julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2006 :  8:29:00 PM  Show Profile
I recently bought an industrial size paper shredder for all of our junk mail, magazine, newspapers, etc. My son LOVES, LOVES, LOVES to operate the shredder. It kept him busy for an hour! I tear individual pages from magazines, tear the newspaper to make it fit and open envelopes and sort them so they're easy to handle. He does one page at a time..so meticulous.. Its great because he can watch the shreddings through a little window fall into an attached basket.. fantastic! We take all of the shreddings and throw them in with the chickens..later it will all go into the gardens and compost..fun! Julia Hayes

being simple to simply be

cajungal
True Blue Farmgirl

2348 Posts

Catherine Farmgirl Sister #76
Houston Area Texas
2348 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2006 :  04:42:25 AM  Show Profile
How fun! Industrial size....wow, you're serious. My girls enjoyed shredding things in our small shredder....only up to 3 pages at a time. I eventually had to be real careful because they would shred things without me knowing. To this day I don't know what's gone. But, I guess if no one has sent me a nasty letter about a bill being past due, I'm okay.

Great idea about putting them in with the chickens. I used to put them in the burn pile. But, what a great way to recycle and get future compost! I think I may start shredding again!

Blessings
Catherine

One of the best compliments from one of my daughters: "Moma, you smell good...like dirt."
Go to Top of Page

Rebekka Mae
True Blue Farmgirl

965 Posts

Rebekka
Moscow ID
USA
965 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2006 :  1:46:27 PM  Show Profile
Oh how fun! Just be real careful- I read a story awhile back about a man who caught his finger in one trying to free his dogs tounge- what a wierd story, anyway the dog had to be put down and the man lost at least that finger...make me a little nervous as kids are very impulsive and might decide to pull something out that they should not have put in.
Anway- I am sure you are always there with him but watch out! Hugs, Rebekka
Go to Top of Page

YiberryYadeeKarin
True Blue Farmgirl

343 Posts

Karin
Spokane Valley WA
USA
343 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2006 :  2:59:36 PM  Show Profile
I think the story about the dog getting it's tongue stuck in the shredder happened here in Spokane. What a HORRIFIC story. Sigh.

Not long after that happened, my boss was shredding papers and bent down near the shredder and his tie got caught in it! Fortunately someone was nearby to turn the thing off! I guess it was a scary moment. One of the children's librarian's put up a sign on it as a warming. This was right after Shel Silversteen's "Runny Babbit" book came out and the sign says something about "Beware of the Sam Dredder"... (you'll find that amusing if you know the book!).

Karin
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2006 :  3:00:40 PM  Show Profile
thank you ladies for the sage words of caution. So far so good. We keep a box next to the shredder that has all the shredding materials..to date, there's been plenty to keep him amused. He is fortunately a meticulous kid and by nature likes shredding one sheet at a time..he just recently taught his 8 year old cousin how to do it.. I overheard him say, "here, let me give you a lesson..one piece 'ata' time!" I was so impressed.. The lip on this thing is really well made that he would have to try awfully hard to get his finger stuck in there..even the pinky! The other rule..mama or dada have to be in the room while he's shredding..This thing also has a safety on/off switch. He'd have to figure out how to turn it on with the hidden switch in the back and then push another little button while sliding it to turn that on too...very nice feature! my smaller shredder didn't have anything like it! Its been great! enjoy, Julia Hayes

being simple to simply be
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic my new toy! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page