on the foraging thing, feel like I need someone to point plants out to me to be safe. I have tried a few thing that I already knew. discovered I don't like dandelion greens. LOL.

hope you will visit often. blessings Phyllis
Go to Top of Page

mamashaw
True Blue Farmgirl

268 Posts

Annette
Cahokia IL
USA
268 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2011 :  4:49:22 PM  Show Profile
Phyllis, I read an article on hibiscus tea and lowering B/P, thought of you.

annette FS#1372

Go to Top of Page

Cabin Dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Brenda
Cortland NY
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2011 :  03:01:53 AM  Show Profile
Phyllis, dandelion greens are one thing I have had. My mother used to cook them years ago , with about half a pig's worth of bacon. I kept thinking I was going to dig some up (I have plenty in my yard)this spring but I never did. I would have done them without the bacon though.
Annette, I would be interested in finding out herbal remedies for HBP. My husband has recently gone on medication for HBP. When I went to that herb class last winter, cayenne pepper was mentioned. The instructor brought in nugget like samples, but we never got the recipe.It looked like they were a dried dough. I'm always concerned about how much is too much. (of course, then I think about the commercials on tv with all the side affects of the medications they advertise - it's almost funny - like I would want to take something that gives me bowel problems,dizziness,irritability, etc). I would prefer to use natural remedies.
Have a wonderful day!

Farmgirl #1954
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2011 :  4:54:21 PM  Show Profile
One way to check for dosage with herbs (or anything else for that matter) is to muscle test for it. I was taught to hold the herb (or whatever you are testing for) in front of your solar plexus. If you need it, you will lean towards it (or some people go to the right) if you do not need it, you will lean backwards away from it (or to the left). Once you test for what your body needs, you check for dose by starting with 1 and adding more until you move backwards--take that last amount off and you should go towards it--there is your dose.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

Do not ask the Lord to guide your footsteps, if you are not willing to move your feet--Dr. Kioni

http://madame1313.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Cabin Dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Brenda
Cortland NY
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2011 :  5:41:41 PM  Show Profile
That is interesting. Have you found that to work most of the time? What sort of herbs have you tried with that technique?

Farmgirl #1954
Go to Top of Page

witchwolf
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Jennifer
McMurray PA
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2011 :  09:10:52 AM  Show Profile
Hi all,
I read this thread and it is what made me decide to join Mary Jane's forum. I have been reading the magazine on and off for a couple of years now, it seems like my life is going back to where I'm getting back to my beliefs (Wicca) and getting back to nature (going to school to be a holistic nutritionist), also I miss gardening. I"m hoping to learn from all of you and maybe impart some knowledge to you as well.

I see my path, but I don't know where it leads. Not knowing where I'm going is what inspires me to travel it.
-Rosalia de Castro
Go to Top of Page

Tn.Earthmama
True Blue Farmgirl

451 Posts

Phyllis
Englewood Tennessee
451 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2011 :  3:06:48 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jennifer, welcome!!!! glad you joined us. holistic nutritionist sounds very interesting. I'm sure you will have lots of wisdom to share.

Annette, thanks for thinking of me. I read the same article. I have some hibiscus in my pantry, thought I would give it a try. I'm still trying the garlic(the capsules, not the liquid) I do tend to forget to take it. I keep it in the freezer and it helps with the indigestion, but that lets me forget. : )

Brenda, check out Rosemary Gladstar she has a recipe for making your own pills with herbs. good book with lots of info. make sure your hubby increases his potassium intake, lots of fruits and veggies, and exercise will help if he can do it(just walking etc.). know what you mean about commercials. I especially love the lunesta one, where the woman lists all the horrific side effects in this dreamy, soothing voice, like that way you won't notice What she is saying. LOL.

Rachel, I have read about the checking if a herb is what you need. I havne't tried it, do you find it works well for you?

hope everyone is having a blessed day. Phyllis
Go to Top of Page

mamashaw
True Blue Farmgirl

268 Posts

Annette
Cahokia IL
USA
268 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2011 :  10:13:00 AM  Show Profile
welcome here Brenda and Jennifer, nice to have you :c)

Most of my family is pretty healthy so we've not ventured in to any holistic helpers yet except for my use of walmart's brand of estrovent and 2 black cohost caps daily.. I don't know if it's helping but my teen age boys are all still alive and well so maybe it is working lol.

Phyllis, hmmm maybe a note or something stuck in a obvious place you are everyday? I get the out of sight out of mind thing.. when we have eggs that my husband needs to take to work to sell I have a specific magnet and note I stick over the door lock at the front door the night before. Since he has to move the note to let himself out and thus remember to go back to the kitchen and collect the cartons we've had more luck in getting the eggs to work and sold instead of sitting in the fridge taking up shelf space.

Making that pear butter I promised today; putting it in the crockpot... never done it this way so we'll see how it goes..... 30# of pears and I gotta get his done.

Everyone have a blessed Day!!

annette FS#1372

Go to Top of Page

witchwolf
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Jennifer
McMurray PA
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2011 :  12:38:27 PM  Show Profile
Regarding dosage for herbs,I think the official title for the method that RK is referring to is biofeedback. There has been a few books written about. There is also a method of self healing called Body Talk that is based on this philosophy. I have only taken the Access level but am considering getting the rest of the training after I"m done with my Holistic Nutrition training.

Hope this helps

Thanks for all the welcomes.

I see my path, but I don't know where it leads. Not knowing where I'm going is what inspires me to travel it.
-Rosalia de Castro
Go to Top of Page

Cabin Dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Brenda
Cortland NY
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2011 :  03:10:58 AM  Show Profile
Annette - The highlight of parenthood - surviving the teenage years!lol
How did your pear butter making go? It sounds really good!

Jennifer - Good luck with your holistic nutrition training. I know when I don't eat right - my body feels awful. For the most part, I've been eating healthier especially the past year or more. I broke away from drinking soft drinks over a year ago = that was a big deal for me. I don't really miss it now. Just don't take my morning coffee away from me - lol!

Phyllis - Rosemary Gladstar's name has been mention by a few people - time for me to check out her books. Thanks. My husband is actually pretty good about the diet and exercise. I think stress (at work especially) plays a big role with his bp. My husband and I were talking the other day and decided we have so much we want to do - we just don't have time to work! We can only hope we are both still healthy/active when we are able to retire.

speaking of work, need to get ready for another day! have a great day ladies!

Farmgirl #1954
Go to Top of Page

mamashaw
True Blue Farmgirl

268 Posts

Annette
Cahokia IL
USA
268 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2011 :  11:34:11 AM  Show Profile
Brenda, I think I am in love with using the crockpot to cook down the fruit!! It takes longer (all night) but I don't have to stand over the hot stove stirring and stirring trying to make sure it doesn't scorch or burn. Preliminary taste testing by my daughter implies we have a hit! I procesed 5 pints and I still have 20#+ to figure out what to do with.. we got a little carried away while picking lol.

annette FS#1372

Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2011 :  7:08:45 PM  Show Profile
I use the muscle testing for everything and have never had any problems with it. I take the dose that I get from muscle testing and so far everything has worked out for me. I have even muscle tested for someone else and for my animals when they need something and I always go by what I get from the testing. For example tonight I mixed an oil for my mom for some pain she was having due to her health issues. Nothing else had helped. I opened my herb drawers (I keep my dried herbs in an antique buffet) and asked what my mom needs. I held my hands over each jar and when I leaned toward it that is what I picked up. Then, I took the jars to the kitchen and used a measuring spoon to get some out and muscle tested each one til I got the correct dose. I then mixed all of these together in some plantain oil (which I also muscle tested for) and took it to my mom. I applied this oil to all of the painful areas and she said that in less than 1 minute the pain was subsiding, she was breathing alot (and visibly) easier, and she felt more relaxed. She wants me to make her a larger batch tomorrow, lol.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

Do not ask the Lord to guide your footsteps, if you are not willing to move your feet--Dr. Kioni

Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2011 :  7:13:03 PM  Show Profile
Forgot to add, that I do muscle test with dried herbs, fresh herbs, liquids ( I use a medicine cup to measure for dose with liquids), capsules, pharmaceuticals, foods, drinks, lotions, etc. You can muscle test for ANYTHING and EVERYTHING!!!

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

Go to Top of Page

Cabin Dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Brenda
Cortland NY
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2011 :  12:53:48 PM  Show Profile
That just amazes me Rachel. There is soooooo much to learn!!!
I am excited, I just ordered a couple Rosemary Gladstar's books, can't wait to get them!

Farmgirl #1954
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2011 :  8:20:55 PM  Show Profile
It's really cool. I used to think it was a bunch of hooey until my herbalist got me to actually do it one day in her store and had me test different herbs, foods and drinks. Been a firm believer and practitioner of it since.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

Go to Top of Page

Tn.Earthmama
True Blue Farmgirl

451 Posts

Phyllis
Englewood Tennessee
451 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2011 :  06:59:50 AM  Show Profile
Hi all, having a bad crash health wise, hope to be back soon. hope everyone is having a great weekend. blessings Phyllis
Go to Top of Page

mamashaw
True Blue Farmgirl

268 Posts

Annette
Cahokia IL
USA
268 Posts

Posted - Oct 08 2011 :  8:46:26 PM  Show Profile
Phyllis, your'e in my thoughts.

annette FS#1372

Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2011 :  10:34:20 AM  Show Profile
Phyllis, good vibrations are coming your way from all these "witchy farmgirls." Take advantage of everything you have and everything you know to regain your health. Blessings!
Go to Top of Page

Cabin Dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Brenda
Cortland NY
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2011 :  12:55:42 PM  Show Profile
Thinking of you Phyllis!

Farmgirl #1954
Go to Top of Page

Cate1313
True Blue Farmgirl

67 Posts

Cate
Manlius NY
USA
67 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2011 :  09:38:58 AM  Show Profile
Phyllis - thinking of you and sending you strength and health energy!

~Cate
Farmgirl Sister #3450

I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night - Sarah Williams
Go to Top of Page

Motholelis Mom
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Deborah
Louisville CO
USA
37 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2011 :  11:56:48 AM  Show Profile
Healing thoughts and blessings coming your way, Phyllis, from every single direction.

Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling.
-- Margaret B. Runbeck
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 83 Gathered Up: Previous Topic witchy farmgirls? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page